Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You know it had to be another Gene, that was Gene5. Our Gene is , Gene1

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are right that I did not get the 1903. I did bid on the 1920/26 but let it go and am now thinking I let it go way to low and should have gone much higher, I had the gun as just a stock, stripped barreled receiver, and a bag of parts in my basement for a couple years, it looks much better now that it did as a bag of parts! I would like to know the reaction of the new owner if he ever pulls the butt plate and finds my note documenting what was done to it. When I returned it to John it was the last time we got together and talked.

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gene, if you ever want to borrow the 20/26 just give a yell. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think we should just post a list of who got what, and make it easy on every one.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I think we should just post a list of who got what, and make it easy on every one.

Becoming clearer by the minute... wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Pretty sure only a few here know me, but it was a privilege to participate in Mr. Wright’s auction. There was some disagreement about which military related items to chase, but after the first auction click war, we realized the chances of acquisition were slim and instead decided to pursue other items as an opportunity to learn. Even then, we didn’t get everything we wanted. Regardless, we are honored to acquire things from a known and respected Savage collector.

I’ve dabbled in Savage’s for a few years, but not seriously. It is Mr. Wright’s collection, the book by David Royal and this forum which has added another item to the “list”.

If anyone knows the family, please thank them for allowing others to acquire items from Mr Wright’s collection. They, and more importantly his memory will be preserved the best we can.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I mentioned this shortly after John died. I spent a few days at his farm photographing his engraved and special feature 99's for my new book on those kind of rifles. I dedicated the new book to him when the manuscript came back for some revisions.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Whoa. Did not know the book author is a member here. Good to know.

Have seen a few of the engraved model for sale at RIA, but know little about them other than super big bucks…like this one: https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/3127

Looking forward to your next book on engraved model 1899/99’s.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure there's any other 1899 like that 1899..

[Linked Image from cdn.rockislandauction.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by carbinecol
Whoa. Did not know the book author is a member here. Good to know.

Have seen a few of the engraved model for sale at RIA, but know little about them other than super big bucks…like this one: https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/3127

Looking forward to your next book on engraved model 1899/99’s.

David, do we know where the Nash rifle is? And do you have pics for the engraving book? If not, the RIA photos are pretty good and would suffice with permission.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Happened to be watching the day it was sold. Knew a little about 1899's but didn't recognize it at first. What a fantastic piece of art. I know little is known about Enoch Tue, but engraving has always fascinated me in terms of the engraver, aka artist. The skill, the time it took to learn, the patience, the pressure and hopefully a positive outcome.

All done by hand. Give me simple hand done checkering on a Winchester pre-64 model 70 or Savage any day vs a machine. I think the name for later model 99 engraving is acid etching, but could be wrong.

I've always wondered why so little is known about someone who did such fantastic engraving work like Enoch Tue. At least now, after watching the RIA video, I know how to correctly pronounce his name.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I think this group knows more about Tue than you might think....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I know little is known about Enoch Tue, but engraving has always fascinated me in terms of the engraver, aka artist. I know how to correctly pronounce his name.

Yes the curator pronounced the name Tue (Tew) correctly. Substantiated by Tue family in the U.K. recently.
And we do know quite a bit about the life and times of Enoch Tue as well as some Tue family members during his time at Savage Arms. Thanks to members here, Tue's in the U.K. & U.S.A.
Here is a sample. Additional info and additional Savage engraver biographies will be included in David's Savage Engraving Book.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.proxibid.com/Antiques-a...854?p=2&sort=0&srchloc=true#cnTb

Still a few nice fish in this auction.

Couple of throw backs. Couple of keepers and even a couple of lunkers.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
@Southern_WI_Savage: Appreciate the additional information. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the story in David’s book. Need to order the pocket reference as well. Would make a great Christmas present.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Anybody missing a factory letter from the second auction?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anybody missing a factory letter from the second auction?

For what? Serial number and firearm description may help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know one guy that didn’t get his, but he’s since gotten another from Cody.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
1899-B in .38-55.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.