Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hunt is based out of a lodge, so staff tips will be separate.

Is 10% + of the cost of the hunt appropriate?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
depending on service yes give or take

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've seen this come up a few times and thought 15% of the hunt cost was the norm. Most of it goes to the guide but anyone that provides a significant service like a cook or wrangler should get a share as well.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We always tipped the guide and the cook.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Since it's out of a lodge, I tip the guide 10-15% depending on the job he did. Lodge staff tips are separate.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Since it's out of a lodge, I tip the guide 10-15% depending on the job he did. Lodge staff tips are separate.

What if the hunt is 3 days and ends the first day with a harvest. Guide gets the same amount of tip for 1 day as 3 days?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

What if the hunt is 3 days and ends the first day with a harvest. Guide gets the same amount of tip for 1 day as 3 days?

If you're fortunate enough to make meat the first day, I sure as heck would.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just got 2 moose in Newfoundland. I tipped our guide 10% and a quarter off one of the moose.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep, that's what I am planning to do. Thinking I may just tip him the first day for the entire hunt.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. All dependent on service and effort. I tipped fairly heavily a couple years back when it took us 11 days to score a good bull on what was to be a 6-day hunt.

1Minute
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Two questions:

How much do you tip when your guide is the outfitter who collects all of your money?

How much do you tip on a southern whitetail (stand) hunt when your "guide" only drives you to the stand and picks you up?

These questions come up all the time when you're in camp.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
Two questions:

How much do you tip when your guide is the outfitter who collects all of your money?

How much do you tip on a southern whitetail (stand) hunt when your "guide" only drives you to the stand and picks you up?

These questions come up all the time when you're in camp.

Agreed this question comes up at the time. Simply put it’s no different than a good meal. 15% is the average. Start there and evaluate your experience.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep, that's what I am planning to do. Thinking I may just tip him the first day for the entire hunt.

dont do that.......what if he is an lazy...arrogant etc jackass....make him work for it....bob

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I hunted bear in Canada a few years back and spent time talking to a very wealthy hunter who just loved bear hunting. He showed me pictures of his brown bears, polar bears and grizzly's so he wasn't full of crap. When the question of tipping came up he said that you never tip the outfitter even if he guides you. This guy made a point of NOT tipping his guide/outfitter even though he was well to do. That's why I asked in my post above.

I have received decidedly poor service from guides on occasion. I feel obligated to tip them even when I know they don't deserve it. It like eating in a restaurant, you always tip even when service is slow or substandard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why do people feel the need to tip a crappy waitress.
Food speed and quality aren't her lane, but crappy service is.

The whole tipping thing is supposed to drive a waitress to do a good
job. But this tipping thing has gone nuts.

People trying to be the big tipper.
Trying to fele like a big philanthropist. (Ain't I just a great guy)

I've had servers that weren't worth the $3/hr their boss paid.
Didn't stiff them.
Left an insulting little tip instead.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dillon,
I hear and get where you're coming from. There is an exception to this....In the last year, I've had poor server service not b/c they were lazy, it was the contrary. They were the only ones working while everyone else was at home receiving .gov handouts. They had double-triple the tables to service and were busting a$$ and service was still not good. They get more than the 20% from me as they're getting it done.

On hunting guides, I've found 10-20% the norm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely.

A serious attempt is good service.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a hard time understanding a 10-15% of the total costs of a hunt. Why would someone tip a guide on the fuel or plane owned by the outfitter yet is part of the total costs of a hunt? A $30K sheep hunt guide is going to get $3-4K if he meets or exceeds expectations?

I typically tip the guide $150 a day for the total number of days the hunt is for. A 10 day hunt would be $1500 whether I killed on day 1 or day 10. Maybe this is cheap but I've talked to other hunters who have hunted all over the world and this is what they have stated but maybe things are changing and I need to re-evaluate.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have never hunted with an outfitter, but that seems very reasonable.

My hunt is 3 days and I was planning on giving the guide 100.00 per day, which is is a little over 10% of the hunt.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never hunted with an outfitter, but that seems very reasonable.

My hunt is 3 days and I was planning on giving the guide 100.00 per day, which is is a little over 10% of the hunt.

Yeah, same here. We tip waitresses because they rely on service tips for their income. Neat little trick restaurateurs have going, guilting consumers into paying their labor costs.

Are we to believe outfitters pay their guides the same, i.e., pay their guides almost nothing and expect customer tips to make up the bulk of their earnings?

Maybe so, I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.