Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
100grNP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Started allipurinol about 50 days ago and am now on my 3rd gout attack. 1st two were just beaten back with prednisone this 3rd one is the worst. My diet has been about as good as it's ever been for the past month and the gout seems almost uncontrollable. Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm calling the doc 1st thing in the morning.

Last edited by 100grNP; 08/22/21.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allopurinol is the treatment for gout. It is not instantaneous. You may need colchicine to lower your Uric acid levels.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, watch the alcohol. Beer is high in purines as is red wine

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Allipurinol is crystallized angel piss. What a wonderful thing it is! Keeps my gout at bay.

Buddy of mine gets sicker than dogshidt on it though.

Anybody that tells you they “know” what is causing your gout is full of shidt. You’ve got to figure it out yourself.

MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You dont want to take allopurinol while experiencing a gout flair. It will make it worse. Don't ask me how I know.
Take colchicine to get the flair under control before using allopurinol.

Last edited by MickeyD; 08/22/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can’t take a pill(s) for gout and then continue to live the gouty, high-on-the-hog lifestyle.

You may have a level of kidney dysfunction.

Friskies and Puss-N-Boots canned cat dinner is also high in purines. (In case youre a hermit in a cabin living on $600 a month SSI)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
You can’t take a pill(s) for gout and then continue to live the gouty, high-on-the-hog lifestyle.

Friskies and Puss-N-Boots canned cat dinner is also high in purines. (In case youre a hermit in a cabin living on $600 a month SSI)

True.

Funny and true

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by slumlord

True.

Funny and true

Huh. Wonder what explains not having a flair up since I went on it 5-6 years ago without markedly changing my diet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MickeyD
You dont want to take allopurinol while experiencing a gout flair. It will make it worse. Don't ask me how I know.

Same thing my doc said when he put me on it, don’t ever take it during a flare up.

I quit using it a few years back and have had a few flare ups but nothing major, luckily.

Buddy said he used indomiacine (sp?) And prednisone last week and didn’t have the $hits like colchicine is known for.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I take Allopurinol for my gout and so do my two sons. It is my understanding that you need to be started on this with low dosages and work up to higher dosages until a balance is found. Also I was told that it is not uncommon for allopurinol to bring on gout attacks early in the treatment process. It did not do that for me but one of my sons got worse before he got better, and if I remember correctly they reduced his dosage and restarted up.

I am only taking 100mg, one of my sons is taking 300mg and the other is at 500mg.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Anybody that tells you they “know” what is causing your gout is full of shidt. You’ve got to figure it out yourself.

I agree with this, after having read all the threads on gout and theories on why and how to address it.

For example, cherry juice will make it go away...I bought two quarts of pure, unsweetened black cherry juice and when I felt a bout of gout coming on I drank a quart in one day and then s h ! t like a mother fk'n goose for two days while hobbling around the house on one foot.

I seem to get a kidney pain prior to feeling gout coming on, it's on the same side, left kidney starts to ache, left big toe joint starts to itch and then BAM.

So my theory is, being dehydrated over an extended period allows the uric acid crystal to build up in a joint, so I take a kidney ache as a sign of dehydration and start chugging water.

I have avoided almost all bouts of gout for years.

Dave

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is something called pseudo-gout. You get gout symptoms, but it's not from uric acid crystals. It is caused by dehydration.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Serious dehydration can cause you to pass out.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Every gout attack I have had has been related to a "beer event". By that I mean I have been at some place, football tailgate, weekend at hunting lodge, travel weekend grandsons hockey team, etc. where more than two or three beers were consumed. In most cases some distance driving to get home was also part of the equation.

Since going on Allopurinol and keep beer consumption to only a few each week I have had no problems past 2 years, but I am afraid to push it to "event" level.

Last edited by VaHunter; 08/24/21.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It did the same for me….

But even when I quit it - I was still getting Gout.

In the end I removed unprocessed wheat from my Diet - and I haven’t had Gout for 3 years now !!!

I had started eating Granola - ALOT - specifically, I was eating a couple granola bars for breakfast, and whole grain wheat bread…
My allergist told me that they have found out that Wheat messes with allergy reactions and I should drop it to see if my allergies get better.

I was having a sore foot - pre-gout, when I dropped it.. and it went away.

Then I added it back again - and within a week and a half - Gout hit…. SOB !!

So I dropped whole grain wheat and - no more Gout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I agree with this, after having read all the threads on gout and theories on why and how to address it.

l agree with this also. Over time, my attacks kept getting more frequent. My uric acid levels were at the high end of the normal range. I was taking a lot of colchicine. I went on Allopurinol to lower uric acid. I kept increasing the Allopurinol dosage until my uric acid levels were too low, and I still was having attacks. Negative rheumatoid arthritis test. Good lab values on everything else. My doctor finally said that he had no other advice to offer me other than to try a local naturopath/nutritional counselor. I tried that program and learned to lay off processed sugar and to substantially lower carbohydrate and gluten consumption. You start out with nothing good to eat and then add back foods over time. The naturopath also does some hocus-pocus "testing" and he put me on a bunch of supplements in addition to the diet. I thought the supplements were a racket, and I gave those up after a few months. (In fact, I stopped seeing him after about 6 months because I didn't need him any more.) I was able to drop all gout medicine (colchicine and Allopurinol). My uric acid levels are still on the high end of normal. I have only had one minor issue in about a year and a half.

I do drink a lot of water now. I have learned to substitute almond flour and coconut flour for wheat flour. I eat fruits instead of chocolate and cakes and more fresh vegetables instead of canned stuff. I was able to reintroduce whiskey (no sugary mixers) and wine into my diet, although I stay away from beer. P.S. I lost 25 pounds.

Everybody's story is different. It took years for me to get it sorted out.

Good luck!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Same thing my doc said when he put me on it, don’t ever take it during a flare up.

I quit using it a few years back and have had a few flare ups but nothing major, luckily.

Buddy said he used indomiacine (sp?) And prednisone last week and didn’t have the $hits like colchicine is known for.

Indomethacin SR 75 mg every 12 h is an effective anti-inflammatory for gout attacks. Be aware it is very hard on the GI system and is know to cause gastric ulcers if used for more than 10 day or so.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

This.

And drink all the H2O you can stand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Allopurinol is the treatment for gout. It is not instantaneous. You may need colchicine to lower your Uric acid levels.

I take allopurinol along with colchicine, doctor said taking one of them by itself isn't effective. been taking it for years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,383
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.