-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everybody needs a good stainless sporter or two that they don't have to worry about. Tool-rifles, if you will. Tough to top an SS M77. I'd hang on to that 7RM if it shoots well.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JPro
Everybody needs a good stainless sporter or two that they don't have to worry about. Tool-rifles, if you will. Tough to top an SS M77. I'd hang on to that 7RM if it shoots well.

That's a fact, I bought mine for bad weather guns. I sold the 22-250 for 3x what I bought it for. Still have my 223 and my 308 though. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just sold off that stock on a Mk ll .308, rebarreled it into a 7-08 and put it into a way better Brown Precision stock. No more boat paddle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by elkjaeger
I remember a lot of the complaints against the "boat paddle" back when;
No sling swivel studs so it was tough to remove a sling for silent carry, no way to attach bipod, etc.
Felt recoil was worse than other designs: sharp edge slamming your cheekbone, smaller, harder surface area of butt pad.
Discoloration from exposure to sun, chemicals, etc.
Couldn't cut down stock.
Seemed like it was voted as the ugliest stock EVER on a number of gun forums smile
I distinctly remember talking with a friend who had much experience with many rifles and he adamantly insisted his BP Ruger in .338 WM was the most uncomfortable rifle he ever shot.

That being said I have one in .308 that has been to Africa with me twice (even tho I could have taken nicer rifles)and is the last rifle I would ever part with. Wish I had kept the one's I had in .260 and .223. And recently grabbed a SS LW model in .243 which will likely stay around a very long time!

Like a couple of guys have already mentioned, they be stiff and light. Who cares what they look like smile

All that stuff is true. Never ceases to surprise me that people have such a like for dog chit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by harv3589
Personally I don't think they are ugly...the tikka is uglier

A tikka is about 10x the rifle of a ruger 77 of any form.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It is kind of funny to see this post and view it in relation to the past. When this forum and similar ones were young, say 20 plus years ago, the Ruger M77MkII in stainless was view as spawn of the devil (see Sitka Deer's post) with no redeeming qualities. The Ruger was considered substantially inferior to the 700, Browning Mark II and others. Back then the M77MkII's were relatively inexpensive compared to its competitors. Accuracy was terrible and was an overall POS. How things have changed.

My biggest problem with the paddle stock was the inability to shorten the LOP to 13 inches from the stock 13 1/2 inches.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BWalker

Complete and utter horseschit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by harv3589
Personally I don't think they are ugly...the tikka is uglier

You're kweer

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well....someone locally wanted this one bad.

It sold just now for $1050.00

https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/Misc-2021/i-MBxkh7P

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 10/11/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yea? Name one thing a 77 does better than a T3X.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Flashman
It is kind of funny to see this post and view it in relation to the past. When this forum and similar ones were young, say 20 plus years ago, the Ruger M77MkII in stainless was view as spawn of the devil (see Sitka Deer's post) with no redeeming qualities. The Ruger was considered substantially inferior to the 700, Browning Mark II and others. Back then the M77MkII's were relatively inexpensive compared to its competitors. Accuracy was terrible and was an overall POS. How things have changed.

My biggest problem with the paddle stock was the inability to shorten the LOP to 13 inches from the stock 13 1/2 inches.

The view back then was spot on IME.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Looks are subjective and not all that important in the big picture but when I’m spending my money I want what I want. I personally like the look of the boat paddle. To my eye the biggest drawback to the Tikka is that they’re about the ugliest hunting rifle on the market this side of a Savage.

More to your point I agree that a Tikka T3X is a more modern all around big game rifle but name one thing that a Tikka does 10x better than a Ruger.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Looks are subjective and not all that important in the big picture but when I’m spending my money I want what I want. I personally like the look of the boat paddle. To my eye the biggest drawback to the Tikka is that they’re about the ugliest hunting rifle on the market this side of a Savage.

More to your point I agree that a Tikka T3X is a more modern all around big game rifle but name one thing that a Tikka does 10x better than a Ruger.

Speaking of the boat paddle guns.. Consistent accuracy,much better trigger, less weight, better designed stock by light years and the ability to use a bi pod. The Tikka even looks better and doesn't feel rough as cob when you cycle the action like all ruger 77's do.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/13/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you guys are sure picky.... I love every Ruger 77 Mk2 I have.. only ever traded off one for a Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. traded off the Ruger in 22.250, sttainless...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

When speaking of advantages of the 77 MK II/Hawkeye: design of the safety, the floorplate latch vs the magazine release, magazine capacity, arguably the scope mount design for quick release applications, and the ability to hit factory muzzle velocities (i.e. Tikkas tend to be slow).

Name one thing the Tikka does 10 times better? That sounds like a bit of hyperbole.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Back when they first came out I had one in a 7mm Mag. Rifle season was close so I hunted with it the first year. Afterwards I went and bought a MKII walnut stock from Ruger and replaced it. I liked my brothers Mdl 70 Classic Stainless look. I chunked the other stock in the dumpster and never looked back. Everyone loved my stainless Ruger in walnut at that time.

Today I’d make a few bucks if I’d had kept the stock.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Shoot accurately…

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Back when they first came out I had one in a 7mm Mag. Rifle season was close so I hunted with it the first year. Afterwards I went and bought a MKII walnut stock from Ruger and replaced it. I liked my brothers Mdl 70 Classic Stainless look. I chunked the other stock in the dumpster and never looked back. Everyone loved my stainless Ruger in walnut at that time.

Today I’d make a few bucks if I’d had kept the stock.

I bought a Ruger Mk II stainless with the boat paddle stock in 270 from Darrell at Whittaker Guns in the early to mid 90’s. Darrell was nice enough to swap out a wood stock for the boat paddle at no charge. I too loved the look of stainless in the wood stock. Another gun I wish I still owned!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a boat paddle 223AI, and 338. Had a 243 too, but sold the stock when I converted it to a 6SLR.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Agreed with everyone on here. 77 are bullet proof!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.