Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antlers
What did we accomplish?
A lotta bigwigs here in America made a lotta money.
Right, and we haven't even paid the interest on WW1 yet. Much less the debt acquired then and since.
People driven by that kind of greed don’t give a schit about the country, or anything or anyone else.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by PJGunner
With the exception of Grenada, we really have not won a war since WW2.

Guess you forgot about Yemen and Iraq.

What did we accomplish? Either place?

For that matter WW1 and WW2 were lost considering that the end result was communism for half the world.

I would almost say we haven't won anything since we pacified the Indian tribes.

Well put. We won WW1 and that lead directly to the Nazis.
We destroyed the Nazis in WW2 and that lead directly to Communism engulfing half the world.

Then we had to lose tens of thousands of troops in Korea and 'Nam to stop Communism, and today Russia and China are as big and strong as ever. The USA cant win for losing since the Indian Wars.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Hitler would have conquered Europe if he’d left Russia alone and not fugged with the japs

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Another casualty of the Vietnam War was the loss of confidence in our own government. My father was a Pacific Theatre Marine, a combat veteran.

Neither my brother nor I were drafted, but my father’s advice was to go to Canada if we were. This from a guy who was buried per his request in his dress blues.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Federal Government and the military lied their asses off to the American people about Vietnam. The politicians and the generals were way more concerned about making bloodstained dollars than they were about the country or the 58,000 Americans killed over there. The same can be said for the military-industrial complex and the rotten to the core South Vietnamese government.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its funny the deep state killed Kennedy right after he outed them on television. Kennedy was also against Vietnam.
Kennedy also created SEAL #1 for container verification inside Cuban ports during the deep state missile crisis.

Seems there is more to this Kennedy fella than meets the eye.

Always remember, good for thousands of years as it is in today’s climate, “a draw against so powerful an enemy was a victory”

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 11/13/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by reivertom
We won every battle, but lost the war. If the politicians hadn't got involved there would have been a different outcome.

If the politicians hadn’t gotten involved we wouldn’t have been there in the first place.

Can't argue with that.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I suspect Vietnam is more capitalist than the USA these days. Long term view? Maybe we won after all.

Production isn't the same as freedom. Look at China. Even the hard line Commies in the CCP realized that trade and money buys things that Communism can't. Even so, the people are going through another Mao-like surge of repression after they got a taste of freedom in the 1990s and 2000s. Chairman Xi wants to be the next Chairman Mao, and is purging any free thinking big shots in the party.

Last edited by reivertom; 11/13/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never have I equated capitalism with freedom.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I suspect Vietnam is more capitalist than the USA these days. Long term view? Maybe we won after all.

Production isn't the same as freedom. Look at China. Even the hard line Commies in the CCP realized that trade and money buys things that Communism can't. Even so, the people are going through another Mao-like surge of repression after they got a taste of freedom in the 1990s and 2000s. Chairman Xi wants to be the next Chairman Mao, and is purging any free thinking big shots in the party.

What is this freedom you speak of?

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh yeah....we are so fugging free.

Taxed to death and need a permit for everything.

Weeeee dogs!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

NPR had a good story on Xi the other day.

I blame Nixon for all this China crap.

Xi is taking advantage of everything Nixon started with this "normalized relations" scheidt.

And, the way things look, he WILL be the next Mao.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
From the article;

In no year of that long war did the North Vietnamese war death toll even come close to equaling the natural birth rate increase of the population. In other words, every year reaching out far into the future there were more babies born in the north than NVA we were killing in the south, so each year a new crop of draftees arrived as replacements for the dead.

This misses the point. Even a totalitarian regime eould have difficulty convincing its population to send every member of each new generation off to die.

The war was won by 1968. Read Lewis Sorley's A Better War.

North Vietnam could not conquer the South as long as Ametican air support wasn't withhrld - the lessons of the Easter Offensive were ignored by a Democratic Congress in 1975.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No thanks.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 60 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,889
Posts18,497,940
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.