OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bullion or coins?

MM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Compare gold to the stock market over any 10 year period the past 100 years. There’s your answer.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If i ever won the powerball i would buy gold and silver coins.
A couple million dollars. One time insurance policy that you would
have wealth no matter what.

But it's not a money making investment.

And I haven't bought a ticket in months.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wearable gold:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Wearable gold:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, a little tough to resell in hard times, though.

Met the guy's grandson a few years ago that started Patek.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Yeah, a little tough to resell in hard times, though.

Met the guy's grandson a few years ago that started Patek.

MM

The Stern's are good folks, they're dedicated to their brand and their diligence to their craft has made them #1 in the watch world.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm buying but I consider it more like insurance than an investment. I should have stayed in the markets too but I lost faith in stocks when the new regime stole power. I'm shooting for 15% assets in metals as a hedge against inflation and dollar issues.

Bb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like having gold, I don’t worry about it from an investment standpoint. If you intend to sell your gold… I strongly suggest you do not buy the “cheapest” bullion, coins, bars out there. Buy coins that sell, mainstays like AGE’s, Buffs, Maple leafs and what not.

BTW not a fan of the AGE type 2 design.
S.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought into a gold trust. I am not sure I like doing that but only have 2K into it. I decided to buy a gold miners ETF (GDX). I also bought Kirkland, Kinross and Newmont gold miners companies. I was up 13% in just a few months, but now I am down on my gold investments by about 6%. I bought in around May. I am not too concerned cause it is only 1% of my portoflio.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dale06
Compare gold to the stock market over any 10 year period the past 100 years. There’s your answer.

Hedge.
There’s your answer.....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crypto.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not going to do crypto.

If I buy gold it will simply be to hold & as a hedge, no attempt to make money on the value increase, per se'.

MM

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a small wad sitting in good the last two years.... I just unloaded half of it because it is just not moving one way or another....

I'm moving it into oil....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d buy physical gold, not an etf. Defeats the purpose I’d be buying it for.
Long term, if you’re buying it in small amounts (less than 10k) and for an investment only, there’s a lot better options. If you’re buying it for currency when the economy collapses, I’d be buying $10,000 worth of tradeable necessities that store well long term.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/07/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Shopping around the physical goes for about 4% more than the spot price. Do gold buyers buy it over the spot price? I've never tried to sell physical but a 4% bid/ask spread is pretty expensive.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you trust the market today? Gold is not an investment to earn money as much as it is a loss prevention measure.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Shopping around the physical goes for about 4% more than the spot price. Do gold buyers buy it over the spot price? I've never tried to sell physical but a 4% bid/ask spread is pretty expensive.

I bought gold coins around 2009 and sold some last month to the same company from whom I bought the coins.

They paid spot on the day it was received and the charge was 1% of sale.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't trust equities anymore, neither the dollar, crypto, and I'm not interested in speculation. In the past, I invested primarily in small cap growth stocks. My rationale was to put capital toward something productive. I've given up. I think there is real productivity out there, no doubt, but the securities market that trades in dollar-denominated assets is totally unhinged from any kind of realistic valuations and massively inflated by unrestrained alchemy.

Metals are closer to a commodity today than they have been in the past. They're a poor medium of exchange in today's market because of absurd premiums. Metal-backed securities of various kinds are less costly to trade, but they often sap the value out over the long term. As a hedge, the long-term is the only way they are functional. I expect them to crash with the market. People will sell their metals to cover their other losses that are dollar-denominated.

The biggest attraction to me is that metals are amoral in a market where just about everything else is turning immoral and evil. No doubt there is far more money to be made "investing" (speculating, gambling, and betting) in market darlings. You know the tickers. I'd rather vomit.

If you've got money in IRA(s), it's either cash, gold, bonds, equities, or something similar. Cash represents the Federal Reserve. Bonds represent the Treasury, another government, or corporation. Equities represent big businesses. You can't find a cabal with more corruption, wickedness, and immorality in any point of history than that, with the exception of gold. Gold is just gold.

I don't think about the performance of gold or silver in dollar terms. There will always be small fluctuations in supply and demand, but big dollar gains or losses reflect more the changing value of the dollar than that of the metals. An ounce of gold may very well be $50,000 some day, but I won't be rich because of that. It will just mean the dollar is worthless.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Toddly
Crypto.

Yepx2.

Plus

Commodities with a decent dividend

Bought RIO Look at REITs and midstream too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.