Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did I ever tell my union story from the Beaver Valley in PA? Was looking at a cement plant, doing an audit for a customer that sent liquid hazardous waste there to be incinerated in the kiln.

They had a clay pit and a limestone quarry right there on-site providing the raw materials for cement. There wasn't much going on in the plant, not a lot of activity related to cement-making. Just a custodial crew.

We saw a big ocean going freighter docked at their pier so I asked what it was hauling. The answer was "clinker," the intermediary in cement manufacturing that's produced when you heat the raw materials in the kiln, but before processing. Looks like dirt clods.

They were shipping these dirt clods over from Spain because it was cheaper to do that than to process the raw materials right there on-site. When I asked how that could be, the answer I got was: "see that guy over there pushing the broom? He's union and he gets $XXX/hr."

I forget what the amount was, but the message was clear.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by smokepole
No one I know. Must all be union members.

Almost certainly. Strictly talking middle class...if thats a thing anymore...how bout stock options? Hmmm? How many folks receive those?

As a percentage of the work force, very few.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did I ever tell my story about unions in Philadelphia? We were working on a project site, drilling test borings. Union got wind of it and shut the project site down until we hired two of their people for the project.

Lazy MF-ers showed up and sat in their truck the whole time which was fine with us because they had no clue what we were doing.

Value-added, LOL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did I ever tell my union story from the Beaver Valley in PA? Was looking at a cement plant, doing an audit for a customer that sent liquid hazardous waste there to be incinerated in the kiln.

They had a clay pit and a limestone quarry right there on-site providing the raw materials for cement. There wasn't much going on in the plant, not a lot of activity related to cement-making. Just a custodial crew.

We saw a big ocean going freighter docked at their pier so I asked what it was hauling. The answer was "clinker," the intermediary in cement manufacturing that's produced when you heat the raw materials in the kiln, but before processing. Looks like dirt clods.

They were shipping these dirt clods over from Spain because it was cheaper to do that than to process the raw materials right there on-site. When I asked how that could be, the answer I got was: "see that guy over there pushing the broom? He's union and he gets $XXX/hr."

I forget what the amount was, but the message was clear.

And? Its the union workers fault? Its not the little guy pushing the broom for 25/hr making those, sometimes illegal, decisions.

I want you to look up China steel dumping. See who was working with who to try to stop it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did I ever tell my story about unions in Philadelphia? We were working on a project site, drilling test borings. Union got wind of it and shut the project site down until we hired two of their people for the project.

Lazy MF-ers showed up and sat in their truck the whole time which was fine with us because they had no clue what we were doing.

Value-added, LOL.

We do that all the time. The CBA calls for union workers, if youre gonna farm it out we are gonna have guys, under the CBA, overlook the project. Or we shut it down. Company signed the CBA to use union workers, its not the unions decision to farm out work. If company thinks they can farm it out and abide by the CBA at the same time and come out $$$$ ahead so be it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Almost certainly. Strictly talking middle class...if thats a thing anymore...how bout stock options? Hmmm? How many folks receive those?

As a percentage of the work force, very few.

Somebody has to stand up and be the voice of the very elite!

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm in the BLET union, I have to be for my job because I work for BNSF RR. I don't like the National leadership and the way they tell us to vote. Most of our local doesn't feel the same way as National as our biggest commodity we hauled was coal for over 20 years. However the union has negotiated pretty good pay and benefits for us in the past.

We got a letter late 2019 from BNSF as our current contract was open for negotiations Jan 2020. The carrier basically said we were overpaid, under worked, and had too good of benefits and they are wanting to align with what the current corporate trends to stay competitive. So their main focus was to cut our two man crew in half on the majority of freight trains. Cut our pay, take away unpaid time off, a week/2 weeks of vacation from the employees with 25+ years, and make us pay more for our Health insurance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART

And as usual the resident jack-asses start pointing the finger and shouting "commie"...too stupid to realize it is mostly working men trying to do for their families.

Unions must be different in Oz. I love foreigners opining on domestic issues in the U.S. lol

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Here is what workers voted on Tuesday:

Wages
According to a contract summary, workers would receive an immediate 10% increase in wages in the first year and an additional 5% in the third and fifth years. But some of that increase is tied to inflation through cost of living adjustments (COLA), which have the potential to change.
The proposed COLA would adjust every three months with inflation. The first adjustment would be effective in December.
On the second, fourth, and six years, workers would get 3% lump sum payments. Upon ratification of the contract, workers would receive a $8,500 bonus.
Health care
There would be no changes in the cost of health insurance under the new agreement. Workers would pay $0 in premiums, have no deductibles or coinsurance, and no changes in co-pays.
Union members would receive two weeks of fully-paid parental leave. The insurance would also cover autism care and vision costs, including exams, frames, and lenses.
New hires would receive health care coverage after 30 days of employment on the first of the following month.
Retirement
Current and future union workers would choose between the traditional-plus and choice-plus retirement plans.
The traditional-plus plan allows employees to have a defined benefits pension, an increased multiplier for monthly pension for each year of service and fully own their pension after three years of service. The traditional-plus plan’s post-retirement health care fund offers cash balance savings. There will also be $2,000 of seed money per year of service.
The choice-plus plan includes a dollar for dollar 401(k) match up to 6% for 2022, then $0.70-$1 match for each year after. The specific match amount would be determined based on company profits. The company will also contribute 5% of employees’ annual wages to their 401(k).
The retirement bonus for both plans would total $37,500 for 10-24 years of service and $50,000 for 25 years or more.

WTF is autism care?

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Most factory jobs around here are non union and don't pay a middle class income nor pensions or free health insurance. The few that do are union.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by OldHat

And as usual the resident jack-asses start pointing the finger and shouting "commie"...too stupid to realize it is mostly working men trying to do for their families.

In the US the unions vote democrat overwhelmingly.

Local 798 openly supported Trump

sure they did

Dipsh!t,When Danny Hendrix 798 Business Manger was on Fox News he wore a Trump hat

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by OldHat

In the US the unions vote democrat overwhelmingly.

Local 798 openly supported Trump

sure they did

Dipsh!t,When Danny Hendrix 798 Business Manger was on Fox News he wore a Trump hat

ribka is one stupid mötherfücker who doesnt know jack!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well...at least he wore a hat!

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like if folks want to work, they surely can.
Not happy with the compensation? Feel free to find another employer.
Why is this even an issue?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hahaha!

And he voted. The international cant take that away from you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

Unions are there for the working man.

I almost typed that all the way out without laughing.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

And companies are? PFFTT!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't be so sure the members rejected that contract. Their locals board did the negotiating and I'll bet the terms haven't been formally presented to the membership.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

Yup. Better to halt production and then either downsize or go bankrupt so the commie fugks can have autism care, paternal leave, and free healthcare to the grave.

Makes total sense, especially while they donate hugely to elect politicians who do not represent their members’ positions.

Makes total sense man.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hahaha!

Don’t be critical Jim.

Yup. Better to halt production and then either downsize or go bankrupt so the commie fugks can have autism care, paternal leave, and free healthcare to the grave.

Makes total sense, especially while they donate hugely to elect politicians who do not represent their members’ positions.

Makes total sense man.

And when the next group of employees exercise their right to organize??? Ya, total sense.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.