-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Still need to run 64.0 gr CFE-223 + 250 NPT over the chrono.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Still need to run 64.0 gr CFE-223 + 250 NPT over the chrono.

With 64 grain, the 250 Interlock and a 28" barrel on my Highwall I chronographed 2745 FPS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JWP Any pressure data to go with the 64 grain load? Thanks

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Anyone running hammer bullets? It is readily available and seems like the 220 hammer hunter would be a great choice, I don't think I can stabilize the 254, just to long.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bobmn
JWP Any pressure data to go with the 64 grain load? Thanks

I used the Speer data to work up my load

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever notice how the “top” loads vary so much on the 35 Whelen?
Two places I first look have top loads six grains apart and with the same velocity.
I’m thinking that I’ll probably look at 350 Rem Mag loads and work with those figures. Besides I have a long relationship with the 350.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They vary for a number of reasons:

1 - some haven't done fresh testing using improved powders.

2 - they continue to publish old data that satisfies traditional thinking.

3 - it costs a lot of dollars to produce an entirely new manual. Hornady still publishes data that goes all the way back to the 1980's! If anyone should bring loading data for the .35 Whelen up to date, it should have been Hornady with their constant introduction of "new" cartridges as well as ancient!

4 - as some here have said, the .35 Whelen will get the job done on most things (especially deer) at 2400 fps from a 250gr at most actual hunting ranges, being satisfied with that and willingly blind to the fact that 200 - 300 fps more from a 250gr makes it easily the equivalent of a .338 Win Mag with less powder, weight and recoil!

See my recent blogs on the issue of the benefits of expansion ratio.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Anyone running hammer bullets? It is readily available and seems like the 220 hammer hunter would be a great choice, I don't think I can stabilize the 254, just to long.

I have a couple boxes of 220's I should try out.. I can't find my 200 TTSX's anywhere, so it might be a good opportunity to run them.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JWP: The Speer loading data has no pressure data shown for the 250 grain bullet in 35 Whelen. I assume your answer is no?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
JWP: The Speer loading data has no pressure data shown for the 250 grain bullet in 35 Whelen. I assume your answer is no?

Most load data doesn't list pressure data, so what is your point?

After nine loadings on the same case no loose primer pockets

Last edited by jwp475; 08/16/21.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bobmn,
It sounds like you are implying that Speer may have either failed to pressure test their most recently developed data (for which there is no excuse given the proliferation of much improved pressure testing equipment these days), or knowingly published data that exceed SAAMI specs.
I have done extensive testing of the Speer 35 Whelen PP-2000-MR data, documented on another site, and concur with jwp475 - the data are legit, pressure is a non-issue, and cases last forever.
I will grant you that I have not had my loads in my rifle pressure-tested. So you can "assume my answer is 'no'" too. But I do trust recently developed data published by legitimate American firms in this lawsuit-riddled era.
I noticed here and on another site that a lot of folks miss or gloss over the fact that the numbers jwp475 have posted are for a 28" barrel. That does get the speeds up to some pretty impressive numbers. But my 23" rifle comes in right at Speer's numbers. They are legit and safe.

Respectfully,
Rex

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CZ550

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I’m writing about identical powder and bullet, granted different barrel.
But the extra 5 grains of powder with one and both seem to be listed as maximum - with the same velocity. Further they are two trusted sources.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

2 - they continue to publish old data that satisfies traditional thinking.

3 - it costs a lot of dollars to produce an entirely new manual. Hornady still publishes data that goes all the way back to the 1980's! If anyone should bring loading data for the .35 Whelen up to date, it should have been Hornady with their constant introduction of "new" cartridges as well as ancient!

4 - as some here have said, the .35 Whelen will get the job done on most things (especially deer) at 2400 fps from a 250gr at most actual hunting ranges, being satisfied with that and willingly blind to the fact that 200 - 300 fps more from a 250gr makes it easily the equivalent of a .338 Win Mag with less powder, weight and recoil!

See my recent blogs on the issue of the benefits of expansion ratio.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Very well summarized! Thanks
Rex

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TRexF16

Bobmn,
It sounds like you are implying that Speer may have either failed to pressure test their most recently developed data (for which there is no excuse given the proliferation of much improved pressure testing equipment these days), or knowingly published data that exceed SAAMI specs.
I have done extensive testing of the Speer 35 Whelen PP-2000-MR data, documented on another site, and concur with jwp475 - the data are legit, pressure is a non-issue, and cases last forever.
I will grant you that I have not had my loads in my rifle pressure-tested. So you can "assume my answer is 'no'" too. But I do trust recently developed data published by legitimate American firms in this lawsuit-riddled era.
I noticed here and on another site that a lot of folks miss or gloss over the fact that the numbers jwp475 have posted are for a 28" barrel. That does get the speeds up to some pretty impressive numbers. But my 23" rifle comes in right at Speer's numbers. They are legit and safe.

Respectfully,
Rex

Spot on, and very well stated

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1 - some haven't done fresh testing using improved

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I’m writing about two trusted sources with their top loads 5 grains apart. Same velocity. Same powder. Same bullet.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger

I’m writing about two trusted sources with their top loads 5 grains apart. Same velocity. Same powder. Same bullet.

Different powder lots? Different brass than tested? A lot of Lapua 30-06 brass I have locked the bolt with a 3 gr (5%) charge reduction of a trouble free warm not max load wth PPU brass. All other components the exact same.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Here’s my first try with the 220 Hammers and PP2000. I settled back on 68 grains but so far it isn’t too bad. Recoil gets pretty lively though.

Last edited by beretzs; 08/17/21.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

Here’s my first try with the 220 Hammers and PP2000. I settled back on 68 grains but so far it isn’t too bad. Recoil gets pretty lively though.

That load looks like real hammer LOL

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Looks pretty solid, I think I will get a couple boxes and give it a shot. I cannot find the 200ttsx anywhere.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

Looks pretty solid, I think I will get a couple boxes and give it a shot. I cannot find the 200ttsx anywhere.

It makes me nuts, since I have a great load with the 200 TTSX at 2900 I would be completely happy with using. I am sure once I get the Hammers sorted out the TTSX's will be available everywhere.

Semper Fi
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.