Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Old Hat, the current thought is that they probably hit an uncharted undersea mountain, not another sub. That can only be characterized as an accident, not a mistake. Assuming, of course, that the mountain theory is correct.
We've now heard from at least two genuine sub experts in this thread, both of whom contradict your totally uninformed ideas. A wise man would now withdraw in silence.

I said nothing based on information. Remember, we don't know and will probably never know. Read more carefully. I pointed out the illogic in others reasoning.

What exactly is the relationship between accidents and mistakes. I mean don't mistakes sometimes cause accidents. Hmmm ...

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by fshaw
I retired from a career in the Fast Attack Submarine Navy and just got home from a reunion of shipmates that I served with on an attack submarine with over 40 years ago. USS Dace SSN-607, a Thresher Class submarine and my first ship. Honorable men and their spouses at that reunion. The public has no idea what attack submarines are called on to do and there’s a reason for that. After becoming a Chief when I had young sailors report into my division I’d tell them that “You aren’t here to earn college credit through the G.I. Bill. You’re here to crew an undersea warship built to kill men and blow [bleep] up. If you don’t learn to do your job better than your enemy, they will kill you or blow your [bleep] up. Keep that in mind” Attack submarines go where they want, when they want, as they want in all the worlds oceans, including under the ice at the top of the world. They are the original stealth weapon. Attack submarines collect intelligence on America’s adversaries and enemies among many other things. To do that you have to be where America’s adversaries are, when they are there, sometimes close aboard. It can’t be done sitting on the couch wringing your hands or from a comfortable distance. Attack submarines go “in harms way” in service of their Country. Proudly. To say that Connecticut’s collision was a “blunder” displays absolute ignorance about the mission that attack submarines are called on to do. There are attack submarines on patrol in all of the world’s oceans right now and every minute of every day. 24/7/365. They do it while you’re sleeping, sitting in the woods with your favorite rifle, and are celebrating Christmas with your loved ones. You’re welcome. As the old submariner’s saying goes, “I’ve got more time sitting on the shytter at test depth than…” Oldhat has even spent thinking about Attack Submarine operations. GMAFB about the analysis of what happened to USS Connecticut. She was on a mission “Of strategic importance to the National Security Interests of the United States of America,” and she wasn’t crewed by idiots. That’s all you need to know, or probably will ever know. And that’s as it should be. Got any scratches on your favorite hunting gun? If you take it out of the cabinet and use it hard I’m betting that you do. Attack Submarines are one of the American military’s favorite hunting guns. They get taken out of the cabinet, sent to sea in harms way and get used hard. We should be proud of that, not talk [bleep]
about something we know nothing about. And for the record, I’ve heard “One single ping” used in a strategic situation exactly zero times. It’s a great line for a movie, that is all.

Thanks for your service CPO or was it COB?.I never served on a Nuc,but had plenty experience on the old diesel electric sewer pipes.We had some pretty sophisticated sonar installed for North Atlantic runs in the winter to listen and identify Soviet Subs.Not as exciting as what you experienced ,but I was still proud to be a Submariner(Bubblehead) grin

Last edited by Huntz; 10/10/21.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
How does a sub hit an undersea mount? Maybe I missed this somewhere in the thread. Do they not have some sort of radar to detect these things or are they running blind based on charts to stay undetected?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Only thing I’m sure of is that the Captain’s career is over. I have friends I’m that community and the only thing they are saying is that the sub is a mess. Whatever they hit or got hit by it was a hard hit.

Maybe yes,maybe no.The XO of the last boat I was on dad was an Admiral.While docked in Key West for some reason he had the interlock on the torpedo tubes defeated in the forward torpedo room.He then had the inner door opened with the outer door open.Almost sank the boat at the dock.The episode was squelched.Still every one in New London managed to know.He was an idiot.Could have a relative of Slo Joe.

The peace time military is NOT a meritocracy.

Is your statment (or any of the other posts you made in this thread) base on experience? Or just some random bullchit you read somewhere?

Do you believe the peace time military is a meritocracy?

Oldhat,
Do you believe that the world is at peace?
Do you believe that the US Military is not in engagement with anyone, anywhere currently?

I like this kind of discussion. The US is at peace. We have no declared war with a peer foe.

So the gist of your reasoning is that a dangerous world, intense training, high risk missions and cat and mouse engagements on the high seas is equivalent to combat. I disagree. Do you really think WW2 vets would call what the current navy does war?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Only thing I’m sure of is that the Captain’s career is over. I have friends I’m that community and the only thing they are saying is that the sub is a mess. Whatever they hit or got hit by it was a hard hit.

Maybe yes,maybe no.The XO of the last boat I was on dad was an Admiral.While docked in Key West for some reason he had the interlock on the torpedo tubes defeated in the forward torpedo room.He then had the inner door opened with the outer door open.Almost sank the boat at the dock.The episode was squelched.Still every one in New London managed to know.He was an idiot.Could have a relative of Slo Joe.

The peace time military is NOT a meritocracy.

Is your statment (or any of the other posts you made in this thread) base on experience? Or just some random bullchit you read somewhere?

Oldhat,
Do you believe that the US Military is not in engagement with anyone, anywhere currently?

I like this kind of discussion. The US is at peace. We have no declared war with a peer foe.

So the gist of your reasoning is that a dangerous world, intense training, high risk missions and cat and mouse engagements on the high seas is equivalent to combat. I disagree. Do you really think WW2 vets would call what the current navy does war?

Old Ass Hat,the only thing I believe is that you are an idiot and its too bad you mother was not woke and had used birth control.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Submarines never bump or "ram" each other intentionally. Ever. Sea pressure is 44lbs/square inch/100 feet of depth. Much better to keep the green monster on the outside of the people tank. Surprised that anyone would even consider it a possibility.

Thank you. That has been my position all along.

So all we know is the sub hit "something".

Sorry you don't get the "used gun" vs safe queen analogy. I type too slow to explain it in detail.

I certainly understand it. This is the campfire. Insult is about the only response most here have.

Submarines also don't "warn" other submarines, or anyone else, of their position. remaining undetected is the foundation of every mission. Ping is the correct term, to ping is to be detected.

This makes very good sense. I never in any way suggested this happens. If you read the thread you will see I only mention it because others were talking about educating our adversary about our dominance. I brought it up to point out the ill logic of ramming.

An honest question Oldhat, You ever serve on active duty in theater?

I NEVER offered an expert opinion so it does not matter one iota. I made reasoned comments about others speculation.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
You could not pay me enough to do my tour of duty on a Sub! Hats off and slow hand salute to all you crazy bastids!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Futura
How does a sub hit an undersea mount? Maybe I missed this somewhere in the thread. Do they not have some sort of radar to detect these things or are they running blind based on charts to stay undetected?

If you watch the video above he said they rely on sea charts. My understanding is when hunting they rely on passive sonar with extremely sophisticated signal processing.

I don't think anyone can actually tell us since it is secret.

If you put your completely speculative engineering hat on you can imagine other techniques such as a non hiding third party issuing signals which are then detected by the hiding party. Complete speculation on my part as I've never worked in the defense industry.

Last edited by OldHat; 10/10/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Old Hat, you DID early on suggest that subs make a "ping" to warn others of their presence. You have also equated an accident with a mistake, which is an unwarranted assumption. Not all accidents devolve from mistakes, whether due to mechanical issues or unknown hazards - such as uncharted underwater mountaintops.

The facts here are that a sub of ours suffered an impact from something. Nobody died and the sub is in no danger. (It has probably docked by now.) Anything and everything beyond those facts is speculation. I might add that it is baseless speculation by folks - including you and I - with a total lack of experience or knowledge about submarines.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
As a midshipman, I spent an afternoon aboard an attack boat, pierside at Norfolk. Very interesting but it didn’t take long for me to think “no way”. 😊

While I was on the COMUSNAVCENT staff on the La Salle, we always had a former sub skipper on staff. The two that were on staff while I was there were REALLY, REALLY sharp guys. Very even keeled, level headed and just all around good guys too. No pompous a$$e$ there.

The most important thing in a sub is being undetected….no one knows you’re there. If you start actively emitting sonar to pick up underwater terrain or other vessels, anyone listening passively knows you’re there.

Think, Marco………..Polo. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been lucky enough to get dockside tours of an Ohio missile boat, a Los Angeles attack boat, and a British diesel torpedo target boat (yes, they served as target for live-firing of targets against them! Inert torps, I hasten to add, and they were programmed to dive before impact, but the Brits did admit that they make a helluva clang when they don't!) Crisp salute to all my submariner brothers, your incalculable contributions are hereby acknowledged.

None of those experiences qualify me to make definitive statements about sub capability, I freely admit. I'll wait for any official announcements about the current situation and leave this thread at this point.

Edit: No, wait; one last comment. The 'Fire is like serving in a sub: as long as you're lurking in silence, you're safe. Emit one "ping" and you instantly get attacked.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
What happened this time, who knows. But if you all bother to Google sub accidents you'd find that their has been many from all nations that have them, and even within just the last couple decades. Everything from running aground and hitting undersea mountains at full speed, hitting other subs, other ships, to surfacing and taking out fishing trawlers. A record that would equal the recent surface ships of the 7th fleet. High tech or not, not all are mechanical failure and mishaps. Sometimes things happen so fast that their is no stopping an incident once a sequence of events is put into motion. Not sub related, but these things always reminds me of the Navy's Honda Point incident of 8 Sep, 1923. involving 9 destroyers where 6 were lost and 23 sailors lost their lives.

Phil

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
And for the record, I’ve heard “One single ping” used in a strategic situation exactly zero times. It’s a great line for a movie, that is all.

Hypothetically, do you think ramming an enemy sub is a pro move during peace time?

Maybe "ping" is not the term of art for submariners, but lets use it as a descriptive for warning your enemy that you have the more sophisticated tech and have the "draw" on them. I wonder if pings are used in tactical situations during peace time.

Look at this another way. Capt. X is driving his sub track Captain Won Hung Lo's boat. Tensions are high in that area and Capt. X does your "One ping only." Capt. One Hung Lo thinks, Holy Chit, I'm being attacked and reacts accordingly. One would have to assume it's a case of chit seriously hitting the fane and the first shots of what could be the last ever world war for a few thousand years. Think about that scenario for a while.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by PJGunner
And for the record, I’ve heard “One single ping” used in a strategic situation exactly zero times. It’s a great line for a movie, that is all.

Hypothetically, do you think ramming an enemy sub is a pro move during peace time?

Maybe "ping" is not the term of art for submariners, but lets use it as a descriptive for warning your enemy that you have the more sophisticated tech and have the "draw" on them. I wonder if pings are used in tactical situations during peace time.

Look at this another way. Capt. X is driving his sub track Captain Won Hung Lo's boat. Tensions are high in that area and Capt. X does your "One ping only." Capt. One Hung Lo thinks, Holy Chit, I'm being attacked and reacts accordingly. One would have to assume it's a case of chit seriously hitting the fane and the first shots of what could be the last ever world war for a few thousand years. Think about that scenario for a while.
Paul B.

If you read my first mention of ping you will see I never suggested pings were done as warnings. I repeat, I used the ping comment to point out the ill-logic of intentional ramming.

So the experienced here seem to say that whatever happened was a mistake, as in unintentional, where people seem to get all sensitive is as to whether there was any malpractice involved in the mistake. Yes, I know, big balls and all, and we don't know and the official inquiry will determine that and we won't ever know. We will see side effects, though, from which we can infer.

I'm glad everyone is safe.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Oldhat,

Absolutely, I do. And I've never been Navy.

Originally Posted by MAC
There are a whole bunch of morons posting on this thread that don't know a damn thing about the USN or naval warfare. They should just go play in traffic and let the USN take care of business on the high seas.

Navy Chief (Ret.)

I'm not a moron. I'm not going to play in traffic. I am certainly going to let the navy run the navy, obviously.

My only point is I can't in any scenario see how this was not a major blunder.

So the Skipper of this sub is an incompetent fool who committed an avoidable blunder and you want your tax money back.

I'd start a collection if you, and those like you would move to mainland China...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Paul B.

If you read my first mention of ping you will see I never suggested pings were done as warnings. I repeat, I used the ping comment to point out the ill-logic of intentional ramming.

So the experienced here seem to say that whatever happened was a mistake, as in unintentional, where people seem to get all sensitive is as to whether there was any malpractice involved in the mistake. Yes, I know, big balls and all, and we don't know and the official inquiry will determine that and we won't ever know. We will see side effects, though, from which we can infer.

I'm glad everyone is safe.

As only an outside observer here Hat, I’d say you’re digging an awfully deep hole. FWIW. wink

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
As a midshipman, I spent an afternoon aboard an attack boat, pierside at Norfolk. Very interesting but it didn’t take long for me to think “no way”. 😊
A guy that will strap himself into a veritable rocket so tight it has a 5"8" height limit and then travel mach 1 at a mile in the air wouldn't spend a month or so in a sub?! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Futura

They’re not exactly running blind. There’s a ton of background noise in the ocean. We have unbelievably sophisticated acoustic signal processing. The background noise is used as sonar. Unless they were running fast the background acoustics should let you see an obstruction. A nuclear submarine spends almost all of its time running slow so the reactors run on convection cooling. Without the pumps running the submarine is quieter than the ambient background noise. The seas around China are shallow and rivers even more constricted and shallow. Running into an uncharted sea mount is a possibility but I’m guessing it was man made whatever the boat hit or was hit by. The fact that they wanted to wait until the boat was back to Guam to acknowledge the problem tells me they really didn’t want to reveal where the boat had been. Keep unwanted eyes from tracking it back to where the incident happened.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by navlav8r
A guy that will strap himself into a veritable rocket so tight it has a 5"8" height limit and then travel mach 1 at a mile in the air wouldn't spend a month or so in a sub?! laugh

Yep. Not enough maneuvering room inside a sub. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A short derail for the Submariners here. USS Burrfish, reconnaissance of Yap, more specifically, Gagil Tomil island, August 18, 1944. A five man team from UDT 10 launched an inflatable ( first recorded UDT mission from a sub) to recon the island. John MacMahon, Robert Black and Howard Roeder(my great uncle) were captured and are still MIA to this day. Balls of steel, RIP UDT!

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (21, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 57 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.