Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Here’s the deal: Allis chalmers 6060 4 cylinder diesel. Fuel tank is above engine, gravity fed no tank fuel pump. I ran it out of fuel by accident - no problem filled it up, bled the fuel lines and filter all the way to the injector pump and it started a little rough, smoothed out and ran for 10 minutes fine. Then it slowly lost power and RPM’s and stalled out. From then on it starts and runs briefly before idling down and stalling on its own. The longer it sits the longer it will run before idling down and out. OK… starving for fuel so I checked and cleaned every line and fitting from the tank through the filter and to the injector pump including the bleed fitting at the injector pump and a new fuel filter. No change - it will start, rev up to full throttle, then slowly RPM down until it stalls. The longer you let it sit in between the longer it will run at high RPM before idling down to a stall - but only up to a few minutes max. I don’t know much about injector pumps, but maybe air in there and it’s not priming correctly?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Johnsclist
Here’s the deal: Allis chalmers 6060 4 cylinder diesel. Fuel tank is above engine, gravity fed no tank fuel pump. I ran it out of fuel by accident - no problem filled it up, bled the fuel lines and filter all the way to the injector pump and it started a little rough, smoothed out and ran for 10 minutes fine. Then it slowly lost power and RPM’s and stalled out. From then on it starts and runs briefly before idling down and stalling on its own. The longer it sits the longer it will run before idling down and out. OK… starving for fuel so I checked and cleaned every line and fitting from the tank through the filter and to the injector pump including the bleed fitting at the injector pump and a new fuel filter. No change - it will start, rev up to full throttle, then slowly RPM down until it stalls. The longer you let it sit in between the longer it will run at high RPM before idling down to a stall - but only up to a few minutes max. I don’t know much about injector pumps, but maybe air in there and it’s not priming correctly?

You might want to change the filter as whatever debris that was in the tank and lines might be obstructing the fuel flow. So while it may be air it might also be debris in the filter

I VOTED FOR TRUMP TWICE, AND WILL VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sounds like feul line obstruction. My tractor did that once and a wasp had gotten in a feul line

Last edited by jwp475; 08/31/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most likely there is a return line from the injectors to the fuel tank and it is plugged.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's always crud in the bottom a tank. If you run out of fuel, you'll be sucking the crud off the bottom and that will clog a filter. Clean or replace it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Might have a screen somewhere.

Check your tank vent too.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
and check the tank outlet too , with it running out , some trash may have settled in there

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know schidt about ag equipment, but if you have a 433T engine, they are notorious for flex ring failure plugging the return line. They used the 433T on Koehring log loaders. After you have double checked EVERYTHING to do with fuel flow... I'd bet flex ring failure is where your problem lies.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you’re sure the supply lines aren’t plugged, these two guys right here beat me to my suggestion. This is a common issue on the 100 series Allis’, I don’t know anything about the 60 series.

Originally Posted by 45_100
Most likely there is a return line from the injectors to the fuel tank and it is plugged.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
I don't know schidt about ag equipment, but if you have a 433T engine, they are notorious for flex ring failure plugging the return line. They used the 433T on Koehring log loaders. After you have double checked EVERYTHING to do with fuel flow... I'd bet flex ring failure is where your problem lies.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks guys, been through the lines, outlet, filter etc. several times looking for blockages and crud. Already tried the tank vent. Will try the return line next!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two links, same issues, all say clean supply lines, then look at return line like mentioned above.

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/ran-6060-out-of-fuel-i-think_topic152887.html

Injection Pump Ed on this link is a pump guru

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/1981-allis-6080-surging-issues_topic138190.html

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Also, if that's a 433T, it may have a Roosa Master wannabe injection pump made by Stanadyne. They fail frequently enough that every fuel injection shop in the US can re-do them for cheap, about 10 years ago, they were only 550 bucks your pump, 650 exchange with your good core. Now listen up...if you pull the pump yourself, learn how to time that sonofabitch before you take it off. Over and out.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Try bleeding fuel lines all the way to injectors

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Break a fuel line close to your injector pump. Wrap an airhose/blow gun with a rag and put some pressure in your fuel tank thru the fuel cap. If you cannot get fuel to flow out where you broke the line you have and obstruction. If that is the case blow backwards thru your fuel lines until it seems to clear.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You are tired of hearing from me, another thing, (knowing nothing about ag applications) every Roosa Master/Stanadyne I ever worked on has the fuel transfer pump in the housing on the far end opposite the drive end...and there is a FUEL INLET SCREEN in the end fitting, as insurance against filter failure. Take a look at it before going further. The long sitting period/ better revs makes me think it is related. Do not try to run the engine too much until you find a problem, the high pressure plungers will score and possibly seize, they depend on a generous flow of fuel for lubrication and cooling.

Last edited by flintlocke; 08/31/21.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks guys, been through the lines, outlet, filter etc. several times looking for blockages and crud. Already tried the tank vent. Will try the return line next!

The crud in the filter is not visible.

Are you sure that there is no fuel pump as gravity feeding would not run a constant pressure not to mention that it may be illegal. The pump may be inside the tank and may have it's own partially clogged filter

Last edited by Dustyone; 08/31/21.

I VOTED FOR TRUMP TWICE, AND WILL VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dustyone

Are you sure that there is no fuel pump as gravity feeding would not run a constant pressure not to mention that it may be illegal. The pump may be inside the tank and may have it's own partially clogged filter

I don’t know 60 series, but the generation before that was purely gravity without question.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I don’t know 60 series, but the generation before that was purely gravity without question.

Meaning no lift pump? Shirley there is an injector pump?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

Gravity flow to the injector pump (as stated in the OP) Our buddy Dusty is saying it’s illegal and impossible to not have a fuel pump such as in the tank which couldn’t be further from the truth.

And don’t call me Shirley. 🤣🤣

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ironbender

I’ve never banged a Shirley

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 59 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.