-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
60+ is risky country. Time to prepare is before you get there. Little moderation in the news; high highs and very low lows. Retirement is an opportunity, not the end of the line.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB4

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
once upon a time, i was spilling my guts to a rabbi friend. (no, i'm not jewish.)

i was sharing that once i struck the wall a glancing blow. and how best to correct my sterring?

his response was hell, Son, you should have struck the wall head-on and knowcked a damn hole through it. grin

his comment sticks with me as perhaps the best advice i've ever received.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't lie, don't steal, work hard, learn a good trade/vocation, be honest to yourself, your family, trust in God, understand that it's not always black or white but there are some grey areas along the route of life, stick a few bucks back and don't spend every dime you make and above all HONOR YOUR WORD because in the finality....a man's word is all he's got!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SPIRITUAL

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Vertical Alignment . . .

GOD . . . who is the head of the

CHRIST . . . who is the head of the

HUSBAND . . . who is the head of the

WIFE . . . who is the head of the

CHILDREN . . . who should obey your parents in all things

MARRIAGE

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands love your wives even as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it.

Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

FINANCES

Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Proverbs 22:7
The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

Malachi 3:8-10
8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Haggai 1:5-7
5Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

6Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.

7Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

DEMOCRATS

Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First and foremost, you and your wife need to be BEST FRIENDS, then lovers and partners for the long run.

Always keep your word.

Always do it right the first time, don't waste life doing it over.

Always be honest, no matter what.

Love your country, hate the politicians.

Respect the law, never fear it.

In your work, ALWAYS ride for the brand or move along.

Admire those that have made it, DON'T covet their rewards, EARN your own.

Life is not about things, it is about family and true friends.

He who dies with the most toys is still just dead.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is not for the OP, but very related. It is what he can tell some one much younger than he is now.

"Young people can virtually assure that they and their families will avoid poverty if they follow three elementary ruled for success: 1) complete at least a high school educations; 2) work full time; and 3) wait until age 21 and get married before having a baby. People who followed all three of these rules had only a 2% chance of being in poverty and a 72% chance of joining the middle class (earning above $55,000 in 2010). If someone failed in all three of these, their chance of living in poverty was 77% and they only had a 4% chance of making it into poverty."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
2 Realize that you and no one else will ever be perfect.
3 Get used to pain and hard times because they are a'coming.
(Arthritis etc.)
4 Stay completely away from booze and cigs. (Cheap women too)

If you get confused go back to number 1.

Two of the best pieces of advice I may have ever seen. Wish I had learned them in my teens. When I did learn it was a lot later with a lot of dirty water under the bridge. But life got a whole lot better when I did learn and acted upon these.

Best advise!

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Don't lie, don't steal, work hard, learn a good trade/vocation, be honest to yourself, your family, trust in God, understand that it's not always black or white but there are some grey areas along the route of life, stick a few bucks back and don't spend every dime you make and above all HONOR YOUR WORD because in the finality....a man's word is all he's got!!

Good bunch of advice.

Most everyone will leave a 15-20% tip, even for barely ordinary service. But if one saves 10 cents out of every dollar he takes in, learns to live on 90% of his income, never spending his own 10% tip, he will be wealthy.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Several things I have learned the HARD way...#1. Treat your wife as if she is the most important thing in your life. ( If you wanna go fishing...ASK first. Instead of sayin.."Im going Fishing !"#2. Gotta be faithful...It ALL feels the same in the dark..except better with YOUR woman who loves you !!#3. Life is SHORT! You are gonna need each other & that's where you need that life long partner that you can trust..or she might need YOU to rely on like NO other time. # 4. A blessing is upon you..if you never paid child support,raised hateful step children ,or made your own kids hate you !!

" If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble,you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Qtip
1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
2 Realize that you and no one else will ever be perfect.
3 Get used to pain and hard times because they are a'coming.
(Arthritis etc.)
4 Stay completely away from booze and cigs. (Cheap women too)

If you get confused go back to number 1.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

A hearty agreement here and I might add one item to #4: flirting with expensive double rifles. cry....... grin

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Get a tattoo now before your skin gets any more fragile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

I just turned fifty and that is the same advice that was given to me by my dad. Very nice Sam!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pal
Same advice an old real estate salesman gave me:

"Get a lot while you're young."

And I asked, "Why, the land isn't going any where?"

And the old real estate salesman said, "'Cause God anit makin' any more land, but He's still makin' people!!! So, the price will go up!!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
To assure a lasting and friction free marriage, take your new bride some place remote and exotic for your 1st anniverasry
Many years of wedded bliss has proven my point. The plan is to return to that same place on our 50th anniversary...

...I may even bring her home then if she's learned to stop bitching.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Whatever you enjoy doing, do it now. Don't put it off until later. Make good memories. Also, always vote Conservative.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buy a chunk of land that you can pay for with a few years of hard smart work. Treat your wife and kids like you might not see them ever again tommorow. Be aware of the evil in mens hearts and be prepaired for it. Buy good guns and lots of ammo or the means to make it. Thank the Lord every day for his blessing and try to make him proud of you. The lord hates a coward. Have a gentle firm hand with kids, dogs and horses. Look every man in the eye and don't do anything you would feel guilty for doing.Find a good woman for a tailgunner not just a piece of tail.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm 60 and have made as many mistakes as anyone, more than most. The advice that stuck with me is that no man was ever on his death bed and wished he had spent more time at the office. Put something away for the future, but enjoy life now; you don't know how much of a future you are going to have.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread could be a sticky!

Bringing it back up to the top.

As one who has nearly completed 64 years on God's Earth, I think there is some really sound advice to be found here.

And some pretty dang funny stuff, too! smile

If you've never seen this thread, I challenge you to read it all the way through.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I'd like to know how the OP is doing 9 years on.

Did he follow anyone's advice? How did it work out? What would he change now that he's had 9 years more life experience?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Life is suffering.
Suffering stems from the feeling of loss.
The more attached you are to things the more loss you feel in their absence.
Decrease attachment, decrease suffering.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.