Campfire Member
N
There's a sucker ( or a thousand of them it seems) born every minute

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nathan13

You, ummmm, probably don't want to compare photo albums with roundoak. wink smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup I use it some during rut. I’ve killed once or twice off a drag rag soaked with Tinks 69.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane

You, ummmm, probably don't want to compare photo albums with roundoak. wink smile

That's a fact isn't it Scott?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'd like for him to do that!

IC B2

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had small bucks come in on it many years ago. Shot few of them too.

Local brand from a deer farm in Kane is called West Wind Whitetails. Had good luck with it but never anything over 100".

Anymore I prefer scentless method.

Why go through all the effort to keep clothes and gear scent free then take a foreign odor and dump it all over your hunting spot?

Hunt...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It works in very late season well after the rut, too. Late December. I killed a buck that was running full tilt up a riverine that another hunter had shot at. I had small pieces of clothe tied in a tree about 6 feet high with drops of estrus on it. Wasn't Tinks, was something else, I can't remember, came in a little white plastic bottle with a flip up sprout.. That buck came to a dead stop when it got near that tree and threw its nose up in the air. Looked like he had a WTF moment.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I too have had good luck with using Tink's 69. More than once I knew the deer could smell me too, but they still came right up to it. I do take extreme care to scent control, this just seems to add another layer...

On the advise of a great bowhunting friend, this year I'm also going to try Wildlife Research Golden Estrus.

We'll see if NE WI deer can tell the difference! Lol!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 10/03/21.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I too have had good luck with using Tink's 69. More than once I knew the deer could smell me too, but they still came right up to it. I do take extreme care to scent control, this just seems to add another layer...

On the advise of a great bowhunting friend, this year I'm also going to try Wildlife Research Golden Estrus.

Human females smell different, as I recall from long long ago, so why wouldn't female deer smell different from each other? If the scent, whatever brand or style, is communicating that there is a doe in heat who is feeling the need to breed, the bucks will come thinking with the little head. I've had bucks that were following a hot doe walk within 20' of me and never take notice despite the blaze orange that I was wearing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I use the handy wick fingers most of the time. They can be reused. When I leave the stand, pull them put in a plastic bag. The three dirty ones on the right are the ones I used last Wednesday bowhunting. I place them left, right and in front of me, never to the back of me. Learned that right away, when the first buck came in and I could not turn around and get a shot with bow.

And, yes I had a nice buck come in to check things out last Wednesday. He was just coming in to bow range when two coyotes showed up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by pointer

I'd like for him to do that!

Me too. Anytime Round Oak wants to bust out photos, I’m pulling up a chair.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much of this do you use and how?

I typically tie small pieces of fabric about 6 feet off the ground and put a few drops on each piece of fabric. But it sounds like some of you are using a lot more than that.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/03/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I make mock scrapes and put a few drops into the scrape

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I knew Tink when he started selling Tinks deer urine when he lived in northern Virginia. Tink was the father of the deer scent industry along with direct mail marketing in the hunting industry that became extremely successful.

These are the only kind words I have to say about the man.......he screwed every person he came in contact with.

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 10/03/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

I put a little bit out on my property where I've had yard buck traffic to see how they reacted to it. I went out there this evening and I can still smell it. To my human nose, it seems way stronger than Tinks. Even managed to get a tad on my finger when I put it out and even bleach doesn't get the smell off. I don't know if its because its synthetic, but WR wreaks and lasts a long time.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
We have had it work up in the big woods but I never had it work in the high pressure public lands in SE WIs. I thick the reason is , cause there are so many people out there using . I can almost always find a half dozen of the wicks in the spring when I am scouting and shed hunting the public lands . There are hunters all over. The funny thing is, I find them where bucks likely will not be in the day time. Very common to have a wick hanging over a scrape along a trail that is made by hunters and deer. There is that much hunting pressure in some areas that hunters think its a deer trail. Then , at 2AM, the bucks use it for easy travel and make scrapes. It tricks the un experienced hunters. Those bucks are getting darn smart when they start pulling those kinds of pranks. in the high pressure public land, I think it scars the does. They seem nervous when they smell it. On these public lands, I am happy with a doe, and hunt NW WIs. very seldom, therefore I dont use it much .

Last edited by ihookem; 10/03/21.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I take the lid off and set the bottle on the ground right where I want the shot to be. Works for me and I don’t end up wearing it.. 😀 I’m a professional at clumsy.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I hunted this one buck for about 3 weeks. Got a glimpse of him once but couldn't get a shot. Hit him pretty hard towards the end. I hunted 3 days straight morning and afternoon before I killed him, the evening before he came in behind at dark and grunted like crazy for about 5 minutes. Anyway, the next afternoon I went out into the food plot, put some on my boot and walked into the woods about 75 yards behind the stand. I always felt this was a better method since the scent would be stronger the closer he got to and into the foodplot. Got in the stand at 315. About half asleep, opened my eyes and he had his nose to the ground on the scent trail. He was dead by 330.

I remember my dad would get some stuff from Hoosier Trapping Supply, watched many a buck come in on trails of it and even chew the pad it was on when hanging from limb.

Last edited by killerv; 10/04/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in my limiting out stage I used a rut scent and had some success getting deer, but I couldn’t honestly attribute it to a scent post. I did have a dripper out one opening day and had a 5 and 8 point there opening morning. Roundoak mentioning coyotes reminds me that I too had a coyote definitely coming to a rut scent pad that I’d put out.

Speaking of pads. Funny story about my early adolescent female learning curve. I bought a bottle of the best, most expensive rut scent that my meager allowance would allow. Needing a wick of some type, I requisitioned one of my sisters Tampax things. Perfect, a string and everything I thought. I no more than touched that thing to my open bottle of scent and it sucked up the entire bottle almost instantly. Damn, gone!

Some of you have had more success with the drag rag thing than I have. I always figured that the scent would get weaker the farther that I dragged it and that the deer would track it backwards toward the truck where I applied the scent.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had another big buck that I haven't seen in weeks come in last night. I don't know why else theses individuals are coming into a place that had mainly seen smaller bucks unless its to investigate the odor. The smaller bucks are no where to be seen after I put the scent out (though I've seen them early before I do). Also, the pad of paper towel I put the scent on is gone completely. The one from the other night had been moved several yards away. But the one I put out last night is gone completely. I've heard from a Va DWR officer that bucks will eat the scent, or lick it up. Using a scent in Virginia where a buck can reach it to eat it is considered baiting, but putting it out of reach is legal. So maybe there's some merit to the eating theory, I don't know.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/04/21.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.