Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by savage24
The pretext:
I am planning on purchasing a new 1/2 ton pickup in the next 5 years. This truck will be used primarily for leisure travel in retirement, and general daily use such as going to the gun club, going to coffee, and things like that. No heavy towing- we prefer to tent camp and the only boats we own are kayaks.
I will expect this truck to last me as long as I am still able to drive.

The dilemma:
I don’t want to be stuck with an internal combustion engine as everyone converts to EV and fuel costs skyrocket (due to less consumption - think price difference between 12ga vs 410 shot shells).

EV’s and EV infrastructure has a long way to go in the US before it is viable for long distance travel. So, I don’t want to purchase an early EV truck that will quickly become obsolete junk as the technology advances (think first generation cordless tools).

I don’t need the extra power from a diesel engine for my purposes but I am thinking that diesel will be around and the price will remain more stable longer than gasoline.

I am going to give serious consideration to the GM 6 cylinder turbo Diesel engine.

I would appreciate everyone’s thoughts regarding the viability of the different options in the coming years. Is diesel the way to go? I don’t want to be left ‘holding the bag’ with a good truck with no resale or trade in value that I can’t afford to put fuel in.

Do what you like but here 90-odd% go diesel.

Interesting statistic. That sort of overwhelming buy in doesnt happen by accident. Are all other factors equal between Diesel and Gas (Petrol) is there an explanation for this 90% buy in for diesel in Australia? Taxes? Fuel prices?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Here is my take.

1) Electric, Tesla is coming out with their 500 mile range pickup truck in 2022. Made in Texas. If you are worried about charging, Tesla has others beat hands down. Their charging stations, nationwide following the interstate system can charge you in 45 minutes. A test between an electric Model S Tesla, a Ford Mustang Electric, and a gasoline Audi. 1,000 miles, all using the same route. The Audi made it in 18.5 hours. The Tesla in 20 hours, and the Electric Ford Mustang, in 28 hours. Ford had a problem charging and had to stop overnight to charge. Tesla took two 45 minute charges, thus the hour and a half behind Audi. All had to go the speed limit. Tesla also comes with 3 ways to charge. 110 volts in 8 hours, 220 volts in 3 hours, or their charging stations in 45 minutes. I think their charging stations use 440 volts.

2) Hybrid. This would get you better gas mileage, and the batteries usually last 8-10 years.

3) Gasoline. Gas is right now cheaper than diesel, but prices are rising fast. Just saw American Crude at $80 a barrel.

4) Diesel, more expensive than a gas user. Diesel is higher priced now with "clean diesel". Both gas and diesel will be over $5 a gallon before Joe is out of office.

I would either buy an electric Tesla when they come out with the extended range batteries or buy a Ford Hybrid. Both will be about the same price. Tesla's have to be ordered on the internet, and a small deposit made. You may have to wait about 2 years to get one. Also, Tesla is now the world's largest vehicle corporation by value. You also don't get a tax credit anymore because they exceed 100,000 vehicles being mad a year. The first 100,000 electric vehicles made get a tax credit no mater who makes them. At least it used to be 100,000 vehicles.

I won't repeat what I wrote in another thread, but the 1000 mile comparison test was fundamentally flawed. My take is here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...dstown-all-electric-pickups#Post16445850

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Interesting statistic. That sort of overwhelming buy in doesnt happen by accident. Are all other factors equal between Diesel and Gas (Petrol) is there an explanation for this 90% buy in for diesel in Australia? Taxes? Fuel prices?

Reliability and fuel availability, every block has diesel. That said petrol vehicles are getting better...there is no doubt about that.

Were I in a city or large town without the need to go bush I would only purchase a petrol vehicle as they really are getting better, certainly cheaper as well.

But for bush...diesel.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Reliability and fuel availability, every block has diesel. That said petrol vehicles are getting better...there is no doubt about that.

Were I in a city or large town without the need to go bush I would only purchase a petrol vehicle as they really are getting better, certainly cheaper as well.

But for bush...diesel.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you're even considering a Diesel, get a RAM / Cummins 6.7. Best in the market, ever.

the only problem is emissions. if it's deleted then at some point you're gonna be screwed. the feds are going to make it undriveable. SO, if you want a good diesel without the emissions hassle, get one of these:

1. the IH 7.3 in the 2000-2002.5 F250 (I just bought one this year for that very reason) I found the 2000 F-250 with 31k miles on it. Yes 31k original.
2. A pre-emissions Cummins 5.9, they're out there and they will last you until you're in the ground.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in the US it is pretty unusual to get a half ton with a diesel. Unless you are going to get a Colorado with the small diesel, which is highly rated and has great reviews...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by strikeu
if you're even considering a Diesel, get a RAM / Cummins 6.7. Best in the market, ever.

the only problem is emissions. if it's deleted then at some point you're gonna be screwed. the feds are going to make it undriveable. SO, if you want a good diesel without the emissions hassle, get one of these:

1. the IH 7.3 in the 2000-2002.5 F250 (I just bought one this year for that very reason) I found the 2000 F-250 with 31k miles on it. Yes 31k original.
2. A pre-emissions Cummins 5.9, they're out there and they will last you until you're in the ground.

I’m not operating a cattle ranch - I need a city slicker truck.
I want a large vehicle with lots of passenger & cargo room for multi day trips that has a comfortable ride. The utility of a 1/2 ton light duty truck beats out an SUV for my purposes, but I don’t need lots of power or towing capacity.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by savage24
Originally Posted by strikeu

I’m not operating a cattle ranch - I need a city slicker truck.
I want a large vehicle with lots of passenger & cargo room for multi day trips that has a comfortable ride. The utility of a 1/2 ton light duty truck beats out an SUV for my purposes, but I don’t need lots of power or towing capacity.

OK, got ya. then I would seriously dismiss a Diesel from your options. All I know, and all I have driven for the last 15 years is Diesels. I've had mostly Cummins. The EPA and feds are seriously screwing the medium sized diesel market out of business. I got the 7.3L F-250 because I wanted the Diesel but I wanted something I didn't have to hassle with the emissions.

get a good gasser, listen to the other guys on gassers but if you don't need diesel power then seriously don't go there...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Chev makes a 2.7 4 banger that will tow. No lo range 4wd though
The 3.0 diesel will too, with a low range transfer case.

I still think the electric revolution will be public transportation and permission slips to travel.

So far the only EV I like is a dirt bike because my 86 yo brother laid down his gas dirt bike out alone and had a hard time kick starting it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I went with a 2021 f150 hybrid. The 3.0 L chevy inline 6 diesel runs well and gets good milage too. My F150 is definitely faster but the chevy 3.0 runs strong with a tourqey feel and a smooth 10 speed auto. The one I drove got 30 mpg on the highway.

The newest version of the ram 3.0 diesel is much better than their earlier one was. My 2019 ram half ton had the hemi and only got around 16mpg but it was a really nice truck and road and drove great. I'd be tempted to try a ram 3.0 diesel too because the trucks drive so nice.

Bb

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got 2 of the 5.9 Cummins and have had all the newer full size diesel trucks. Forget going the coin and cost for diesel. You want a nice city slicker truck so get a Toyota. I wouldn't consider GM over Toyota if going for a new truck that's a gasser.

In the end get what you desire and have fun with it. I'm going to go hang out in Central Idaho with my old 5.9 Cummins Ram with an 2021 KTM 690 Enduro on the flatbed. It ain't no city slicker rig. It's pretty much a hillbilly setup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run a Ford F350 Super Duty with a gas engine up here in Alaska. That electric bullshiz wouldn't for me here. I love my truck, thank you very much.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have enjoyed reading this thread and agree with a lot that has been said. I do run a cattle ranch and have four 5.9 Cummins. They work well for me. If I were to buy a Ford, it would be the 7.3. I also agree the future of EV is public transportation and papers to travel. My wife bought a 2020 Four Runner two years ago. It works well for our purposes.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A couple years ago we bought a near new Toyota Highlander gas. For another $10k we could have got a hybrid. I can't see that we'd ever save enough gas with the hybrid to break even on that $10k

I priced these in May of 2020 and the hybrid was less than $1,000 more than a gas burner. IIRC, more like $500 premium. I was leaning that route but we decided the 3rd row was too small and went with another brand all together.

The information I was reading may be out of date but it seems the heavier the vehicle, the less benefit there is to a hybrid. Seems hybrids have been popular with small sedans and crossovers but they don’t sell well in full size SUV’s or trucks.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m 70 years old and am driving a 2019 Silverado, gas. My next one will be a Silverado, gas. The one after that, if I’m still alive will be a Silverado, gas.
I need to be able to drive in comfort 8-12 hours straight on hunting trips. I haul very little and don’t pull anything.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For leisure, you want an electric. That way you'll have lots of free time to drink coffee, gas with friends, etc. while it's charging.
LMAO.... Sooooooo true....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any body that would buy electric without a very specific reason didn't know the question.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone that buys an electric pickup is a commie. It's simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bugs4
If you're willing to be painfully honest about it ( which all of the Greenies are totally unwilling to do), the EV makes the least environmental sense of all of them. If we just burned the natural gas that we have an obscene abundance of directly in the vehicle rather than using it to generate electricity we could burn 40% less for the same number of miles driven.
The biggest problem with NG for a vehicle fuel is the size and weight of the required tank. It has to be very heavy. Also, there's problem of refueling time. It takes a long time to compress NG enough to be practical as a fuel. The equipment to compress it is very large and expensive. Then there's the exhaust problem - it's largely CO2 which is what the greenies are trying to avoid.

CO2 is what they're using to convince the world that we're in big trouble. It's not the problem but it can be controlled and regulated. The real greenhouse problem, water vapor, makes up a much larger % of the atmosphere but it can't be controlled, regulated, or taxed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gasoline powered F-150.....easy one.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.