Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I've never had a bang- flop with a Barnes bullet. Seems to take them a while to bleed. Lots of bang- flops with Berger. That said, they have their place.

Bergers blow up - that's what they do. If you get lucky, they blow up in such a way the animal goes down fast. If you get unlucky, they blow up in such a way you never see the animal again.

Is your hunting plan to depend on luck?

Latest Berger victim, a 168 VLD from a .280 Ackley a few days ago, with exit showing. Definitely a blow-up...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
But for the prescribed use, the Burger is on the bottom of my list of bullets I'd CHOOSE to hunt with. Just because they kill doesn't mean they do it better than other bullets.

They do if they cut the wind better and shoot more precisely, and subsequently hit the right spot, while the other bullet does not. Of course that's not often the deciding factor between success and failure, but when it matters, it matters.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
…. nevermind, went off on a tangent.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have another thought for my 257 Weatherby mag. i am going to try some Hammer 115 gr. 25 caliber bullets , should get some better ballistics too ? And at the same time get a good exit hole on a bigger animal too ? i did just order some Hammer bullets and the price is very reasonable and Hammer had what i needed in stock too. i went with 103 gr. 25 caliber because our rifles are 1-10 twist.

Last edited by pete53; 11/09/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve never shot a Berger at an animal. I did use the older Nosler Ballistic Tip 150’s in my 7mm RM to kill a few elk & then hit a decent 5x6 broadside at 250 & had the bullet blow up on the ribs with a palm sized entry wound. Luckily lots of snow & the shrapnel in his lung killed him after 600 yards. Without snow no sure thing recovery.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Using that Berger bullet, you must have had a "lucky" one, that didn`t blow up. I`ve had a few lucky ones myself.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Using that Berger bullet, you must have had a "lucky" one, that didn`t blow up. I`ve had a few lucky ones myself.

That must be it...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice, congrats.

Originally Posted by GregW
I've never had a bang- flop with a Barnes bullet. Seems to take them a while to bleed. Lots of bang- flops with Berger. That said, they have their place.

Bergers blow up - that's what they do. If you get lucky, they blow up in such a way the animal goes down fast. If you get unlucky, they blow up in such a way you never see the animal again.

Latest Berger victim, a 168 VLD from a .280 Ackley a few days ago, with exit showing. Definitely a blow-up...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Berger bullets shot out of a smaller slower cartridge might work just fine or used only at longer ranges ,maybe 300 yards and longer distances ? but out of my rifles at under 200 yards i no longer will use Berger bullets on Minnesota whitetail bucks but may use them out west on mule deer bucks ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All you Berger naysayers I hope dont buy them so maybe the 6.5 140's and 30 cal 215's will become available again
someday.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
But for the prescribed use, the Burger is on the bottom of my list of bullets I'd CHOOSE to hunt with. Just because they kill doesn't mean they do it better than other bullets.

They do if they cut the wind better and shoot more precisely, and subsequently hit the right spot

The problem is they don't. There is no particular advantage to the Berger bullets in terms of BC vs. the Terminal Ascent. The Berger has the worst terminal performance in the business, worse even than the SMK (which is really pushing the bottom of the barrel). The TA has the best.

It's an EASY decision.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

They do if they cut the wind better and shoot more precisely, and subsequently hit the right spot

The problem is they don't. There is no particular advantage to the Berger bullets in terms of BC vs. the Terminal Ascent. The Berger has the worst terminal performance in the business, worse even than the SMK (which is really pushing the bottom of the barrel). The TA has the best.

It's an EASY decision.

Yep BERGER!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hopefully the 210’s behave much better than the ones I witnessed. Guess you could be a dummy and drill the tips out. 😂

I know the 6.5 140’s are the shizzle outta 6.5/06 ai

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only used Bergers, Scenars and round lead balls the last 12 or so years. There's been no survivors.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pards buck from this mornin, 6.5/284, 300 ish yards, behind the on shoulder, through the off shoulder right on through. 140 vld.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Pards buck from this mornin, 6.5/284, 300 ish yards, behind the on shoulder, through the off shoulder right on through. 140 vld.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice! Bergers just kill Jud.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I've killed way too many animals with them to say they " blow up".
They have such a sharp meplat that they typically penetrate well into vitals before "blowing up".
I've never seen one blow up on the surface. I have seen it with Amax, Sierra match kings and a few others.

If you're hunting timber with Bergers you're using the wrong bullet. Better bullets for saving meat. If you want to swat one down, the Bergers are very reliable at this.

Like I've said, I've killed/ seen killed way too many head to think otherwise.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I've killed way too many animals with them to say they " blow up".
They have such a sharp meplat that they typically penetrate well into vitals before "blowing up".
I've never seen one blow up on the surface. I have seen it with Amax, Sierra match kings and a few others.

If you're hunting timber with Bergers you're using the wrong bullet. Better bullets for saving meat. If you want to swat one down, the Bergers are very reliable at this.

Like I've said, I've killed/ seen killed way too many head to think otherwise.

Boom!!! THIS^^^

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Same here, Dennis.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I shot a 5x5 bull yesterday just under 400 yards with a Berger 215g hybrid target MV 2800 fps from my 300 wsm. Hit him in the base of the neck just barely in front of the leg. He was on his feet about 5 seconds and then fell down. He was still alive when I got to him so I put another mid neck. I didn't really do much of an autopsy but it worked. I've shot 3 or 4 bucks, two bulls, and an antelope with that combo and this is the first time I needed a finishing shot.

Bb

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.