Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dan has done a 1/2 dozen Rem 700 bolts for me, all of different vintages, the worst ones being the newer ones. Two of the RR prefixed ones I sent were just like yours--they did not extract *at all.* They all work perfectly now. It's a no brainer to send it to him. Pull the firing pin assembly (prob have to buy the tool to do this), measure the gap with a feeler gauge as per his instructions (not hard), and send it to him USPS.

Your bolt will come back 2 weeks later extracting perfectly.

I have also had gunsmiths do the same work who demanded I send the action along with the bolt. I did this; the result was identical to Dan's work. So now I just use Dan.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TX35W
Dan has done a 1/2 dozen Rem 700 bolts for me, all of different vintages, the worst ones being the newer ones. Two of the RR prefixed ones I sent were just like yours--they did not extract *at all.* They all work perfectly now. It's a no brainer to send it to him. Pull the firing pin assembly (prob have to buy the tool to do this), measure the gap with a feeler gauge as per his instructions (not hard), and send it to him USPS.

Your bolt will come back 2 weeks later extracting perfectly.

I have also had gunsmiths do the same work who demanded I send the action along with the bolt. I did this; the result was identical to Dan's work. So now I just use Dan.

Hello 35 West.
I don't have the tool to pull the firing pin assembly and I didn't measure the gap. I assumed he had a jig for this. I guess I need to rethink this. I can maybe run to Brownells tomorrow afternoon if they list the tool in stock.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/17/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a string and a coin you can remove the FP assembly. It’s easy to get the measurements with feeler gauges.

https://youtu.be/VVacK49mjDc

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
RH f/pin assy removal-
Remove bolt from receiver.
Hold bolt body in left hand w/ handle facing to 9 o'clock.

Place the shank of an 1/8" inch pocket screw driver to aft hook of the striker.

Hold the screw driver w/ index & middle to use thumb to slightly cock f/pin assy while rotating f/pin ccw to jump striker over pin/striker cocking cam surface in aft end of bolt body

repeat above 4 360 degree ccwise revolutions.
5th rotation f/pin assy will be removed from bolt body
(pin assy is captive....no loose flying objects)

F/Pin Installation-
Thread f/pin assy into aft end of bolt body 1 turn.
Reverse the above operation for 4 more 360 degree clock wiserevolutions.
Ensure finger of cocking piece is in detent/radius @ 12o'clock position 180degree from your hand held position.

Done

Time involved to remove & reinstall....15 seconds.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805
If you have a string and a coin you can remove the FP assembly. It’s easy to get the measurements with feeler gauges.

https://youtu.be/VVacK49mjDc

Thanks 805. That makes it simple.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dans40X
RH f/pin assy removal-
Remove bolt from receiver.
Hold bolt body in left hand w/ handle facing to 9 o'clock.

Place the shank of an 1/8" inch pocket screw driver to aft hook of the striker.

Hold the screw driver w/ index & middle to use thumb to slightly cock f/pin assy while rotating f/pin ccw to jump striker over pin/striker cocking cam surface in aft end of bolt body

repeat above 4 360 degree ccwise revolutions.
5th rotation f/pin assy will be removed from bolt body
(pin assy is captive....no loose flying objects)

F/Pin Installation-
Thread f/pin assy into aft end of bolt body 1 turn.
Reverse the above operation for 4 more 360 degree clock wiserevolutions.
Ensure finger of cocking piece is in detent/radius @ 12o'clock position 180degree from your hand held position.

Done

Time involved to remove & reinstall....15 seconds.

Thanks Dan.

kwg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 805

That said once you run the bolt on a properly timed bolt it’s much easier and smoother.

Very true. Until you’ve experienced both poorly and properly timed, it’s impossible to know.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Easiest way to get the firing pin assembly out is just hook it in your shoe lace and unscrew

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan40X
I put 2 bolts (with the firing pins removed) in the mail today. I measured the gap and the numbers are taped to each bolt.

kwg

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 805
Here is a video that explains primary extraction. Do you know what letter serial number your action is? RR are definitely the worst.
https://youtu.be/szy4HBg3q80

Great video 805. I had to go check my 2 Remingtons. The cam that starts the primary extractions are visible. More so on the G code serial number than on the RR code serial number. The G code is a .243 and the RR is a .223 if that makes a difference but the G code rifle cam is more visible and the primary extraction is slightly more robust.
kwg

The G codes are the worst in my experience. I have one when it was new when the bolt handle was opened all the way the handle was hitting the edge of the receiver, just barely. A small flat file with fine teeth to just "break" the sharp edge on the receiver gave it enough clearance though. The edges on the G models are much sharper than my A, B or C prefixes. The cro-moly actions were buffed less and less in each successive era. The RR's are better.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 805
Here is a video that explains primary extraction. Do you know what letter serial number your action is? RR are definitely the worst.
https://youtu.be/szy4HBg3q80

Great video 805. I had to go check my 2 Remingtons. The cam that starts the primary extractions are visible. More so on the G code serial number than on the RR code serial number. The G code is a .243 and the RR is a .223 if that makes a difference but the G code rifle cam is more visible and the primary extraction is slightly more robust.
kwg

The G codes are the worst in my experience. I have one when it was new when the bolt handle was opened all the way the handle was hitting the edge of the receiver, just barely. A small flat file with fine teeth to just "break" the sharp edge on the receiver gave it enough clearance though. The edges on the G models are much sharper than my A, B or C prefixes. The cro-moly actions were buffed less and less in each successive era. The RR's are better.

I found the opposite. The gap on the G code was smaller than the gap on the RR. Of course, we are only talking in thousands.

kwg

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
alpionecrick & kwg020,

FYI-
The bolt handles from 2006(G prefix) to present(RR prefix) serial numbered receivers are identical.
Short "CAM" as I've coined them.

The largest variable is the length of the bolt body "TUBE"in the equation.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (2500HD, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 23 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,634
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.