Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
One ping.

One ping only Vasily.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It may seem so, but you haven't been correct yet.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the boots on the ground the risk was high and the dangers very, very real.

Do you really think the navy was in any real danger. I mean yes there was danger, but they were shooting fish in a barrel with impunity.

The 17 SEALS that lost their life in Extortion 17 thank you for your understanding and concern.

*plonk* (moron)

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Pugs

Do you really think the navy was in any real danger. I mean yes there was danger, but they were shooting fish in a barrel with impunity.

The 17 SEALS that lost their life in Extortion 17 thank you for your understanding and concern.

*plonk* (moron)

Nothing I said ever made light of individual deaths. They are very sad and my heart goes out to those families.

That said ...

https://www.quora.com/How-many-Navy-SEALs-have-been-killed-in-action-since-1962
"81 since desert storm, 4 in Panama, another 4 in Grenada, 49 listed in Vietnam, the cold war list has 3 prior to 1962, and one name duplicated, but the list holds 54 lines total. (50 eligible for your question)...
After this, the answer gets hazy, because there's a SEAL memorial that lists deaths overall, but not with any specific emphasis on whether they were KIA, other cause, or even natural causes from old age. I discovered the tentative total of "at least 188"

OBVIOUSLY, just standing on the deck of an aircraft carrier is dangerous, but as an organization the navy was never in any real danger over the last several decades. Yes, things may have happened, but that is very different than war with a peer navy.

I have a question, how many air to air combat missions have US military air wings engaged in in the last 30 years? I mean our fighters are designed to fight peer tech and peer pilots correct?

I'm not saying flying a modern combat fighter is not dangerous. It is! And I'm not saying flying a modern combat fighter does not take enormous skill and courage. It does.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
One ping.

One ping only Vasily.

Have you ever put more than 2 sentences together in any post here?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One ping.

One ping only Vasily.

Mask up , Toots

FISH CAMP!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a story posted on AP today reporting that a Navy Nuclear Engineer specializing in U.S. submarine technology, and his wife, have been arrested for trying to sell submarine nuclear information to "a foreign government." His traitorous actions could have endangered one helluva lot of submariners' lives, and U.S. subs. Hope they hang them both.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/n...bmarine-secrets-with-foreign-government/

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
Dunno. 2002 - 2006

Iraq an Astan were pretty hot then.

My community was very purple. I had Navy, Marines, Army, AF, NSA civilians, contractors and at least 2 other countries operators in my shop and we worked with other agencies and tier 1 assets.

I/we specialized in islamic extremism and Counter Terroism. People in my shop were on the ground, in country and not on a boat. Usually with HEAVILY armed small groups.

Hint.

At this point - I think I'm done. Not inclined to discuss things with people who've never stood a watch or badged into a SCIF.

Good luck getting out of the hole of ignorance you've dug.

Just because you don't read about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Me

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Not riding any subs, but always being where they are based, I can say I’ve seen more than one boat come in covered up, and perhaps dry docked at night with big tarps placed here and there. These were pretty much during the 80s and 90s as the Cold War was winding down. Sometimes you heard stuff, sometimes you heard about the weather.
One of my R4 Division Officers was the A-Nav on Parche back “in the day”. You could sure tell he wanted to share some sea stories, but he was the consummate professional warrior, and the most John would ever say was “read the book, Chief”…
I heard he passed only a few short years after he retired, he was a Mustang and taught me a lot (more then your average “O-ganger” should) about being a good Chief…

Chief Hamlin, I’m I worked with your shop in Groton while doing special equipment installs and system certifications of deploying attack submarines 84-87. The OMs there were hard working guys and always went above and beyond to put in the many extra hours to get boats to sea ready to go and on time. Never heard of a boat that your guys did that had an optical failure of any type. Exceptional work. I worked at SSEP in Bldg 448 up on the hill. Funny that you mentioned Parche, she was the last boat I served on. Who was your division officer that served aboard her?

Oldhat you certainly have strong opinions which you are definitely entitled to. My question to you stands, You ever serve on active duty in theater? Any type of active duty?

Last edited by fshaw; 10/10/21.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
“At this point - I think I'm done. Not inclined to discuss things with people who've never stood a watch or badged into a SCIF.”

Well said Teal. What branch CT were you?

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Strider1
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Which two campfire posters are those? grin

радянське лайно, іди ебать свою матір
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

Who is America govt hunting now besides its greatest adversary, their own law abiding patriotic citizens? ( according to our own intel agencies Biden and military leadership) It sure ain’t our biggest threat China

Originally Posted by fshaw
I retired from a career in the Fast Attack Submarine Navy and just got home from a reunion of shipmates that I served with on an attack submarine with over 40 years ago. USS Dace SSN-607, a Thresher Class submarine and my first ship. Honorable men and their spouses at that reunion. The public has no idea what attack submarines are called on to do and there’s a reason for that. After becoming a Chief when I had young sailors report into my division I’d tell them that “You aren’t here to earn college credit through the G.I. Bill. You’re here to crew an undersea warship built to kill men and blow [bleep] up. If you don’t learn to do your job better than your enemy, they will kill you or blow your [bleep] up. Keep that in mind” Attack submarines go where they want, when they want, as they want in all the worlds oceans, including under the ice at the top of the world. They are the original stealth weapon. Attack submarines collect intelligence on America’s adversaries and enemies among many other things. To do that you have to be where America’s adversaries are, when they are there, sometimes close aboard. It can’t be done sitting on the couch wringing your hands or from a comfortable distance. Attack submarines go “in harms way” in service of their Country. Proudly. To say that Connecticut’s collision was a “blunder” displays absolute ignorance about the mission that attack submarines are called on to do. There are attack submarines on patrol in all of the world’s oceans right now and every minute of every day. 24/7/365. They do it while you’re sleeping, sitting in the woods with your favorite rifle, and are celebrating Christmas with your loved ones. You’re welcome. As the old submariner’s saying goes, “I’ve got more time sitting on the shytter at test depth than…” Oldhat has even spent thinking about Attack Submarine operations. GMAFB about the analysis of what happened to USS Connecticut. She was on a mission “Of strategic importance to the National Security Interests of the United States of America,” and she wasn’t crewed by idiots. That’s all you need to know, or probably will ever know. And that’s as it should be. Got any scratches on your favorite hunting gun? If you take it out of the cabinet and use it hard I’m betting that you do. Attack Submarines are one of the American military’s favorite hunting guns. They get taken out of the cabinet, sent to sea in harms way and get used hard. We should be proud of that, not talk [bleep] about something we know nothing about. And for the record, I’ve heard “One single ping” used in a strategic situation exactly zero times. It’s a great line for a movie, that is all.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
“At this point - I think I'm done. Not inclined to discuss things with people who've never stood a watch or badged into a SCIF.”

I badged into a SCIF many years . It sure doesn’t make you special anymore. They hand out TS sci clearances now like Halloween candy . It’s a joke. Thank Clinton and especially Obama for the greatly lowered standards

Last edited by ribka; 10/10/21.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
One ping.

One ping only Vasily.

Why would I?

My answers are correct.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I branch

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka

I badged into a SCIF many years . It sure doesn’t make you special anymore. They hand out TS sci clearances now like Halloween candy . It’s a joke. Thank Clinton and especially Obama for the greatly lowered standards

I had quite a few shipmates that were over 18 months in and had no clearance - was still being processed and investigated.

Had one shipmate lose it within a year at duty station. Dropped it damn fast for a hot piss test.

I don't know about today but then, it was what it was. Lots of people in A school sitting around waiting to find out if they could move on.

I for one know I could get cleared in any environment. Clean living.

And I only brought up the scif because the actual events of this collision- likely only discussed there.

Same with other events "during peace time".

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
The chinks got a ‘stealth sub’, no?

Sounds a lot like Mac from Predator to me -

“I seeee yooouuu!”

It sounds more and more likely that the Connecticut simply struck the sea floor like the San Francisco before her.

But to address this question, not really of any likely relevance to the Connecticut.

The most modern of diesel electrics and AIP submarines are damned stealthy, and are a real threat to our SSNs in littoral waters.

China does have a couple dozen non-nuclear attack boats. But I do not know how modern nor how silent those classes might be.

North Korea also fields such boats along with many European and other Asian nations.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Chief Hamlin, I’m I worked with your shop in Groton while doing special equipment installs and system certifications of deploying attack submarines 84-87. The OMs there were hard working guys and always went above and beyond to put in the many extra hours to get boats to sea ready to go and on time. Never heard of a boat that your guys did that had an optical failure of any type. Exceptional work. I worked at SSEP in Bldg 448 up on the hill. Funny that you mentioned Parche, she was the last boat I served on. Who was your division officer that served aboard her?

PM sent, glad to here we were well thought of, we tried hard. We didn't venture up to main base much, we swapped scopes up there on the hill, maybe it was mid-late 90s, Cleaver and I did some work over on Nautilus Museum, we mostly hung out and made our money on the old waterfront and 157...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can still recognize that port - that hill behind on the LH side of the pic shows the spot where (IIRC) a US bomber was shot down and crashed into that hill... I was in Yokosuka's base several times during my stints on USS Redfish and USS Razorback..

I bet they know full well what they hit but nobody's sayin'...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
I bet they know full well what they hit but nobody's sayin'...

Which makes me think it wasn’t an uncharted sea mount ...
After talking to a friend I’d bet my paycheck it was a Chinese Sub...

Last edited by Daveinjax; 10/11/21.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (270wsmnutt, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,445
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.