Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The MOA triggers are also excellent.
(snort....pfft)

😂 Based on past comments, I've been waiting for you to weigh in on this

You love these Browning rifles. Why do you believe the moa is better than the old tried and true design? You also aren't convincing me that these rifles are better than a pre 64 model 70.

You've dodged all the reasonable responses about *quality* directed your way. Just trolling now. Have at it.

That’s his typical bulls hit.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

He still hasn't convinced *himself* apparently...

Irony: ignoring all the testimonials about quality and accuracy to fixate on the rifles being made in Portugal (even though the pre-64s weren't the original Winchester corp either)... then quickly changing the subject when Tikka comes up. Where are those made again? Not here... so you must like them for the quality? Not the historical pedigree or where they're produced? Hmmm...

And that's fine. Everyone has opinions and you know what they say about those.

In the context of contemporary rifles out-of-the-box, I find the MOA trigger to be better than Remington's Mark X trigger, which I think isn't all that bad out of the box, either. And the MOA trigger is leaps and bounds better than the Ruger M77 MkII/Hawkeye trigger. In fact, the only trigger I ever had that was really poor was a Ruger Gunsite Scout that had a trigger pull that was so light that you really only had to touch it to set it off. I think it was so light it might have been on the verge of being able to be slam fired. I never replaced it and ended up selling that gun.

All these can be made better. I've never bothered. I always learned to use the trigger that came with the rifle and never had one so bad that I couldn't hit what I was aiming at.

As far as the pre-64, it's a classic. Easily worked on. I would actually prefer that old trigger to the MOA. But those days are over. I've owned 1 pre-64 and 1 post 64 push feed and the triggers were fine.

There's a lot of bench rest shooters at my club, many of whom are shooting extremely high end custom rifles in calibers like 6mm BR who can put 5 shots pretty much through the same hole at 100 yards. I can see the need for the perfect trigger in guns like that. In my hunting guns, the MOA is very good indeed, and better than I need. I've made due with with much worse.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Irony: ignoring all the testimonials about quality and accuracy to fixate on the rifles being made in Portugal (even though the pre-64s weren't the original Winchester corp either)... then quickly changing the subject when Tikka comes up. Where are those made again? Not here... so you must like them for the quality? Not the historical pedigree or where they're produced? Hmmm...

In the context of contemporary rifles out-of-the-box, I find the MOA trigger to be better than Remington's Mark X trigger,
That doesn't take much.. I've nearly filled a trash can with THOSE pos's...
And the MOA trigger is leaps and bounds better than the Ruger M77 MkII/Hawkeye trigger.
Well, yeah, I'll give you that one..

All these can be made better ..
OHHH, yeah... smile

As far as the pre-64, it's a classic. Easily worked on. I would actually prefer that old trigger to the MOA.
....as does anyone who knows rifles.. smile
But those days are over. I've owned 1 pre-64 and 1 post 64 push feed and the triggers were fine.
Pre-'06 Classics can still be found - (without that pos MOA trigger) and they're still bringing pretty good prices.. I have just ONE M70 with the MOA trigger - obtained merely for inspection and critiquing, but have never fired it and it will be the very next one sold; hopefully within the month..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In the context of contemporary rifles out-of-the-box, I find the MOA trigger to be better than Remington's Mark X trigger,
And the MOA trigger is leaps and bounds better than the Ruger M77 MkII/Hawkeye trigger.

OHHH, yeah... smile

As far as the pre-64, it's a classic. Easily worked on. I would actually prefer that old trigger to the MOA.
But those days are over. I've owned 1 pre-64 and 1 post 64 push feed and the triggers were fine.
Pre-'06 Classics can still be found - (without that pos MOA trigger) and they're still bringing pretty good prices.. I have just ONE M70 with the MOA trigger - obtained merely for inspection and critiquing, but have never fired it and it will be the very next one sold; hopefully within the month..

I think BSA hacked rednecks account 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

OHHH, yeah... smile

On a serious note all your rifles are New Haven made model 70’s??

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Showdog75
Originally Posted by shinbone

From Portugal, with love:

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

What kind of stock is this?

Bell and Carlson they put on their extreme weather

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shinbone
The factory stock, whatever that is.

Bell and Carlson.
I’m guessing yours is one of the very early Portugal assembled models as the simple black stock coloration went away with the transition.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In general they're well made and I would steer buyers to them over the many round bottom push feed cost cutting actions that now infest the marketplace. However, there are two issues I can see:
1) The MOA trigger is a non-solution to a nonexistant problem. The older M70 trigger is superior in every way for the wilderness hunter. Simpler, more reliable, and much more tolerant of water/grime and ice.
2) The supergrade stocks, at least some of them, have a plastic tip. They don't fully dry the stocks, so they shrink leaving the tip proud to the rest of the rifle. What should be their premier stock ends up looking ridiculous. Of course the stock drying issue could also trash a bedding job I suppose, but I've never actually seen that happen.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
]

It's an easy one to give. The M70's CRF feature also works better than the Ruger M77 Mk II's and Hawkeye's CRF feature. Every M77 MkII and Hawkeye I've ever had was CRF when it wanted to. Sometimes they would hold a rim, sometimes it wouldn't. Never had a CRF M70 that didn't do what it was supposed to in that regard.

But then again, Ruger bolt handles aren't time bombs, bound to fly off at any given second. So Ruger does have it's merits.

Oh, and the Ruger stocks are slimmer. If you could get a Ruger stock on a new M70, then you'd have something. If not for that pesky bolt handle.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d take a Portugal made gun over about anything else made for the mainstream these days. A 6 dollar trigger spring makes them very serviceable. I’ll still buy up all of the P64’s I can and Classics that I want but the few newer ones I own aren’t too damned bad.

Rugers are great guns as well but I’ve had my fits with them enough to be wary.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are just like every other M70 (Portugal, SC, New Haven Classic, NH PF, P-64), most are good, some are so-so, once in a while you get a turd.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I...
1) The MOA trigger is a non-solution to a nonexistant problem. The older M70 trigger is superior in every way for the wilderness hunter. Simpler, more reliable, and much more tolerant of water/grime and ice.

I am asking a serious question.

Have you had any experience where the new Winchester MOA trigger had an issue with reliability, or intolerance of water/grime and ice? If you haven't had any issues with the trigger, do you know anyone who has?

I have owned three BACO-era Winchester model 70 rifles (Sporter 30-06, Featherweight 30-06 and Extreme Weather 30-06). All made/assembled in the USA. No issues with any of them for any issue. All were fantastic firearms. Sold off the Sporter and Featherweight, and kept the Extreme Weather. (no issues with the ones sold, just thinning the herd).

I am always curious how snow, grit and ice get into a trigger. Won't that foul ANY trigger? I have never read about a Timney trigger having "intolerance" to snow/ice/grit, and they aren't much different than the MOA trigger.

I'm not picking on you. My question is a sincere one. Who has had a Winchester MOA trigger "fail", or become "intolerant to snow/ice/grit"? I have not read any specific reports of that happening from actual owners of the BACO-era model 70's. The "Portuguese" model 70 rifles are assembled there, but t
the parts are made at the FN South Carolina plant. I do not know if the MOA trigger is made in SC or is subcontracted out and shipped there ( or to Portugal).

Spend $8 and order a trigger spring from "Earnie the gunsmith" online, and you will get a very clean 2.5ish pound trigger pull. My MOA triggers have been outstanding in performance, and reliability/tolerance. It gets cold up here in Maine, and never had any issue with any of them.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The old style trigger on the classics was garbage, period.
I've ran Jewell triggers on my main hunting rifle. A model 70 classic 300 ultra. It's been to hell and back in a variety of real nasty conditions and hasn't failed me yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's telling..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I...

I am asking a serious question.

Have you had any experience where the new Winchester MOA trigger had an issue with reliability, or intolerance of water/grime and ice? If you haven't had any issues with the trigger, do you know anyone who has?

I have owned three BACO-era Winchester model 70 rifles ( Sporter 30-06, Featherweight 30-06 and Extreme Weather 30-06). All made/assembled in the USA. No issues with any of them for any issue. All were fantastic firearms. Sold off the Sporter and Featherweight, and have just the Extreme Weather. Definitely a keeper.

I just think people make statements, maybe regurgitate comments from reading a lot of posts and websites. I am always curious how snow, grit and ice get into a trigger. Won't that foul ANY trigger? Never read about a Timney trigger having "intolerance" to snow/ice/grit, and they aren't much different than the MOA trigger.

I'm not picking on you. My question is an honest and sincere one. Who has had a Winchester MOA trigger "fail", or become "intolerant to snow/ice/grit"? I have not read any specific reports of that happening from actual owners of the BACO-era model 70's. The "Portuguese" model 70 rifles are assembled there. The parts are made at the FN South Carolina plant. I do not know if the MOA trigger is made there or is subcontracted out and shipped there ( or to Portugal).

Spend $8 and order a trigger spring from "Earnie the gunsmith" online, and you will get a very clean 2.5ish pound trigger pull. My MOA triggers have been outstanding in performance, and reliability/tolerance. It gets cold up here in Maine, and never had any issue with any of them.

I've hunted with two Portugal-made M70s in snow and sleet. Granted, I wasn't on a Siberian expedition or anything, but it in the teens and the rifle got snowed on a fair amount. No problems.

My hunch is the trigger hypothetical started as a gun writer saying something about the design meant it *could* happen and that gradually evolved to *it will* happen and then further evolved to *it does* happen... though no one ever seems to have a primary example.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the old trigger, but ain’t worried about the new one. I’ve adjusted three of the old ones to light, crisp, let-offs. Supposedly the new ones have close to zero after-travel. Hopefully, FEDEX will soon quit tormenting me by slingshotting mine all over the region and get it to the dealer, and I’ll know.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice rifles, I'm not a diehard Winchester guy, I presently own 2 BACO Extreme Weathers, a 7x57 Featherweight and a NIB EW in 7-08 that I bought from a member here and remains unfired. The 7x57 has nice wood and shoots 1/2" with Hornady 139 SST's. I had a BACO EW in 7 WSM, it shot 168 Berger handloads (thanks Flattop_Johnny) real good, it kicked too much for me and I sold it. They are very nice rifles with good triggers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked up my EW MB yesterday. Weighs 6lbs 12oz. Stock weighs just an ounce under 2lbs, but feels lighter in hand. Trigger was almost 5lbs. Adjusted it to 3lbs 12oz, leaving a bit on the table as a cushion so the screw won’t fall out. Will probably get a replacement spring, although it’s very crisp with ALMOST no overtravel. While the book says it’s adjustable, what they don’t tell you is you’ll have to remove what looks like 5-minute epoxy glopped over the screws, and dig it out of the hex hole. Put a little nail polish on it to hold it in place.

Stock has a bedding block and what appears to be a separate rear pillar (?). Well floated, with just about an inch of the chamber area well-bedded with epoxy. No spec for action screws, so I went with pretty dang tight for the front and tight for the real, just as I would for a 98. Took the bolt apart, degreased the spring and lubed it with Dri-Slide. Put some moly truck bearing lube on the friction points, and a bit of CLP in a few spots.

The Warne mounts I’m using weigh 7.6 ounces in the packaging, and the Trijicon 3-9 13.

Pics when it’s together.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Picked up my EW MB yesterday. Weighs 6lbs 12oz. Stock weighs just an ounce under 2lbs, but feels lighter in hand. Trigger was almost 5lbs. Adjusted it to 3lbs 12oz, leaving a bit on the table as a cushion so the screw won’t fall out. Will probably get a replacement spring, although it’s very crisp with ALMOST no overtravel. While the book says it’s adjustable, what they don’t tell you is you’ll have to remove what looks like 5-minute epoxy glopped over the screws, and dig it out of the hex hole. Put a little nail polish on it to hold it in place.

Stock has a bedding block and what appears to be a separate rear pillar (?). Well floated, with just about an inch of the chamber area well-bedded with epoxy. No spec for action screws, so I went with pretty dang tight for the front and tight for the real, just as I would for a 98. Took the bolt apart, degreased the spring and lubed it with Dri-Slide. Put some moly truck bearing lube on the friction points, and a bit of CLP in a few spots.

The Warne mounts I’m using weigh 7.6 ounces in the packaging, and the Trijicon 3-9 13.

Pics when it’s together.

I called Win they told me 45 in lb on the action screws for my FWT and the Ernie the Gunsmith springs are a big help.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.