Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Since Plugs is flying many of these new illegals up to Fort McCoy maybe he can put em on the Reservations up there. I am sure they will repopulate a lot of the towns up there too. Surely all the Biden voters up there will welcome it & they deserve it. These illegals like to hunt & fish too but they could care less about private property/ trespass laws which is already proven by their actions, no licenses or regulations either. That ought to go over good with landowners & WI Warden Gestapo Army.

Last edited by GAGoober; 09/25/21.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Just go out for a walk and hang a few treble hooks every now and then.

Large Treble hook on a very strong steel leader attached to a steel cable about 4 feet high between 2 trees. Put a piece of meat on the treble hook. When the coyote or wolf jumps to get it they also end up getting it, so i have heard as told to me by an old logger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I’ve heard about treble hooks, also the idea of just putting the hooks by themselves in a beaver carcass. I can’t really support those methods, has the potential to bring attention like those that have set out poisoned carcass piles. They are very indiscriminate.

There are much more subtle ways.

Yes, just about all Indian tribes have aligned themselves with the left for politics. It’s a ‘you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours’ relationship. Just like when they invent a ‘sacred place’ to oppose a mining project, like the Eagle Mine, Marquette, Co, MI.

Of course they can do what they want, like shooting one of the few moose in WI a handful of years back, at night.

Some say, well whatever, we took their land back in the day. The welfare merry go round seems like it won’t end until we collapse.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Somebody should tell those wagon burners to shut the hell up or we'll dig up General Sherman and order him to finish them off.

North WI indians are Timber Nigers.

GOA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've lived on and hunted Northern WI for 40 years. Absolutely big, beautiful country. Plenty of room to roam and get away from other hunters. For most of those years we've enjoyed decent to good hunting. We've killed some really good bucks through the years, all on public land.

But, for the last decade or so, our deer hunting has been tough. We just don't see much for deer. Don't see large bucks at all. They're logging as much or more than ever in our area, so I don't buy that habitat is getting too old, which is the DNR's standard excuse as to why there just isn't many deer.

But, we do see wolf sign and wolves regularly. Our joke for years has been that, based on the amount of sign and animals we see, if there's only 1500 wolves in the state, there must only be 3000 deer. So I have to laugh at these estimates that 1/3 or even 1/2 the amount of the total population was killed off due to the wolf season overrun last year. Let me assure everyone that we don't even notice a difference; there's still plenty of wolves in WI.

Look at it this way, if they could kill so many, many more than the quota in a matter of hours, isn't it more likely that the population estimate was way low than it is that they somehow managed to kill off a third or half of an entire population within a few hours? Northern WI is heavily forested. Parts of it are big country. The season only ran a few days. It's just preposterous to me that claims that the population was devastated after last year are taken seriously by any sort of objective arbiter.

Last edited by Starbuck; 09/26/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starbuck

Look at it this way, if they could kill so many, many more than the quota in a matter of hours, isn't it more likely that the population estimate was way low than it is that they somehow managed to kill off a third or half of an entire population within a few hours? Northern WI is heavily forested. Parts of it are big country. The season only ran a few days. It's just preposterous to me that claims that the population was devastated after last year are taken seriously by any sort of objective arbiter.

↑↑↑↑
This.

We've got some awfully good hunters in the state but not so good to tumble that many wolves in such a short period of time.
If I manage a tag this year, I'd love to be able to call them at night but I'll probably enlist some acquaintances with dogs.

Also agree on the deer numbers in the northwoods. It's downright pathetic - so much so that I sold my cabin/land 5 years ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, here’s a picture from da U.P., bear pile. More wolves than bear.

Attached Images
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my view.......the reason for the increase in Wolves is the working together of the Indians and environmental groups to take control of game issue's. A Wolf will replace the need for Man to control wildlife pops.
I have seen that when Wolves kill everything then the game managers step in and the first ones who are limited is the hunter population, leaving the Indians with everything.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Since Plugs is flying many of these new illegals up to Fort McCoy maybe he can put em on the Reservations up there. I am sure they will repopulate a lot of the towns up there too. Surely all the Biden voters up there will welcome it & they deserve it. These illegals like to hunt & fish too but they could care less about private property/ trespass laws which is already proven by their actions, no licenses or regulations either. That ought to go over good with landowners & WI Warden Gestapo Army.

A good example of this was the resettlement of Hmong from Vietnam into parts of Wisconsin. Big violators. I had a run in with them on my property near the Lower Wisconsin State Riverway. County Sheriff was called and cited them for trespassing which they ignored and did not show up in court. Warrants were issued for their arrest (7 or 8 of them) but nothing happened. Wisconsin DNR was alerted to their activity in the area and pinched 4 of them for hunting small game w/o a license and shooting song birds. They did not pay fine or show up in court. The local DA had enough of their nonsense and contacted the DA in Dane County where they lived and warrants were served and arrests were made. A liberal group of lawyers came to their defense and some how charges were dismissed..

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yup. A lot of Hmong’s think they can hunt fish anywhere anytime no license no laws. A number of years ago near Meteor, WI a Hmong trespasser was caught by a landowner hunting a deer stand. During the confrontation the Hmong trespasser shot and killed the landowner. I would not be surprised to see many, many more trespassing & confrontations all over the country by Illegals because of the current situation. Anyone know what happened to that Hmong murderer? He is probably free by now.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Holy Smokes !!! I googled the POS murderer and he shot and killed 6 people & wounded 2 more!!! My memory must be fading.

Last edited by GAGoober; 09/26/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've lived on and hunted Northern WI for 40 years. Absolutely big, beautiful country. Plenty of room to roam and get away from other hunters. For most of those years we've enjoyed decent to good hunting. We've killed some really good bucks through the years, all on public land.

But, for the last decade or so, our deer hunting has been tough. We just don't see much for deer. Don't see large bucks at all. They're logging as much or more than ever in our area, so I don't buy that habitat is getting too old, which is the DNR's standard excuse as to why there just isn't many deer.

But, we do see wolf sign and wolves regularly. Our joke for years has been that, based on the amount of sign and animals we see, if there's only 1500 wolves in the state, there must only be 3000 deer. So I have to laugh at these estimates that 1/3 or even 1/2 the amount of the total population was killed off due to the wolf season overrun last year. Let me assure everyone that we don't even notice a difference; there's still plenty of wolves in WI.

There is no question the wolf population is increasing and has an impact on not only deer but the elk. Another predator should be brought into the equation as well, the Black bear. In 1989 there was an estimated 9,000 bears and the most recent estimate is 24,000. A couple years ago a friend and I were floating the Flambeau River for bass and we heard a bleating sound ahead of us and when we came around a bend there was a Black bear on the shore with its front paws on a fawn. It saw us, grabbed the fawn and high-tailed into the brush. A relative farms near Stevens Point and while he was mowing 1st crop hay a big Black bear jumped up ahead of the haybine. He slowed thinking maybe there were cubs still in the hay, but he came up on the remains of a fawn.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A number of years ago a black bear chased and caught a small fawn running down Main Street in Boulder Junction for all the tourists to see

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

↑↑↑↑
This.

We've got some awfully good hunters in the state but not so good to tumble that many wolves in such a short period of time.
If I manage a tag this year, I'd love to be able to call them at night but I'll probably enlist some acquaintances with dogs.

Also agree on the deer numbers in the northwoods. It's downright pathetic - so much so that I sold my cabin/land 5 years ago.

My Dad and his brothers sold their cabin and land near Gordon, WI for the same reason. The youngest brother bought a cabin and land east of Black River Falls and guess what? He and the gang are seeing wolves there. mad

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That area east of Black River Falls, Clark County / Jackson County area is some pretty wild country

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[/quote]
My Dad and his brothers sold their cabin and land near Gordon, WI for the same reason. The youngest brother bought a cabin and land east of Black River Falls and guess what? He and the gang are seeing wolves there. mad
[/quote]
I remember as a kid in the 1960’s my mom & dad & the good folks in the Eau Claire area referring to that area between Fairchild & Neillsville as “ Little Korea”.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

No one who as actually been in the northwoods and hunted there could possibly believe you could kill 1/3 of the wolf population in 3 days. There are so many millions of empty acres that is a ludicrous claim.

The reality is that WI DNR has been underestimating the true population for years.

The other reality is that a lot of deer hunters and farmers are going to shoot wolves on sight just like they always have, and the law be damned. I have very thankfully not crossed paths with a wolf while hunting my bird dogs so no hard decisions have had to be made on my end. I do know that a good majority of local sportsmen and farmers up north hate wolves with a passion. Seems like a bunch of big city lawyers and enviro whackos think they should have more say than the people that live with wolves every day.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yup. A lot of Hmong’s think they can hunt fish anywhere anytime no license no laws. A number of years ago near Meteor, WI a Hmong trespasser was caught by a landowner hunting a deer stand. During the confrontation the Hmong trespasser shot and killed the landowner. I would not be surprised to see many, many more trespassing & confrontations all over the country by Illegals because of the current situation. Anyone know what happened to that Hmong murderer? He is probably free by now.

I remember that. One time I was talking to one of our guys in La Crosse and he said one of those guys that was killed was a friend. He was really pissed off and didn't have anything nice to say about the Hmong.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
WI DNR also a number of years ago vastly underestimated the bear population. DNR is much too restrictive in their issuance of bear permits. They should open up a general bear season for everyone for a few weeks or so. The state of GA has done that in the N. GA mountains and it is still overrun with increasing bear numbers.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by EIB0879

I remember that. One time I was talking to one of our guys in La Crosse and he said one of those guys that was killed was a friend. He was really pissed off and didn't have anything nice to say about the Hmong.

I live just down the road from the Coulee experimental forest of 3500 acres. Beautiful piece of land. I have seen very few deer compared to the surrounding area of farms, there are no songbirds , woodpeckers etc. and I can count the number of squirrels I have seen in 15 years on one hand! Hmong hunt it heavily as do some others. I told this to a Warden who was questioning me at a trailhead and he would not buy any of it! The shape of things to come disgusts me!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,184
Posts18,484,764
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.