-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our insurance went up 35% just this year in central FL. and it is already 2x more than what we pay here for way less house down there. Traffic is awful and getting worse. In your case instead of flying down there to try to make a quick decision, I'd take that motor home of yours and look around down there for a while. A real estate agent will sugar coat any location to get a sale. My brother-in-law lived and worked out of Hollywood, FL. and moved to GA. for more opportunity and better hunting.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I was thinking Tallahassee west or maybe steinhatchee or Perry area.

what we call 'The Big Bend" area might suit you well. Not so many people. Apalachicola National Forest and Osceola NF are close by with good hunting, hiking and camping. The Gulf is right there for some really good fishing. Real Estate prices are reasonable. There are several 'fire members nearby to hang out and shoot with. Steinhatchee area is right in the middle of that area.

Sam......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I live in Tallahassee and work at the university. My sons and I dive the coast near St Marks, I can tell you quality water days are very limited and bull sharks are everywhere, we mainly spearfish but good visibility days are rare. BTW, my GF is also a dive instructor. As far as hunting goes, you have the national forest near by but I won't step foot in there during deer season as the dog hunters run the place, just not safe. You may have some limited draw luck on public areas but I've given up on hunting around here. I don't hunt hogs but I know there are many places in FL that offer pay to hunt opportunities. There appears to be way more hunters in FL these days and limited places to hunt. The best land is in the large plantations that run from Tallahassee north to GA but they are all private and are mostly managed for quail. They have lots of really big deer but hunting them is only for the well connected. FL is a great state with a good governor but most elections are close as the state is pretty evenly divided politically. Tallahassee is a very liberal city for what it's worth. My recommendation for hunting and diving would be west of Tallahassee closer to Pensacola. Good luck with your search!

Edit: After walking outside since my post, I realized why I can't wait to get out of FL. The governor is great but he won't be here forever, it's too hot to do anything outside from May-September and there are too many people for my taste. Traffic is getting worse by the day and is seems more and more people are moving to FL. I can understand retirees coming from the NE to escape the cold and heating bills, I would too, but for me it's just too hot and humid, I don't even want to go outdoors in the summer. It's too hot to go out on the boat, even the water to warm and not comforting. We mostly dive in the winter in wet suits when the water temp is below 60. Better visibility and much more comfortable. You may save on your heating bills but your AC will run non-stop May-September. I'm still looking for my "last home" and it won't be here, somewhere West but I'm still looking.

This is correct for the Tallahassee area and why I and others recommend west of Marianna Florida. Water changes further west where the gulfstream comes closer to land. I commercial fished out of St Marks , Alligator Point , Carrabelle , and Apalachicola for years and all the decent diving starts on the western edge of that area with the Empire Mica wreck. South of St Marks it’s all small ledges and live bottom with a couple of artificial reefs and small wrecks you would have to find on your own or someone give you the numbers. Tallahassee isn’t the place I grew up and is fast becoming a liberal chithole. Any thoughts of great hunting on public land should be forgotten. There’s plenty of public land but it is very tough to hunt. The swamps , palmetto and gall berrie flats are are virtually impenetrable. West of Marianna the terrain changes and the hunting is better. You will want to join a hunt club or two for a more enjoyable experience. There are good bucks taken every year on public land but it takes a lot of effort and local knowledge. 257bob isn’t kidding about the heat and humidity during the summer months. It’s brutal ! I fish mornings , evening , and night during the summer. There are no vast open tracks of open public land to roam like the west. That said the fishing is great and once adjusted to the local hunting it’s great also. There is a ton of both fishing and hunting to be done with long seasons and plentiful limits.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
negroes out the wazoo and spring breakers 6 mos of the year

Man that’s the life

They is boiled peanuts tho

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KFWA
Right now I am looking at Gadsden Alabama as my retirement spot.

Cheap cost of living, right on the edge of hardwood growth but still a temperate climate - a few scattered 70 degree days in February, and close to lakes and mountains.

I think I'm maybe 5 years away

I'm 45 minutes from there, we have some beautiful country here.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The boys are tellin you the truths. In case you get any wild ideas about hunting the WMA's in peninsular Fl re-read what Dave said above. It is spot on times 10 for anywhere east and south of Tally.

I live in central Fl, everyone I know hunts in Ga, or Al. I see more bucks in a day on my lease in central Ga than I would generally see in a season on public land in central Fl.

The straw that broke the camels back for me came one day in the Green Swamp. I had gotten up at 0 dark hundred, driven to the check in station, checked in , driven halfway around the WMA on the trails, and hiked in over a mile to get away from most of the crowd. I had taken a stand, up on a cypress stump that overlooked 2 trails and a pond. I had been on stand about 30 minutes, and the dawn was getting to the point of good visibility, when I heard someone coming from the trail around the pond. The other side of the pond was close to 471 the road that runs through the Green Swamp and Richloam WMA's. Presently this yahoo came up. He of course did not bother with checking in at the station, and had just walked in from off of 471. He had a cigarette dangling from his mouth, a beer in his hand, a few more in his pockets, and was waving his shotgun around quite a bit. He was also making enough noise that any deer within a mile would have easily avoided his whereabouts. We talked for a minute before he went on. I got down from the stump and left.

The hunting on the peninsular WMA's is difficult, and hot, full of mosquito's, cotton mouths, rattlers, and idiots.

JMO, but hunt at your own risk.

GW

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I spent 9 months in Fort Walton Beach just south of IH 10 and loved it but it's a tourist town with high property taxes and the possibility of hurricanes. We covered 5 counties so I saw a lot of the Florida panhandle. There are several really nice small towns along IH 10 with lots of state land close by where you can hunt and close enough to the coast (about 20 miles) for some really good saltwater (and freshwater) fishing. The beaches are beautiful white sand that the locals call sugar sand. The weather is much cooler and less humid than you would expect in Florida. I never had any problems with mosquitos but the gnats were really bad when it was hot. The best thing is that it's a very conservative area with few if any New York transplants. I think it's too cold for them. If you want to do a little ranching you can do that too. I was amazed at all the cattle ranches in the Florida panhandle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by victoro
I spent 9 months in Fort Walton Beach just south of IH 10 and loved it but it's a tourist town with high property taxes and the possibility of hurricanes. We covered 5 counties so I saw a lot of the Florida panhandle. There are several really nice small towns along IH 10 with lots of state land close by where you can hunt and close enough to the coast (about 20 miles) for some really good saltwater (and freshwater) fishing. The beaches are beautiful white sand that the locals call sugar sand. The weather is much cooler and less humid than you would expect in Florida. I never had any problems with mosquitos but the gnats were really bad when it was hot. The best thing is that it's a very conservative area with few if any New York transplants. I think it's too cold for them. If you want to do a little ranching you can do that too. I was amazed at all the cattle ranches in the Florida panhandle.

Most people don't know Florida has more cattle than any other state.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Wrong

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Florida looks like #18

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wrong

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

https://beef2live.com/story-cattle-inventory-state-rankings-89-108182

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
cant imagine living in the Northwest all of my life and then moving to a hot humid hellhole like Florida

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

wtf? where did you see this? on the crapper wall?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by strikeu

wtf? where did you see this? on the crapper wall?

Nah. That was your Mom's number I got off the crapper wall.

Lol.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the cattle I’ve seen in Florida looked like they’d lose a wrasslin’ contest with an Ethiopian for the last biscuit.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wrong

so whos right?.....bob

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by strikeu
if you move down here, you're going to dodge Tornadoes 6 months out of the year and the other 6 months you're in the Hurricane Bullseye. My wife and I moved back here after 28 years Navy and I can tell you this: Had I really taken a hard look at the weather, we wouldn't be here. this place is a weather Toilet.

we grew up here, all our Family has been here, and we can't remember ever having this much devastation. Just in the last 3 years The wife and I have been here, my moms place 20 miles away got pretty much Obliterated last year. we lived through 3 major Hurricanes in 2 years (they ran out of names for the Hurricanes in 2020) and Tornadoes tore up about 40 houses on Hwy 14 (10 miles from us).

It is only a matter of time before everything you own is destroyed, you can run and dodge but statistically, the odds of a Tornado hitting a specific point in Alabama, Florida, Mississippi and Georgia, is pretty freaking high.. Highly recommend taking a look at that aspect of it.

The theory is Tornado Alley is moving east.

Also old people want to be near doctors and hospitals.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt
Wrong

so whos right?.....bob

Not LD, but he ain’t no quitter. I’m rooting for him.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by BobMt
Wrong

so whos right?.....bob

Not LD, but he ain’t no quitter. I’m rooting for him.
😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 35, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.