-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buck 102 has done me good for 46 years, sliced up a few tons of game with it.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie
I have a few "nice" knives.

I use a Havelon now. In the field and processing in my shop.

Hard to beat. I really like the Havelons.

I’ve used my old Spyderco Police Model with the Half serrated blade on a lot of my deer and hogs in the past.

And a Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter quite a bit too.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1023439899?pid=668006&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Knives+%26+Tools+-+Hunting+Knives+%26+Tools&utm_content=668006&cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Knives+%26+Tools+-+Hunting+Knives+%26+Tools-_-Cold+Steel-_-668006&msclkid=7af941df7b5b1b55c1b4204f3b0157ed&utm_term=1101100736047

My “nice” knifes usually stay in the safe.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/13/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I use 2 Ruana's one is a 10 and the other is a custom I had them make. The ones I never used I gave to my son. I just had a my fishing partner give me an old buck 105 that's going to get some work this month.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These also work very well for a “cheap” knife:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Roach-Belly-Fixed-Blade--10139

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MickinColo
These are the field tools I've been using sense the late 90s, before that I was using Russell Green River knives.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What make are those identical guthooks? They look like Buck.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by MickinColo
These are the field tools I've been using sense the late 90s, before that I was using Russell Green River knives.

What make are those identical guthooks? They look like Buck.

they look like a Buck 691. I've come close to owning one several times. Dam Ebay.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buck Ergo-hunter Folder, picked up three in the PdC Cabelas bargain cave for like $15 a piece about a decade back. Still on the first. Custom knives aren't my thing - just sharp and packable works for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I can cape, skin, gut, bone or dress anything with 4 legs with a $25 knife.
Call me frugal, cheap or whatever you want.
I ain't paying hundreds of dollars for a status symbol.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by superlight17b
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Yeah, I'm same way, I collect knives, Gerbers, Pumas, a Randall, old Buck & SpyderCo, but the knives in my hunting pack are a pair of Moras and a Wyoming Knife and a pair of pruning shears and a diamond rod.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What is that Puma Package set in the middle of your Puma display? I've never seen that before.Looks like a White Hunter with accessories.
Thanks for those knife Pics.

I picked that up at Smokey Mountain Knife Works many years ago, and it was "pre-owned" then. It's a Puma Auto Messer, basically a White Hunter with a Jacaronda wood handle in rare kit form. it also comes with an alternate plastic sheath designed to be attached by screws to a SUVs front foot well. Little fishing kit, Bic lighter marked Puma, little AAA pen light, Puma marked compass, etc...

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 11/14/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Like a lot of us, I have lots of knives, but the two which get by far the most work for hunting, and for fishing come to that, are a Victorinox Hunter SAK and a Victorinox curved boning knife. The former rides in my pocket, and does an excellent job for gutting, as well as various other uses which SAKs are so good for. The later rides in a knife roll with a matching skinner, a steel, and a folding gambrel.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Am I the only one that still starts things off with a Wyoming Knife?

I was given a CRKT Signature Skinner with a 3-1/4 inch blade and I find myself using it for the lions share. Love the size and feel and shape - Great knife for me. Not made any more I guess. Shame.

I bought a fellow Fire member and my son smallish Moore Maker skinners. I have a hankering for but can't get them now. Kind of thin and agile and fits my hand.

The most extravagant knife I have is a Bark River Canadian Belt knife semi customized in that I picked my handle material and added mosaic pins. A much fuller knife for when needed.

Does anyone here know about the Katz knife? The one with a gut hook. Very heavy knife with upturned blade. Dad and brother have one. Good steel and does a great job on deer.

Last edited by kenjs1; 11/14/21.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When all is said and done, I will take either a KOA Alpha Wolf or my Randall Pathfinder.

Dean

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
To each his own Sal.

Some of the knives I see on this site are really nice. Until I look up the price.

Yowsa!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JSTUART;
Good morning to you sir, I see it's 2:45AM tomorrow, so I hope you're reading this much later, that you had a fine rest and that your family are well.

Thanks for the thread and the photos it's producing, knives of all sorts are a lifelong passion with me so I can't help but enjoy it all.

While I've made a few custom handled knives on Mora blades and have at least one left stashed somewhere in a vehicle, they're not my "go to" blades.

If something gets taken apart in the field during season, usually it's going to be an early production Buck Vantage Pro with it's Paul Bos heat treated S30V blade.

[Linked Image]

I was so happy with the performance that I ordered a second one as a spare and did up a set of blaze orange scales for the primary one.

Usually I'll have some sort of fixed blade belt knife on me too and then during hunting season there's a few more fixed blade knives in the door of the pickup ready to go if something big has hit the ground.

Thanks again for the thread, thanks to all who've participated and all the best to one and all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

Anyone know how to contact JSTAURT? Site says that he does not accept private email. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of my deer skinning is done with a Puma Hunter's Friend, circa 1966. Leather sheath is still intact. Blade holds an edge well, still fairly pristine despite year's of use and abuse.

Been gutting deer for decades with a SS Sharp 3" folder, leather belt "holster". keeps an edge, works fine. Think it cost around $10 at Kmart, 30 years ago? Have other knives, none very expensive.

Two pockets knives that get carried most days. One "work knife" NRA freebie 440 SS folder made in China. Still have two more in the boxes. One Kershaw 3115 SS made in Japan, for dress up days (clean jeans), both 2-1/2 blades. Carried Schrade pocket knives for many years, before I started accumulating free knives.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I can cape, skin, gut, bone or dress anything with 4 legs with a $25 knife.
Call me frugal, cheap or whatever you want.
I ain't paying hundreds of dollars for a status symbol.

So can anyone. Why not use a savage axis instead of a nice rifle?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a few custom blades,but I use my Buck 692 most often for disassembly of a deer.
I've had it since the early-mid 90's and it's my go to blade.
Also have a cheap ass Mora that sees plenty of action too.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son and I both use a Buck 691. Bought them @ Bass Pro around 04/05 ? I think they had them on sale @ 29.99 . I also have a Buck 121 with the original sheath, it's in great shape, My Dad gave it to me years ago.

That 691 is a great knife . It has dis-assembled quite a few critters.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
simply amazing how many animals are successfully processed with POS junk quality knives. Heck, men used flint and obsidian knives to clean a lot of animals. Using a POS knife does not make you a better person, neither does using a prized and expensive custom knife. I never understood threads like this.

Sam......

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,697
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.