Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Figured the labradar out today. Gotta be on handgun mode to pick up the slow loads. Higher loads I had to switch back to rifle mode. Odd. You'd think it'd pick it up regardless. But it doesn't.

Still running 300gr Deep Curls. Got them upto about 1900fps and didn't see pressure signs. Definitely a thumper. All loads I've ran seem to shoot well.

I did find 250gr TTSX bullets today. Providing they shoot, that's what I will be hunting with.

Not sure if it's the Dillon powder drops of just nature of the round...ES and SDs are large. Not that it'll ever make a difference for my work. Will run my V3 when I get serious just to see. For what it is, I won't get too carried away with load development. I'll be happy with a couple inches at 100. I've killed a few deer and have yet to shoot one further than about 75yds....which is why I have small, lightweight big ole heavy hitters in the closet. They fit my hunting style perfectly.

Pulled the stock off just to check my bedding. That recoil in that little stock...I wanted to make sure nothing was cracking or anything. Good and tight and all looks good.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMy brother and I built a 45x45 45 cal 45mm long We used a 700 long (all I had) I use a regular belted mag case cut down to 1.75 inches 325 Hornady at 2200 is plenty for Mich deer

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That reminds me. I gotta tweak the mag still to get it to feed.

I think I have it though. I had it feeding empty brass no problem. Now it's going halfway and jamming loaded rounds...when I had it feeding, it was before the new bottom metal and stock slimming. I have to grind the down to actually fit. I think its biding and the spring/follower/rounds aren't doing what they should. I have a few followers and boxes to tinker with.

Anyone have ideas on feeding?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, if I had of started here I may have saved some time. Playing with a .430 based on the 400 Whelen case from Quality Cartridge. The QQ 400 Whelen is blown out straight. .473 from rim to mouth. The .430 Hornady 265 gr FTX drops right in the case. We ran it through a 444 Marlin die and it fits nice. While playing, I saw a box of 225 grain Hornady .451's, for my friends Bushmaster on the shelf. They fit the QQ 400 Whelen case perfect. So, may shift gears and try the .451.

Back to our first attempt at the .430 version, we trimmed the case to 2.25" and seated the 265 grain FTX to the canalure. It fit's our Savage 99 C magazine perfect. Snapped it into a 99C and the bolt pics the cartridge up and pushes it forward smooth as silk, lined up dead on the bore. Any suggestions? We are about to punch a hole in a piece of steel and call it our test barrel.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 09/07/21.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The magazine holds 3 rounds, the two rounds above are dummies slapped together on short order. They are not perfect, yet.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Joe, sounds interesting! Be interested to see where you end up!

So I'm all settled. Gun feeding like a champ and shooting like a champ. Never had to do any tweaking of the mag box or anything.

Getting ready for my Ohio trip. Today is one of the last days I'm not working or hunting before then so figured I'd hit the range 1 last time.

I worked up a load with the 250gr TTSX a couple weeks ago....never got to pressure. But got to plenty of speed and recoil. Lol. Didn't shoot it at 100 though. Was running 2rds looking at groups and chrono numbers and pressure. All the load data is for ARs and anemic at best so I was on somewhat uncharted territories with some good info from guys that have already paved the way.

Zeroed the load at 50 no problem.

First 2 shots at 100 went about an inch and a half high.

6 clicks down. 2 in the center.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I was very pleased. Pretty impressive shooting considering the rifle is just over 6lbs.

I pondered the trajectory. For my purposes, I opted to add 2 clicks up. Puts me a half inch high at 100 and a half inch low at 50. If that makes a difference in my life and not the deers, something is wrong! Figure I can hold dead on and not have to think about it for my uses.

I have the 250gr TTSX doing 2350fps from a 18" barrel. Should yield impressive results on game.

Hopefully I can post some performance updates in a few weeks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mauser,

Great looking rifle.

Not limited to a certain cartridge here where I live, but it's tempting to do something like yours anyway.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Turned out to be a heck of a little rig.

To stock was a big find. I saved a lot of money when I found it.

Will be a great rifle for my hunting needs.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.