Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by High_Noon

wink

ok. I will put it on the concrete floor in the garage w/ several runners and weight on top for a few a few months - or as long as it takes me to begin the project. But I draw the line at fat chicks. [/quote]

Just don't put it directly on the concrete. Put down some stickers to keep it off the floor.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scoony
Just don't put it directly on the concrete. Put down some stickers to keep it off the floor.

I was planning on using several runners between the slab and concrete.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/06/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
UPDATE:

I still haven't made it up to OR to pick up the slabs, what with all this ridiculous Kung Flu crap, but I have another question for another project:

What is a good type of planer to use on edges, i.e. the edges of a red oak plank .75" thick. I guess the old Stanley planers are some of the best.

Also, can anyone recommend a plane blade sharpening jig that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? While I was in Big D, I was working on a project for my folks that required a ~ 1" - 1.5" wood chisel and Dad's chisels are all beat to hell, so I had to sharpen one by hand. I started with "0" grit, b/c the edge was pretty beat up and the bevel was concave for some reason. I worked my way up to 1500 wet on a slab of glass, but it was all hand sharpening, which took well over an hour. I did a respectable job as it was shaving sharp, but it certainly could have been easier and faster with a jig of some sort. Near wore my thumb clean off trying to hold the angle steady.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have an old planer like new in box. Will try to dig it up, might be an old Stanley.

Its ether in my garage or the storage unit. My dad bought it.

Am under the weather so wont go looking til maybe tomorrow

Last edited by hookeye; 08/21/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
have you considered one of these?

Power Planer

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I missed wither is is dry. or not?

That wide a board might warp?

I'd think about cutting kerfs on the underside, they would not have to run clear to the end, and show.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
For a "one off" project, I will stick with my original suggestion. Find a cabinet shop. Have them run in through their power drum sander(s) until suitably flat and smooth. Will be MUCH easier and less cost to boot...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
UPDATE:

I still haven't made it up to OR to pick up the slabs, what with all this ridiculous Kung Flu crap, but I have another question for another project:

What is a good type of planer to use on edges, i.e. the edges of a red oak plank .75" thick. I guess the old Stanley planers are some of the best.

Also, can anyone recommend a plane blade sharpening jig that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? While I was in Big D, I was working on a project for my folks that required a ~ 1" - 1.5" wood chisel and Dad's chisels are all beat to hell, so I had to sharpen one by hand. I started with "0" grit, b/c the edge was pretty beat up and the bevel was concave for some reason. I worked my way up to 1500 wet on a slab of glass, but it was all hand sharpening, which took well over an hour. I did a respectable job as it was shaving sharp, but it certainly could have been easier and faster with a jig of some sort. Near wore my thumb clean off trying to hold the angle steady.

Jointer.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
UPDATE:

High Noon, If you were going to come through Wyoming a friend of mine has a planer that would do that job for ya.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'd find a local cabinet shop and run it thru their drum sander......

^^^This^^^ or a wide belt.

Your question is sort of like, "I need to dig a small foundation, can anyone recommend a good shovel and pick axe."

That said, a Stanley 220 and a No.4 are handy to have around.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
UPDATE:

No.7 Jointer

I've been using this Veritas guide for 20 years.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...1-veritas-sharpening-system?item=05M0210

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
UPDATE:

No.7 Jointer

I've been using this Veritas guide for 20 years.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...1-veritas-sharpening-system?item=05M0210

That Veritas guide is good to go if you don't want to freehand. However, if you're not making a hobby of this pick up an Eclipse knock off for about $15, it'll get you where you need to go.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...rgW5x8lUhSQvtyk2MySq7x6BV8xoCrOoQAvD_BwE

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Wasn't the de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito a wood plane?

I was hoping to see some of those. smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You can make up a jig tray to use a router as a jointer to get large areas flat. Works well if you take your time and are careful

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bm9SDuWIAk0

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Figured maple requires a VERY sharp blade to avoid tear out if using a planer- hand or powered... I use a number of different planes on my wood projects but a good Stanley #7 and a Smoothing or Jointer plane would do what you want to do... For doing edges, especially on figured wood, I use a Stanley low angle block plane to start with and decide which of my planes will work best for the finish work.... I have a pretty good collection of planes that I use regularly ...

If you are going to continue doing projects like this it will be worthwhile to invest in some Japanese waterstones for sharpening them and a Veritas angle tool or something similar to get them really sharp. With the Veritas, you start at one angle to get the bevel formed on several different grits, then you turn a knob and add a few degrees to the bevel tool to create the secondary bevel (edge). With the good King stones or equal quality stones, your edge will look like a mirror when you get done and be shaving sharp...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellers.

What I’m looking for now is a recommendation on the type of plane used for dressing the edge of a red oak board, ~ ¾” thick. My knowledge regarding different plane types and their specific usage is limited. For example, I understand that there are bevel up and bevel down planes, knuckle planes, edge trimmers, low-angle bock planes, thumb planes, jack planes, roughing, flattening and smoothing planes, etc., but I am not sure what type of plane I should find for my intended usage. Perhaps a Stanley 60 ½ would be a good choice.

hookeye: Thanks.

Rem141r: Yes, I have considered several power planes but it will be awhile until I’m able to make it up to OR, so I don’t really need one at the moment. Shipping is cost-prohibitive anyway.

Wabi: slabs have been air-dried for several years, but my latest inquiry is does not involve the big slabs. I’m looking for advice on a smaller plane I can use for dressing the edges of boards, & sharpening jig recommendations.

Orion2000: ditto

bryon: Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

kingston: Thanks. The 220 might be just the thing I need. & the Veritas guide looks good.

hillestadj: Thanks, looks good as well.

Kellywk: Thanks. That jig looks good.

Sheister: Your low-angle block plane recommendation is what I determined I probably need, hence my Stanley 60 ½ idea. I do have a good collection of stones, but I have been meaning to find a few Jap water stones. I have looked at the King stones. Thanks.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, right now, it's between a Stanley 60 ½ or a 220. Gotta' figure out which one would be best.

- Del Gue
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Make sure it's sharp, and set right!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yessir.

- Del Gue
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I rigged up something similar to this but not as nice when I made a "farm house table" a few years ago. I'm not a real wood worker and it got way better results than I could have with hand tools.....

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,357
Posts18,527,093
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.