Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Why did you take the tails?

Generally we left them in the paddock unless there was an order for either the cosmetics industry (collagen), or one of the tribal councils wanted some for consumption

Dog tucker.

They drop the whole tail on the fire and wait 'til it's cooked-ish, then peel and eat...traditional but not my cup of tea.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
My father in laws girl friend is part Maori.

She likes lamb tails.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
simply amazing how many animals are successfully processed with POS junk quality knives. Heck, men used flint and obsidian knives to clean a lot of animals. Using a POS knife does not make you a better person, neither does using a prized and expensive custom knife. I never understood threads like this.

if it wasn't for threads like this......you wouldn't have the chance to spread your unusual brand of joy ....bob

it was just an observation, but if it brought you some joy, then I am happy as well. smile

glad I could make you smile....bob

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

The new ones are nice to ogle Geedub, but the knives I really like to see are the ones that are carried and used...price or maker has no bearing on the matter, age doesn't either.
When a fellow uses or goes back to his favourite standby you have to ask yourself what makes that blade stand out, conversely when another posts a new different blade every time I just assume he hasn't found his knife yet.

As I said before, I particularly like my Randalls and enjoy using them...but experience tells me that I can rely on that Mora.

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My father in laws girl friend is part Maori.

She likes lamb tails.

We used to eat them as kids in Qld.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We burn ours off....so I guess we could eat them too.

We docked really late....they must have weighed over a pound each.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same here !

My go to always, outside.

Got lots of fancy kitchen cutlery, that I love & use indoors.

To each there own !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my knives are all cheap. 100 bucks is the most expensive and i got it as a gift. i figure i would just lose them anyway so never bought good ones. my favorite is a little queen steel bird and trout i got almost 50 years ago. probably a 10 dollar knife then and not worth much more now but it does the trick.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used a lot of different knives over the years and for the last 15 or 20 years I have used one or the other of the knives I make. Prior to that, I used this Morseth I bought in 1972. It is a very handy size, has a blade shape I really like and holds a great edge even though it's just carbon steel. I don't claim to have anywhere near the experience some of you guys that have killed stuff for a living have. But there is no telling how many game animals and fish this knife has dressed over the years, how many shooting lanes it has helped clear or the miles I have carried it. It has been lost and found several times and gotten more rust on it than I would like to admit. It would easily do it all again. It was about twice the price of a Puma or Buck in 1972, and very well worth the extra cost to me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I always enjoy knife threads but have yet to get the "honest" part, who would lie about their choice of knives?

Now edc pistols I can understand folks not wanting to admit they don't carry a Glock but many knives perform well regardless of cost or mfgr.

#glocktard

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I've used a lot of different knives over the years and for the last 15 or 20 years I have used one or the other of the knives I make. Prior to that, I used this Morseth I bought in 1972. It is a very handy size, has a blade shape I really like and holds a great edge even though it's just carbon steel. I don't claim to have anywhere near the experience some of you guys that have killed stuff for a living have. But there is no telling how many game animals and fish this knife has dressed over the years, how many shooting lanes it has helped clear or the miles I have carried it. It has been lost and found several times and gotten more rust on it than I would like to admit. It would easily do it all again. It was about twice the price of a Puma or Buck in 1972, and very well worth the extra cost to me.

Shooting for a living sucks and is just work...I am more impressed with the fellows on here that hunt off their hind legs and carry everything with them.

And I have seen some very interesting knives on this thread that tell a lot about the fellows who use them and how they use them.

added. Something I do find perplexing is how do you fellows that hunt in cold weather work with knives that have small handles?

Last edited by JSTUART; 11/15/21.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Anyone know how to contact JSTAURT? Site says that he does not accept private email. GW

Because I am a cunt like that...how can I assist you?

Am interested in the Cattaraugus knife that pictured on this thread . antiquegmanhotmail.co

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Am interested in the Cattaraugus knife that pictured on this thread . antiquegmanhotmail.co

No...it is waiting for it's owner.

That is not you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GDub,

More pics and info on the G Dukeman knife on the dove breasts, and also the knife in the foxes mouth, if you please. Google failed me on the Dukeman.

My "hard use knives" see maybe 2-4 deer a year. Maybe a few dozen squirrel.

The Benchmade in my ruler pocket is the true hard use knife, for me. Only been used on deer a couple of times, but it goes every where I do.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I can cape, skin, gut, bone or dress anything with 4 legs with a $25 knife.
Call me frugal, cheap or whatever you want.
I ain't paying hundreds of dollars for a status symbol.

So can anyone. Why not use a savage axis instead of a nice rifle?

The $25 "Junk Knife" I use is used by virtually every single professional butcher I've worked with over the last 43 years.

Thanks for caring though.

My hunting buddy was also a butcher for the largest grocery company in my area, that it all he uses, but he has the set. I bought a selection myself, but find my Havolin knife does all his will do except cut thru deep meat, then I pull out my victorinox, which is all I use in the kitchen.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Same here !

To each there own !

years ago i gots one of those at costgo. it was a freeby if i bought a liter of jim beam.
it's spent its life on my reloading bench

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by gunzo

Yeah, I have a pile of Mora's & now liking the $17 Cold Steel Pendleton Lite, even if it does say Taiwan or wherever.

FWIW,

I've owed the CS RoachBelly, Pendelton lite Hunter and the Canadian Belt knife.

at one time it was my "pack knife"

Of the three my fav is the CBK, one of which rides in the side pocket, driver's side, rear door of my Ford Expedition to this day.

IIRC, The Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter was named Field and Stream "Best of the Best" in 2010.

ya!

GWB

same knife i use, just wish i could find a good sheath.. i hate hard plastic sheaths

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
works good for gutting deer and pigs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Same here !

To each there own !

years ago i gots one of those at costgo. it was a freeby if i bought a liter of jim beam.
it's spent its life on my reloading bench

Mine knows more about critter innards than most veterinary eggspurts.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have and use a Mora carbon steel model and an Old TImer locking folder. They both are "foundlings" and this really appeals to my Scotch-Irish frugality. I have a few other knives, including a small Buck (Squire?) that was a Christmas gift from my dad, but most are cheapos.

Having said that, I'm glad not everyone is like me. It's good that many folks want to invest in custom knives (or guns, or whatever) because they are helping to keep the knowledge of how to make these items alive. It'd be a shame if the skills it takes to make things one at a time were lost.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.