Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone use a quilt with synthetic fill for back packing in cold conditions? I have a 0deg F down quilt that I absolutely love, but considering picking one up with synthetic fill for colder, wetter conditions. Don’t seem to be available under 20deg F. The only one I found down to 0degF was Outdoor Vitals LoftTech quilt. It uses 80% syn and 20% hydrophil down. Any suggestions or experience? Thanks.

Last edited by mod7rem; 09/04/21.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Synthetic OverQuilt, smaller down underQuilt. Cheaper, more functional.
Also more versatile with various combinations.

Helps keep your down inner bag / quilt dryer because dew/frost point is inside the synthetic over quilt.

See the Enlightened Equipment temp chart etc. On quilt layering, and double quilt pad straps

There was a small supplier on here who was making Spotting blankets with a couple different weights of ClimaShield Apex.
Haven’t seen anything recently from them.

Are you looking at Colder Wetter conditions than Zero F, or Zero C. ?

I’m not on the Wet Coast, so don’t have so much Cold&Wet conditions. Mostly Dry Windy Cold conditions on the other side of the Rocks.

Cheers !

Last edited by 338Rules; 09/05/21. Reason: Formatting for clarity

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Synthetic OverQuilt, smaller down underQuilt. Cheaper, more functional.
Also more versatile with various combinations.

Helps keep your down inner bag / quilt dryer because dew/frost point is inside the synthetic over quilt.

See the Enlightened Equipment temp chart etc. On quilt layering, and double quilt pad straps

There was a small supplier on here who was making Spotting blankets with a couple different weights of ClimaShield Apex.
Haven’t seen anything recently from them.

Are you looking at Colder Wetter conditions than Zero F, or Zero C. ?

I’m not on the Wet Coast, so don’t have so much Cold&Wet conditions. Mostly Dry Windy Cold conditions on the other side of the Rocks.

Cheers !

Yes I’m thinking about conditions below 0degC in the snow or rainy/snowy wet conditions.

I like the idea of adding a quilt over my down quilt, thanks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Quilts are oriented toward ultralight and down is the go-to in that area. Switch to a traditional bag and there are lots of 0 and below rated bags.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
double up as 338 suggested- use the syn quilt as an over quilt and a down bag/quilt underneath

a 50 degree Apex quilt weighs about 12 oz, yet will add ~ 20 degrees to your existing sleep system ie 30 degree down bag plus a 50 degree quilt gives you ~ a 10 rating.

I've added my 50 degree quilt to my 20 degree bag and sleep comfortably to 0 and as mentioned above it really helps keep your down bag/quilt drier as the moisture migrates outward into the syn quilt which can handle moisture better

I use a MLD Apex quilt and got them to add a poncho hole- I use this glassing in cold weather, just draping it over the rest of my clothing- works slick for that and gives an additional emergency layer if stuck out for an unexpected night out.

I think the reason you don't see too many cold rated quilts is they start to get unmanageably large (volume) much over 20 degrees; Kifaru does offer a 0 and -20F bag in Apex- they are going to be on the bulky side, but available

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Go cheap and make your own. What's a quilt anyway other than a blanket with a closed foot box? Sewing any blanket gives you the same thing. Get an inexpensive warm synthetic blanket from someplace like Costco. Sew the bottom into a foot box. Depending on the quilt and blanket sizes, you can use it over or under your down quilt. I have a down 5x7 blanket from Costco that I use that way. It cost $20. It adds about 10F to the quilt warmth. I would get a bigger one if I did it again. It's a bit small.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use their down stuff, but they make synthetic and it's quality gear.

synthetic quilts

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered an MLD quilt to use with my down quilt. Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,860
Posts18,497,174
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.