Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Judman

So can anyone. Why not use a savage axis instead of a nice rifle?

Slow day........

Back when I was a yonker, one would hear the epitaph..... "Support Live Music, hire live musicians".

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rocky Menefee "Sweet Sixteen"

"Loveless lambs" repros by TK Steingass

Dale Howe (Howe Mountain Knives) "Brisket Breaker"

Tim Olt(Michiganroadkill) , Buffalo Skinner

Brett Dowell Semi-Skinner

Ken Honeycutt set!

Gene Ingram B&T

Menefee Made Knives (Rick Menefee)

Top: Semi-Skinner,
Bottom: Loveless Hunter
Both knives etched A-2 steel

Last edited by geedubya; 11/14/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a few custom knives, and rarely use them. When I need a deer processing knife, I grab a Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter, or Gerber Magnum Folding Hunter.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
simply amazing how many animals are successfully processed with POS junk quality knives. Heck, men used flint and obsidian knives to clean a lot of animals. Using a POS knife does not make you a better person, neither does using a prized and expensive custom knife. I never understood threads like this.

Come on Sam,show us some of your Randalls.

I own Randalls as well as hundreds of other knives.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
I have a few custom knives, and rarely use them. When I need a deer processing knife, I grab a Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter, or Gerber Magnum Folding Hunter.

I've had one of those Gerbers since 1983.

I just rehabbed it and now it looks new again.

One of my hobbies is collecting,reconditioning and modifying knives.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have seen a LOT of skinning knives fail at the skinning pole.

These knives are the best working knives I have ever had my hands on...bar none...

http://mccroskeyknives.com/

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have several knives I carry in my cleaning bag. Mora is the cheapest and gets used more than most of them. My son used it today to finish cleaning his deer.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Geedubya, You sir, have some very nice tools!
Goes along with those really nice rifles.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This has been a good knife for skinning and quartering mule deer:

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Notice the full-size handle. I have big hands and this is big enough to go all the way through my hand. It has good steel, but it is not a thick knife for batoning wood. It is light enough in the pack to carry two - and you'll want to because the edge can dull or get damaged. It isn't super steel, so it's not going to stay sharp dressing a large deer much less an Elk. I see some people buy those disposable blade jobs. I prefer this knife. It's not hard to sharpen, but I can take a couple of them and have a sharp blade as long as I need it. It has an easy to clean handle (NSF certified) and it sells shipped for $8.99.

Even so, I am contemplating getting a $250 or $300 knife made of something like Cru-Wear, Elmax, M390... there's a growing number of high-end knife steels now. I should try one.

I hadn't thought of using my Morakniv. I would think the thick scandi grind wouldn't be well suited to skinning, but I never tried it. I always have one, at least at camp.

I like the meat, but I really like the skins. I want a knife that is going to do a fine job on the skin. I have them tanned (don't have the space to do it myself). I figure nothing is so important to cutting the hide cleanly as sharpness.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

I like the meat, but I really like the skins. I want a knife that is going to do a fine job on the skin. I have them tanned (don't have the space to do it myself). I figure nothing is so important to cutting the hide cleanly as sharpness.

I'd say get yourself something not so pointy! A sem-skinner, bull nose skinner, canadian belt knife pattern or a Nessmuk style blade if you are caping.

Then you've got the right tool for the job!

full disclosure, different day different critter.

JMHO,

YMMV

Ya!

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a lot of you guys have a lot more experience than I when it comes to knives. I would like to ask a question. Most knives sold as hunting knives are rather thick and heavy. For me they are harder to sharpen and keep sharp. Thinner knives are easier to sharpen and seem to hold an edge better. I know a lot depends on the type of steel and the angle at which it is sharpened. What say youall?

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Honest?

I like knives, but don't go past a price of $150 or so. I personally just can't see some of the prices, but that's just me.

If I get a special knife I'm hesitant to use it. Want to save it for something. crazy

Have found that some of the simplest, reasonable priced knives perform well.

A plastic handle Buck version of the 112, the one with the deep hollow grind blade has probably cut up as many deer as any I have, mainly just because I keep them in my trucks. I go to a friends to drink beer & he says; my boy killed another deer, you want some meat? Sure.

Yeah, I have a pile of Mora's & now liking the $17 Cold Steel Pendleton Lite, even if it does say Taiwan or wherever.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunzo

Yeah, I have a pile of Mora's & now liking the $17 Cold Steel Pendleton Lite, even if it does say Taiwan or wherever.

FWIW,

I've owed the CS RoachBelly, Pendelton lite Hunter and the Canadian Belt knife.

at one time it was my "pack knife"

Of the three my fav is the CBK, one of which rides in the side pocket, driver's side, rear door of my Ford Expedition to this day.

IIRC, The Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter was named Field and Stream "Best of the Best" in 2010.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When it comes to hunting purposes I use the expensive stuff the same as the inexpensive stuff.

The expensive stuff has always worked more better IME.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunting, I’ve had a Buck woodsman for years.

Every day use is a Kershaw.

I would like to get another Anzo? Knife out of Texas. I gave my only one to my boy.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 45_100
Sounds like a lot of you guys have a lot more experience than I when it comes to knives. I would like to ask a question. Most knives sold as hunting knives are rather thick and heavy. For me they are harder to sharpen and keep sharp. Thinner knives are easier to sharpen and seem to hold an edge better. I know a lot depends on the type of steel and the angle at which it is sharpened. What say youall?

Agree with you on all counts, and no need for some miracle steel to field dress any animal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

. . . I like the meat, but I really like the skins. I want a knife that is going to do a fine job on the skin. I have them tanned (don't have the space to do it myself). I figure nothing is so important to cutting the hide cleanly as sharpness.

Dexter beaver knife
About $15.00 from any trapping supply company.
Made specifically to skin the expensive furbearers
without any pelt damage. No point. Good steel

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
simply amazing how many animals are successfully processed with POS junk quality knives. Heck, men used flint and obsidian knives to clean a lot of animals. Using a POS knife does not make you a better person, neither does using a prized and expensive custom knife. I never understood threads like this.

if it wasn't for threads like this......you wouldn't have the chance to spread your unusual brand of joy ....bob

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Anyone know how to contact JSTAURT? Site says that he does not accept private email. GW

Because I am a cunt like that...how can I assist you?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I posted this thread as I like to see what is getting used hard, not what is used and salted away in a drawer and dragged out for pics.

I find that more interesting than looking at new shiny toys.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ranger99

. . . I like the meat, but I really like the skins. I want a knife that is going to do a fine job on the skin. I have them tanned (don't have the space to do it myself). I figure nothing is so important to cutting the hide cleanly as sharpness.

Dexter beaver knife
About $15.00 from any trapping supply company.
Made specifically to skin the expensive furbearers
without any pelt damage. No point. Good steel

You know, the last two I didn't have any holes in them from the paring knife I used, but then I didn't even flesh them. I put them in the cooler with gel ice packs on top and dropped them off at the tanner.

So I was just thinking about getting the hide off in the field, but your bit of advice made me realize I would be better off with a tool like this and maybe a fleshing tool. I figure the more meat I get off the hide in the field, the better the fur is going to keep. I'm not going to beam the hide in the field, but anything that gets it cleaner and cooler faster is going to be worth more than a super alloy.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,070
Posts18,521,609
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.