Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jwall
Jordan, I'm glad you're still here.

I'm sincere ! FIRST - I have no doubt the hi level math jargon you have used IS correct.

I don't have to tell you or mathman that I have NOT studied above Alg I II and Geometry. I did not take
trig or calculus......

So many of the terms y'all have used are ABOVE my head....I suspect others don't understand too.

IF we don't understand your terminology in real life then how are we supposed to apply it to the killing "mechanics"
of hunting ? NO criticism nor sarcasm. For Real.

I'm familiar with a FEW terms y'all have used but in hunting....??..I can't understand how they apply to
FLESH, BLOOD, & BONES -- not yelling just emphasis.

WE all have heard of "apples vs oranges" -------> that's how I see (understand) the comparisons using
sand, wood, dirt, --- vs Animals (flesh, blood, bones, hide).
I honestly don't see how an accurate comparative result can be had.

Now, (honestly) when you, mathman, a surgeon, or astrologer talk OVER our heads-- we don't understand.
No criticism.

I have dealt with people who don't understand auto mechanics or maintainance and they don't understand the terminology.

It's not that I think you are wrong on all of this....I can't see how you can deduce the amount of force used, transferred, or
wasted on an animal.

The mediums are SO diff it doesn't make sense how the math formulas (formuli) really apply.

That's the best I can describe it and I don't want to EXTEND my math level. LOL

No Harm, No Foul

Jerry

One way to measure force is Newtons Force which is 2.2 pounds times 1 meter per second. Turn bullet weight in grains to killigrams and FPS to meters per second and multiply the two together. Now you have the amount of Newtons force the bullet produces

How does that relate to Fig Newtons?

DF

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
laugh laugh laugh laugh ROF

DF

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can do mathematics also, I also keep tons of data.
Although, measuring and comparing performance is a bit of a compulsion, most of it is nearly useless to me as a hunter.
What really happens with the bullet on flesh and bone is predictable but cannot be verified by all this data we gather.
The most excellent rifle, with the greatest handloads you can muster helps little if your hunting skills are from a textbook or a YouTube video.
Kinetic energy, Hydrostatic shock, knockdown power etc are fun to assess but unless you can spot game, close in on it and shoot under less than ideal conditions ...you are not hunting, imo.
Yup, reciting biased opinions, cutting and pasting supporting info means zero . It is only an opinion .
One of many.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I'm sincere ! FIRST - I have no doubt the hi level math jargon you have used IS correct.

I don't have to tell you or mathman that I have NOT studied above Alg I II and Geometry. I did not take
trig or calculus......

So many of the terms y'all have used are ABOVE my head....I suspect others don't understand too.

IF we don't understand your terminology in real life then how are we supposed to apply it to the killing "mechanics"

I'm familiar with a FEW terms y'all have used but in hunting....??..I can't understand how they apply to

WE all have heard of "apples vs oranges" -------> that's how I see (understand) the comparisons using

Now, (honestly) when you, mathman, a surgeon, or astrologer talk OVER our heads-- we don't understand.
No criticism.

I have dealt with people who don't understand auto mechanics or maintainance and they don't understand the terminology.

It's not that I think you are wrong on all of this....I can't see how you can deduce the amount of force used, transferred, or
wasted on an animal.

The mediums are SO diff it doesn't make sense how the math formulas (formuli) really apply.

No Harm, No Foul

Jerry

One way to measure force is Newtons Force which is 2.2 pounds times 1 meter per second. Turn bullet weight in grains to killigrams and FPS to meters per second and multiply the two together. Now you have the amount of Newtons force the bullet produces

DF

DF it does, fig newton's are made of low density components and so they are not to heavy. If you walk up to that package of fig newton's s on the counter top pull one out and accidentally drop it on your bare toes it won't hurt to bad but you will notice it. If you had been wearing your steel toe work boots you ll barely notice the impact. So in effect of you give a fig about it then the newton force is applicable. But I digress and have just enough physics to go along with Jordan as he does know what he is talking about. You can tell that when he tells Mike wormer to stop ankle biting. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
now let`s throw in deer size with bullet speed and bullet caliber sizes, bullet grains ,weather conditions . and then we all have a favorite caliber/cartridge mine is a fast 257 Weatherby mag. this cartridge does smack bucks dang hard out too 500 yards sometimes farther. i am not sure what or why my 257 Weatherby mag. and few other cartridges cause but when i use a 100 gr. Nosler Partition at 3800FPS the bucks either go down or might make 20 - 40 yards and are stone dead, never had that happen with a 30-30 , 30-06 ,243 , 270 , 7mm-08 , 308 , 300 WSM. , 7 mag when i shot a buck at these lower bullet speeds ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sett aside the internal physics of how a bullet causes damage for a moment. Just review some of the observations made by big game hunters at the time of adoption of smokeless powders. High velocity (relatively) full metal bullets were observed to sometimes “knock out” game in a way not associated with black powder rounds. And also observed that some of those animals would subsequently pop up and head for the horizon. Or, just continue on as though not hit.
Big cat hunters learned that bullets with an impact velocity somewhere north of 2100 FPS were better at stopping a well hit big cat. The same was not true with truly large game.
Energy and extent of a wound are not closely related. A spearhead will do extensive damage with little energy expended. The same is true of an archery broadhead. Keith showed us that big slow hard cast bullets expend very little energy to cause long wound channels.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

trig or calculus......

No criticism.

wasted on an animal.

No Harm, No Foul

Jerry

DF

DF it does, fig newton's are made of low density components and so they are not to heavy. If you walk up to that package of fig newton's s on the counter top pull one out and accidentally drop it on your bare toes it won't hurt to bad but you will notice it. If you had been wearing your steel toe work boots you ll barely notice the impact. So in effect of you give a fig about it then the newton force is applicable. But I digress and have just enough physics to go along with Jordan as he does know what he is talking about. You can tell that when he tells Mike wormer to stop ankle biting. Mb

I agree that Jordan knows his stuff. I did study physics in college, know about Newtons other than the fig variety.

Was just messing with him.... grin

I'm not big on the German (Euro) system of metric measurements, Joules, Newtons, meters, etc. but understand they do have certain advantages in scientific endeavors. Besides, they sound sophisticated.... cool

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] I'm not big on the German (Euro) system of metric measurements, Joules, Newtons, meters, etc. but understand they do have certain advantages in scientific endeavors. Besides, they sound sophisticated.... cool

DF
[/quote]

Well, all except Newtons.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

trig or calculus......

No criticism.

wasted on an animal.

No Harm, No Foul

Jerry

Jerry,

Our conversation was over in the "knockdown power" thread but since you brought up this aspect here I'll answer here. Please rest assured that my use of terms like impulse, momentum and whatever math may arise is not to talk over anybody's head. These ideas are quite elementary in a careful discussion of collisions including the collision of a bullet with a deer.

Best,
mathman

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
MM

Thanks!

I never thot you were intentionally talking over our heads. Really.

ATST to us UNmathed peons <grin> I honestly cannot understand any
Corollary results from such diff mediums.

It seems to me to get comparative results the mediums would of necessity be
somewhat similar.

Let’s just say I can’t see it and don’t want my
Brain to Hurt. LOL

No Harm No Foul

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

trig or calculus......

No criticism.

wasted on an animal.

No Harm, No Foul

Jerry

Jerry,

I understand your point. I'm trained to use precise language so as to try to make correct statements. When I know I'm explaining something to a person with a non-technical background, I try to use more accessible language. I'll try to make my posts more generally accessible in the future.

In terms of the different media (sand versus flesh), we're not trying to make quantitative calculations, meaning calculating numbers, which would not be feasible based on the complexity of the living system and the lack of good data, but we are trying to discuss the qualitative principles (how the physical concepts relate to the situation at hand).

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Jerry,

Let's try this for a non brain hurting take on the knockdown aspect: The deer can't acquire more momentum from its collision with the bullet than the bullet brings into the collision. The bullet can't bring any more momentum into the collision with the deer than there was in the recoil of the rifle into the shooter's shoulder. Therefore, if the recoil didn't/couldn't bodily throw the shooter to the ground the bullet in and of itself didn't/couldn't throw the lengthwise shot deer end over end. Any acrobatics on the part of the deer result from the deer's own nervous/muscular reaction to being hit, not from the "physics reaction" of the mass of the deer's body to the momentum gained in the collision.

I apologize in advance for my inability to make it any more plain.

m

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good Enuff

Thnx to you & Jordan

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So what you guys are saying is Hydrostatic Shock is real, but only if the rifle has a Leupold scope mounted on it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not scientifically sure, but to achieve instant hydrostatic incapacitation, a big game animal would have to be hit with something far larger in diameter than a hunter can fire from a shoulder. Again, to me, it all comes down to bullet placement and if that wasn’t the case then nobody would talk about how important placement is.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I did see something that has always stuck in my head. Back about 1977 or 78 I was watching over the shoulder of my best HS buddy and he hit a doe at about 80 yards with a 220 grain round nose factory Remington load out of his 740 Remington 30-06 The doe was standing broadside in a soy bean field in pouring down rain. What was remarkable was at the moment of impact the entire deer went white from all the rain soaked fur as it expanded out into the surrounding air. It was a very astonishing sight and the rain in her fur went in every direction over every inch of her body at least two feet. The shocking force to basically dry that deer out in a millisecond was awe inspiring. Not sure what force caused that but it sure looked like it would have scrambled a lot of nerves well before the deer bleed out. She dropped in her tracks

Last edited by dimecovers5; 09/03/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by denton
Hydrostatic shock is an oxymoron. Hydro means water, (or other liquids) and static means at rest. The phrase literally means the shock of water at rest.

If you want to talk about hydrodynamic shock, at least the terminology makes sense.

Finally! Someone gets the physics right!

I've been preaching that very thing on this site for years. It's a misnomer, to be sure, but even the concept that it espouses is physically incorrect.

The cells that make up an animals organs contain liquid. Liquid is not compressible.

Just because the cells contain liquid does not mean that they are entirely liquid, or that the organs behave as an incompressible liquid. Can you take the lungs or heart in your hands and compress/squish them? If you put the organs in a bucket, do they flow to fill the container? The organs behave like a solid, not an incompressible liquid.

The holes in vital organs are caused by two things: Mechanically by the bullet actually tearing up the organ cells, and Hydraulically by the energy from the bullet transferred to the liquid in the organ cells that causes enough pressure that exceeds the flexibility of the cell walls and the cells rupture.

The holes in vital organs are caused by mechanical displacement. Cellular damage can occur by cells rupturing from pressure or mechanical disruption (on a slightly larger scale this can be seen as bruising), but the macroscopic holes you see are caused by mechanical displacement.

Look at the damage around the wound channel that the bullet made in the animal's tissues. The damage in and around the wound channel increases with the diameter of the bullet AND with the kinetic energy of the bullet.

That is largely due to velocity being correlated with primary and secondary fragmentation, and the impulse of the interaction between the bullet and the flesh.

I have recovered solid copper Barnes bullets from animals where the bullet did not hit a bone and the recovered bullet weighed within a grain or two of it's original weight so the only mechanical damage was the bullet itself, and the bullet expanded to two or three times it's original diameter, yet the wound channel in the animal's tissues was 10 or more times the diameter of the expanded bullet. Animal tissues and organs are flexible. When a bullet passes through the tissues of an animal the mechanical damage to the tissues occurs where the bullet contacts the tissues, and the hydraulic damage radiates out from the bullet path and damages those tissues out to the point where the cell walls are not ruptured. Like a stretched rubber band, after all of the energy has been transferred and dissipated, the undamaged tissues move back to their original place.

This hydraulic tissue displacement shows very well on a slow motion video of a bullet passing through ballistic gelatin.

Secondary fragmentation doesn't have to be comprised of bone, it can also be made up of other tissue that gets dispersed very quickly as it is pushed out of the bullet's path.

There is some degree of hydraulic pressure in the organs when the bullet passes through, but it's not as large an effect as seen in a homogeneous fluid or semi-fluid medium like water or ballistic gel, due to the multiple boundary conditions in the animal's chest (hide transitions to muscle which transitions to bone, and then there is a transition to some air space, which transitions to lung and heart tissue, which transitions to more muscle and bone and hide before exiting) that don't exist in the homogeneous medium.

I spent a couple of years researching quantum neuroscience as related to consciousness, and during that time I had the opportunity to study and model neuronal networks somewhat extensively. I have come to believe that a bullet

passing sufficiently close to the CNS can cause enough mechanical disruption to send an electrical signal (similar to the "shock wave" explanation) that over-stimulates the brain and causes a loss of nervous control of the muscles (animal falls down) or even a loss of consciousness. This would be similar to a boxer getting hit on the jaw and being knocked down or knocked unconscious.

In my mind, there are two ways animals die via bullets: either the vital organs that supply the brain with oxygen are disrupted and the brain runs out of oxygen, or the CNS is disrupted and the brain is "short-circuited". Sometimes both take place, where the CNS is disrupted and the brain loses control of the body or loses consciousness, followed by being starved of oxygen due to damage to the heart/lungs.

I think a bullet can also dispatch a game animal ( ruminant etc)

Via peritonitis…..sepsis in the abdominal cavity.

And clostridium in the muscle tissue I.e. the muscle is non viable due to [ shock] oops

Goes anaerobic and rots……

Arrows can cause peritonitis but with such little kinetic energy , arrow shot animals will not very often have a clostridium demise.

Last edited by Angus1895; 09/04/21.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All concious and free willed systems are despised by the idiot tick-tocks that drive the pulsations of the universal quantum probability field. Hydraulic shock, suspending conciousness, can let in enough order to drown out the glorious disorder of the living mind.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
I did see something that has always stuck in my head. Back about 1977 or 78 I was watching over the shoulder of my best HS buddy and he hit a doe at about 80 yards with a 220 grain round nose factory Remington load out of his 740 Remington 30-06 The doe was standing broadside in a soy bean field in pouring down rain. What was remarkable was at the moment of impact the entire deer went white from all the rain soaked fur as it expanded out into the surrounding air. It was a very astonishing sight and the rain in her fur went in every direction over every inch of her body at least two feet. The shocking force to basically dry that deer out in a millisecond was awe inspiring. Not sure what force caused that but it sure looked like it would have scrambled a lot of nerves well before the deer bleed out. She dropped in her tracks

Indeed, About 1964 I fired a full metal jacket round from a 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano downwards at a 45 degree angle into a frozen pool in the river. The ice shot straight up about 20 feet, leaving a bowl-shaped hole about 16 inches across and 16 inches deep. After the ice fell back down and the woods went quiet again I could hear a hissing sound coming from the hole...at the bottom was the totally non-deformed bullet laying in a little melted spot...still spinning at terrific rpm's!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I saw that visual phenomena of hair turning white or maybe reflecting light, on a cloudy misty morning, on a cow elk hit broadside about 75 yards away after a night of pouring rain. The cow was soaked, outer guard hair anyway, and at the bullet impact her dark brown flank turned white and down she went. Getting ready to gut her after the adrenaline rush, I asked my buddy, did you see her hide flash white after you fired? He replied that he did see that and wondered if it was water mist. Sounded reasonable, since she was obviously brown when we started gutting.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 3,281 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,591
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.