Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You guys are making it look like Stinky don't know what he's talking about. You are going to make him jump up and down and stomp his size five feet.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Most everyone at our club (except me) use Leupolds. I use Weavers. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
Most everyone at our club (except me) use Leupolds. I use Weavers. GD

Great scopes and I tried a T25 but I found the crosshairs too find for me on silhouette. Now resides on my Schutzen rifle which is much more like benchrest.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[quote=jorgeI]At the recent National Small Bore competition in PA, below is a survey of equipment used. I guess most of these guys didn't get the memo on Leupolds....

Shooting low recoil rimfires at 100 yards or less....
dave

Although I don't have the list, you will find 90% plus of the centerfire silhouette shooters shooting out 500 meters are using Leupold too.

The fact that we're shooting smallbore at 100 meters and less is immaterial in the often repeated fable that Leupold repeatable adjustments suck. Every match requires at least 4 major adjustments to shoot the various animals (for my rifle/scope/ammo it's from 0 on chickens to 11.5 on rams) plus an occasional mid-relay tweak for wind. In a season most of use will shoot 4-5K rounds. That's a lot of adjusting. If they didn't work you wouldn't see that much bias towards Leupold. .

But then, well, it's just facts, not hyperbole so worth nothing to the CF Optics section.

ESPECIALLY in the optics section... I started this thread on purpose and like flies around horseshit, enter the hyperbole haters...And speaking of recoil, I probably shoot more big bores than most folks and guess what? They track and hold zero.....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, they did

No, they didn't (do away with the 2.5x8).
They added a CDS with zero lock but still offer the 2.5x8. The CDS is not my cup of tea but they're still offering a 2.5x8.

We'll agree to disagree Mr. Skane. Same body/magnification, but not the same scope...in my view. Cheers, J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jorge old buddy! Hate to tell you this but another well known and respected forum member told me today his VXIII 1.5-5 crapped out on him. Had it mounted on a 458, lasted one shot today.
And my VX6 has severe tracking issues. Mounted on a super accurate 300mag, I was setting it up for an upcoming hunt when it started. Needed 2” elevation at 200yds, clicked it up the appropriate number and got 7”. Clicked it back 1/2 the amount of clicks and it went all the way back to where it was before!
Before I get the sermon about how great they are let me just say I’m no Leupold hater. Own more of them than anything else and have for the past 40yrs but please don’t try and convince me they track as advertised. They hold zero, look good, handle heavy recoil well and are light but accurate tracking is non existent. I’ve done the Leupold Shuffle for so many years I’ve gotten used to it.

Last edited by John55; 08/31/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John55

Way to come along and interrupt the Leupold love fest.

I too find some of these dudes who profess to have been using a hundred+ Leupolds for fifty+ years proclaiming that they've never had tracking troubles while trying to get them sighted in a little hard to take. I'll agree that they hold zero fairly well for awhile once you get them where you wanted, but I've personally experienced the Leupold Shuffle with a lot of different scopes from throughout their entire line.

I hope their luck and their Leupolds hold.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wonder if it was a winning scope or last place?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Starbuck

Someone has to provide “the rest of the story” so some unsuspecting newbie isn’t fed too much of the Kool Aid😎

All of my older Leupolds have been totally reliable and I’ve no intention of changing them out until they falter. But I damn sure won’t replace any of them with any new Leupold. I’ve already put a few other brands into service on certain platforms and will go to those when I need another scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I see for equipment on the first page is lightweight scopes with turrets and fine reticles and probably 1/8” adjustments. The tactical scopes aren’t going to be on that list so what does this prove?

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All of my rifles wear Leupolds.

I shot prairie dogs last weekend with my Tikka T3x Varmint (Land Whore) in .223 wearing a Leupold FX-3 12x40 AO Target scope, 75 grain ELD-Ms. Brutal on the dogs, typical shot was 300 yards, farthest was 400 yards. Only head shots counted.

Range finder on a tripod and a good range card.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John55:

I'm with you there. I still have quite a few Leupolds in service that I don't plan to change. Especially on gloss finished rigs, a lot of them levers.

I thought maybe the old friction adjusters were a little better, but I just had a 2-7 compact on a 358 BLR go TU a couple weeks ago. Had been good for roughly 500 shots on that platform, close as I can figure. Then, as per usual, groups opened up and up. Scope is likely 1993 or so. It is gloss; it fit and served the little BLR well for a long time. Curious to see if they'll actually repair it. Not really much for 1" gloss options these days. There are a lot of great LVPO options, but none that will look that great on the svelt, steel receiver BLR. If they replace instead of fix, I likely look for a gloss used Japan Weaver 1-3 or perhaps a used straight tube Bushnell of some flavor.

Last edited by Starbuck; 08/31/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
All of my rifles wear Leupolds.

I shot prairie dogs last weekend with my Tikka T3x Varmint (Land Whore) in .223 wearing a Leupold FX-3 12x40 AO Target scope, 75 grain ELD-Ms. Brutal on the dogs, typical shot was 300 yards, farthest was 400 yards. Only head shots counted.

Range finder on a tripod and a good range card.

Pretty explosive?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just reading through quickly I don’t see any bashing a Leupold but it sure is a thread about defending them. Why would anyone care what a stranger thinks about the scope they chose to use? I have 3 Leupold’s on rifles and they work. The rest have NF and SWFA’s. They work too

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The majority of my scopes are Leupold, they are pretty much set and forget and excel in that aspect. If I’m turning knobs, it is a NF, Bush LRHS, or SWFA.

I have added a couple of Meopta scopes to the mix this year. I do have a half dozen or so Sightron that have been solid and track well enough for rimfire. I have several Nikon that I’ve only used as set and forget. My USA made Burris are set and forget, I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with the new Burris and avoid them.

CK
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by John55
Jorge old buddy! Hate to tell you this but another well known and respected forum member told me today his VXIII 1.5-5 crapped out on him. Had it mounted on a 458, lasted one shot today.
And my VX6 has severe tracking issues. Mounted on a super accurate 300mag, I was setting it up for an upcoming hunt when it started. Needed 2” elevation at 200yds, clicked it up the appropriate number and got 7”. Clicked it back 1/2 the amount of clicks and it went all the way back to where it was before!
Before I get the sermon about how great they are let me just say I’m no Leupold hater. Own more of them than anything else and have for the past 40yrs but please don’t try and convince me they track as advertised. They hold zero, look good, handle heavy recoil well and are light but accurate tracking is non existent. I’ve done the Leupold Shuffle for so many years I’ve gotten used to it.

Im the poor sap that had my 1.5x5 die on my 458 today.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I did replace it with old M8 4x long tube I’ve had for quite awhile.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The scope was good on the first shot, the next one after racking the bolt was a blurry target. I said hmmm, I adjusted it back and forth and nothing helped. The old 4x works fine. Takes me a bit to zero the old friction dials but we shall see what it does.

I still have some 6x36’s on rifles as well that seem to track great.

As Kaleb mentioned, the rest wear SWFA, Trijicon, or NF.

John’s VX6 croaking is the same story as my two previous 2-12’s. Beautiful optics but could not or would not adjust properly nor hold zero on a 7mm Mashburn Super or 338 Win, neither of which are hard recliners.

Oh and the. 458 has never seen a load heavier than a 350 grain bullet at 2600 so I wasn’t exactly punishing it.

Semper Fi
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Looks like red blooded Americans shoot Leupold.....and the rest are sucking hine teet.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I got a like new Swarovski Z6I 1x6x24 with the illumiiated circle dot I'm thinking about selling at a deal...it can stand anything that little .458 Win..mag can throw at it

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy John, long time no see. If you look at my OP, I stated my reason for the post. I'm not a knob turner, but apparently those 80 plus folks in the competition were and I'm no genius, but logic tells me if the turning of knobs did not track, they'd switch scopes.

Just like you, all my scopes (but one) are the "fire and forget", that is why I like the B&C or reticles with the built in corrections on the crosshairs. As to scope failures, I've had one a high dollar Zeiss Victory and on a mildly recoiling 300 H&H Model 70, but unlike many here, I'm not vanquishing Zeiss' to the garbage. No love fest, I was just pointing out DATA and not opinion.

J

Last edited by jorgeI; 09/01/21.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Just reading through quickly I don’t see any bashing a Leupold but it sure is a thread about defending them.

Read again, it's a thread showing DATA, nothing more. And since *I^ started it, *I* set the subject....

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,036
Posts18,481,953
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.