Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 50 of 201 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 200 201
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sir Allen it is.
That is my middle name also, two "L's" and an "E" close enough to ALL IN.

The MISSION that became a CRUSADE has been well and truly won.

The Knighthood will now be known as the "Brotherhood of the Forty-Five Bore."
The Brotherhood is ALL IN for the .458 Winchester Magnum.
We get together here to share experiences with any useful .45-bore rifle and demonstrate how the .458 Winchester Magnum
can be loaded down and loaded up for spectacular performance on either side of SAAMI .458 WM ballistics,
often with advantages such as increased magazine capacity (compared to the .460 Wby),
perfect throat for cast bullets including paper patched, etc.
.450 Nitro Express ballistics is just the middle ground for the mighty .458 Winchester Magnum.

We also like to make fun of the SAAMI .458 Lott, a most ridiculous abortion of a cartridge.
Always good for a laugh.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
GB1

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Do you think the 400-450 TSX will expand in whitetail deer RC?

Never thought about plunking one of them into a buck.

Sir Scotty,

Sure it will if it is going 1600 fps or greater.
At that impact speed it would be more likely to expand than the lighter .458-400gr X.
Sectional density drives degree of bullet expansion for any given impact velocity.
But not to worry, if it is a .458-450gr bullet, or a .458-400gr bullet, either one,
the deer will likely fall like this one did:

[Linked Image]

Probably less meat loss than happens with those rat calibers at high velocity.

Thanks RC. I wanna get the 458 out a little this year. Debating on sticking with the 250 Hornady Mono's or trying something larger. I would like to scoop up some of the 300 grain Barnes TTSX's if I ever catch them for sale. It'd just be for deer hunting this year, so I am pretty sure anything will work decent.

If you want to eat the deer, I recommend a 400 to 510 gr bullet @ modest velocity. I have killed several Sitka Blacktails with the 400 gr8 X bullet @ 2400 +2380 fps mv @ various ranges . they work great and don't bloodshock the meat . As long as you don't hit a major bone.
The 300 gr TSX and TTSX @ 2700 +fps mv are too much of a good thing . head, high neck or center of the ribs broadside are the only shots that won't waste I bunch of meat. I've killed 28 deer @ last count with the 458 Winchester . It works GREAT ! My favorite load for deer is the factory Winchester 510 gr soft nose . With the big bluish lead nose.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CTF
Do you think the 400-450 TSX will expand in whitetail deer RC?

Never thought about plunking one of them into a buck.

Sir Scotty,

Sure it will if it is going 1600 fps or greater.
At that impact speed it would be more likely to expand than the lighter .458-400gr X.
Sectional density drives degree of bullet expansion for any given impact velocity.
But not to worry, if it is a .458-450gr bullet, or a .458-400gr bullet, either one,
the deer will likely fall like this one did:

[Linked Image]

Probably less meat loss than happens with those rat calibers at high velocity.

Thanks RC. I wanna get the 458 out a little this year. Debating on sticking with the 250 Hornady Mono's or trying something larger. I would like to scoop up some of the 300 grain Barnes TTSX's if I ever catch them for sale. It'd just be for deer hunting this year, so I am pretty sure anything will work decent.

If you want to eat the deer, I recommend a 400 to 510 gr bullet @ modest velocity. I have killed several Sitka Blacktails with the 400 gr8 X bullet @ 2400 +2380 fps mv @ various ranges . they work great and don't bloodshock the meat . As long as you don't hit a major bone.
The 300 gr TSX and TTSX @ 2700 +fps mv are too much of a good thing . head, high neck or center of the ribs broadside are the only shots that won't waste I bunch of meat. I've killed 28 deer @ last count with the 458 Winchester . It works GREAT ! My favorite load for deer is the factory Winchester 510 gr soft nose . With the big bluish lead nose.

I thought I'd post a pic of the small Fallow deer I harvested with my .458
I was using a reload consisting of a Winchester case, 74gns of AR2206H, 480gn Woodleigh SP and CCI 250 Mag primer.
I admit, I was expecting caliber sized entry and caliber sized exit.

Well, anyway here's the deer I harvested...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And here's the exit...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Russ

Last edited by BadboyMelvin; 08/12/21.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's a helluva hole!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Great work and very interesting. Sir Ron, we salute you

For sure. That's great stuff. I like the looks of those Hammers..

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sir Russ,

That was just a couple of grains of powder above max for the Woodleigh Bullets Loading Manual.
That 480-gr Woodleigh probably expanded promptly, eh ?

[Linked Image]

Of course, in Australia there may be no bag limits and game meat is not hoarded like we do it on this side of the pond.
See Sir Spruce's recommendations on .458 WinMag deer bullets if meat preservation is a concern:
Originally Posted by CTF

There are plenty of choices, even down to .45-cal 300-grainer at as slow as 1600 fps MV impacting at 50 yards for a total bang flop on deer.
I have done that with a .454 Casull revolver on a nice fallow buck.
This is an example of comparative ballistics.
Even the Sierra ProHunter .458/300-grainer would be a dandy deer bullet in the .458 WinMag if you keep it below 2000 fps.
Sir Russ was a little over 2100 fps with his 480-grain Woodleigh soft I reckon.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL Sir Ron, that whole deal came to surface a couple days ago, was at Mom's and someone had a drivers license question, i pulled mine out, had my plandemic kung fu flu haircut in the photo i gave myself out on the shop with horse shears, Mom saw the pic and cried, she said you look just like you did in kindergarten, where did the time go?

Do remember several times over the years of her saying i had been shooting with Dad, Gramps and Uncs by then, also remember her saying i didn't like the photographer, looking at that pic you posted all blown up, i was probably wondering if i could whoop his ass ; ]

To "The Crusade Of Truth" 458 WM+ full speed ahead and no prisoners will be taken! cool

Sir Russ, good shooting Sir, bet that thing was delicious.

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sir Russ,

That was just a couple of grains of powder above max for the Woodleigh Bullets Loading Manual.
That 480-gr Woodleigh probably expanded promptly, eh ?

[Linked Image]

Of course, in Australia there may be no bag limits and game meat is not hoarded like we do it on this side of the pond.
See Sir Spruce's recommendations on .458 WinMag deer bullets if meat preservation is a concern:
Originally Posted by CTF

There are plenty of choices, even down to .45-cal 300-grainer at as slow as 1600 fps MV impacting at 50 yards for a total bang flop on deer.
I have done that with a .454 Casull revolver on a nice fallow buck.
This is an example of comparative ballistics.
Even the Sierra ProHunter .458/300-grainer would be a dandy deer bullet in the .458 WinMag if you keep it below 2000 fps.
Sir Russ was a little over 2100 fps with his 480-grain Woodleigh soft I reckon.

Sir Ron,

That load measured spot on 2150fps 3m from my chronograph. I thought it might have touched 2200fps but I was very happy with 2150fps.
It sure as heck must've opened up and I tell you, we lost some good meat which kinda sucked... but boy o boy, it sure dropped the deer!

Russ

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sir Jerry good memories

Sir Ron thos loads are top notch. Jeff Cooper's 460 G&A fired the 500 grain at 2400 FPS claimed effectiveness was spectacular.
At 2350 has to been a duplication of performance

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
... I like the looks of those Hammers.

Sir Scotty,

Me too. Hammer Bullets are as precisely manufactured as you will find.
I will start corresponding with them about making a 400-grainer of higher BC than the current .458-402g Shock Hammer.
2500 fps in the .458 WM Sub-3.4"
2600 fps in the .458 WM+ "Crusader" Sub-3.6"

Note that in the SAAMI .458 WM throat, at 3.450" COL
the "Mammoth Cave Hollow Point" .458-402g Shock Hammer is jammed into the rifling at end of throat.
Seat it one band deeper and it will be good in any SAAMI .458 WM and still too long of COL to fit in the .458 Lott throat unless you trim the Lott brass shorter ! grin

A pointier 400-gr Shock Hammer with a smaller diameter hollow point and slightly greater Bullet Overall Length is to be proposed.
Something similar to the 400-gr GSC HV but with the patented PDR drive bands of Hammer Bullets,
famously tolerant of any COL you like, even jammed into the rifling.

The GSC HV pattern:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2725 fps with 65.0 grains of AA-5744 is a most accurate and meat friendly limit with 250-gr Hornady Monoflex
for short-range deer hunting with the .458 WM at 3.340" COL.
69.0 grains gives just over 3000 fps but makes too much burger mixed with bone meal, and doubles the group size.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back to the earlier work with the GSC HV:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GSC HV 400-grainer started at 2500 fps has impact velocity near 2200 fps at 150 yards.
That will work with a Woodleigh .458-400g PPSN also, similar BC.
Expansion of the 400-grainer will not be as "explosive" as that of the 480-grain Woodleigh at same impact velocity.
"SD drives expansion."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry,
I had the same towhead hairstyle early on as you.
It grew out a little for my first-grade portrait in Columbus Mississippi:

[Linked Image]

I was homeschooled for kindergarten and went straight into first grade a few months before I turned 6.
My Irish Twin older brother started school at same time, both of us having been born in same year.
Mom needed the rest so was happy to send us both off to first grade together.
Older brother was a sissy and cried when Mom let go of his hand getting on the school bus,
and I laughed at him.
Baby sister cried everyday she got on the bus until after Christmas break of her first grade !
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Pop used to line up his 3 boys and run the clippers over our heads monthly.
By the time I was in third grade he learned to do a flat top on me.
The other two got a bowl-on-the-head style with bangs hanging over their foreheads.
Being the middle son, I felt special, 'cause Pop had a flat top too.
I think my hair stood up better than on the other two brothers,
and I have better hair to this day than either of them, even if it is white now.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin

That load measured spot on 2150fps 3m from my chronograph. I thought it might have touched 2200fps but I was very happy with 2150fps.
It sure as heck must've opened up and I tell you, we lost some good meat which kinda sucked... but boy o boy, it sure dropped the deer!

Russ

Sir Russ,
Apologies for a mistake I made in looking at the Woodleigh manual, mixing up the 480-gr FMJ load for your 480-gr RNSN load.
Your charge of 74.0 grains of AR2206H (aka H4895 Extreme) is one grain below the 75.0 grains shown as a maximum for the RNS 480-grainer.
Their velocity maximum was 2190 fps MV for assumed 24"-barreled .458 WM.
How careless of me. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Latest RIFLE magazine, September 2021, Brian Pearce has an article entitled "The Reinvented .45-70 Government." Pages 8-12.
His Marlin 1895 of 1972 vintage famously did a lot of work for him in Zimbabwe.
400-405 grainers were loaded at 1800 to 2000 fps.
"On a large Cape buffalo, 400-grain solids easily penetrated both shoulders and were very effective."

Hey ! The .458 Winchester Magnum can do that too !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
... I like the looks of those Hammers.

Sir Scotty,

Me too. Hammer Bullets are as precisely manufactured as you will find.
I will start corresponding with them about making a 400-grainer of higher BC than the current .458-402g Shock Hammer.
2500 fps in the .458 WM Sub-3.4"
2600 fps in the .458 WM+ "Crusader" Sub-3.6"

Note that in the SAAMI .458 WM throat, at 3.450" COL
the "Mammoth Cave Hollow Point" .458-402g Shock Hammer is jammed into the rifling at end of throat.
Seat it one band deeper and it will be good in any SAAMI .458 WM and still too long of COL to fit in the .458 Lott throat unless you trim the Lott brass shorter ! grin

A pointier 400-gr Shock Hammer with a smaller diameter hollow point and slightly greater Bullet Overall Length is to be proposed.
Something similar to the 400-gr GSC HV but with the patented PDR drive bands of Hammer Bullets,
famously tolerant of any COL you like, even jammed into the rifling.

The GSC HV pattern:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2725 fps with 65.0 grains of AA-5744 is a most accurate and meat friendly limit with 250-gr Hornady Monoflex
for short-range deer hunting with the .458 WM at 3.340" COL.
69.0 grains gives just over 3000 fps but makes too much burger mixed with bone meal, and doubles the group size.

Awesome info buddy. I need to break out the 250 Monoflexes again. I’ve got a pile of them devils.

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’ve never had any extra meat damage shooting my flat nose cast bullets at 1700ish in deer including both shoulder pass through. I did shoot a small doe bursting out of a thicket right in the front at close range and the exit in the rear flank had a good portion of her stomach out the hole. Strangely enough no mess inside behind the diaphragm at all. It appeared that the bullet sucked the insides out as it exited.
The Great and Mighty 458 Wm is a terrific deer rifle even here in the Home on the Range state.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sir Jerry,
I had the same towhead hairstyle early on as you.
It grew out a little for my first-grade portrait in Columbus Mississippi:

[Linked Image]

I was homeschooled for kindergarten and went straight into first grade a few months before I turned 6.
My Irish Twin older brother started school at same time, both of us having been born in same year.
Mom needed the rest so was happy to send us both off to first grade together.
Older brother was a sissy and cried when Mom let go of his hand getting on the school bus,
and I laughed at him.
Baby sister cried everyday she got on the bus until after Christmas break of her first grade !
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Pop used to line up his 3 boys and run the clippers over our heads monthly.
By the time I was in third grade he learned to do a flat top on me.
The other two got a bowl-on-the-head style with bangs hanging over their foreheads.
Being the middle son, I felt special, 'cause Pop had a flat top too.
I think my hair stood up better than on the other two brothers,
and I have better hair to this day than either of them, even if it is white now.

LOL, funny stuff Sir Ron, middle boy, uh-huh, then you were [may still be] the peace maker, i was first outta the chute, protector ; ] think i may have got my head stuck in the fence, have about a thousand cowlicks, Mom may have got tired of fooling with it and did the peel.

Thanks Sir John, yes, wonderful memories, lying prone in wet leaves firing your first scoped rifle [heavy Rem 700 in 6mm or 243, circa 1968] at paper pennzoil cans from a green duffel used as a rest never leave you either, i remember looking up and around at Dad, Uncs and even Gramps stiff arm leaning against a big oak tree in the yard smoking his pipe watching too, near 55 years, POOF! gone, damn.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Sir Ron: if I may - why does "buy a donkey = thank you" in your jargon? If I missed an earlier post on the subject I apologize...I'm a bit late to the party, but do have 5 .458WMs! wink

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
desertoakie,

"Baie dankie" is Afrikaans language for "thank you very much."
The Afrikaans pronunciation sounds just like "buy a donkey" in English.

If you have 5 rifles chambered for .458 Winchester Magnum you are almost as crazy as me,
and certainly deserve to be called
"Sir Ken" if you want it.

Crazy is good. Makes the world go round.
Some person considered this old bullet to be a good deer bullet at 2900 fps from a .460 Wby:

[Linked Image]

Ignore the CH4D Canntool cannelure above.
The original bullet was slick-sided, with no cannelures.
This does suggest how simple a good .458-400-gr bullet can be, and still get the job done,
even at velocities of less than 2900 fps MV.

Page 50 of 201 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 200 201

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.