24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TTSX question #16497666 10/04/21
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,248
southtexas Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,248
Does the 100gr TTSX provide any advantages over the 80gr TTSX in a 257R for WT deer?. The reason for the question is that I have a finicky rifle and the 80 TTSX and 75gr Vmax seem to be the only bullets it will tolerate.

It would seem to me that the only difference in terminal performance between the 2 bullets would be increased penetration potential for the heavier bullet. But if the 80gr TTSX (3400ish MV) will pass through a WT from almost any angle, would the heavier bullet actually provide any real advantage? Thanks

PS I have no need or interest in shooting beyond 250-300 yards so the BC of the heavier bullet is of no consequence to me.

BP-B2

Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16497718 10/04/21
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 75,438
ingwe Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 75,438
For deer, you are good to go with that 80 grainer..no problem .


"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16498250 10/04/21
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,278
beretzs Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,278
I think you answered your own question. I’d not worry a bit on deer.

Good luck. Show us what they do!


Semper Fi
Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16498363 10/04/21
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,011
G
GSSP Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
G
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,011
The only reason I load the 100 gr is for elk. Otherwise, the 80 gets the nod for deer.

Alan

Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16498399 10/04/21
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 542
TX35W Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 542
The 85 grainers in 6mm are deadly on whitetail and I know a few people who have run them into elk. I think you're good to go.

IC-A

Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16498534 10/04/21
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 53,301
M
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
M
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 53,301
The more Eileen and I shoot monolithic bullets (of whatever brand) into big game the less I'm sure about what the minimum weight for certain game is.

So far the lightest bullets we've used on various kinds of big game are the 40-grain Cutting Edge Raptor at around 4300 fps from Eileen's .22-250 on a pronghorn doe at around 150 yards. It stood quartering toward her, and crumpled at the shot. We found the shank of the bullet under the hide at the rear of the far shoulder blade. (Raptors are designed to lose all their "petals," and this one did. Have never seen any difference in how Barnes X's that lost all their petals killed either.)

Eileen also instantly dropped an average cow elk at 120 yards, as it stood angling away, with a 100-grain TSX from her NULA .257 Roberts. But she has killed plenty of much heavier game with the 130 TSX and 150 Nosler E-Tip from her custom .308 Winchester, animals that many hunters still claim require at least a .300 magnum.

The longer I hunt the more I'm convinced that many hunters are convinced the harder a rifle kicks them, the "better" it kills.


“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Re: TTSX question [Re: Mule Deer] #16498638 10/04/21
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,296
B
BobbyTomek Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
B
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,296
Originally Posted by Mule Deer


The longer I hunt the more I'm convinced that many hunters are convinced the harder a rifle kicks them, the "better" it kills.


You are so right about that. I'm convinced that if more hunters actually learned the anatomy of the species they were hunting and practiced to be more proficient with their hunting rigs, they'd find there's minimal need for those gigantic cases that burn a pound of powder and inevitably cause many to develop accuracy-robbing flinches. Understanding what different bullets do at various impact speeds -- and then matching the cartridge/bullet combo to the game being hunted -- would be helpful as well.


Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16499607 10/05/21
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
B
bluefish Online Content
Campfire Guide
Online Content
Campfire Guide
B
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
Bullet development could have stopped at the NP so far as I am concerned.


The way life should be.
Re: TTSX question [Re: Mule Deer] #16499661 10/05/21
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 39,740
jorgeI Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 39,740
Originally Posted by Mule Deer


The longer I hunt the more I'm convinced that many hunters are convinced the harder a rifle kicks them, the "better" it kills.


I'm probably going to burn in hell, but yeah..sort of...but I do get your point smile

[Linked Image from strayfawnstudio.com]
[Linked Image from americanhunter.org]
[Linked Image from image.sportsmansguide.com]


A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Re: TTSX question [Re: bluefish] #16499717 10/05/21
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 24,547
A
alpinecrick Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 24,547
Originally Posted by bluefish
Bullet development could have stopped at the NP so far as I am concerned.


And for most hunting circumstances bullet development hasn’t progressed any further……


Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC-B

Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16499733 10/05/21
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
B
bluefish Online Content
Campfire Guide
Online Content
Campfire Guide
B
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
Meaning?


The way life should be.
Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16499770 10/05/21
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 64,780
hanco Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 64,780
I always thought you needed at least a 7 mag until I saw grandkids kill deer and pigs with a 80 grain TTSX. They were just as dead as mine. The 243’s are fun to shoot!!!

Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16499849 10/05/21
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,363
J
JPro Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,363
I'm hunting in the SE, so no really big critters down here. I generally like burning 40-55gr of powder with a decent 120-180gr bullet. Seems rather effective for the recoil penalty. Still have a few that burn more than that, but they don't see as much use as they once did.

I like my TTSX and ETip bullets toward the lighter end of the spectrum.


Now with even more aplomb
Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16499857 10/05/21
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,248
southtexas Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,248
Thank you, Gentlemen, for the responses....very helpful!

Re: TTSX question [Re: bluefish] #16499953 10/05/21
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,426
M
memtb Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,426
Originally Posted by bluefish
Bullet development could have stopped at the NP so far as I am concerned.



You mean when the Germans developed the H-Mantel bullet, years before the “partition” was produced?memtb

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/rws-h-mantel/

Last edited by memtb; 10/05/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”
Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16499966 10/05/21
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,426
M
memtb Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,426
Some folks refuse to embrace technological improvements......the primary reason the roadways are congested with Model T Fords! 🤔

The improved technology has allowed us to “do more with less”! However, it doesn’t mean that larger calibers now perform less impressively! 😉memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/05/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”
Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16499984 10/05/21
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,646
K
keith Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,646
In a 270 Win, the 110g TTSX is wicked ugly on deer and hogs, R#17, H4350, IMR 4350, and the coolest burning powder AA2700, all with velocity around 3300, half inch groups or less. Very flat trajectory on these combos with the 110 TTSX. We have killed quite a few deer with the 110g Sierra Sp Pro Hunter, but always double lung them on broadside shots.

Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16500259 10/05/21
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 6,161
B
Bugger Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 6,161
I think that the reason, some people - my self included, prejudices can be explained:
We remember too well the days of our youth and the bullets commonly available to those who could not afford the partitions. (We shot 22 shorts because we couldn't afford 22 long rifles.) Some thought that cast bullets were as good as many bullets available and we started shooting deer with heavy cast bullets in the 30-06. There was a writer back then that liked heavy bullets and large enough cartridges to get the bullets to penetrate - what he wrote, he wrote with authority and it made sense. Then there was a famous writer that wrote "Bring enough gun". We saw failures of bullets that were too lightly constructed or poorly mated with game. I shot a pronghorn six times through the lungs before he dropped all the bullets went through the lung area (one example of a bullet that would not open up). The horns are hanging in my gun room now. I had a bullet get stopped by a doe's shoulder 165 grain in a 30-06 - it didn't pass the shoulder. I would not use that brand for decades since. My brother-in-law had a similar experience on a bull elk - same brand of bullet out of a 300 Win Mag.

So, with bad experiences brought deeply set prejudices, using a larger caliber and heavier bullet was often the answer. No one wants to relive bad experiences with bullets to fragile!

I mainly shoot partitions now (thanks to SPS) with interlocks second and mono bullets third. It's a 308 with Interlocks on deer this year. For elk, one of my most accurate rifle is my 300 Weatherby with 200 grain partitions, the recoil is negligible, so why not? But, I'll probably use a 270 with 160 grain partitions this year though, because it's a pound lighter and just as accurate.


Life member NRA
I prefer classic.
Member of the VVA
Re: TTSX question [Re: memtb] #16500450 10/05/21
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
B
bluefish Online Content
Campfire Guide
Online Content
Campfire Guide
B
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by bluefish
Bullet development could have stopped at the NP so far as I am concerned.



You mean when the Germans developed the H-Mantel bullet, years before the “partition” was produced?memtb

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/rws-h-mantel/



The H Mantel is not a true partition bullet like the NP I don't think. Haven't they now basically dropped it for the DK bullet design which is more like a NP? Maybe I am wrong but in my experience, the NP begins and ends the conversation.


The way life should be.
Re: TTSX question [Re: southtexas] #16500528 10/05/21
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,639
vapodog Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,639
Quote
in my experience, the NP begins and ends the conversation.
and many folks will agree with this....

from my viewpoint however the designs put out by such firms as North Fork (are they still in business?) are equivalent to slightly better......but the Swift A-Frame with the bonded front partition is clearly something to look at.

Having said that, the all-copper bullets such as the TTSX will win out because of environmental causes and the fact they have already established a solid track record for terminal performance. In the end the NP will lose out to the TTSX not because of performance issues, but because the TTSX does not contain lead.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
733 registered members (160user, 1911a1, 1Akshooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 19352012, 76 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 884 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.072s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8956 MB (Peak: 1.0564 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-12-01 21:32:55 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS