Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I’m asking that question cause folks in my area in Texas preferred Winchester and Marlin lever actions. I never saw one growing up. Never saw one, never have handled one or shot one. Noticed they are very popular among lots of CF members. Haven’t researched the 99; but I’m looking forward to reading your first-hand experience with your rifle & caliber. Thanks!

Smith and Wessons are Thoroughbreds; Rugers are Clydesdales —John Taffin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have a fantastic feel to them. At least the older rotary mag models do. Their looks are an acquired taste.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

They use cartridges with pointy bullets, they carry very well, plus they have a cool factor.

IMO, their only shortcoming is the trigger. Mine absolutely sucks. But I still love the rifles.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Their looks are an acquired taste.
Must be. I think they're uglier than homemade soap.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ruger4Life
I’m asking that question cause folks in my area in Texas preferred Winchester and Marlin lever actions. I never saw one growing up. Never saw one, never have handled one or shot one. Noticed they are very popular among lots of CF members. Haven’t researched the 99; but I’m looking forward to reading your first-hand experience with your rifle & caliber. Thanks!
They ain't so popular. If they were they'd still be making them. I grew up deer hunting the Catskills. Saw plenty of Winchester and Marlin levers as well as Remington 760's and 742's in the hands of Catskill deer hunters but never a Savage 99.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How much time you got?

Started out with a 99 in 308 but didn't like it so sold it to a good friend that still has it after almost 40 years. Ex FIL got me hooked on the 375 Win cartridge so when I saw a 99 in 375 at a gunshow I hawked the farm to get it. Killed blacktail and bear with it for decades. But, a 375 isn't flat shooting so I started experimenting with the other cartridges available in the 99. Even tried some wildcats. Today I use the 284's and 358's the most. With good handloads a Savage 99 will shoot less than an inch at a hundred. I've killed game from a few feet to 600 yards. They just flat work.

LOL
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I agree as to the style being an acquired taste. I've always liked and used levers, being a lefty, but didn't get into them until about 5 years ago because they just looked ugly to me. I currently own 3 of them, and the styling has grown on me a bit. I now refer to them as the prettiest ugly rifle ever made.

They handle well, one handed carry extremely well, and having a lot more bullet choices for handloading is a perk over a tube fed lever. Being chambered in stuff a peppier than 30-30 class cartridges is a plus, too, although I personally prefer them in the lighter stuff. They knock the stuffing out of me in .308, but 300 Savage isn't too bad, and 250 and 303 Savage are an absolute blast to shoot.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Blackheart
They ain't so popular. If they were they'd still be making them. I grew up deer hunting the Catskills. Saw plenty of Winchester and Marlin levers as well as Remington 760's and 742's in the hands of Catskill deer hunters but never a Savage 99.

I've been hunting the Catskills since the late '60s and have seen all the rifles mentioned, plus an equal amount of 99s. Guess it just depends on what camps you hunted out of.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

I've been hunting the Catskills since the late '60s and have seen all the rifles mentioned, plus an equal amount of 99s. Guess it just depends on what camps you hunted out of.
Whereabouts ? I started in 1977. Never hunted out of a camp. I was born and raised here in Delaware County. Hunted with lots of folks, friends and family plus belonged to two different local sportsmans clubs. Nobody had a Savage 99. In fact, in all these years I only remember ever seeing one for sale in a local gun shop. In contrast, you couldn't swing a dead cat in the woods back in the 70's without hitting somebody toting a Winchester or Marlin lever or a Remington 760. Now most are toting a scoped bolt action but many hunted on their feet back then while today they mostly sit on their ass in a stand all day..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think there is a single answer to be made to your question.

I will say the 99 was popular in my family's Whitetail deer camp, but not so much in some other camps I hung out in. Most of the members in my camp where farmers and in most cases owned only one deer rifle. Early on they packed Winchester and Marlin lever actions then when they began traveling out west to hunt they found their cartridges were not the best for that geography. Savage 99s in 250-3000 and 300 Savage were the popular replacement.

My first deer rifle was a well used 99 EG "tomato stake" 250-3000. It had a Lyman 57 SA on it and I killed a lot of deer and antelope with it. It became a safe queen when I started buying bolt-actions. Fast forward a few years to a 99-A 250-3000 I bought from the widow of gun shop owner. It remains my favorite Whitetail deer rifle. Easy to carry, fast to the shoulder and target acquisition, quick 2nd shot if needed, perfect fit for me.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Whereabouts ? I started in 1977. Never hunted out of a camp. I was born and raised here in Delaware County. Hunted with lots of folks, friends and family plus belonged to two different local sportsmans clubs. Nobody had a Savage 99. In fact, in all these years I only remember ever seeing one for sale in a local gun shop. In contrast, you couldn't swing a dead cat in the woods back in the 70's without hitting somebody toting a Winchester or Marlin lever or a Remington 760. Now most are toting a scoped bolt action but many hunted on their feet back then while today they mostly sit on their ass in a stand all day..

All over the Catskills, but mostly, way back on Flugertown Rd., near Willowemoc. Also, many years near Holiday Brook, north of Roscoe and Cat Hollow. These days its mostly East Branch, at my club/camp, and Walton area. We've been there since '85. Some of the older members are still toting their 99s. I'll be leaving Tuesday from Florida and heading there for the entire rifle season. I'll be carrying either of two 99s, in 250 Sav or 300 Sav. I'll also alternate taking my dad's 5 diamond 760 in 35 Rem and Gramp's 5 diamond in 300 Sav. for a few walks as an homage to them. Where in Delaware county are you?

EDIT I'm stillhunting (pun intended) on my feet. It's how I was taught, and it's the only way to hunt for me. Even when I used to bow hunt, I stillhunted. In the '80s I bought a Loggy Bayou climber and sat in it 1 afternoon. That night I gave it to my buddy, and I've been back on the ground ever since.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 11/12/21.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

All over the Catskills, but mostly, way back on Flugertown Rd., near Willowemoc. Also, many years near Holiday Brook, north of Roscoe and Cat Hollow. These days its mostly East Branch, at my club/camp, and Walton area. We've been there since '85. Some of the older members are still toting their 99s. I'll be leaving Tuesday from Florida and heading there for the entire rifle season. I'll be carrying either of two 99s, in 250 Sav or 300 Sav. I'll also alternate taking my dad's 5 diamond 760 in 35 Rem and Gramp's 5 diamond in 300 Sav. for a few walks as an homage to them. Where in Delaware county are you?

EDIT I'm stillhunting (pun intended) on my feet. It's how I was taught, and it's the only way to hunt for me. Even when I used to bow hunt, I stillhunted. In the '80s I bought a Loggy Bayou climber and sat in it 1 afternoon. That night I gave it to my buddy, and I've been back on the ground ever since.
I grew up near Trout Creek. Mostly hunted near there and Deposit, Walton, Downsville, Bovina, Andes. I lived in Walton for several years after graduation. I think it was Giffords gun shop in Walton where I saw a 99 for sale once. I started with a model 94 .30-30, then got a 336 .30-30, a 336 .35 Rem. then a 760 carbine in .30-06. After playing with a bunch of bolt, pump and lever actions in various calibers, I'm back to mostly using a scoped 336 .30-30 or a receiver sighted '94 .30-30. I still don't like hunting out of a stand.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
The 99s weren't real prevalent in northern MN when I was growing up, but I wouldn't call them rare in the area, either. I only knew a couple of people who hunted with them, but there were always a few floating around on the used racks in gun and pawn shops. I wish I had been into them back then, when they were a lot cheaper to acquire than they are now.

Tons of Winchester and Marlin levers up there, and then assorted bolts and the occasional H&R single shot for good measure. I picked up a Rem 7600 pump and hunted a few seasons with it, and I was the only one of anyone I knew or hunted with running a pump at the time. Autoloaders were pretty much nil, aside from coming across an old Rem 742 or Model 8/81 once in a blue moon.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 1959 EG, in 308. Looks elegant to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder...my grandfather had a 300 EG. I was always told that the rich guys shot 99's. Don't know how true that was. My grandfather was rich when he bought it. I also think a lot of guys just like a lever with a hammer. A cowboy gun. My 308 will consistently group under an inch at 100, but the cold barrel first shot is always 1.5" high. The trigger is pretty good. A tad heavy, but real good feel.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I too grew up in NY and saw a lot of 99's, including mine and dad's. To be fair, we didn't hunt with, nor hang out with, broke dicks, so that may explain it

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

I too grew up in NY and saw a lot of 99's, including mine and dad's. To be fair, we didn't hunt with, nor hang out with, broke dicks, so that may explain it
The guys I hunted with this week are a retired school teacher and a retired school administrator. I have hunted with those same guys for 40 years. We hunted on the administrators 160 acres. I killed a buck and a doe so am probably two ahead of you for the season. I also am friends with and hunt on the land of the District attorney of a neighboring County. In short, the people I know and hunt with are undoubtedly of a higher class than you and the trash you hang out with. They do have good taste though, so naturally they avoid hunting with ugly guns.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

The guys I hunted with this week are a retired school teacher and a retired school administrator. I have hunted with those same guys for 40 years. We hunted on the administrators 160 acres. I killed a buck and a doe so am probably two ahead of you for the season. I also am friends with and hunt on the land of the District attorney of a neighboring County. In short, the people I know and hunt with are undoubtedly of a higher class than you and the trash you hang out with. They do have good taste though, so naturally they avoid hunting with ugly guns.

Right, broke dick. That includes those sucking off the government tit. Thank you for proving my point

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Right, broke dick. That includes those sucking off the government tit. Thank you for proving my point
So you've killed no deer yet this season. What a surprise. Loser.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

‘So popular’ is subjective

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by roundoak
I don't think there is a single answer to be made to your question.

I will say the 99 was popular in my family's Whitetail deer camp, but not so much in some other camps I hung out in. Most of the members in my camp where farmers and in most cases owned only one deer rifle. Early on they packed Winchester and Marlin lever actions then when they began traveling out west to hunt they found their cartridges were not the best for that geography. Savage 99s in 250-3000 and 300 Savage were the popular replacement.

My first deer rifle was a well used 99 EG "tomato stake" 250-3000. It had a Lyman 57 SA on it and I killed a lot of deer and antelope with it. It became a safe queen when I started buying bolt-actions. Fast forward a few years to a 99-A 250-3000 I bought from the widow of gun shop owner. It remains my favorite Whitetail deer rifle. Easy to carry, fast to the shoulder and target acquisition, quick 2nd shot if needed, perfect fit for me.

roundoak, That's a beautiful 99A you have, and in 250 Sav no less. That Leupold 1.5-5 or 1-4 you have on it is the perfect optic for it. I prefer mine open sighted. To each, his own...but I've always found Savage 99s to be beautiful rifles. Not that Marlins and Winchesters aren't. My favorites are the '50s 99Fs, especially with a fold down rear sight. I can close my eyes and snap that gun to my shoulder, and when I open my eyes, the front sight is perfectly buried in the rear. It's great for me while stillhunting.

I belong to the Savage Collectors Group on here and on FB. Every year we have a 3 day rendezvous in Pa. In the 3 years that I've attended I've shot, and seen shot, probably close to 200 1899/99s. I don't recall a single one that wasn't capable of 1'' at 100.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 11/12/21.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Gun season has yet to begin, but you are what you are.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Gun season has yet to begin, but you are what you are.
My two were brought to bag with arrows. And you're right about one thing. YOU are what YOU are. Loser.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester 88's are handsomer

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Seems like a lot of CF ‘99 enthusiasts are from the NE and Midwestern states. It’s interesting how the culture and the people you grew up with influences your tastes. Sounds like the ‘99 is pretty much inherently accurate in most calibers. I’ve seen some beautiful pics of ‘em on this forum!
It seems like Bill Ruger totally copied the design for his popular ‘96 lever action. Matter of fact, if you can find one, they are about as pricey as some ‘99’s! What are your thoughts on the similarities?
Here in My area of Texas, we like revolvers, Marlin and Winchester levers, and bolt actions.

I appreciate the input men!

Last edited by Ruger4Life; 11/12/21. Reason: Add

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I had a 96/22 and a 96/44. The 22 was garbage, sent it back to Ruger 3 times for warranty repairs in the first year or so I had it.

The 96/44 was a decent little rifle. It handled really nicely, and the action was very smooth. The short throw was nice, too. I could run the action without taking my hand off the stock wrist. It wasn't particularly accurate though, and it kicked like a mule hopped up on cocaine compared to any other 44 mag rifle I've ever shot. I did take a few deer with it, but ended up trading it off because I just never could get it to shoot as well as I wanted.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Here in Pennsylvania, I've never seen one in the woods or on the range. Not many for sale either, folk buy them as investments!
I do REALLY like them though. Had 3, 2 .300s and a .30-30. All SPOOKY accurate, reliable and handle WAY better than their looks wold indicate. Triggers are poor compared to a Marlin or Winchester, and the actions not nearly as smooth. The cock on closing messes some folk up a bit. But if you reload, there's no doubt if you have sticky extraction.
Good solid hunting calibers don't hurt either. Their uncommonness compared to Marlins and Winchesters adds to the " cool" factor. They're still actually high tech, even by today's standards. Workmanship and quality of design/ materials are excellent, blows away anything but dedicated custom work today.
I love my muzzleloaders. If there were nothing else a available, I'd be happy.
But I wanted something different. Just for kicks and giggles. Could have bought a Marlin or Winchester. For half the price...
Nope.
I bought a VERY little used 1948 production 99 EG .300 caliber. Points like my finger, spooky accurate. OLD school classy. Nothing like them.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Cool story

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by zcm82
I had a 96/22 and a 96/44. The 22 was garbage, sent it back to Ruger 3 times for warranty repairs in the first year or so I had it.

The 96/44 was a decent little rifle. It handled really nicely, and the action was very smooth. The short throw was nice, too. I could run the action without taking my hand off the stock wrist. It wasn't particularly accurate though, and it kicked like a mule hopped up on cocaine compared to any other 44 mag rifle I've ever shot. I did take a few deer with it, but ended up trading it off because I just never could get it to shoot as well as I wanted.

Spent the afternoon shooting with friends and took along my Ruger 96 in 17 HMR. It is scary accurate but has a heavy trigger. Been wondering if the aftermarket 10/22 trigger group is interchangeable. We were popping spoons we stuck in a crack on a log, and small rocks , then the spoon fragments. The other two guys had never shot one but giggled like little girls when they blew small pieces of things into the forest.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The closest thing to a 99 for practicing is the Marlin 56/57.

LOL
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Knew a lot of hunters back in the 70’s that used 99s to hunt deer in NW PA - ALL of those guys were older hunters. My grandad was one of them and if my grandad had one they had to be cool! I’ve always admired the design and feel of these rifles and did manage to accumulate several over the years (including my grandad’s) - mostly in .250-3000 but have .300s, a .303 and a .32-40.

Personally I think they are way better looking than the crap being offered today - nothing but tools (effective but no soul).

PennDog

p.s. May pick up one this week in .25 Tomcat!

Last edited by PennDog; 11/13/21.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Spent the afternoon shooting with friends and took along my Ruger 96 in 17 HMR. It is scary accurate but has a heavy trigger. Been wondering if the aftermarket 10/22 trigger group is interchangeable. We were popping spoons we stuck in a crack on a log, and small rocks , then the spoon fragments. The other two guys had never shot one but giggled like little girls when they blew small pieces of things into the forest.

I never shot the 22 enough to gauge the accuracy. It spent more time out for service than it did in my possession. Once I did get it back in fully functional order I traded it off pretty much immediately.

The 44 at its best was about a 5MOA rifle, and that was after a lot of load fiddling. A 240 XTP over A#9 was very nasty on the deer I popped with it at 40-60 yards, though.

Last edited by zcm82; 11/13/21. Reason: addition
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 99 is cool with the following:

Case colored lever

Awesome take down

Spring loaded lever

Very robust deep rifeling

Variations of models and calibers

Scopes up real nice.

Down sides are

Tang cracks

Triggers are not that shiny

Not a time lasted treasure like a
Marlin or a

Marlin.

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/15/21.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The 99 is cool with the following:

Case colored lever

Awesome take down

Spring loaded lever

Very robust deep rifeling

Variations of models and calibers

Scopes up real nice.

Down sides are

Tang cracks

Triggers are not that shiny

Not a time lasted treasure like a
Marlin or a

Marlin.

This guy's^^^^ been in the opium again! LOL

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage 99’s would still be in production if they were as cheap to make as Marlins and Winchesters. They were almost always more expensive, many folks that were barely making it could only afford a 94 or 336.

As well, Winchester 94’s and Marlin 336’s aren’t really the same class as the 99. One design that did 22HP to 30-30 to 308 to 7mm08 to 284 to 375 with minimal change? And side ejected from the beginning?

When did the 94 and 336 come out with a chambering that broke the 3000fps mark? Savage 99 did it in 1914.

Nothing wrong with any of them, my dad’s 336 will be the last gun I ever let go of. Appreciate each for what it is. The 94 and 336 for a feel back into the mid-1800’s, the 99 for a gun for the 20th century.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got plenty of good looking, accurate bolt guns with fabulous triggers if I need something that'll reach out. In the woods, where I do most of my hunting, I'll take one of my Winchester or Marlin levers over a 99 {or BLR or Win. 88} any day ending in "y". A proper lever gun needs an exposed hammer and under barrel tubular magazine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you for admitting you need to go to a much later designed bolt rifle in order to meet or surpass the class of rifle that a Savage 99 is.

It's a shame that the Savage 1899 family was never a "proper' lever gun.

[Linked Image from morphyauctions.com]

[Linked Image from dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net]

[Linked Image from rockislandauction.com]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Absolute gun porn...

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't say they're popular. But there is a good amount of 99 fans here on the campfire.

I like them because of an old article I read in PA game news when I was a kid. Always wanted one. I've had a couple .300s and a .375 Winchester. Pretty neat rifles.

Seems like people either love them or hate them. To me, they carry like a dream.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 99 F in 308 and it shoots pointed bullets and groups as well as most bolt actions. What’s not to like. It also balances perfectly in the hand and comes to shoulder easily and perfectly aligns the sights. Oh yeah those sights! It actually has sights so the Hunter gets to choose irons or scope. My son has a 99 EG in 300 savage made in 1934. Still shoots straight and functions flawlessly so let’s add longevity to its attributes. There is a lot to like in those 99’s. Almost forgot to mention I reload so you can customize your load for your game and rifle. Yep I likem

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Accuracy and longevity are definitely both solid attributes for the 99.

5 shot group of 110 Nosler ETips from my 1899A in 303 Savage that was made in 1909, using a Marble's peep sight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A good friend has lived and hunted in Hancock, NY for the last 50 years. The only deer rifle he’s ever owned is a Savage 99 in 308 that he inherited from his father.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fireball2 did you ever shoot deer with those loads? Back in 1984 I bought a 257 m70 fwt and 4 boxes of the +P 100 grain Silvertip loads, I didn't think they were very good on game didn t expand well. Yep they could have changed the bullet multiple times between the ones you showed and the ones I used. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not yet sir.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up in southeast Kansas, last 18 years in southwest Missouri. I've never seen another hunter or friend with a 99. Sisters and I bought my dad a 99R for his 50th birthday present in .250 Savage. I bought an EG in .300 Savage a few years later. I'm always on the lookout for a shooter EG in .250 to complete my 'set' so to speak. Perusing gunshops around here, if I see a single 99 on the gunrack in a year, then that is a lot. I just don't think many around here have them, and those that do, aren't getting rid of them.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Don't see many in this area, either. I've seen 3 in LGS around here since I got into 99s, and 2 of them are now in my possession.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because they are effing cool guns.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Their just so dog gone smooth and reliable!

Like the younger generation says!

MONEY!

Not fancy, but reliable, stylish, and very dependably COOL!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Thank you for admitting you need to go to a much later designed bolt rifle in order to meet or surpass the class of rifle that a Savage 99 is.

You can use a BLR or a Henry long ranger or a Win 88 or a Sako Finnwolf to do the same thing. None are real lever actions but they are all arguably better looking than a 99. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that my Marlin 336 is as accurate or more so than most 99's { averages 3/4" for 3 shots @ 100}. It also has a darn good trigger {after a bit of work by me admittedly}, excellent balance for offhand shooting {95% of my deer are killed that way} and it looks like a lever gun should. I've killed a big pile of deer with it and have no need for anything more where I usually hunt. For the rare occasion when I hunt open ground I'll happily select one of my many scoped bolt guns. I have no room for a homely, quasi lever operated bolt rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can use a BLR or a Henry long ranger or a Win 88 or a Sako Finnwolf to do the same thing. None are real lever actions but they are all arguably better looking than a 99. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that my Marlin 336 is as accurate or more so than most 99's { averages 3/4" for 3 shots @ 100}. It also has a darn good trigger {after a bit of work by me admittedly}, excellent balance for offhand shooting {95% of my deer are killed that way} and it looks like a lever gun should. I've killed a big pile of deer with it and have no need for anything more where I usually hunt. For the rare occasion when I hunt open ground I'll happily select one of my many scoped bolt guns. I have no room for a homely, quasi lever operated bolt rifle.

So much angst over such a beautiful weapon! LOL

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing I forgot to add is with its elliptical spring loaded flat bolt, they rarely reload up past mid book, and can be tough on brass.

The 300 savage in the 1899 light barreled F or E is like blackberries and vanilla ice cream! As in almost a perfect combination. IMO

Never have shot my 303 savages enough to have an opinion. I know in Murray’s book he liked the 303 with the shorter barrel.

The Savage may have gotten a 100 grain pill to 3000 FPS in 1914 …….I think it was a 90 .

But Marlins been sending 405 grains on target for many moons before that!

I like em all.

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/16/21.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

So much angst over such a beautiful weapon! LOL
Well, you know what they say. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder. I've just always thought they were about as homely as they come. Like the 99 is to lever rifles what the Savage 340 or the Axis is to bolt actions. If you need the range of a bolt gun why not use one ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In this life, I only regret 3 things: selling a S&W Model 18, selling a 99EG in 250-3000 because I wanted one with a scope and the one I had did not have one, nor was it drilled for one. I will demur on the 3rd one as my wife may look over my shoulder.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you need the range of a bolt gun why not use one ?

Where I hunt blacktail deer and bear I can go from crawling on my hands and knees through manzanita thickets to shooting 600 or more yards, all in the same day. A Savage lever action is very fast for jump shooting deer and just as capable for long range if you're shooting the right cartridge. A bolt action gives up alot for follow up shots in a jump shooting situation.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Because they are effing cool guns.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Ouch! Those steel buttplates make me wince! I’ve not shot those particular guns, but I have shot some other ones that made me regret it

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If you need the range of a bolt gun why not use one ?
A bolt action gives up alot for follow up shots in a jump shooting situation.
I haven't found that to be the case for me at all. I'm quite well practiced and fast with both. I would say no difference for aimed, repeat fire with one vs the other. Three seasons back was hunting with my brother. Jumped two deer and dropped them both in rapid succession with my Ruger 77 Hawkeye. Later my brother said he didn't think it could possibly have been me that shot. Said he thought it had to have been somebody with a semi auto or pump to shoot that fast. I will take your word for it that you know what works best for you.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah blackheart, I do suck with a bolt gun. Set me down at a bench fine, but hunting not so much. LOL

LOL
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m late in my life to Savage 99’s, Fireball warned me about them when he sold me the first one. The 99’s I have are very accurate, fun to shoot, and look cool. I have a few, 243’s, 284, 300 Savage, 32-40, 308, 358’s. I’m having one made into a 338 Federal.

Got this deer about a week ago, with new to me 284, made in 63 I think.

Last edited by hanco; 11/17/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why Is The Savage 99 So Popular?

Because it's a better rifle that offers the use of pointy bullets and faster cartridges. Easier to scope than a 94 helped too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Because it's a better rifle that offers the use of pointy bullets and faster cartridges. Easier to scope than a 94 helped too.
From what I've read, nobody seems to know exactly how many Savage 99's were produced but it was certainly nowhere near the 7 million + of the Win. 94 and not even close to the 3 million + of the Marlin 336. Given that, plus the fact that it is long discontinued while the '94 and 336 are still being made, it's hard to call the 99 "so popular".

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
They were pretty expensive in comparison to a Winchester or Marlin of the same timeframe, which was certainly a factor in lower sales. Ended up being a really long run niche rifle, as compared to an everyman's sort of gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well they made over one million 99's

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
From what I've read, nobody seems to know exactly how many Savage 99's were produced but it was certainly nowhere near the 7 million + of the Win. 94 and not even close to the 3 million + of the Marlin 336. Given that, plus the fact that it is long discontinued while the '94 and 336 are still being made, it's hard to call the 99 "so popular".

Think of it like high end luxury cars vs. Ford Tempos. Sure Ford sold more Tempos, but do we really want to talk about which one is better?

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Think of it like high end luxury cars vs. Ford Tempos. Sure Ford sold more Tempos, but do we really want to talk about which one is better?
Better for what ? Nothing handles/carries/balances better than a Winchester 94/92. My model 94 is 72 years old and still going strong. I've shot the piss out of it since I bought it in 1982 and it had some miles on it then. I have killed a pile of deer and varmints with it and It will still shoot into less than 2" with my aging eyes at 100 yards with iron sights. It has never malfunctioned in all these years and never broke down and it's far better looking than any 99.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
They were pretty expensive in comparison to a Winchester or Marlin of the same timeframe, which was certainly a factor in lower sales. Ended up being a really long run niche rifle, as compared to an everyman's sort of gun.
Yep, always a niche rifle for those who didn't mind a little ugly and needed the extra reach or at least thought they might.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I have mixed feelings on handling. I do think a 16-20" barreled 94 pulls up a bit better than any of my 99s, but my 22" barreled 1899A is the best carrying lever I've ever handled, by far. The 26 inchers aren't balanced quite as well in the hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester 71 is a fine lever action imo

As is the 1895/95

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/17/21.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can use a BLR or a Henry long ranger or a Win 88 or a Sako Finnwolf to do the same thing. None are real lever actions but they are all arguably better looking than a 99.

So guns that were designed and made anywhere over half a century to a century later than the 99 can do the same thing as the 99? Well, dang.. that’s a real endorsement of the brilliance of Arthur Savage. 130 years and the best other companies have done is matched his rifle.

And I think you’re the only person on the face of the earth that thinks the BLR is better looking than pretty much anything. But that’s fine, there’s room in this world for people who like anything.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ouch! Those steel buttplates make me wince! I’ve not shot those particular guns, but I have shot some other ones that made me regret it

Not even the slightest problem on an 1899 once you learn the proper way to shoulder it. Can shoot them all day perfectly comfortably in the cartridges they were chambered in.

Never shot the Anniversay edition with crescent buttplate and in 308. Might have to be careful with that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't say they sold more than the 94 or 336. The 99 was very popular nonetheless.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It is so "popular" here on the fire blacky.
Wether you like it or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's known. And we already covered the 1899/99 was more expensive than the 94 and 336, but just going on sales doesn't make something less popular. Unless you're arguing that the 1965 Ford Mustang was only as popular as the 1974 Ford Pinto.

Last edited by Calhoun; 11/17/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's known. And we already covered the 1899/99 was more expensive than the 94 and 336, but just going on sales doesn't make something less popular. Unless you're arguing that the 1965 Ford Mustang was only as popular as the 1974 Ford Pinto.

LOL ...... That wasn't my quote. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
You can use a BLR or a Henry long ranger or a Win 88 or a Sako Finnwolf to do the same thing. None are real lever actions but they are all arguably better looking than a 99.

So guns that were designed and made anywhere over half a century to a century later than the 99 can do the same thing as the 99? Well, dang.. that’s a real endorsement of the brilliance of Arthur Savage. 130 years and the best other companies have done is matched his rifle.

And I think you’re the only person on the face of the earth that thinks the BLR is better looking than pretty much anything. But that’s fine, there’s room in this world for people who like anything.
Never said I thought the BLR was good looking but tell yourself what you must. The advantage of the BLR or Henry long ranger is that they're still being made. They're all pretty damned ugly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

How many ? Did they make it to a million and a half ? That would at least make it about half as "popular" as the 336.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I didn't say they sold more than the 94 or 336. The 99 was very popular nonetheless.
You mean very popular like the 94 at 7 million + copies or the Marlin 60 at 10 million or the 10-22 at 10 million or the Remington 700 at 7 million ? I don't fuggin think so. A million plus over the number of years the 99 was produced is not the hallmark of a "very popular" rifle. Like it or not.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Raferman
Shut up bitch.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bitch huh? You're the faqq trolling people because they enjoy a firearm you don't.
#threadflamer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only have one 99 and I have several Winchesters and Marlins. I shot more deer with the Savage 99 than all the others combined. It wears a scope and is chambered in 300 Savage. The 300 Savage is almost perfect cartridge for deer if shots are under 300 yards. The rifle is easily scoped.

But I shoot more cast bullets in my Marlins and Winchesters.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

How many ? Did they make it to a million and a half ? That would at least make it about half as "popular" as the 336.

So you do believe the 1965 Ford Mustang and 1974 Ford Pinto were equally popular. Huh. Gotcha.

And no, the Savage 1895/1899/99 didn't make it to 1.5 million sales. So apparently there's no market for 99's, and the average sale price of $1000 or more that I saw in Tulsa for 99's is apparently that high because... nobody wants them. Gotcha. Only cheaper items sold en masse are "popular".

1955 - Marlin 336's sold from $69 to $100 (deluxe), Savage 99's sold from $105 to $110. Gee, what a shock that 33% cheaper guns sold better. I guess Savage Axis rifles are more popular than Kimbers nowadays.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I know.. editing oops. Sorry about that! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You mean very popular like the 94 at 7 million + copies or the Marlin 60 at 10 million or the 10-22 at 10 million or the Remington 700 at 7 million ? I don't fuggin think so. A million plus over the number of years the 99 was produced is not the hallmark of a "very popular" rifle. Like it or not.

Guess again ..... I didn't say they "very popular" compared to any other gun.

A million plus is a lot of anything and were a better choice than the 94 or 338. Like it or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know.. editing oops. Sorry about that! grin

NP ..... Just don't want to be confused with Blackhead. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Easy to differentiate. You don't spend your time going around bashing other people's interests.

For the record, the total sales were 1,175,000 give or take a couple percent. Which means the Winchester 1892 isn't popular with anybody and was a total failure, being that it barely broke 1,000,000. I'll have to let the local stores know that they need to mark those unpopular rifles down in price. grin

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Raferman
Shut up bitch.

That is what the Savage 99 said to your mom. I can only assume that your entire family has been violated by a Savage, with the why you are carrying on. It's a sad that you are jealous of an inanimate object that your mother enjoyed so much.

Last edited by LongSpurHunter; 11/17/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

So you do believe the 1965 Ford Mustang and 1974 Ford Pinto were equally popular. Huh. Gotcha.

And no, the Savage 1895/1899/99 didn't make it to 1.5 million sales. So apparently there's no market for 99's, and the average sale price of $1000 or more that I saw in Tulsa for 99's is apparently that high because... nobody wants them. Gotcha. Only cheaper items sold en masse are "popular".

1955 - Marlin 336's sold from $69 to $100 (deluxe), Savage 99's sold from $105 to $110. Gee, what a shock that 33% cheaper guns sold better. I guess Savage Axis rifles are more popular than Kimbers nowadays.
Have you checked the prices of model 94's lately ? Even post 64's in nice shape are going for 700 bucks and up lately. Pre '64's forget it. South of 1k is rode hard and put up wet junk. Popular items are in high demand and sell in high numbers. Savage 99's never fit the bill. Probably largely because they were so homely. Deal with it. And yes, Savage axis's likely are much more popular and outsell Kimbers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Guess again ..... I didn't say they "very popular" compared to any other gun.

A million plus is a lot of anything and were a better choice than the 94 or 338. Like it or not.
Better choice for what ? Certainly not for woods hunting whitetails. Unless you're tryin' to ugly the fuggin' things to death. Gotta be careful with that tactic. Too close with a 99 and it'll surely tear up a lot of meat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Easy to differentiate. You don't spend your time going around bashing other people's interests.

For the record, the total sales were 1,175,000 give or take a couple percent. Which means the Winchester 1892 isn't popular with anybody and was a total failure, being that it barely broke 1,000,000. I'll have to let the local stores know that they need to mark those unpopular rifles down in price. grin
How many companies are still making copies of Savage 99's VS how many are still making copies of Winchester 92's ? I thought so. Last I heard there were even still 92's with the Winchester name on them being produced.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, there's nothing quite like a Japanese lever action rifle to show how wonderful the Winchester firearms are.

I hear the quality has gone up a lot since they moved overseas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn’t a 1895 Winchester in 3003 or 30/40 krag get a 100 grain pill to go 3000 FPS?

I don’t have reloading data handy.

They shoot pointy bullets……….endorsed by president Roosevelt!

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/17/21.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, there's nothing quite like a Japanese lever action rifle to show how wonderful the Winchester firearms are.

It's not just the Japs. There are copies of Winchesters made in several Countries. Nobody's making Savage copies. The genius of John Moses Browning lives on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn’t a passel of 99 s made in Spain?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always kind of think of the 99 as the Weatherby of the turn of the last century. They were certainly more expensive than the more common Winchester 1894 but they also boasted higher velocity cartridges, in some cases. They were the state of the art space age rifle of the day in the early days. There were many reports of world travelers and guys going on month or more long hunts who outfitted themselves with a 99, surely some guys who went on these adventures chose a 94 but they didn’t get the press.

They were quite common on used gun racks when I was in Alaska, most of them very well used. There were certainly 94s looking just as well used in those same racks but that’s to be expected with them having been made in much larger numbers and cheaper to boot. Of course Alaska was and still is a place where very expensive firearms are much more commonly encountered, lots of folks find it easier to spend more for a more expensive firearm when there’s things that can and do eat people in their hunting areas.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Magazine articles & ads back in the day ?

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/17/21.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z

Yes, the quality level is extremely nice on the Miroku built ones. I came close to buying one (model 1873), but ended up going with a Uberti built Cimarron instead just because of better parts and service availability in case anything ever happens to it. The fit and finish was a bit better on the Winchester, though.

In either case, they're both far more a collector's piece than a KMart special anymore. The days of brand new levers being cheap Joe Schmoe deer rifles is over, aside from the Mossbergs, those are still fairly inexpensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For still hunting I found the 99 to be a great rifle, no hammer to deal with in cold temps with heavy mittens on, thang or lever safety so scopes could be mounted low, always considerable more powerful than the 94/336 until the 307/356 that nobody bought. It is a fine, accurate rifle that rivals a bolt-action in the days before bolt actions became popular. Bolts of the day and the 95's were heavy rifles compared to the 99. I still have one left a 99 in 375 that is insanely accurate with the original 250gr loading.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How does the 375 compare to the 35 Remington for reloading?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't quite understand the question, 35Rems reload like a rimless bottle necked cartridge and the 375 Win like a straightwall rimmed cartridge. The 375 factory loadings are pretty near the limit for what it will do, the 35 Rem has room to move up some but is limited by the weapons it is loaded for.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find the 336 35 Remington to reload up to if not surpass the 358 in a savage 99 I plan on working up my 375 336 this winter.

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/18/21.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I find the 336 35 Remington to reload up to if not surpass the 358 in a savage 99

TAC is your friend.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found the x terminator a better choice 4 me

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, that was entertaining. Eleven pages of well founded tribute for an honest, simple, well balanced, powerful hunting rifle, interspersed with inanities from someone obviously bent on nothing more than trolling.

I always gotta chuckle when someone plays the John M. Browning card to justify their likes. Everyone forgets that the man had good ideas, sure, but every single one of his patents that came to life did so only after the companies that bought into them expended tons of money and man hours to make them work.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've owned my share of 92 and 94 Winchesters (none presently) over the years, and while they're both very excellent designs, after owning an 1873 now, I don't think I'd ever go back to the oft worshipped Browning designs. The 73 is absolute beauty in its simplicity, is also smoother and better handling than any of the 92s I've had.

It's also a piece of cake to clean with the removable sideplates, and if I need more power than a middling 45 Colt load in a lever, that's why I have my Savage 99s. 😁

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Well, that was entertaining. Eleven pages of well founded tribute for an honest, simple, well balanced, powerful hunting rifle, interspersed with inanities from someone obviously bent on nothing more than trolling.

I always gotta chuckle when someone plays the John M. Browning card to justify their likes. Everyone forgets that the man had good ideas, sure, but every single one of his patents that came to life did so only after the companies that bought into them expended tons of money and man hours to make them work.
What a little old ninny. Sheesh. Go take a fuuckin nap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well written
Gnoahhh

Well done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a good 99. But I commonly run into 99E's with their puke yellow stocks and those things are hideous

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i been hunting alot but i have read what many have posted , i like the Savage 99`s also like pre-64 model 70`s and my all time favorite is a Ruger #1`s ,i have a few BLR`S another nice handling rifle . i only hunt with my family or alone so i have trust issues with many hunters . i started when i was a kid with a 30-30 Winchester yes i shot deer and even a bear with the 30-30 never cared much for a 30-30 lever but do respect the rifle. , but i had a old world war 2 Veteran who carried a Savage 99 from his car over to me to sight in on my 100 yd. rifle range 20 some years ago and ask me to see if the old girl was still on " was Benny`swords " it had a old 4x Weaver scope that when you looked thru the scope you thought it was raining . anyway old Benny "just turned 80 " i had a lot of respect for my old neighbor ,old Benny handed me 5 - 300 Savages cartridges i put all 5 in the rifle had put up a big sheet of white paper with about a 1 inch bulleyes in the middle. now i wondered if i would even hit the paper with this old 99 and with this ammo not all were the same type bullet either ,here`s what happened 1 st shot hit the top of the bulleyes ,i thought lucky 2nd shot went in the middle of the bullseye so did the 3rd ,4th touched the bulleyes on the right 5 th one almost in the middle again. i was amazed with this old 99 ,i have reloaded ammo for many years, shot plenty bench rest competition . even won a few bucks shooting , but,this old rifle got my attention,old Benny had killed some big bucks,bears,moose with this 99 and was Benny`s only rifle he owned . since then i have purchased a couple of 99`s . i have a 284 Win in a 99 that will shoot 5 shot 1inch groups or smaller at 100 yards that i purchased on 24 Campfire from a nice guy on here but i aint saying his name because he has a 358 Win. i kinda want.. some may think a 99 is ugly but 99`s do handle well and are dang accurate for a lever rifle for us lower grade guys like me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Did the takedown barrel get stuck in blackfart's ass?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

You stink just like Steelhead.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am happy ya'll fellows sparked my mind on them

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

If you are smelling fish I suggest a douche, I hear Winchester makes a great one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

agree

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 44mc
I am happy ya'll fellows sparked my mind on them

Me too, don’t think they are ugly!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Elegance Personified!!!

I live in Central Texas and I own lots of Savage 99s. I began deer hunting at age 10 with my grandfather's Savage 99 in 250-3000 and he was a Texas Game warden. The 99s were way ahead of their time. In this age of price point over quality and craftsmanship, Savage could no longer make the 99 economically competitive. I also have lots of Winchester and Marlin levers but the 99s are the beauty queens in my view.

Texas Shooter

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I got a 99 a while back just because of the Campfire 99 crew. Started hanging around there listening and gathering knowledge.

Kind of got the bug and when one showed up that I could afford I bought it. I have grown very fond of it. A 1952 EG in 300 Savage.
It is a handsome elegant rifle that is accurate and reliable. I like ‘94’s have had a couple and have a Marlin 1895 now too.
There is room in my safe for all of them……. Can’t we all just be friends. 😂😂

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ss336, some people have to bitch about what is best to happy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SS336

Nice classic!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A man with a savage 99 has many problems

A man without a 99 has but one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Dood, that's deep.

When did you start smoking cigars?

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Dood, that's deep.

I don't think it's a cigar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SS, you have a beautiful 99!! Here are some of mine. - T.S.
https://i.imgur.com/ZS52msT.jpg?1

And some of my Winchesters.
https://i.imgur.com/iW2J2QC.jpg

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Dood, that's deep.

Obviously you don't know Angus1895 or you would've never said that. Aren't the other trolls missing you there under the bridge?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Dood, that's deep.

Obviously you don't know Angus1895 or you would've never said that. Aren't the other trolls missing you there under the bridge?
Getting your depends all in a wad because somebody disputes the popularity and looks of an old, long out of production rifle is pretty pathetic old man. You'd better go take another nap before you start to cry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
blackheart, if you don't like them don't look at them . you sound like a dimmacrapp bitching about things you don't like . you are why people think New York people are dumb asses🖕

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
blackheart, if you don't like them don't look at them . you sound like a dimmacrapp bitching about things you don't like . you are why people think New York people are dumb asses🖕

But most of them ARE. Just look at the sorry condition of NY. (Country folks in Upstate are excluded, of course)

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks men for all the posts since I started this thread; I learned a lot. Lots of y’all have some beautiful 99’s! Your pics made me want one in .308! I got on GunBroker to look for one, but evidently everyone is proud of theirs also! More than I’m willing to pay. This has been a great thread until all the sh-t slinging started. That’s to be expected on the CF though…

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
So differing opinions are not to be tolerated ? Who is it that sounds like a good little Democrat/communist again ? GFY.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

But most of them ARE. Just look at the sorry condition of NY. (Country folks in Upstate are excluded, of course)
Texans have no room to talk about New Yorkers or anybody else..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger for life…..

I would recommend a 300 savage, early 20 s production are my favorites.

The 300 savage is what the 1899/99 action was made for IMO.

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/22/21.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
no argument here ,in the small world in the lower class people i am proudly from and live in , many of us feel the Savage 99 is a very unique rifle design . i also have asked Savage Reps at a dealer show , why doesn`t Savage also still make Savage 99`s ? Savage Reps told me just too expensive to build anymore. so as a pee-on i will cherish my Savage 99`s as i do my Perazzi shotguns, Ruger #1`s and my Winchester pre-64 model 70`s .

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Dood, that's deep.

Getting your depends all in a wad because somebody disputes the popularity and looks of an old, long out of production rifle is pretty pathetic old man. You'd better go take another nap before you start to cry.

Let me guess - you're Larry Root's twin brother, separated at birth. Bwahaha!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by pete53
no argument here ,in the small world in the lower class people i am proudly from and live in , many of us feel the Savage 99 is a very unique rifle design . i also have asked Savage Reps at a dealer show , why doesn`t Savage also still make Savage 99`s ? Savage Reps told me just too expensive to build anymore. so as a pee-on i will cherish my Savage 99`s as i do my Perazzi shotguns, Ruger #1`s and my Winchester pre-64 model 70`s .

I don't think that I could have said it better!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
TexasShooter,

That’s an awfully nice collection of 99’s you have there!
What cartridges are they chamber for? Myself I think Savage 99’s should be in Savage chamberings. But would not hesitate buying one in .358 Winchester or .32-40. Of course neither would anyone else. 😁

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
different op's is fine being an ass is not . you are the one that acts like a child bh

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
different op's is fine being an ass is not . you are the one that acts like a child bh
You talk like a third grader. I'd say a third grade girl by the whine. Short bus ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SS336
TexasShooter,

That’s an awfully nice collection of 99’s you have there!
What cartridges are they chamber for? Myself I think Savage 99’s should be in Savage chamberings. But would not hesitate buying one in .358 Winchester or .32-40. Of course neither would anyone else. 😁

Thanks. Not all of mine are in the pic but chamberings include 22 HP, 25-35, 250-3000, 243, 30-30, 303 Savage, 308,300 Savage, 358 Winchester and 375 Winchester. DOMs range from 1905 to 1980. The majority were made in the first three decades of the 20th century.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I sold all but my PE in 308. Not going to get rid of that one. It is just for looking at since I am disabled. Back in 1960 I bought a Winchester 88 from Holts. Walked into a leather shop I visited periodically in Waco Texas and was telling the owner about it. He said," You should have bought a Savage". I have been sorry I did not because I would have avoided spending lots of money on rifles had I gotten a Savage.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always wanted one from the time I was a little kid because I thought they just looked cool. I never had one until later in life and it instantly became my favorite hunting rifle. The combination of handling, light weight, accuracy, and the .300 being the perfect round for the type of hunting that I do is why it is popular with me. Mine is no safe queen it gets hunted hard. 1957 Model F.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being left handed the safeties just never worked for me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer the earlier 99's, but there's quite a selection with tang safeties.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They are good for quick second shots, hit the smaller pig on the run Monday evening. She was the only one to run across an open area , rest hit the brush.

Last edited by hanco; 11/24/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the earlier 99's, but there's quite a selection with tang safeties.

I don't care for the box magazine 99's

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Black heart condemns them for being ugly and ‘non-traditional’. All other positive attributes of them aside, I find them svelte and unique. Almost a ‘hybrid’ rifle in a genre of its own - Pedigree of a fine bolt rifle with the soul of a lever.

Three of the best, most prolific, and most influential deer hunters that I know personally have 99’s. My uncle in Jersey, my older brother’s best friend in W Virginia, and a friend of mine in Maine. All three have one in their fancy hardwood furniture ‘living room safes’/ display cases. That tells me that not only do they reach for them over many other rifles frequently to hunt with, but that they are also there to be admired.

I bought one from ‘66 in .308 to find out what they were all about. It’s one of the only guns that gives me an innate emotional response when I take it out of the case. Kinda like ‘the chills’. Reverence. Nostalgia. Something like that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
another thought about these great old Savage 99 rifles ? we all have heard the saying they don`t make land anymore and the same goes for 99 `s !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Volcanoes are still making land, but no more Savages.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Volcanoes are still making land, but no more Savages.

good answer ! but that kind of land is ugly but a Savage 99 is still a fine looking rifle for us peon blue collar workers !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Because they feel right in your hands!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no convincing a non believer.

You either like them or you don't.

I like them.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://i.imgur.com/3E4o2px.jpg

Savage 99 303 Savage DOM 1905

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
if this Savage 99 forum post keeps going someone may have to write a book with some pictures of these fine looking Savage 99`s maybe include Charles Newton too ? i know i sure like the 99`s and would like to read some more stories about 99`s history ? that`s a hint Mule Deer with a eye wink and a smile !

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Everything about a 99 is as good as it gets....!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 300 Savage and I foolishly had it up for sale. A guy offered full price for it, them he said he didn’t like the model “F”.
I have no idea why he didn’t like that model.
I made 300 Savage brass out of 308 Win brass. I loaded up a hundred or so and practiced with it. The more I shot it, the more I liked it. I took it out white tail hunting and filled my tags with it. It shot factory Remington ammo, 130 TTSX hand loads very accurately. It also shot 150 grain Interlocks almost as well - that’s what did the deer in - one shot apiece.
The rifle has a fully enclosed receiver so no hot gasses in the face if a cartridge ruptured, it has a cartridge counter, it allows pointed bullets and I believe that the 300 is a very fine deer cartridge.
A friend has 99-300 and that is his only center fire. He feels that it us the best rifle ever made.
I have Marlins and Winchester (had a BLR) lever rifles too with various chamberings. I like them! But it is the Savage I will pick when using a lever rifle for white tail.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/09/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
if this Savage 99 forum post keeps going someone may have to write a book with some pictures of these fine looking Savage 99`s maybe include Charles Newton too ? i know i sure like the 99`s and would like to read some more stories about 99`s history ? that`s a hint Mule Deer with a eye wink and a smile !

Couple of recent books on the 99 have been written. I think two more will be coming out in the next 2 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Couple of recent books on the 99 have been written. I think two more will be coming out in the next 2 years.

that reminds me Rory, i need to order your book!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by deerstalker

that reminds me Rory, i need to order your book!

I can send you mine for free, it sucks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hmm... Which model is detailed on page 87 in my book?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Hmm... Which model is detailed on page 87 in my book?

Will some of you Trump supporters please let Trump know that being President doesn't make him King Trump? First, that he can't MAKE laws, he would only be in charge of the organizations that enforce laws. Second, that murder trials are almost always state prosecutions. Third, that he can't dictate to the states what their laws are.

Going to issue an executive order that will force all states to enact the death penalty for anybody killing a cop.

Sigh.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Will some of you Trump supporters please let Trump know that being President doesn't make him King Trump? First, that he can't MAKE laws, he would only be in charge of the organizations that enforce laws. Second, that murder trials are almost always state prosecutions. Third, that he can't dictate to the states what their laws are.

Going to issue an executive order that will force all states to enact the death penalty for anybody killing a cop.

Sigh.

Originally Posted by Huntz
It can be very easily be made Federal law.

Not sure of that... but it DEFINITELY can't be done via executive fiat.

Who does Trump think he is, Obama? frown

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by isaac
Ummm, let's see...how about all police killings will be prosecuted as a Federal crime with the included penalty of death,upon convicton.

And he can do that with an executive order, and not with Congress?

Surprised Obama hasn't done a lot more if the President holds those kind of kingly powers.
===========

You're still not getting it, are you? WhoTF cares if another entity attempts to prevent him from implementation of his wishes? He said what he intended to do. If he does so, and another entity then tries to prevent it, it isn't on Trump. Get it? Or, are you thinking the Feds can't prosecute cop killers from other states the near same way as they do cops who have killed? Do you really believe the states and both Houses would put up a rousing argument to prevent such an law from being enacted?

It ain't rocket science.
No.. you don't get it.

I don't want another freaking narcissist who is going to learn on the job that he isn't the frigging emperor. That it's going to be the job of our elected officials to rein in the excesses of a REPUBLICAN president.

And it scares the bejeezus out of me that there are so many who DO want it.

And.. yes. There is no law saying it's a federal crime to kill a cop and so they can't prosecute it. An executive order there is ridiculous and the DOJ will just ignore it, or any federal court would throw it out as lacking jurisdiction. You know this.
Congress could pass a law to make it a federal crime, but Trump isn't aware that's necessary.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I guess the only man in Calhoun's house is there when he's gone.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
You never did answer the question in regards to the book.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I did, you're just a another Liberal idiot.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Except you didn't; nice deflection, though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It’s because he’s a liar. Not worth talking to a man who has no honor or lies. He’s both. Blocked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It’s because he’s a liar. Not worth talking to a man who has no honor or lies. He’s both. Blocked.

Steelhead never had the book to begin with

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You are right, They aren't very popular at all and that is a HUGE PLUS for some of us.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
grin grin, looking good Steve !!! grin

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Now we know why some of us can't find a 99 in 25-35 or 32-40 without selling a kidney these days 😝

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, if that's what it takes. Sell one, you got two anyhow.......................... laugh laugh laugh

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Hey, if that's what it takes. Sell one, you got two anyhow.......................... laugh laugh laugh

I'd like to keep what body parts I have left. I'm already short a spleen, appendix, and part of a finger 🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I'd like to keep what body parts I have left. I'm already short a spleen, appendix, and part of a finger 🤣

Had I known, I wouldn't have poked fun at you. I apologize,

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
No need. The finger was my own fault, anyway 😉

That is a heck of a beautiful collection, btw. I only have 3 myself. I'd like to pick up maybe one more, but the only ones I'm interested now in are in the harder to find, pricey cartridges.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Like other, there are a few who really like them.
Based on my experience trying to sell one, not so much right now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it has condition, I've never seen a better time to sell. 99C's in 308 with pressed checkering have gone for $1500, EG's north of $1000, heck here's one that just went for $2500.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916308665

If it has significant wear, then it's probably no worse than any earlier time. Just have to find the buyer who will pay you what you want.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They may not be the prettiest rifle out there but they shoulder if not better than any rifle I have ever shoulder as good as the best I ever have. They handle high pressure .358, .308, .284, .7mm 08. They accept scopes, rotary fed or clip in newer models, round bottom carry’s well and a round counter. They were far a head of there time. Plus they shoot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I forgot to mention a 99 is also a controlled round action not a push.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From what I’ve read Savage and I doubt anyone else will market a 99 again. Tooling and workmanship would put the rifle at $1500.00 - $2000.00.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe I read some where the 99 was actually developed in the attempt to win a military contract. I maybe wrong.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Read about Arthur Savage. The man was a true renaissance man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was late to appreciate the 99. It looked too much like my first repeating 22 LR, the Marlin 57, which I thought was a poorly designed rifle - I much preferred the 39. I've had Winchesters and Marlins for a while. I am not sure, but the 444 Marlin may have been my first lever action center fire, which I had maybe 1980. My first 99 I bought after I retired. I'm impressed with it. It's a "F" model 99 with a 300 Savage chamber. It is a fine whitetail rifle and cartridge. Perhaps the best whitetail lever rifle I've had.
The 94 and the 336's are handy and I suppose a Marlin in 308 Marlin would be a good choice for a lever rifle also for me. By the way my whitetail hunting is mostly on western ranch land anymore and shots have been from 10 feet to 350+ yards. I normally carry different 700's with various calibers/chambers, but the 99 would works well too.
If the range for shooting were under 100 yards, just about any lever rifle would work, except in my opinion some of the smaller chamberings, since I don't belong to the "smallest possible cartridge for the game" club.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/28/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"I now refer to them as the prettiest ugly rifle ever made".

Love it. Took me until my 60s to appreciate them.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 8mmRem
From what I’ve read Savage and I doubt anyone else will market a 99 again. Tooling and workmanship would put the rifle at $1500.00 - $2000.00.

At the same quality as of fifty years ago, that would be a bargain considering some of the offerings today. It’s always interesting to me that often guys who have a $60k+ truck, hesitate at a rifle or shotgun over $750 and make up the market for a “rough hewn” gun with a black stock.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The savage 99 was a low cost economical rifle that worked well. There are a lot of them in my area of Canada mainly for that reason. I still deer hunt with an EG in .300 savage today and have since the mid 1980’s. This rifle feels so good when I shoulder it, not really sure how to describe it. It is so well balanced. Dad was a lefty, like myself. He already had a Model E 300 savage and picked up a used EG in 300 savage that he gifted to me in the mid 80’s. You could get these rifles used in my area for next to nothing cost wise and they were readily available. That and being a lefty is what I believe got pops and thus now myself into them. I now have dads 300 savage model E in my collection and will gift it to my son when he’s a few years older. Here’s to ya pops.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marlin and Winchester owned the lever action market so Savage needed to come up with a different lever gun. A plus was it could shoot pointed bullets and easy to mount a scope on it. I doubt the rifles were used past 150 yards very often so a flat nosed bullet would work ok, as would a receiver sight.

I still have my Fathers old 99 in 300 Savage that he used on deer and antelope out West before we moved to Alaska in 1965. It is taken out of the safe and wiped down a couple of times a year and still have the old Weaver 4x scope with the post reticle. Hope to load up some 150 grain Nosler Partitions for it and use it on what ever we point it at. I'm sure it will kill any thing up here if we do our part.

Ya, the trigger sucks, by todays standards and compared to the tuned triggers on my Mod. 70's, Tikka and tuned Winchester and Marlin lever gun triggers.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Marlin actually produced the first Savage model 1895 guns in 1894 for Savage. Arthur Savage didn’t have the manufacturing abilities to build the rifle and contracted that initially out to Marlin. The model 1895 transformed into the model 1899 in 1898 which transformed into the model 99 in 1923.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by 8mmRem

At the same quality as of fifty years ago, that would be a bargain considering some of the offerings today. It’s always interesting to me that often guys who have a $60k+ truck, hesitate at a rifle or shotgun over $750 and make up the market for a “rough hewn” gun with a black stock.

So true.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.