-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard it posited that the sub skipper in question may lose his job due to this accident. I don't know and wouldn't care to guess.

I do know that he's been the skipper of a US Navy nuclear fast attack boat which operated in the South China Sea. Regardless of his future with the Navy, I'd buy his first beer any day and be proud to call him neighbor. And the same for any of his crew.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a former cryptology guy in the Navy - our community provides DirSup on a lot of platforms.

Never met a stupid bobblehead. VERY bright guys. You don't become a sub officer without a lot of mental HP. IIRC an engineering or mathematics degree is required. No English majors or women's studies.

Re:peace time v war time Navy - I don't know. Only served in what's considered war time BUT the sub service is different IMO.

There is no such thing as peace time. The second you believe you're on a pleasure cruise - you're done. IMO, there's only various states of war and it likely differs adversary to adversary.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And while they're getting repaired, were we in active and open hostilities - she might still be on patrol.

Believe it or not - Navy boats can operate with damage.

Me

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Dillon: "But some of those jobs are nothing like one would expect from the outside."

NO job is! That is the one cumulative lesson I've taken away over 70 years, from a variety of prosaic jobs.

My wife makes me wear my reading glasses to do the dishes. smile

Last edited by las; 10/10/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
As a former cryptology guy in the Navy - our community provides DirSup on a lot of platforms.

Never met a stupid bobblehead. VERY bright guys. You don't become a sub officer without a lot of mental HP. IIRC an engineering or mathematics degree is required. No English majors or women's studies.

Re:peace time v war time Navy - I don't know. Only served in what's considered war time BUT the sub service is different IMO.

There is no such thing as peace time. The second you believe you're on a pleasure cruise - you're done. IMO, there's only various states of war and it likely differs adversary to adversary.

Ahhh... But Teal?

Was the war you served in a declared war with a peer enemy?
According to Oldhat it doesn't count if not.

Oldhat claims that the so-called peace time military is "not a meritocracy".

For my part, I recognize the sharper ends of the stick for what they are, but then, I never took McHale's Navy for a reality show.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dunno. 2002 - 2006

Iraq an Astan were pretty hot then.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not riding any subs, but always being where they are based, I can say I’ve seen more than one boat come in covered up, and perhaps dry docked at night with big tarps placed here and there. These were pretty much during the 80s and 90s as the Cold War was winding down. Sometimes you heard stuff, sometimes you heard about the weather.
One of my R4 Division Officers was the A-Nav on Parche back “in the day”. You could sure tell he wanted to share some sea stories, but he was the consummate professional warrior, and the most John would ever say was “read the book, Chief”…
I heard he passed only a few short years after he retired, he was a Mustang and taught me a lot (more then your average “O-ganger” should) about being a good Chief…

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 10/10/21.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Only thing I’m sure of is that the Captain’s career is over. I have friends I’m that community and the only thing they are saying is that the sub is a mess. Whatever they hit or got hit by it was a hard hit.

Maybe yes,maybe no.The XO of the last boat I was on dad was an Admiral.While docked in Key West for some reason he had the interlock on the torpedo tubes defeated in the forward torpedo room.He then had the inner door opened with the outer door open.Almost sank the boat at the dock.The episode was squelched.Still every one in New London managed to know.He was an idiot.Could have a relative of Slo Joe.

The peace time military is NOT a meritocracy.

Fugk yourself.
Fucgking estrogen drowned bitch.

It's not, sorry.

Tell that to the senior NCO's.

See if they agree.

You couldn't pack their saddle for them.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by Muffin
I retired from a career in the Fast Attack Submarine Navy and just got home from a reunion of shipmates that I served with on an attack submarine with over 40 years ago. USS Dace SSN-607, a Thresher Class submarine and my first ship. Honorable men and their spouses at that reunion. The public has no idea what attack submarines are called on to do and there’s a reason for that. After becoming a Chief when I had young sailors report into my division I’d tell them that “You aren’t here to earn college credit through the G.I. Bill. You’re here to crew an undersea warship built to kill men and blow [bleep] up. If you don’t learn to do your job better than your enemy, they will kill you or blow your [bleep] up. Keep that in mind” Attack submarines go where they want, when they want, as they want in all the worlds oceans, including under the ice at the top of the world. They are the original stealth weapon. Attack submarines collect intelligence on America’s adversaries and enemies among many other things. To do that you have to be where America’s adversaries are, when they are there, sometimes close aboard. It can’t be done sitting on the couch wringing your hands or from a comfortable distance. Attack submarines go “in harms way” in service of their Country. Proudly. To say that Connecticut’s collision was a “blunder” displays absolute ignorance about the mission that attack submarines are called on to do. There are attack submarines on patrol in all of the world’s oceans right now and every minute of every day. 24/7/365. They do it while you’re sleeping, sitting in the woods with your favorite rifle, and are celebrating Christmas with your loved ones. You’re welcome. As the old submariner’s saying goes, “I’ve got more time sitting on the shytter at test depth than…” Oldhat has even spent thinking about Attack Submarine operations. GMAFB about the analysis of what happened to USS Connecticut. She was on a mission “Of strategic importance to the National Security Interests of the United States of America,” and she wasn’t crewed by idiots. That’s all you need to know, or probably will ever know. And that’s as it should be. Got any scratches on your favorite hunting gun? If you take it out of the cabinet and use it hard I’m betting that you do. Attack Submarines are one of the American military’s favorite hunting guns. They get taken out of the cabinet, sent to sea in harms way and get used hard. We should be proud of that, not talk [bleep] about something we know nothing about. And for the record, I’ve heard “One single ping” used in a strategic situation exactly zero times. It’s a great line for a movie, that is all.

fshaw, IIRC, your boat had also 'been there and done that'

hats off to you, I have many friends from and at Kings Bay.........

Thanks Muffin. I went to a submarine reunion held at Kings Bay, quite a place. Got a tour on a Trident Class ballistic missile boat. Amazing piece of engineering manned by a dedicated group of young men that will make you proud to be an American. Proudly wear a tee shirt from their Chief's Club where we were welcomed. Pride runs deep.

fshaw, I had the pleasure of several Boomer tours............... And I must say this, If you ain't seen one in drydock, you ain't seen one.............. they're freakin huge!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
One ping.

One ping only Vasily.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by johnw

Ahhh... But Teal?

For my part, I recognize the sharper ends of the stick for what they are, but then, I never took McHale's Navy for a reality show.

When was the last actual “ declared war with a peer enemy”?

Ass hat if off base, IMO

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Oldhat,
Do you believe that the world is at peace?
Do you believe that the US Military is not in engagement with anyone, anywhere currently?

I like this kind of discussion. The US is at peace. We have no declared war with a peer foe.
So the gist of your reasoning is that a dangerous world, intense training, high risk missions and cat and mouse engagements on the high seas is equivalent to combat. I disagree. Do you really think WW2 vets would call what the current navy does war?
Do you believe the peace time military is a meritocracy?

Absolutely, I do. And I've never been Navy.

I'm not sure which question you answered. I'll assume both.

I find it incomprehensible that someone would rate the minuscule casualties (0 due to combat) in the current navy to war. You are aware of what the US navy accomplished in WW2. I mean I shouldn't even have to ask.

Make your case. I'm all ears. In a peace time military what merits drive promotion. Pick your branch.

Originally Posted by MAC
There are a whole bunch of morons posting on this thread that don't know a damn thing about the USN or naval warfare. They should just go play in traffic and let the USN take care of business on the high seas.
Navy Chief (Ret.)

I'm not a moron. I'm not going to play in traffic. I am certainly going to let the navy run the navy, obviously.
My only point is I can't in any scenario see how this was not a major blunder.

So the Skipper of this sub is an incompetent fool who committed an avoidable blunder and you want your tax money back.
I'd start a collection if you, and those like you would move to mainland China...

I never said he was an incompetent fool. I mean he drove the boat around for a long item with out running into anything. So obviously he has skill. He can have skill, be a great guy and graduate at the top of his class and still execute a major blunder, obviously.

Oh brother, I question culpability and you equate me to a communist. That is what the left does. The more I read and watch this forum the more I realize the difference between ideologies is simply what set of myths they believe.

I don't care about my tax dollars.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by PJGunner
And for the record, I’ve heard “One single ping” used in a strategic situation exactly zero times. It’s a great line for a movie, that is all.

Hypothetically, do you think ramming an enemy sub is a pro move during peace time?
Maybe "ping" is not the term of art for submariners, but lets use it as a descriptive for warning your enemy that you have the more sophisticated tech and have the "draw" on them. I wonder if pings are used in tactical situations during peace time.

Look at this another way. Capt. X is driving his sub track Captain Won Hung Lo's boat. Tensions are high in that area and Capt. X does your "One ping only." Capt. One Hung Lo thinks, Holy Chit, I'm being attacked and reacts accordingly. One would have to assume it's a case of chit seriously hitting the fane and the first shots of what could be the last ever world war for a few thousand years. Think about that scenario for a while.
Paul B.

If you read my first mention of ping you will see I never suggested pings were done as warnings. I repeat, I used the ping comment to point out the ill-logic of intentional ramming.
So the experienced here seem to say that whatever happened was a mistake, as in unintentional, where people seem to get all sensitive is as to whether there was any malpractice involved in the mistake. Yes, I know, big balls and all, and we don't know and the official inquiry will determine that and we won't ever know. We will see side effects, though, from which we can infer.
I'm glad everyone is safe.

As only an outside observer here Hat, I’d say you’re digging an awfully deep hole. FWIW. wink

I'm not running for elected office. Never could and never would. smile

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Originally Posted by Futura
How does a sub hit an undersea mount? Maybe I missed this somewhere in the thread. Do they not have some sort of radar to detect these things or are they running blind based on charts to stay undetected?

They’re not exactly running blind. There’s a ton of background noise in the ocean. We have unbelievably sophisticated acoustic signal processing. The background noise is used as sonar. Unless they were running fast the background acoustics should let you see an obstruction. A nuclear submarine spends almost all of its time running slow so the reactors run on convection cooling. Without the pumps running the submarine is quieter than the ambient background noise. The seas around China are shallow and rivers even more constricted and shallow. Running into an uncharted sea mount is a possibility but I’m guessing it was man made whatever the boat hit or was hit by. The fact that they wanted to wait until the boat was back to Guam to acknowledge the problem tells me they really didn’t want to reveal where the boat had been. Keep unwanted eyes from tracking it back to where the incident happened.

This is very insightful. I like your post, though given my unpopularity here maybe I should not say that. LOL

I would speculate, that is all I can do since I have zero inside knowledge, that there are ways to fingerprint (identify) the background noise sources (perhaps having fixed known positions) and even triangulate multiple signals to echo loacte with out ever emitting a source noise yourself.

Also, you got me thinking about heat signals. If you were close enough to the target and the target radiated heat into the water then you might be able to estimate proximity. The ocean temps drop significantly with depth so the heat signal would be more exaggerated the deeper you went. Obviously turbulence effects results. This is what a snakes pit Organ(pit viper) does. All it takes is a highly sensitive differential sensor and a lot of processing power.

Okay, now you got me thinking. Insects are known to be able to hone i on chemical identities with enormous accuracy - co2, pheromones, etc... I wonder if there are chemical signatures one might be able to identity near proximity as well.

The world of non visual sensing is very fascinating.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Can you list the various states of war? I mean really, we are not talking Clausewitz or Sun Tzu here, right.

I don't think anyone here believes submarines are pleasure cruises.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Dunno. 2002 - 2006

Iraq an Astan were pretty hot then.

For the boots on the ground the risk was high and the dangers very, very real.

Do you really think the navy was in any real danger. I mean yes there was danger, but they were shooting fish in a barrel with impunity.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
AssHat and Ass Toot, post alot alike.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ahhh... But Teal?

When was the last actual “ declared war with a peer enemy”?

Ass hat if off base, IMO

I have no idea what you are saying, but technically it was WW2. I will concede that a conflict does not have to be declared by congress to be a war. Vietnam, Korea come to mind for sure.

What really defines a war are the number of casualties. Because the number of casualties are what shapes and molds the military that participates. Do a study of the Wehrmacht on the eastern front. That was a meritocracy.

When a military does not face an actual existential threat, I mean a real existential threat, it becomes a bureaucracy and bureaucracies never forge meritocracies. They are incompatible. Bureaucratic military organizations worry more about position, seniority and pensions.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
One ping.

One ping only Vasily.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The chinks got a ‘stealth sub’, no?

Sounds a lot like Mac from Predator to me -

“I seeee yooouuu!”

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,353
Posts18,527,038
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.