Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Being there the full season is irrelevant. Any elk are long gone to private land by the back half of the season. If your brilliant plan is to wait until all the elk too stupid to go private have been shot, and then do your hunting, well, good luck laugh

The reason the hunters are evenly spread is that exactly 0 acres of the unit are wilderness area, and the entire place is honecombed with roads. Talking about being miles from the road is a laugher - There may be one place in the unit that you can get more than a mile from the nearest road (Baldy Peak area) and that's covered in easy to hike trails. Most of those are unofficial and probably aren't even posted no motorcycles.

If you can see the elk, 7 other people can too. Do you want to shoot the elk, or do you want to stalk to where someone better equipped than you shot it so you can admire their elk?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

If you can see the elk, 7 other people can too.

Must be why no one here but you is familiar with the area.

Talking about being miles from the road is a laugher

Not nearly as laughable as assuming no one in the entire unit hunts on private land. Isn't that where you just said all the elk go, LOL?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

Not nearly as laughable as assuming no one in the entire unit hunts on private land. Isn't that where you just said all the elk go, LOL?

I love how you can't even keep straight in what way you're wrong. You really are excellent entertainment - keep dancing clown laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What are you, a Larry Root wannabe?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somebody please toss a black rubber cock so we can watch Llama_Bob play fetch

Last edited by moosemike; 11/11/21.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Being there the full season is not irrelevant, for the below calculations to be valid, all those 1,635 hunters must be there all of the available time, or alternatively, all hunters must be there at the same time:

Since you live in Colorado, let's look at the unit where the most bulls are taken in 2nd Rifle - GMU 4
- 280,000 acres
- 134,000 public acres
- 1,635 hunters in 2nd Rifle (nearly all on public land)

Now that means if we spread the hunters perfectly evenly, each one would only be hunting 82 acres and they'd be about 620 yards apart on a grid

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Everyone hunts the start of the season. The back half of the season (it's 9 days) lots of people go home but it doesn't matter. Yes hunting pressure is lower those later days, but there's no elk on public land by that point so what rifle you choose for your armed hiking really doesn't matter.

The calculations are correct for the portion of the season in which public land elk are taken in any numbers.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 11/11/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Everyone hunts the start of the season. The back half of the season (it's 9 days) lots of people go home but it doesn't matter. Yes hunting pressure is lower those later days, but there's no elk on public land by that point so what rifle you choose for your armed hiking really doesn't matter.

The calculations are correct for the portion of the season in which public land elk are taken in any numbers.

It's an exercise in ant-f*cking, but since you're so proud of your calculations, no they're not correct. You eliminated all private land, which is more than half the land in the unit.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

It's an exercise in ant-f*cking, but since you're so proud of your calculations, no they're not correct. You eliminated all private land, which is more than half the land in the unit.

But almost none of the hunters. The difference between a $57 OTC elk tag and a $1000+ trespass fee ensures that.

Roughly 7-8% of the hunters in that unit intentionally/legally hunt private land (literal trespassing is a separate issue). About 90% of them succeed. The remaining 90+% hunt public land, and usually slightly less than 5% of them succeed, because of the high hunter density already discussed. Those that do succeed do so because they got the elk down before all the other hunters around them saw it. That's why being able to shoot when you see the elk at whatever distance it may be is important. Stalking is effectively useless.

So yes, the calculations are correct. And you're still flat out stupid.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Please cite the source for your figures on the number of private land hunters.

And no, your numbers aren't correct. You eliminated all private land hunters, so even if your "roughly 7-8%" is correct you're off by that amount.

I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

Also, your comparison of the $57 tag to the trespass fee eliminates all non-resident hunters, so that's bullsh*t too.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Non-resident hunters usually draw first rifle and especially first rifle PLO (3/4 of PLO tags in unit 4 are non-resident) . 2nd rifle is OTC and mostly resident, which is where the cost difference comes in. Also, I know you're all excited about private land, but I didn't include PLO tags, just general tags. While some of those are used on private land, it's very few. The difference in success rates between PLO and the rifle seasons tells you the hunters are not hunting private land.

To help you understand, 100% of those who attempt to draw unit 4 for private land get it. No out of state get 1st rifle public without 1 PP. So if you were going to hunt private land you'd be insane not the draw a PLO tag unless you believe there will be no animals on the land in 1st rifle or your're somehow constrained to a later hunt date.

I know you're going to keep up your clown dance though, which is the best part laugh I'll keep being right, and you'll keep being stupid and on we go...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, let me translate: "I pulled the numbers outta my ass but I'll never admit it."

Llama deuce = Christmas turkey. "Both are roughly the same in their sh*t to volume ratio."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Llamaboy is kinda like a mellowed out BigStick without the knowledge or experience.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Wow! All I wanted to do was show a little praise for a nice medium size cartridge. It has turned out to be the thread of unintended consequences.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Desertranger
Wow! All I wanted to do was show a little praise for a nice medium size cartridge. It has turned out to be the thread of unintended consequences.

No worries. Of the few sensible posts there were, did you get what you hoped for? Unfortunately, the board has been off for awhile.

Just smile and do not look upon this thread again. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Eh. All these kids with their new-fangled cartridges. So what does that there 257 Ned do that the 250 Savage hasn't done all these years? Tell me that sonny!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Welcome to twentyfourhourdysfunctionalcampfiredotcom.

For a deer-etc. cartridge I just love the Roberts. I've had a number of them going back over 30 years.

My favorite, and current, is this Kimber:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry that your thread was torpedoed by an attention-hungry troll. It happens, not infrequently.

Best just to ignore. BTW I concur with your opinion of the Roberts!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Flintlocke recently much summed it up in a post on Hunter's Campfire:

"On any shooting forum, once Llama Bob has given his verdict...there is no room for any more discussion. Done."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A cleaned up Bricktop….

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.