Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Metric does have some cogent applications like I said before but those of you arguing about stones and hands are just barking the wrong tree when nobody has used those measurements since the 19th century. At least nobody to my knowledge uses those measurements today. The decimal system is far easier and less confusing To Me and my work. Those people here in America running around flailing their arms and ranting about metric being superior are at least amusing.

It all boils down to who likes what and I have never advocated for anyone to like what I like. If you are all in for metric then good for you. Be happy with your decision. My guess is that those arguing for metrification don't use it exclusively.

Remember the "One World Government" thing? It requires everyone to comply with World Standards; like it or not. Remember that when you mount your big old horse and decry everyone that uses the Imperial system to be some sort of rebel with a lost cause.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The baby weighed a 1/2 stone 3 oz.

Or roughly 3.25 kilograms

Originally Posted by ModelSeven
I think it's so they can tell how much Megan and Harry's baby weighs without looking up the conversion tables:)

M7

So, around 7#.
Quick dirty math.
Now there is a number I understand.

The argument of superiority when it's serious, is stupid.

Cherry pick the thing you want to measure, filter it through your
comfort with a system, and claim superiority.

Metric is usually easier for conversions.
Definitely easier for dosing meds.

How about weighing powder?
Or in building. Spacing joists/studs?

Funny, I don't think I ever had a Canadian give me directions using
kilometers. Always miles. I always ask, just to be sure.
That often pissed them off.

Metric sucks dick if you are tired, driving a load of paper through
Montreal in a snow, and forget that the ramp sign doesn't
mean 40mph. You forget being tired and sleepy real quick!
So I hear.

You also never forget the calculation.

And It was always a calculation.
The odometer had kilos.
But my mind shifted gears and picked speeds in mph.
Couldn't change, always did a quick "6x move the decimel" in my head

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Our senate back in the very early 1900's, like 1912 or something, missed converting to metric by 1 vote. It would have been far easier then. I think metric is easier working on cars. MM wrenches are easier as the higher number means a larger wrench for a bolt. English has stuff like 9/16's, 3/8's and such divisions of an 1".

We at one time back in 1996 when the Olympics were in Atlanta, has to install km signs on the interstate. We had to convert our pipeline installations to metric for permitting. 2" pipe was 50mm. 4" pipe was 100mm and so on. We installed them like 2m off the ROW instead of 6'. So on and so forth. Conversion for us engineers wasn't so hard.

Napoleon had the metric system devised because every country he conquered had a different measurement and scale system. So all Europe and their colonies converted, thus leaving England and all her colonies and ex colonies using the English system. In the meantime, China, India, and Japan converted to metric as well as the Arabic numbering system that we currently use worldwide.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm old fashioned in that I like my plywood in 1/2, 3/4, etc. I hate this x/32 stuff that they use now. I know it's closer to the actual thickness but it's a PIA.

If'n they'd just use millimeters, it'd be gooder.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I'm old fashioned in that I like my plywood in 1/2, 3/4, etc. I hate this x/32 stuff that they use now. I know it's closer to the actual thickness but it's a PIA.

If'n they'd just use millimeters, it'd be gooder.
Floor underlayment comes in 5mm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
8 oz of water weighs 8 oz, so a gallon is 128 oz.

Nope. A gallon of water is just over 133 oz avoir.

Are you mistaking US customary ounces for Imperial ounces?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It was in the early 70's when England changed their money system to metric and got rid of shillings. They kept the pound and broke it into 100 pennies that they called the new penny.
I'll bet they won't change that back.

having lived there in my youth for 3 years..... I know and understand the old British money system.... it wasn't that hard to understand.

I wonder if Britain going back, I wonder if the Commonwealth will follow suit.... like Canada for instance...

IN BC, they never changed the name of the town 100 Mile House, to 162 Kilometer House... so that would be a start....

actually I'd like to see society start thumbing their nose at a lot of this leftie crap, and start putting life back to normal...

Last edited by Seafire; 10/03/21.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back in my working days the California Department of Transportation decided all their roads and bridges would be built to metric specs.

What a PITA converting everything from imperial to metric when bidding big projects. Eventually worked up a cheat sheet to convert various specs. For example; 145.0377 psi = 1 megapascal.

Retired now so no longer worry about getting a bid wrong costing millions.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told there was an, " Engineers' Foot", A foot divided by ten.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can't remember which car it was that I had that was half imperial and half metric. I needed 2 complete sets of wrenches to work on it.

Ford did a lot of that.... my brother had an 81 Ford F 100, I use to have to fix for him.. ( checking the oil is a big accomplishment for him)... that thing was half metric and half the British/American scale.

If you ever needed anything to fix that truck, they wanted to know what plant it was built at, what week and month.. and half the time that didn't even work out.

I worked in an auto factory for 2 years in college ( GM ) we used what they brought to our station, where we were assigned.. I'd bet that is exactly what Ford did also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It all about 10/13

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm told there was an, " Engineers' Foot", A foot divided by ten.

Close, there’s surveyors feet. Those are divided up into tenths and hundredths of an inch.

I work internationally a fair bit. Gotta say the metric system is far easier! How many millimeters in a kilometer? 1,000,000. How many inches in a mile? You can’t do that one in your head. How about oz per ton? Cups per acre-ft? PITA system for anyone who actually has to use it.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I taught Introduction to Trades and Advanced Manufacturing to High School students this past year.

The students all easily grasped Metric. One, divided by ten, divided by ten etc.

Only a couple students were familiar with reading a standard tape measure and read one easily, they all became competent with a metric tape.

Tenths of an inch, rather than 16ths, added another layer of unnecessary complication, Metric is still a tenth of a tenth ...

How many ounces in a pound? How many ounces in a gallon?

Familiarity with a system that doesn't make sense, isn't justification to keep doing things the same way if you have a better, easier way that does make sense.
Try teaching it and see which WORKS best....

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in terms of measurement it doesn't effect me much one way or the other

but nowadays its very seldom I even use SAE tools anymore.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Educators might try teaching what is instead of what they want it to be.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My introduction to metrics was my beer can reading 355ml .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done, Limeys!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just me - but I freakin' HATE METRIC.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (300_savage, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 27 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,047
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.