Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone use a quilt with synthetic fill for back packing in cold conditions? I have a 0deg F down quilt that I absolutely love, but considering picking one up with synthetic fill for colder, wetter conditions. Don’t seem to be available under 20deg F. The only one I found down to 0degF was Outdoor Vitals LoftTech quilt. It uses 80% syn and 20% hydrophil down. Any suggestions or experience? Thanks.

Last edited by mod7rem; 09/04/21.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Synthetic OverQuilt, smaller down underQuilt. Cheaper, more functional.
Also more versatile with various combinations.

Helps keep your down inner bag / quilt dryer because dew/frost point is inside the synthetic over quilt.

See the Enlightened Equipment temp chart etc. On quilt layering, and double quilt pad straps

There was a small supplier on here who was making Spotting blankets with a couple different weights of ClimaShield Apex.
Haven’t seen anything recently from them.

Are you looking at Colder Wetter conditions than Zero F, or Zero C. ?

I’m not on the Wet Coast, so don’t have so much Cold&Wet conditions. Mostly Dry Windy Cold conditions on the other side of the Rocks.

Cheers !

Last edited by 338Rules; 09/05/21. Reason: Formatting for clarity

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Synthetic OverQuilt, smaller down underQuilt. Cheaper, more functional.
Also more versatile with various combinations.

Helps keep your down inner bag / quilt dryer because dew/frost point is inside the synthetic over quilt.

See the Enlightened Equipment temp chart etc. On quilt layering, and double quilt pad straps

There was a small supplier on here who was making Spotting blankets with a couple different weights of ClimaShield Apex.
Haven’t seen anything recently from them.

Are you looking at Colder Wetter conditions than Zero F, or Zero C. ?

I’m not on the Wet Coast, so don’t have so much Cold&Wet conditions. Mostly Dry Windy Cold conditions on the other side of the Rocks.

Cheers !

Yes I’m thinking about conditions below 0degC in the snow or rainy/snowy wet conditions.

I like the idea of adding a quilt over my down quilt, thanks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Quilts are oriented toward ultralight and down is the go-to in that area. Switch to a traditional bag and there are lots of 0 and below rated bags.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
double up as 338 suggested- use the syn quilt as an over quilt and a down bag/quilt underneath

a 50 degree Apex quilt weighs about 12 oz, yet will add ~ 20 degrees to your existing sleep system ie 30 degree down bag plus a 50 degree quilt gives you ~ a 10 rating.

I've added my 50 degree quilt to my 20 degree bag and sleep comfortably to 0 and as mentioned above it really helps keep your down bag/quilt drier as the moisture migrates outward into the syn quilt which can handle moisture better

I use a MLD Apex quilt and got them to add a poncho hole- I use this glassing in cold weather, just draping it over the rest of my clothing- works slick for that and gives an additional emergency layer if stuck out for an unexpected night out.

I think the reason you don't see too many cold rated quilts is they start to get unmanageably large (volume) much over 20 degrees; Kifaru does offer a 0 and -20F bag in Apex- they are going to be on the bulky side, but available

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go cheap and make your own. What's a quilt anyway other than a blanket with a closed foot box? Sewing any blanket gives you the same thing. Get an inexpensive warm synthetic blanket from someplace like Costco. Sew the bottom into a foot box. Depending on the quilt and blanket sizes, you can use it over or under your down quilt. I have a down 5x7 blanket from Costco that I use that way. It cost $20. It adds about 10F to the quilt warmth. I would get a bigger one if I did it again. It's a bit small.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use their down stuff, but they make synthetic and it's quality gear.

synthetic quilts

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered an MLD quilt to use with my down quilt. Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.