Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The only issue I have with them is they are HELL BENT on driving away traditional hunters/scope users. Otherwise, why do away with what was arguably two of their best? the 6X42 and 2.5X8X36? (and the B&C reticle)

Amen……

And we all knew Leupy was going use the Wuhan Virus as an excuse to keep their custom shop closed………

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never understood why adults care what other people buy/use because it isn't what they buy/use. It always seems like hubris when people believe that their way is the best way and infer that anyone doing whatever it is any other way is wrong and whoever does it differently is stupid. Heck, I don't care if people who I'm not related to take their next breath, much less what they buy/use for anythng.

That said, you've got to wonder about the guys using BSA and Tasco scopes. Using any BSA or Tasco scopes in a serious competition seems like a waste of ammo to me, but maybe that is my hubris showing up.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've never understood why adults care what other people buy/use because it isn't what they buy/use. It always seems like hubris when people believe that their way is the best way and infer that anyone doing whatever it is any other way is wrong and whoever does it differently is stupid. Heck, I don't care if people who I'm not related to take their next breath, much less what they buy/use for anythng.

That said, you've got to wonder about the guys using BSA and Tasco scopes. Using any BSA or Tasco scopes in a serious competition seems like a waste of ammo to me, but maybe that is my hubris showing up.

maybe they just enjoy the competition and that is all they can afford?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dave7mm
At the recent National Small Bore competition in PA, below is a survey of equipment used. I guess most of these guys didn't get the memo on Leupolds....

EQUIPMENT SURVEY LISTING - SMALLBORE HUNTING RIFLE SILHOUETTE

SCOPE MANUFACTURER
BSA 1
BURRIS 1
BUSHNELL 1
EAGLE EYE 0
MEOTPA 0
NIGHTFORCE 0
PREMIER 3
REDFIELD 1
NIKON 1
LEUPOLD 81
SIMMONS 0
SWAROVSKI 0
TASCO 1
VORTEX 3
OTHER 3
SIGHTRON 3
WEAVER 6

Shooting low recoil rimfires at 100 yards or less....
dave

Yes, but many proclaim Leupy's lose zero just sitting in the safe.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by John55
Jorge old buddy! Hate to tell you this but another well known and respected forum member told me today his VXIII 1.5-5 crapped out on him. Had it mounted on a 458, lasted one shot today.
And my VX6 has severe tracking issues. Mounted on a super accurate 300mag, I was setting it up for an upcoming hunt when it started. Needed 2” elevation at 200yds, clicked it up the appropriate number and got 7”. Clicked it back 1/2 the amount of clicks and it went all the way back to where it was before!
Before I get the sermon about how great they are let me just say I’m no Leupold hater. Own more of them than anything else and have for the past 40yrs but please don’t try and convince me they track as advertised. They hold zero, look good, handle heavy recoil well and are light but accurate tracking is non existent. I’ve done the Leupold Shuffle for so many years I’ve gotten used to it.

Im the poor sap that had my 1.5x5 die on my 458 today.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I did replace it with old M8 4x long tube I’ve had for quite awhile.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The scope was good on the first shot, the next one after racking the bolt was a blurry target. I said hmmm, I adjusted it back and forth and nothing helped. The old 4x works fine. Takes me a bit to zero the old friction dials but we shall see what it does.

I still have some 6x36’s on rifles as well that seem to track great.

As Kaleb mentioned, the rest wear SWFA, Trijicon, or NF.

John’s VX6 croaking is the same story as my two previous 2-12’s. Beautiful optics but could not or would not adjust properly nor hold zero on a 7mm Mashburn Super or 338 Win, neither of which are hard recliners.

Oh and the. 458 has never seen a load heavier than a 350 grain bullet at 2600 so I wasn’t exactly punishing it.

My old Winchester 70 in 375 H&H has had a pre-1974 Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x28 mounted on it since I bought the rifle in 1986 for my plains game hunt in Botswana. I haven't shot the rifle a lot, less than 300 rounds fired, but the little Leupold has maintained its zero and it has been run from 2x to 7x and back again hundreds of times. The rifle came to me mounted with a 2.75x Denver Redfield that hadn't rattled apart and has been repurposed on multiple rifles since then, mostly Remington 760s in 270 and 30-06.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

maybe they just enjoy the competition and that is all they can afford?

But you posted that this was a National Competition, which I took to mean that it was a high/elite level competition. Every serious competition shooter who I've interacted with has been willing to spend freely on gear and ammo if spending that money would help him lose a fraction of an inch of group size. Maybe National Competition shooters in PA are more casual than those who I have met.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder how many of the 81 are the long-since unavailable fixed 16x???

I still own north of 60 Leupold scopes all but a dozen or so mounted on rifles from 22LR through 375H&H. That said, any rifles I own that I use myself for big-game hunting have had their Leuopolds replaced with Nightforce NXS or SHV 2.5-10x42 or 3-10x42. Most of the supplanted Leupold's were/are Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 A/O or Vari-X II 4-12x40 A/O, all of them having been to the custom/repair shop at least once for M-1 elevation turrets. I'll admit, I kind of miss 14x when punching paper, but, it doesn't make the least bit of difference to me when actually hunting.

Last edited by horse1; 09/01/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am not a hater on them, just that I have had 5-6 now at this point that have failed to hold zero, lost focus, or just haven't dialed correctly over the years. 1 6x42 Fixed and the rest were variables of one kind or another. As a whole the 6x36's and older M8 4X's have been very good at maintaining a zero. I wished they made more stuff I liked as being a retired Vet gives me a great discount on them, but it's rarely used for scopes these days.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Howdy John, long time no see. If you look at my OP, I stated my reason for the post. I'm not a knob turner, but apparently those 80 plus folks in the competition were and I'm no genius, but logic tells me if the turning of knobs did not track, they'd switch scopes.

Just like you, all my scopes (but one) are the "fire and forget", that is why I like the B&C or reticles with the built in corrections on the crosshairs. As to scope failures, I've had one a high dollar Zeiss Victory and on a mildly recoiling 300 H&H Model 70, but unlike many here, I'm not vanquishing Zeiss' to the garbage. No love fest, I was just pointing out DATA and not opinion.

J

No one has answered my question of "how many were Tuckerized"
Cecil Tucker made a good living freezing the erector in leupolds for competition shooters and used external adjustable mounts to zero and dial the scopes

Last edited by jwp475; 09/01/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Teal
81 Leupolds used by 6 guys to get through the day (grins)

This is seriously funny.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Maybe they're looking to see if they enjoy that discipline of shooting sport for a season or two before they make a commitment on equipment.

If more people did that there'd be less posers and more shooters in the world.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475
Howdy John, long time no see. If you look at my OP, I stated my reason for the post. I'm not a knob turner, but apparently those 80 plus folks in the competition were and I'm no genius, but logic tells me if the turning of knobs did not track, they'd switch scopes.

Just like you, all my scopes (but one) are the "fire and forget", that is why I like the B&C or reticles with the built in corrections on the crosshairs. As to scope failures, I've had one a high dollar Zeiss Victory and on a mildly recoiling 300 H&H Model 70, but unlike many here, I'm not vanquishing Zeiss' to the garbage. No love fest, I was just pointing out DATA and not opinion.

J

Cecil Tucker made a good living freezing the erector in leupolds for competition shooters and used external adjustable mounts to zero and dial the scopes

I have a Leupold 12x with locked internal adjustments and Unertl de-horned externally adjustable mounts. I don't know who worked on the scope and have never heard of Cecil Tucker. Do you know if he marked the scopes that he worked on? This scope is on a Remington 40X-BR in 222 that I traded for but have never shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But you posted that this was a National Competition, which I took to mean that it was a high/elite level competition. Every serious competition shooter who I've interacted with has been willing to spend freely on gear and ammo if spending that money would help him lose a fraction of an inch of group size. Maybe National Competition shooters in PA are more casual than those who I have met.

One of the things about silhouette is it's set up with a classification system that allows everyone, from a beginning shooter up through master class, to compete with their peers. As you get better in NRA registered matches you move up through the classes B > A > AA > AAA > Masters. There is no qualification program to go to Nationals and IIRC there were on the order of a dozen "B" class shooters. In all likelihood that's where you see the less expensive equipment.

While a really hard shooting discipline to excel at, everyone can enjoy a pig target flopping over. I started with a CZ with Leupold 2.5-8X with a CDS turret I took off my .243, then to a Cooper with a Nikon 4-16 before I just said screw it and make sure I miss and not the rifle and went to the Anschutz 1712 with a 25X Leupold.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
RL Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
I got a like new Swarovski Z6I 1x6x24 with the illumiiated circle dot I'm thinking about selling at a deal...it can stand anything that little .458 Win..mag can throw at it

Cool - I'll take it - I'm sure you are just giving it away since it's not a Leupold and not worth anything. You are a "red-blooded American" aren't you?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

J

In over 30 years of shooting silhouette competitions at state and national level I have never seen any competitor use a "Tuckerized" scope. Tucker scopes were modified for benchrest shooting but they are rarely seen in that venue any more.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by drover

J

In over 30 years of shooting silhouette competitions at state and national level I have never seen any competitor use a "Tuckerized" scope. Tucker scopes were modified for benchrest shooting but they are rarely seen in that venue any more.

drover

Don't need them since most competitors moved on to more reliable scopes

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
I am not a hater on them, just that I have had 5-6 now at this point that have failed to hold zero, lost focus, or just haven't dialed correctly over the years. 1 6x42 Fixed and the rest were variables of one kind or another. As a whole the 6x36's and older M8 4X's have been very good at maintaining a zero. I wished they made more stuff I liked as being a retired Vet gives me a great discount on them, but it's rarely used for scopes these days.

This has been my rough experience too. The 2-7s of a few flavors and the common 3-9x40 VXIIs seemed to be the biggest issue for me, but it wasn't limited to just them. They caused me to miss a few critters over the years and wound a few more which turned into rodeos. Most times it turned out I was a foot or so off at 100 yards. The 6X42s have been solid for me and my one 6X32 hasn`t shifted POI at all, though it is on a puny .17 Rem that gets thrown around a lot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Maybe you can go give them a lesson on equipment and marksmanship next year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

J

I have a Leupold 12x with locked internal adjustments and Unertl de-horned externally adjustable mounts. I don't know who worked on the scope and have never heard of Cecil Tucker. Do you know if he marked the scopes that he worked on? This scope is on a Remington 40X-BR in 222 that I traded for but have never shot.

I"ve been in Cecil's shop in Odessa several times. Great guy who knows his stuff. If your scope is modified by him, it will have a Burris Posi Lock type nipple sticking out of the tube, usually at about a 45* angle from the turrets. It will have a screw adjustment in it to lock down the internals.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
All of my rifles wear Leupolds.

I shot prairie dogs last weekend with my Tikka T3x Varmint (Land Whore) in .223 wearing a Leupold FX-3 12x40 AO Target scope, 75 grain ELD-Ms. Brutal on the dogs, typical shot was 300 yards, farthest was 400 yards. Only head shots counted.

Range finder on a tripod and a good range card.

Pretty explosive?

Some impacts were damned impressive.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.