Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
10ths make things a lot simpler.
Yes, there is zero reasons to go back to or still use Imperial System.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bend over baby I'll give you my 12.7!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Okay,.....

Note, it's 12.7 sounds way more impressive than 5...

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

ALL in FUN Boomer. You opened the door.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rickt300

An inch is 100 10thousanths. In fact when it comes to precise measurements the Imperial system has it all over Metric. 254 MM equals 1', 25.4 MM equals 1". Seems like it takes a lot more figures for metric.

Didn't I already point out the error of that line of thinking in an earlier conversation?

Yes those problems would not arise if all prints were metric and did not have to be converted to inches due to everyone having measuring devices made to define measurements in inches. That and you seem happy to have to add extra figures for some reason.

Yes but I disagreed with you. Your point generally is that with a calculator metrics are easier to use. I see no difference as to ease when using either metric or Imperial when it comes to tight tolerance manufacturing such as aircraft parts other than the number of extra figures needed for Metric. Metric does not have a usable form of fractions. Furthermore Adding the MM or CM or whatever after a measurement just plain sucks compared to " or '. The word mile is four figures and kilometer is 9, fluid measures are also long, like milliliter, deciliter, centiliter,liter and mega-liter. As for practical volume uses the milliliter has some value in small volume use. Most of the time Teaspoon and Tablespoon, pint, quart and gallon are much more useful volumes. Inches and fractions of inches are far more pleasant to use in carpentry, ask anyone. In fact a metric steel tape is an enigma designed to make mistakes more often. I guess you could say there might be a benefit if you told the woman you picked up in the bar your penis is 203 MM long. I'm sticking with 8".

Besides the fact that it takes some getting used to, there are, in my opinion, two significant deficiencies in the metric system.
1. There is no metric equivalent for the the imperial foot. The existing metric units are either too big or too small for convenient use.
2. While this doesn’t actually effect every day use, Metric countries also generate electricity at 50 cycles instead of the 60 cycles we’re used to. This is completely silly because. even in the metric system there are 60 minutes in an hour, not 50, and 24 hours in a day. A circle still has 360 degrees not 300. back in the days of analog electric clocks, it was physically impossible to make an accurate one on 50 cycle current. It would run either too fast or too slow.

One gram is defined as the mass of water that would fill a 1-centimeter cube. In reality how useful is the volume of a gram to most of us non drug dealers?

Common Measurements in Customary and Metric Systems

Length

1 centimeter is a little less than half an inch.

1.6 kilometers is about 1 mile.

1 meter is about 3 inches longer than 1 yard.

Mass

1 kilogram is a little more than 2 pounds.

28 grams is about the same as 1 ounce.

Volume

1 liter is a little more than 1 quart.

4 liters is a little more than 1 gallon.

I am prepared for your rebuttal!

Last edited by rickt300; 10/02/21.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

Geez 12.7mm is half an inch, I'm sure she is eagerly anticipating the destruction!

Dog I rescued in January

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Slavek

Funny how even Europe has never fully moved to metric. Imperial is just so much better as an overall measuring system. Math is more than just what you can do with a calculator, it's ease of use in real life is important.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cath8r
I use both as a tilesetter. In Canada, where I live within 20 miles south of Detroit Michigan, we mainly use imperial. I layout my jobs in metric and honestly it makes life alot easier. Everything in 10's and I can know about how big a piece of tile will be on the other end of a 100 foot room with about 20 seconds of quick head math.

I can do the same with the imperial system. Funny though most tile is made in various sizes of inches, a very common tile size is 1'x1'. So wouldn't it be easier in your 100' room to head math 1'x1'?

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
How many old farts are getting their medications in imperial units?

Yes the milliliter is the most useful metric measure for medicines. But how much Geritol do you take?

Last edited by rickt300; 10/02/21.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Slavek

You homos seem to like it.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My point has nothing to do with calculator use. My objection to your "logic" is that it's based purely on familiarity and the assumption that one must always start with some Imperial unit or other as the base.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Both systems are only as precise as your measuring device and one inch is still 25.4 mm 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mathman
My point has nothing to do with calculator use. My objection to your "logic" is that it's based purely on familiarity and the assumption that one must always start with some Imperial unit or other as the base.

It's simply a nicer and as well, a more natural measurement. The "foot" for example. Also the the foot being a dozen inches. The Imperial has more character. That is why when I sad above about the very tall young bloke delivering my stuff from the supermarket said when I asked him how tall he was he said straight out, 6 foot 8. Even though the metric system has been in Australia since about 1972, this young bloke at about 21 sure grew up with metrics but he did not say he was 203 cm, no, he went straight for 6 foot 8. The reason is simple, when you are that tall it is a very big feature of your character and to his mind deserves a lot more than 203 cm

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I remember reading somewhere that growing up using imperial makes you take to to math more readily, I grew up as we were switching to metric, all we learnt at school was metric, but outside of school people mostly still used imperial, so I think in a bit of both, if someone says they are 170cm tall it doesn’t mean anything to me till I convert it to feet and inches, but I think in kilometres for driving distance and speed, for measuring where accuracy isn’t important, I go metric, but for accurate measurements like when using my lathe, reloading etc I go imperial, can’t imagine reloading in grams, I’ve bought a mil/mil scope a while ago and have been trying to teach myself to think in mil, but I keep finding myself converting mil to MOA which is sort of annoying.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RufusG
" The British government said it was taking steps to return to its traditional system of imperial weights and measures, allowing shops and market stalls to sell fruits and vegetables labelled in pounds and ounces alone, rather than in the metric system’s grams and kilograms, ..."

No worries....

give ‘em an inch and they’ll take a mile.... 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Metric is a better system, by far.

Agreed. Wish we would go metric!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In Australia our imperial before the metric s _hit was stones and pounds. A stone is 14 pounds. So someone who was 12 stone 5 is 173 pounds. Straight pounds has never been used in Australia. So if some footballer is real heavy at 130 Kg the media will say ...if you don't know how heavy that is, he is 20 stone 6.

I think the American ton is 2000 pounds and metric ton 2200 pounds. Imperial in Australia is 2240 pounds. We used to have Hundredweight (cwt) and 20 to the ton, 112 pounds.

Our gallon is 4.545 litres but I think the American gallon is about 3.5 litres

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wasn't imperial invented by inbreds? You know, 6 toes on each foot and an extra appendage....

Grains are better than grams but.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
don’t get me started on beer pint glasses, every where you go they are different.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think it's so they can tell how much Megan and Harry's baby weighs without looking up the conversion tables:)

M7

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mauserator
don’t get me started on beer pint glasses, every where you go they are different.

I think we have that sorted out here now - we got pony, pot/middy, schooner, pint and jug. And I guess also stubby, long neck and Darwin stubby.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,590
Posts18,473,439
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.