Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I thought it was maybe General Melchett.

I am MAGA.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have an old (was in my Grandfather's butcher shop that he started in '46 it is a heavy beast but boy does it grind meat. If it died I would look into buying a used one at a used restaurant supply store or auction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My BIL has a LEM #22 with the 1 hp motor. I've used it a couple of times and decided it was too big, so I bought the LEM #8 with the 1/2 hp motor. So far, it's done good.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oldman03
My BIL has a LEM #22 with the 1 hp motor. I've used it a couple of times and decided it was too big, so I bought the LEM #8 with the 1/2 hp motor. So far, it's done good.

That's the one I have. It's adequate. I would like a #12, about all I need.

Travis likes 10"....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I thought it was maybe General Melchett.

Hmm, no idea.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MountainABoner
Originally Posted by Oldman03

That's the one I have. It's adequate. I would like a #12, about all I need.

Travis likes 10"....

How would you know?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Thanks for the replies, guys. Our current one has been doing two pigs and several deer a year for several years. It’s a LEM, and has always done the job, but clogs badly with connective tissue and has since new. Hoping to solve that issue now that we need a new one. If a commercial is needed, we can do that, and I was already leaning that way. All ears if LEM makes a grinder that handles connective tissue without clogging. Stopping to clean the grinder slows us down, and I am looking to smooth that portion of the process.

Where is the connective tissue clogging?
If it’s at the grinder plate I have noticed a big different when I got new grinder plates and a bought a dedicated knife for each plate and kept them paired up as opposed to one knife and a few different plates.
In the neck and alongside the along the auger?
I have learned to cube up the meat and put it on cookie sheets one layer thick and set in the freezer as I go then take out and feed the grinder. I get much less clogging from frosty meat than cool but totally thawed meat, also I take the neck and auger attachment off when I am not running them between batches little breaks etc. and set in a meat lug full of ice water to keep it chilled.
It seems to me the clogging gets as temperature of the meat and the grinder go up. That’s another reason why I think a bigger grinder works better because it goes faster and has less time to get hot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have had the Cabelas 1.5 hp. It has been an awesome grinder for ten years and is still like new. We grind 4-6 animals a year.
Get the bigger grinder. The little ones struggle with sinew and heat. At least 3/4 hp IMO.
Also, the $60.00 foot peddle is awesome. Starts and stop with a foot switch. Way better control and you don't have to use your greasy hands to turn switches on and off/reverse.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shootem
I might add, the Cabela's small units are quite a bit different from the Carnivore. Mine is a size 12, 3/4 horse and I cant bog it down. I have forgotten the exact weight but its all I want to lift up to the counter. No sinew clogs. The meat flows. A trick the Carnivores have that is unlike any other IIRC, is a frozen, removable, reusable neck that straps on the screw housing. I bought an extra. It keeps the meat cold as it heads to the knife and keeps the ground meat coming out cool. Like others have mentioned bigger is better when it comes to neck size. I wish now I had gotten a 1 hp with a size 8 system but the 3/4 is plenty to do 4 to 8 deer a year.

Glad this got bumped ‘cause I posted the wrong info. Got the grinder out last week to make pork sausage and discovered I actually have the 1/2HP #8 Carnivore. Everything else was true wink. Doing just as much but with a smaller grinder than I remembered.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Toledo Chopper from a deli that closed. You can put in a whole deer, and meat flows like water. I don't use it, because it is too big to bring up from the basement.
Good machine for a camp with a lot of deer to be processed.
If any one n PA needs it, I could sell it local.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well I ordered a LEM Big Bite #12 and LEM accessory kit, can't wait.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished with a cow elk. The LEM #12 was great. No issues at all!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
you did good!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my experience you might be money ahead to find a used commercial grinder rather then some of the home use ones I have seen. My first (which I still have as a backup) is an old hobart #12 I found on ebay for $300-400 about 15 or 16 years ago. It was old then. Not the biggest and not the most powerful but it ate a lot of meat. I ran a beef through it once which I would not recommend unless you don't mind feeding a grinder for hours on end.

I upgraded to a Hobart 5 HP 3-phase with a phase convertor that I bought from a grocery store for $500. It worked ok but you lose 1/3 of your power unless you go with a rotary convertor. If I had to stop/start with tempered meat in the head it would sometimes struggle to start. No problem if it was at full speed.

Finally sold that and found a good used Biro single phase 3 HP. I had to pay up to get it but I still paid a fraction of a new one and I am sure I could sell it today for more then I paid. I am sure my grandkids will be grinding with this one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sorry, I thought this was about my ex-girlfriend.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 56 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,512,002
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.