Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Pabst
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
[quote=Llama_Bob]
What am I going to do with all that extra performance in the Woods? 100 yards is a long shot for me. If I have to go 150 I feel like some kind of sniper or something

Eastern hunting is an unconstrained problem - shooting dog-sized deer at living room distances. Use whatever the hell you like.

Cartridge performance always has has and always will be driven by the western hunter.

How do western bow hunters make those gosh darned 600 yard shots? Don't tell me there's a 300wsm equivalent for the bowhunter and none of us have known about it until now.

There's no way he has a clue about bowhunting. Dude doesn't sound like he has a prayer of getting within 300 yards of a game animal much less 30

I thought maybe he didn't realize game can be taken at short range in the west if the hunter is of that mind.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Llama_Bob]
What am I going to do with all that extra performance in the Woods? 100 yards is a long shot for me. If I have to go 150 I feel like some kind of sniper or something

Eastern hunting is an unconstrained problem - shooting dog-sized deer at living room distances. Use whatever the hell you like.

Cartridge performance always has has and always will be driven by the western hunter.

How do western bow hunters make those gosh darned 600 yard shots? Don't tell me there's a 300wsm equivalent for the bowhunter and none of us have known about it until now.

There's no way he has a clue about bowhunting. Dude doesn't sound like he has a prayer of getting within 300 yards of a game animal much less 30

I thought maybe he didn't realize game can be taken at short range in the west if the hunter is of that mind.

Well the hunter also has to be of that ability. I think LB needs everything that magnum has to offer

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

See, this is the sort of moron comment that makes this board so entertaining. You do realize that a bow huner calling during the rut has a completely different situation than a rifle hunter overlooking hundreds of yards of terrain that, at least on public land, may very well contain 0 to 1 elk?

Actually, what with you being a moron I bet you don't realize that laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 11/09/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

How do western bow hunters make those gosh darned 600 yard shots? Don't tell me there's a 300wsm equivalent for the bowhunter and none of us have known about it until now

Wind. Wind is always blowing and carries the arrow well. The trick is to get into shooting position before they smell ya.

They don't have dialing pins yet so this is where instinctive shooting really comes into play.............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=Llama_Bob]

Looks like llama deuce knows just as much about eastern deer hunting as he does about rifles.....

"everything there is"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I’ve always been of the belief that a guy who may only get a few days maybe in his lifetime to hunt elk or moose or whatever should use every advantage he can to have a successful hunt.
The guy who lives out there and can hunt about anytime and knows the area has that distinct advance. My 300 wm does not put me at a disadvantage. Edk

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have never used the .257 Roberts but if it performs anything like the 25/06 , it is a keeper.
I went through a period in the 80's that I put my 25/06 to regular use and killed bull elk and moose with it and it worked well with Nosler Partitions.
If the .257 Roberts works like a slightly reduced 25/06 it would make a hunter quite happy.
I carried the model 700 around alot then and on many sheep hunts, my only issue was the barrel length....24" is just to long in a repeater.
Decades later, after trying most everything out there, I am back to the 30/06 and it's get.
Medium cartridge length, tapering shoulder, long necked rounds fit the bill.
Just need to see past all the marketing hype , the smoke and mirrors that the industry put out there.
Cheers

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where is Bricktop when you need him??????

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ERK
I’ve always been of the belief that a guy who may only get a few days maybe in his lifetime to hunt elk or moose or whatever should use every advantage he can to have a successful hunt.
The guy who lives out there and can hunt about anytime and knows the area has that distinct advance. My 300 wm does not put me at a disadvantage. Edk

Yup - when you take into consideration that western public land hunts have a success rate in the low single digit percent range in many states, if you want to be one of the lucky few you do everything you can. Say a bull elk steps out at 550 yards in a clearing across the valley. There are 10+ other hunters in the same valley - whoever shoots it first gets it. Now, sure, you can plan a 2 hour stalk over mountainous terrain to get to the location where one of your fellow hunters already shot it. Or if you have the right rifle, cartridge, and bullet you can shoot it and be the one eating backstrap that night. It's up to you which of those hunters you want to be. But if you want to be the one to ethically take that shot, the .30-06 is useless garbage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ERK

Yup - when you take into consideration that western public land hunts have a success rate in the low single digit percent range in many states, if you want to be one of the lucky few you do everything you can. Say a bull elk steps out at 550 yards in a clearing across the valley. There are 10+ other hunters in the same valley - whoever shoots it first gets it. Now, sure, you can plan a 2 hour stalk over mountainous terrain to get to the location where one of your fellow hunters already shot it. Or if you have the right rifle, cartridge, and bullet you can shoot it and be the one eating backstrap that night. It's up to you which of those hunters you want to be. But if you want to be the one to ethically take that shot, the .30-06 is useless garbage.

The answer here is not the 300 WSM. The answer is, find a place to hunt where less than 10 hunters see the same bull and go after it.

Not that it ever really happened to you.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

The answer here is not the 300 WSM. The answer is, find a place to hunt where less than 10 hunters see the same bull and go after it.

Ahh, now you're talking - the .30-06 is the cartridge that makes you play thousands in trespass fees to do what others do for free laugh

Additional reach, terminal capability, and rifle lightness are the keys to a good cartridge. That's obvious to anyone but a few stupid morons on this thread. The .30-06 is an abject failure at reach and lightness and a well below average cartridge.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, wrong again bob. I've never had the privilege of hunting elk on private land or payed trespass fees. But I have hunted places where I didn't see anyone other than those in my party for days on end, much less had 10 people gunning for the same animal. Never heard of anyone else in that situation either. In fact, it's been my experience that in places where 10 different hunters could see the same animal and have a shot at it, the elk aren't there.

All it takes is getting a few miles from motorized access, and all that takes is two legs and a backpack. Or better yet, horses.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You really are a blithering idiot, aren't you?

Since you live in Colorado, let's look at the unit where the most bulls are taken in 2nd Rifle - GMU 4
- 280,000 acres
- 134,000 public acres
- 1,635 hunters in 2nd Rifle (nearly all on public land)

Now that means if we spread the hunters perfectly evenly, each one would only be hunting 82 acres and they'd be about 620 yards apart on a grid. But the reality is they're much more concentrated than that because much of the terrain is inaccessible - too steep to stand on, deadfall etc. So in reality even if you spread the hunters out a much as possible, you'd have multiple hunters within rifle shot rage of you at all times. Similarly, any time an elk steps out there will be multiple hunters within rifle range. Now they may not have line of sight depending on terrain, but there ARE that many hunters in the woods.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Talk about your blithering idiots! Llama bob takes the cake. What a douche!

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You really are a blithering idiot, aren't you?

Since you live in Colorado, let's look at the unit where the most bulls are taken in 2nd Rifle - GMU 4
- 280,000 acres
- 134,000 public acres
- 1,635 hunters in 2nd Rifle (nearly all on public land)

Now that means if we spread the hunters perfectly evenly, each one would only be hunting 82 acres and they'd be about 620 yards apart on a grid. But the reality is they're much more concentrated than that because much of the terrain is inaccessible - too steep to stand on, deadfall etc. So in reality even if you spread the hunters out a much as possible, you'd have multiple hunters within rifle shot rage of you at all times. Similarly, any time an elk steps out there will be multiple hunters within rifle range. Now they may not have line of sight depending on terrain, but there ARE that many hunters in the woods.

LOL, what a load of horseshit. "Llama deuce."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is there 1,635 hunters per 134,000 public acres at every point in time that hunting is available on that unit?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No. Ninety percent of 'em including llama deuce are within a mile of the truck, that's why he thinks it's crowded.

Not to mention he arbitrarily decided no one hunts private land.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Is there 1,635 hunters per 134,000 public acres at every point in time that hunting is available on that unit?

Give or take, yes. Some of them pack it in before the season ends or get an elk and go home, but good luck hunting the back half of that season on public land.

I love how the facts here so clearly prove smokepole is a moron laugh

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What percentage of hunters are there the full season? What would be incorrect about an assumption that there would be more hunters near their vehicles rather than evenly spread throughout the unit?

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/11/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=Llama_Bob]

LOL, hey bob, ever heard of beanfield rifles? Kenny Jarrett?

Ever weighed a buck from soy bean/peanut country back east?

You're not bright enough to know what you don't know.

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.