[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .458 Winchester Magnum deniers say that deer hunting with the .458 WM is merely practice for bouncing bullets off of dangerous game.
480-grain/.458-cal. FN cast bullets slowed down to 1300 fps will pass through bison like a hot knife through butter.
Saint Bagwell tells us so.
500-grain jacketed bullets at 2000 fps will make bloody big holes in anything requiring it, according to Saint Aagaard.
Saint Aagaard also said that the old 400-gr X-Bullet at 2300 fps did as well or better than any 500-gr jacketed bullet.
Just sayin'.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Sir Bulkie,

My CH4D Canntool handled .510-caliber quite easily.
Old Barnes Original 600-gr/.510 were beautified nicely with it.
Maybe I have a new and improved model or mine just doesn't realize it is not supposed to do that ?

Just checked the CH4D website , .17 to 45 caliber .

click on me CH4D cannelure tool

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My arrow is the 485'ish Grain FN Cast bullet leaving the barrel 1750ish. All those "Factory" Heart shot pictures are too low in my book but your Red line, Black dot and Yellow circle match where my PCH or duplex reticle comes to rest on deer or elk. A bit low and I still get the heart. A bit high and I've got Bone flying through the lungs in front of that big Flat Nose.
Took the old Girl out a couple of days ago and put 3 in one cloverleaf hole at 50 sitting over sticks, backed up to 150 and put the other 5 just below them in a 2" group over same sticks. Out to 250 or so, it's hold on the middle hair and get the knife ready. At 300 I have to think about it a bit.
Wiped the bore with Marvel Mystery Oil on a two patches and hung her upside down on her favorite hook. She's ready.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Bulkie,

I had previously looked there and saw the image and read this:

This popular tool will roll a cannelure groove on any jacketed bullet from 17 to 45 caliber.
Completely adjustable for depth and height. One setting will produce thousands of bullets.
Also useful for making a second cannelure to lock the core to the jacket to control expansion of hunting bullets.
Precision machined throughout. The cutting wheel is hardened to 59C Rockwell, so it will never wear out!

Image is wrong, and the caliber-capability range might need updating too:

[Linked Image]

Dang ! If mine is right-handed, then the "old" one is left-handed, which is something I had not noticed before !
Here is my model from CH4D that has the beefed-up lever and is .51-caliber capable:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Above has been presented previously. Brass on left above is for .510/.338 Lapua Magnum Improved.
(Brass on right is .400 Whelen-B for next batch of bullets.)
Some who have owned the Corbin canneluring tool liked the CH4D better, they say it is better built, more stoutly constructed.
Since my CH4D is required for no more than .51-caliber canneluring, I am happy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fury01
My arrow is the 485'ish Grain FN Cast bullet leaving the barrel 1750ish ... She's ready.

Sir Dennis is ready for anything, I'd say.
Kills like magic alright !
If I didn't have a few more Buffalo Bore factory loads to fire, I'd be using cast lead FN bullets too.
I am allowed three "antlerless" to finish my bag for the year.
Will try to do my part to prevent mayhem on the highways.
Birth control on both sexes is required.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sir Bulkie,

I had previously looked there and saw the image and read this:

This popular tool will roll a cannelure groove on any jacketed bullet from 17 to 45 caliber.
Completely adjustable for depth and height. One setting will produce thousands of bullets.
Also useful for making a second cannelure to lock the core to the jacket to control expansion of hunting bullets.
Precision machined throughout. The cutting wheel is hardened to 59C Rockwell, so it will never wear out!

Image is wrong, and the caliber-capability range might need updating too:

[Linked Image]

Dang ! If mine is right-handed, then the "old" one is left-handed, which is something I had not noticed before !
Here is my model from CH4D that has the beefed-up lever and is .51-caliber capable:

[Linked Image]

Above has been presented previously. Brass on left above is for .510/.338 Lapua Magnum Improved.
(Brass on right is .400 Whelen-B for next batch of bullets.)
Some who have owned the Corbin canneluring tool liked the CH4D better, they say it is better built, more stoutly constructed.
Since my CH4D is required for no more than .51-caliber canneluring, I am happy.

.500 " diameter is the largest I need also ... I almost bought a " lovingly used " one on FleaBay ( $80 ) but didn't due to the factory specifications stating 45 caliber being the largest it would accommodate . Yes , they need to update that one little tid-bit .

Corbin tool w/ shipping + $210 delivered to my door . I am very satisfied . I check the size and locations of the cannelures on a optical comparator @ 25X .... Very consistent . However , that extra $120 in my pocket would have been glorious .

I learned to reload 35 years ago on a CH press with CH dies .

I still make my own practice bullets on the CH Swag-o-Matic .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you are welcome Sir Ron . I might have to brake out the 458 WM short aka 45/70 this year to hunt tree rats

😁😁

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Allen,
I have been wanting to find an accurate, single-ball, squib load for the .458 WM and .45-70.
We have all kinds of 3000 to 6000 ft-lbs loads with 250-gr to 600-gr bullets of all types for DGR us.
We use velocities from Mach 1 to near Mach 3.
The next frontier is to make some subsonic small game loads.
Stay tuned.
I am thinking maybe a single .36-caliber lead ball in a .45-caliber sabot.
Or a near-bore-diameter lead ball (.45") wrapped in paper or Teflon tape.
So, a slower twist .45-70 (1:20" or 1:18") might be better than the 1:14" .458 WM.
We'll see.

Also, using the Speer plastic shot capsules for .45 Long Colt:
Stack two of those filled with No. 9 shot, one seated deep and one seated shallow.
That will allow the .458 WM+ to compete with the .458 Lott as a garden gun.
Garden gun use is the only area of superiority of the .458 Lott at present.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ron
Push a paper patched ball that will be tight in the bore down into the case over some Blue Dot kind of powder that achieves 1200 fps and I’m pretty sure you will find what you want. We used 10 and 15 thousands patching in our 45 muzzle loaders and around 40 grains of ffg for match shooting. Twist in the one we had was 1/24. Secret to making it work was slowing it down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Dennis,
Paper-patched lead ball and Blue Dot: I like that idea a lot.
I will do that soon as I finish pestering the deer herd on next two weekends.
I am letting some other hunters have the run of the farm except on Sat & Sun.
Gives my old bones time to recover between episodes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smallfry
He done leaked out fast.

Yes, bled promptly, the meat was tasty for a mature buck in the rut.
I saute'ed some diced tenderloin with onions and mushrooms for my supper tonight.
It was to die for, said the buck.

smallfry, you have shown excellent judgement on the .450 Rigby thread.
It deserves recognition by membership in the Knights of the .458 Winchester Magnum Brotherhood.
Choose your sir name please.

That thread does have some interesting material that could be quoted here,
to harken back to the days when the .458 WinMag needed defending.
Much has been debunked since then.

Recognizing the greatness of the .458 WinMag does not have to be a chilling effect on commerce.
Sure, it may sometimes stifle the sale of a lesser known .458-caliber rifle and ammunition,
but it also spurs the proliferation of rifles for the .458 WinMag and its ammunition and components.
And one can still own and play with all the others too.
Have your cake and eat it too.
I like your idea of turning an FN/SC/Portugal M70 .338 WinMag into a .458 WinMag.
Now that I have realized it only takes an unblocking of the rear of the magazine and a shortening of the bolt-stop-ejector,
I will do that too, soon as the GUNSMITH gets caught up on his backlog, for I have a .500 Jeffery languishing there at the
GUNSHOP & SPA FOR WAYWARD RIFLES.
That one is just for fun, not a serious rifle like any .458 WinMag is.
I need the GUNSMITH to re-barrel the M70 .338 to .458 WinMag.
I can do the magazine unblocking and bolt-stop-ejector shortening myself if need be.
Even a late model .30-06 M70 can be used by adding on the bolt face enlargement by GUNSMITH.
No milling of action bridge needed for up to 3.6" COL.

Sir Ron, thank you. I’ve always had a soft spot for the 458 Win mag, it was my second centerfire rifle cartridge when I was a kid. I had a pushfeed M70 and used it on everything when I lived in AK. I would like to build another and having no real love for the 338 I figured it would make a good donor. I will just have to decide on a finished diameter for my contour and sights.
Sir smallfry

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Sir Ron,

I have some .454 soft lead balls that I have put aside for use for potential squib or double/triple ball loads in a .454 Casull lever action and in my .458 Win. I plan to powder coat them twice to see if I can get them to .457" or .458," which still might be too small. I don't have a sizer to bump them up to .459" or so.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
They would be just fine for a twisted paper patch jacket I would think.
Sure worth a try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sir Ron that sounds like something that I will like to do . I will keep ya'll in formed

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I disagree ! And I've killed at least 28 deer with the 458 Winchester.
Head or high neck or double lung from broadside. Those are good impacts on deer with a 458.
In my experience.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

smile

Wouldn’t the best place to shoot a deer with a 458 be the double lung do to people flinching ?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

Trick is , don't flinch. I know, easier said than done much of the time.
The secret is to shoot the 458 a LOT. 🤔😁
Not just going out and blazing away till a box of ammo is gone and a guy wants nothing to do with the rifle.
It also helps if the only rifle a guy owns is a 458 Winchester and he's broke and actually Needs to get meat.
Plus it helps if on occasion a guy Has to shoot for his life. That puts a little recoil into perspective. My current and forever 458 I have in the neighborhood of 2,000 rounds of mostly full power or factory or above old book ammo thru. It's killed a bunch of deer in my hands and 1 in a friend's hands.
My favorite deer load in the 458 is ( I have to admit it ) WW 510 gr factory ammo. The sub 2,000 fps stuff. With the big blue lead nose. It also works Great for dumping brown bear up close if needed. It's mostly just nostalgia why I like that load so much for deer. But also , it's easy on the meat. No blood shocked and ruined venison. Just don't hit any big bones with it !

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Hell of a deal on that buck Sir Ron! nice job Sir, i have the same in mind with the mighty 458 WM+

Sir Jerry,
Your 450-grain TSX load at 2418 fps from your .458 WM+ Beauty will no doubt leave a good blood trail
from whatever angle you hit the vitals.
I look forward to your images of dead deer.

I stopped by the local emporium and there was a Happy Hunter getting the disembodied head of his buck B&C scored.
I overheard that it went 150-yards after being shot with a .300 WinMag and there was no blood trail initially,
though the buck was "double lunged" or shot through both lungs with a handloaded 180-gr TSX.
It ran about 50 yards then turned 90 degrees and then started bleeding on ground for another 100 yards.
Happy Hunter kindly texted me a couple of images of his deer on the spot at my request.
There was an exit wound, through rib cage with no shoulder bone or heart hits.
The deer was shot at close range, 60 to 70 yards.
Happy Hunter estimated the weight was about 180 pounds on the hoof.
I "unofficially" measured the rack outside spread and it was a hair over 20 inches (B&C uses inside spread, IIRC).
It had a very symetrical 8-point set of antlers.

The.458 WM+ will more likely make that blood trail start right where the deer was standing when hit.
The blood trail length may be zero yards long, or more, that's as precise as I can predict.

Sir Ron, you bet, i have four deer tags left over in Arkansas, i hit a nice 8pt with Saint Bagwell cut paper patches wrapped around a 475gr bullet from my 44-77 last Thursday, 60 yard shot in the clearcut, in left shoulder out right ribs, DRT, i cast these bullets soft at 40/1 alloy after thinking about what Digital Dan said and speaking with Kirk at Shiloh, if i head after heavier game i can certainly cast harder, all that said and four tags left, i'm headed to tag out tomorrow with the mighty 458 WM+, it's going to be a tough daylight to dark hunt, i'll report the outcome, one buck and three doe await the 450gr TSX's you gave me, 2400+ fps will give me a three hundred yard reach.

Trump Won!
Page 66 of 201 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 200 201

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.