Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TenX,

I'd say it's a quarter shooter but a whole beautiful!

Thanks for sharing your post.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
HR IC

TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, W. Bill

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a rifle that regularly makes groups of under .3 for three shots. Annoyingly I just can't get five in the same space.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should rifle manufacturers raise their 3 shot MOA bench mark to 5 or 10 shots?
Asking for a friend

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Asking for a friend

Some have.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dre
Asking for a friend

Some have.

Thanks, I…. He didn’t know that. Which rifles?

Also can you please explain the poster on Last page for precision and accuracy and how they differ. I’m being serious. Thanks

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Asking for a friend

Some have.

Also can you please explain the poster on Last page for precision and accuracy and how they differ. I’m being serious. Thanks

Sako for one. Just off the top of my head.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Gorgeous rifle TenX.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rig. I have several 1/4inch rifles. But I'm a 1 MOA shooter at best. sick

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Figured BSA would post, he’s a pretty informed shooter when it comes to Non-Match rifle accuracy. I get 1/4 MOA groups all day everyday by shooting one into target and two into berm but not sure that counts.

Last edited by gremcat; 10/07/21.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Asking for a friend

Some have.

All-Terrain as well though I’ve not seen it in person only the ads in Sporting Classics.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All-Terra sorry and nope 3 shot guarantee. I know I’ve seen a few offer 5 shot. Maybe some of the lower volume carbon fiber barreled companies like Fierce or Christianson. I recall the Icon had a guarantee but fuzzy on it. My sample was a 1/2 MOA for 5 off a bipod but I’m not a consistent enough shooter having spent very little time at the range in years now. The Icon was sold on here and still up there with most accurate guns I’ve owned beyond customs for F class and F T/R.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Nice rig. I have several 1/4inch rifles. But I'm a 1 MOA shooter at best. sick

Good answer....

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gremcat
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Asking for a friend

Some have.

All-Terrain as well though I’ve not seen it in person only the ads in Sporting Classics.

There have been others too. The older FN SPR's had a good accuracy guarantee. As did the Les Baer ar15. They are not in business anymore, as far as I know, but they came with a target that had 2 5 shot groups of 1/2 moa or less with their varmint model.. And although FN did not offer a 5 shot guarantee on their SPR A3G, they did offer a 1/2 moa 3 shot guarantee. Some of GAP rifles have a 3/8 MOA guarantee, but I believe that is for 3 shots. As far as Dre's question about companies raising the accuracy guarantee to moa for 10 shots. I guess they could, but I'm sure their prices would go up and those rifles would probably be issued with a single 10 shot group under moa. Likely not 2 groups side by side, like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Although, if those companies had to guarantee a 10 shot moa accuracy guarantee, they would be using machine rests. Most of my rifles have proven to shoot moa or less for 10 shots, but they are glass bedded and fine tuned to achieve that level of precision. You'd definitely pay for it, if a factory had to do it and guarantee it...

BSA MAGA
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Blacktailer; I’m in the same boat, on a good day on the bench whatever shake is in me is about 1/4 at 100 yards on a bad day it can be up to 1/2 on either side of point of aim.

Pretty hard to know if one has a 1/4” or 1/2” gun if you can’t hold that good.

Tenx nice looking rifle

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
All of mine are quarter inch capable………then I fire the second shot 😊

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/07/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a .250 Savage, does that count as a 1/4" rifle? 😉

Honestly, I quit chasing tiny groups with my hunting rifles. It's a process of extreme aggravation. I just realized I wasn't consistent enough shooting to call myself a 1/4" shooter as I'm the biggest limiting factor of pretty much all my rifles.

I'm pretty happy if I can hold MOA at 100 for 5 shots out of a hunting rifle slow fire 3-5 min per shot. I then try to stack 5 more in that group without going over another 1/2 to 1 MOA larger group about 15-20 min later basically less than 30 seconds between shots. As long as I'm less than 2 MOA or less I figure I can hunt with it.

The next outing I'll set my optic for 400 yards (that's max range on the property) and bang some steel at that range from field positions mainly prone and sitting supported off a pack or bipod. The range has 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12" plates, and I rapid fire 2 shots. I start out with the 4" and if I miss I immediately transition to the 12" for the 2nd shot. If I hit, I transition to the 6 or 8" for the 2nd. I'll do this for a few outings working on my 2 shot drills.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gremcat
All-Terra sorry and nope 3 shot guarantee. I know I’ve seen a few offer 5 shot. Maybe some of the lower volume carbon fiber barreled companies like Fierce or Christianson. I recall the Icon had a guarantee but fuzzy on it. My sample was a 1/2 MOA for 5 off a bipod but I’m not a consistent enough shooter having spent very little time at the range in years now. The Icon was sold on here and still up there with most accurate guns I’ve owned beyond customs for F class and F T/R.

I'm fine with rifles that offer no accuracy guarantee, like Tikka. Most of us know they shoot well. Most Tikka rifles can hold 5 shots into moa or less, but I don't want to pay extra if they did offer an accuracy guarantee. They keep customers like me happy by offering great shooting rifles at reasonable prices. The new Winchesters offer an MOA accuracy guarantee for 3 shots, but truthfully most newly manufactured rifles will attain that level of precision. Ruger American's, Savage, TC, and others have proven to be quite accurate for even less money than comparable Tikka's. I know the op was tongue in cheek and wanting to stir the pot a little and show off his beautiful new rifle, but his question has some validity. To answer his question: I've never personally had a "1/4 moa" rifle. But I also believe a hunting rifle should be capable of 1 moa for 3 shots (even better if it is for 5 or 10 shots) a precision and varmint rifle should be capable of 1 moa for 10 shots or 1/2 moa for 5 shots. A precision AR15 should easily put 10 shots into moa (5 shots into 1/2 moa). Those should be standards as far as I'm concerned. At least those are the standards I live by. Others mileage may vary...

BSA MAGA
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Agreed on that, for most people there is a practical limit where the rifle will outperform the shooter, anyway. It varies, depending on the rifle, but for me 4 shot groups of 1MOA with a scope and 2MOA with irons is good enough for me, because I can't consistently shoot much better than that.

Last edited by zcm82; 10/07/21.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,199
Posts18,503,622
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.