Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Anschutz used to make a .22 Mag. Wonder how they shoot?

I had an Anschutz 1720, 22 mag. Didn’t shoot it enough to justify keeping.
Was much more accurate than the pos Ruger 77/22 mag that I had.

NRA Patron
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Anschutz used to make a .22 Mag. Wonder how they shoot?

Very well. (Sample of one)

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When you combine the fun of shooting a rimfire (no chasing brass), add magnum power, then make it semi-auto, light, accurate, and with a grippy stock, you got a winner. Magnum Research, about $600 on the used market. Reliable too. Lots of fun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do you have a matching chesterfield for that chair ?

<< chortle >>

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’ve never put it on a scale but .22 mag is obviously well known for not being all that accurate. I’ve never had a high end .22 mag but never had a really accurate one either.

I had a friend that said he thought one of his most accurate rifles was a 22 magnum, until he put a scope on it.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gibby
Winchester 9422M most used walk-a-bout gun for enjoying a day.

Been using a lot of 45 and 50gr bullets for awhile now.

I have this rifle and have achieved 1 inch groups at 100 yards with CCI TNT 36 grain hollowpoint bullets.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
CCI’s work well in my Marlin bolt

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
BTW, of all the "accuracy tests" for .22 LR target ammo that people use, I don't recall anybody ever sorting for bullet diameter. I dug out a micrometer one day and starting measuring that - and was astounded to learn that it varied by as much as .003" from brand to brand. As you might expect from cast bullet lore, the smaller the diameter, the worse the accuracy and fouling a given .22 LR load produced. So...if you're looking for accurate .22 LR ammo, you might consider sorting by bullet diameter rather than weighing or rim measuring.

I arrived at this awakening in a more roundabout way. Was trying to shoot squirrels with a heavy barrel Ruger Mk pistol. Kept missing easy close shots and getting jams mostly fail to feed. Figgered the Ruger was due a good cleaning. Easy to do with stainless/black, break out the brake cleaner and follow with electronics spray. But it did no good so I just wrote it off to being Remington rim fire. Golden Bullet hollow points. Gave them to my son to shoot in a CZ bolt rifle and Ruger Single Six. Strange thing, some were hard to chamber in the CZ and quite a few wouldn’t fit in the Ruger cylinder without a struggle. That’s when the light went on.

Those Golden bullets mic’d out bad; with a few smaller than 0.223 and most being over .224 with the largest ones measuring up to 0.228 . And whatever the name is of Remington unplated bullets, they checked out pretty much the same.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do you have a matching chesterfield for that chair ?

<< chortle >>

Hey, don't chortle at me mister!

LOL

Chesterfield says he.

Sheesh.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned a Browning A-Bolt 22 magnum rifle for many years. It is pleasingly accurate with CCI Maxi-Mag hollow points.

Last edited by TNrifleman; 10/22/21.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I did a bunch of research on the .22 Magnum not too many years ago for an article in RIFLE magazine. My conclusion was that the reason .22 Magnums are so "picky" about ammo is the bullets vary more than in any other rimfire round.. All .22 Long Rifle ammo uses similar bullets, whether plated or lubed lead, and .17 HMR ammo (and .17 M2, when available) uses jacketed bullets. But .22 Magnum ammo uses bullets resembling both .22 LR (such as the original Winchester 40-grain load, which generally shoots well in most rifles) and jacketed .17 bullets Consequently there's considerable variation in bullet-to-rifling jump.

But then I picked up yet another .22 Magnum at a local store, partly because it was on sale and partly because it was a Ruger American, which despite their "affordable" construction generally shoot well. It proved to be the most ammo-tolerant .22 Magnum I've ever owned, and have owned a bunch of good ones. Just about any ammo will group 5 rounds into 1.5" or less at 100 yards, and some much better--and normally to the same point of impact.

So I contacted one of the design guys at Ruger and asked why this might be so. Did they do something different with their .22 Magnum chambers? His answer was, "Luck?"

But then a buddy and I went ground squirrel shooting, and he was so impressed with the RAR .22 Magnum (I let him shoot it some too) that he went out and found one--and it shoots the same way.

Better bullets for sure with the .17's.

Also, something that I've thought of many times.

On rimfire, the firing pin strikes off center (duh). In the long case of the .22 mag it forces the front of the cartridge to the opposite side (more so than .22lr's). Varies on chamber size. With the .17's you have the bottle neck forcing and keeping the front of the cartridge centered. Can't help to think that this can have an effect in some guns. Maybe, maybe not.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I would doubt that, Gibby.
The longer the inner "tube" in the outer "tube" - the less the angular displacement.
Assuming the same diameter tolerance.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree, 100yards is a good max range for the 22 mag. I refer to that distance as my mini 'grand" meaning 1000yards. I have killed a pile of G-hogs with the 22 mag. (Hornady V-max 30gr.) But, it does have its limits and I have only used it a few times beyond 100yards. My set up was, Savage 93, weaver 3x9 scope set at 6x, reticle sub tension allows a perfect holds at 100 and 150. I carried a Ruger Single six 5.5 inch barrel 22 mag cylinder CCI maxi mag 40gr HP. for the close shots that came up from time to time. Closest shot was 21/2 yards. My rule with this set up was to stalk to within the 100 yards or closer, of the G-hog and wait for a broad side shot. Mostly head shots. It worked well when pointed correctly and I had many enjoyable hunts. It was a great way to supplement my summer days when I was not fishing. As long as you do not push the range and size of the critter it works very well. Accuracy, was minute of G-hog head shot! If that makes any sense?

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I love .22 mag but finding consistent ammo always seems to be the problem. Was sitting around kinda bored and decided to pull out a brick of .22 mag and weigh the rounds to see the discrepancy between each. CCI Maximag 40 gr JHP.
Lightest of the group was 8.89 gr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Heaviest was 9.10 gr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]cirno wallpaper
All but 41 of the 500 fell between 8.97 and 9.05

I’m curious as to how much more consistency I can get from shooting similar weights vs pulling random rounds from a box.
Anyone done any experimenting like this for the 22 mag?

My Win 9422 WMR wont shoot CCI for crap.

Does well with Win, Rem and Hornady. It did well with the older Fed HP but sometimes with the newer hp with a big hole in the tip the bullets start to tumble past 60 yards.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/23/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I agree, 100yards is a good max range for the 22 mag. I refer to that distance as my mini 'grand" meaning 1000yards. I have killed a pile of G-hogs with the 22 mag. (Hornady V-max 30gr.) But, it does have its limits and I have only used it a few times beyond 100yards. My set up was, Savage 93, weaver 3x9 scope set at 6x, reticle sub tension allows a perfect holds at 100 and 150. I carried a Ruger Single six 5.5 inch barrel 22 mag cylinder CCI maxi mag 40gr HP. for the close shots that came up from time to time. Closest shot was 21/2 yards. My rule with this set up was to stalk to within the 100 yards or closer, of the G-hog and wait for a broad side shot. Mostly head shots. It worked well when pointed correctly and I had many enjoyable hunts. It was a great way to supplement my summer days when I was not fishing. As long as you do not push the range and size of the critter it works very well. Accuracy, was minute of G-hog head shot! If that makes any sense?
I consider it a good 125-150 yard woodchuck cartridge . Have killed many at those ranges with my MOA capable Marlin.. Beyond 125 yards it requires head shots to keep them topside reliably due to limited energy and bullet expansion. Past 150 it gets iffy due to accuracy limitations.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I love .22 mag but finding consistent ammo always seems to be the problem. Was sitting around kinda bored and decided to pull out a brick of .22 mag and weigh the rounds to see the discrepancy between each. CCI Maximag 40 gr JHP.
Lightest of the group was 8.89 gr
Heaviest was 9.10 gr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]cirno wallpaper
All but 41 of the 500 fell between 8.97 and 9.05

I’m curious as to how much more consistency I can get from shooting similar weights vs pulling random rounds from a box.
Anyone done any experimenting like this for the 22 mag?

My Win 9422 WMR wont shoot CCI for crap.

Does well with Win, Rem and Hornady. It did well with the older Fed HP but sometimes with the newer hp with a big hole in the tip the bullets start to tumble past 60 yards.
Remington and Hornady .22 Mag. ammo is just repackaged CCI.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Measured a 50 round box
Bullet measurement in mm (each measured 3x for accuracy). Measurement taken in same spot on each. Approximately 1/2 way from brass to the “shoulder” where the bullet begins to taper

(4) 5.64
(11) 5.65
(20) 5.66
(8) 5.67
(6) 5.68
(1) 5.69

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I recently took my early model Winchester 9422M to the range. Mounted with a 4x scope and shooting at 50 yds 5 shot groups averaged .437. Used CCI Mini-Mag TNT 30 grain varmint ammo.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.