Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I have built dozens of fixed blade knives, but I cannot carry one in WA state.

WA law:
It is a gross misdemeanor to furtively carry with the intent to conceal any “dagger, “dirk,” or “other dangerous weapon.” There is a circumstance of possession element to “other dangerous weapon” such that it can include, for instance, a paring knife with a three-inch blade.

In addition, any WA local municipality can have stricter [than state] laws.
As one drives on the freeway on a fishing trip in WA, a fish knife will be illegal in many of the towns.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by johnw
GDub,

More pics and info on the G Dukeman knife on the dove breasts, and also the knife in the foxes mouth, if you please. Google failed me on the Dukeman.

My "hard use knives" see maybe 2-4 deer a year. Maybe a few dozen squirrel.

The Benchmade in my ruler pocket is the true hard use knife, for me. Only been used on deer a couple of times, but it goes every where I do.

Pardon the tardy response.

You can find Gary Dukeman on Facebook. There are two Gary Dukemans. He will be the one pictured with a female. You will have to scroll down to 2012 to find pix of his knives on his facebook page. I spoke with him a couple years ago. I'm not sure he makes knives anymore.

An update of a post in regards to Gary Dukeman/Squawsatch Knives.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Years ago(Circa 2012-2014) a fellow who called himself Squawsach posted a picture of a belt knife he had made. I had a Knives of Alaska production belt knife that was almost identical. I thought to myself that it would be nice to have a custom belt knife.

I contacted Mr. Dukeman and asked if he would be interested in making another. I told him that I was a user (at that time I did not know I was a collector) and I was not interested in a “play pretty”, but something that I could use, and described how the knife would be used. We agreed on D2 steel, micarta scales and that he would sharpen about 1 to 1-1/2 inches of the spine toward the point. That way I could also use an upstroke when caping.

A couple months went by and this is what he came up with. I liked it immediately. The scales are fastened with operable socket screws. The scales can be removed for cleaning. The finish should stand up to use. A working knife, just as I’d asked for. I really like the retainer he fashioned for the sheath. Very practical.

Shortly after I acquired the first knife he posted a second knife (well the second one of his that I noticed). It was a modified Canadian/Yukon belt knife that he called an “ Oklahoma Belt Knife”. I liked the shape and thin grind of the blade and the fact that it was D2. I thought it would be a great caper/slicer. I inquired about having one made and Gary said he would sell me the one that he had featured here. I jumped on it.

After it came in I told him that should he engage on another project, to keep me in mind. A bit of time went by and I contacted him once more just to check what he was doing. He told me he was going to make a filet/bird and trout for a fellow. I said, if it’s not too much trouble make two. He did.

All three are different knives, but IMHO the F/B&T is the pick of the litter. Exquisite fit and finish. S30V steel, 416 Stainless corbys and bolster, Rosewood scales. The pix do not do justice.

Gary also made the sheath for these knives.

and as you requested.......

BTW the picture with the breasts were from the sandhill crane below.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/16/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If this is the one you are referencing..........

That would be a "Dirk" courtesy of Gene Ingram.

We were speaking and I asked him if he had anything laying around. Don't remember the exact circumstances but IIRC he sent me pix of this and quoted a price. I said "done", without hesitation.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/16/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GDub

You oughtta get a commission from knife makers.

Had my wife message Dukeman on FB

Gene Ingram's site says he's not taking orders. Seems like it's said that for a few years, now...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I've used a lot of different knives over the years and for the last 15 or 20 years I have used one or the other of the knives I make. Prior to that, I used this Morseth I bought in 1972. It is a very handy size, has a blade shape I really like and holds a great edge even though it's just carbon steel. I don't claim to have anywhere near the experience some of you guys that have killed stuff for a living have. But there is no telling how many game animals and fish this knife has dressed over the years, how many shooting lanes it has helped clear or the miles I have carried it. It has been lost and found several times and gotten more rust on it than I would like to admit. It would easily do it all again. It was about twice the price of a Puma or Buck in 1972, and very well worth the extra cost to me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Awesome blade you have there. I've been looking for a similar one for years. Morseth blades have increased in value quite a bit over the last several years, so I'm having a hard time finding one for a reasonable price. Yours is likely worth between $250.00 - $400.00. Also, I believe Morseth blades are laminated steel, though I don't remember the specifics at the moment.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/17/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I've used a lot of different knives over the years and for the last 15 or 20 years I have used one or the other of the knives I make. Prior to that, I used this Morseth I bought in 1972. It is a very handy size, has a blade shape I really like and holds a great edge even though it's just carbon steel. I don't claim to have anywhere near the experience some of you guys that have killed stuff for a living have. But there is no telling how many game animals and fish this knife has dressed over the years, how many shooting lanes it has helped clear or the miles I have carried it. It has been lost and found several times and gotten more rust on it than I would like to admit. It would easily do it all again. It was about twice the price of a Puma or Buck in 1972, and very well worth the extra cost to me.

Awesome blade you have there. I've been looking for a similar one for years. Morseth blades have increased in value quite a bit over the last several years, so I'm having a hard time finding one for a reasonable price. Yours is likely worth between $250.00 - $400.00. Also, I believe Morseth blades are laminated steel, though I don't remember the specifics at the moment.

High Noon, this Model was called their Ozark Hunter. It is made with the laminated steel. Softer steel sides with a hard steel center. I never knew what kinds of steel make up the blade. It was made shortly after A. G. Russel purchased Morseth.

I'm not certain what has happened with Morseth since Mr Russell passed away a few years ago. In recent years they had begun making knives of stainless steel and I'm not sure if the laminated blades were still available.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Not sure of the validity of this but I seem to remember reading that AG, used up Morseth's remaining stock (blade blanks) to make the knives he sold. I remember well drooling over them in the AG Russell catalog. I should have purchased one when I had the chance.

You have a good one there, use it well.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/17/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]I think that’s probably the coolest Ingram design I’ve ever seen.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine in Texas made this one for me, I have forgotten how many deer it has helped with, not to mention my two elk. (You know him DD, Clay) I got to design it just like I wanted it.

Good stuff this one.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw

Gene Ingram's site says he's not taking orders. Seems like it's said that for a few years, now...

First I’d seen it. Dated earlier this month. He retiring? That will save me $300+ a year. Got one left on his books. Guess I better make it a good one.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I can cape, skin, gut, bone or dress anything with 4 legs with a $25 knife.
Call me frugal, cheap or whatever you want.
I ain't paying hundreds of dollars for a status symbol.

Isn't this is a case of; it's more about the indian than the arrow? With a career of cutting meat for a living, I would expect you to would know how to cut muscle and tendon that minimize the contact of the blade against edge rolling skin and bone, as well as edge dressing on the fly when necessary.

For most of us civilians, well made S30V, D2, A2, VG10, etc, $25.00+ knives are more forgiving of our inexperience and incomplete knowledge of meat supporting, structural anatomy.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (338Rules, 300_savage, 308xray, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 17,070 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,173
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.