Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 35 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 34 35
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by OldHat
As a church we are told to fellowship with other believers.

"Where two or more are gathered..."
That does not take away the flexibility to choose who that other/others can be.
I'm pretty selective, after years of trial and error.
Most often it is only me and Mother Nature enjoying "full communion" with the Spirit.
Any place. Any time.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
That does not take away the flexibility to choose who that other/others can be. I'm pretty selective, after years of trial and error. Most often it is only me and Mother Nature enjoying "full communion" with the Spirit. Any place. Any time.
Awesome post. And I can definitely relate.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I get the idea that these guys worship a book more than Jesus.

LOL. Good point, but on the other hand, we would know very little if anything about Jesus were it not for the Bible. But just like a gun, it can be misused.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by WTM45
That does not take away the flexibility to choose who that other/others can be. I'm pretty selective, after years of trial and error. Most often it is only me and Mother Nature enjoying "full communion" with the Spirit. Any place. Any time.
Awesome post. And I can definitely relate.

Ya, when I walk out into the wilderness I leave all the idiots behind expect one, myself... everyone else present are cool and that improves the intelligent factor of the group, exponentially...

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Also brings up an interesting point... why was the original text segmented into verse?

How does that change the way it's read and taught, how does it change the original intent as written?

Was the old testament in verse when Jesus referenced it in his teachings?

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
LOL. Good point, but on the other hand, we would know very little if anything about Jesus were it not for the Bible. But just like a gun, it can be misused.
Good point, but by that same notion, we would know very little about science were it not for science books. But that doesn’t negate the science itself, that doesn’t make the science books nearly as important as the science itself, not even close. And it most certainly doesn’t make the science books the ‘foundation’ of science. The science doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the science books; the science books exist ‘because of’ the science. The science is a reality no matter what, regardless of the science books. The science would ‘still’ exist even if there were no science books.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How do you decide which verse to accept as Holy Scripture and which ones you do not accept.
The ones that make sense and are congruent.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
It's usually better to stay in context rather than single verse.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Exactly which verse or verses do you claim contradict Jesus?
Read Matthew 5 particularly 16 through 18 and see if you can reconcile Paul and Jesus. There is way more nutty stuff in those Paul writings but start on that. I've read a good bit of Paul or whoever wrote that but I've given up trying to find any harmony between his doctrine and Jesus. Obviously like almost all perjurers he does inject some truth into his story.

Your specific scriptural example is demonstrably false. The important point is that you have nothing of substance that supports your position. You again go into vague claims with no substance.
Huh?

Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by krp
The question of spirituality can be explained about as easily as defining God, God's infinite, the definition would take eternity. Same with the Holy Spirit... God just is, the Spirit just is... just plain elementary faith.

Obviously Jesus talks about the flesh and spirit, you can also observe Jesus's interaction.

There's life lessons, like why a Dalai Lama goes to the mountain top, and Jesus went into the wilderness... instead of the mall, Temple, Church. Jesus removed himself from worldly distractions as much as possible, John the Baptist removed himself seeking the spirit.

It's much easier to recognize the Holy Spirit in others, than be able to tune out the world at times and see the Holy Spirit in yourself. To create that relationship... the Holy Spirit is 'our' communication with God, one of the reason Jesus came was to introduce us to this fact.

Religion is of this world, the physical world. Yes there is strength in numbers against worldly threats, But the spirit is individual, your relationship with God isn't a seminar.

If you feel you are to much in this world and not enough in the spirit... seek the wilderness.

Kent

You have a gift in understanding... and explanation to others.

I encourage you to never cease speaking this understanding.

You know, I had these thoughts as a child, then teenager and young man. I didn't read these from someone else, I take all the blame. They didn't come from anywhere special... riding my bike daily on my paper route, doing the chores out at the corrals, out hunting, fishing. I have felt the Holy Spirit since before I was old enough to know the name. I had never been lonely but often alone.

At 14 I was being groomed for the ministry, attending seminary classes from the Doctorates of the church, I had already read the bible straight through once. During classes I naively would question what was taught as truth and offer a different position... I was discouraged and reprimanded, at that age I didn't challenge authority. Obviously I didn't pursue the ministry, I won't preach untruths, half truths.

I just went quiet in my mid 20s, later in life my younger sister asked why I didn't believe in God anymore. I told her of my personal relationship with Christ and the Holy Spirit within and it had nothing to do with going to church, I talked for a couple hours. She told me to never write a book, if I was wrong I'd take a lot of people to hell... so I went quiet again.

Some years later again that sister asked me if I've ever read the new testament straight through. I said yes twice by 18... she said I can't believe what Paul wrote, when you read it straight through it's really bad. This from an extremely devout Christian. I asked her if she remembers our conversation years prior, she thought and said, some of it, so we had another long talk.

I'm to old to be rebuked anymore, I'm done listening to mealy mouthed christians misrepresenting Christ and his message.

I have another message.

Kent

Thanks for sharing your message Kent.
My faith and experience are somewhat similar to yours.
To be in touch with the spirit one needs to leave the noise behind. There's way too much noise in this thread.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
One mechanism of the Marxists is to destroy the soul of a society. This is done in several ways including destruction of the family and religion; destruction of the core cultural elements that define common purpose and unity.

As I read the religious threads on the campfire and consider how many people have jettisoned the church and organized religion I can’t help but wander if this is the result of a concerted effort by the Marxist.

Is this a view that has been progressing since Marxists began their hard advance in this country after WWII?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I think organized religion is as big of a crock of schit as I think Marxism is.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When I needed help, I went to ministers, ang people I knew went to church.

What do you think of that?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IZH27
One mechanism of the Marxists is to destroy the soul of a society. This is done in several ways including destruction of the family and religion; destruction of the core cultural elements that define common purpose and unity.

As I read the religious threads on the campfire and consider how many people have jettisoned the church and organized religion I can’t help but wander if this is the result of a concerted effort by the Marxist.

Is this a view that has been progressing since Marxists began their hard advance in this country after WWII?

Yeah, blame the Marxists. Were there Marxists present at the Salem witch trials, or the inquisitions?
It doesn't take a Marxist to drive people away form the know-it-all, holier-than-thou, my interpretation of the Bible is right - yours is wrong, my religion is the only true religion types.

Last edited by NVhntr; 11/19/21.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have always considered myself a Christian, that's how I was raised. That's why I became a Christian. My parents determined my religion.
Had I been raised in India I would probably be a Hindu.
Had I been raised in Egypt I would probably be a Muslim.
Had I been raised in Japan I would probably be a Buddhist or a Shinto.

I do not believe that being a Christian is the only path to Heaven.
I do not believe that going to Heaven is predicated on how well versed you are in the Bible.

It is estimated that only 7% of the people who have lived on earth were or are Christians.
Do you really believe that Heaven is denied the other 93%?
I really couldn't believe that God is that inefficient.

The label you wear is less important than the life you live.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Good point, but by that same notion, we would know very little about science were it not for science books. But that doesn’t negate the science itself, that doesn’t make the science books nearly as important as the science itself, not even close. And it most certainly doesn’t make the science books the ‘foundation’ of science. The science doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the science books; the science books exist ‘because of’ the science. The science is a reality no matter what, regardless of the science books. The science would ‘still’ exist even if there were no science books.

Absolutely agree.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IZH27
As I read the religious threads on the campfire and consider how many people have jettisoned the church and organized religion…
…I understand completely why so many people wouldn’t want to be a part of a group whose most vocal proponents come across as holier than thou, judgmental, hypocritical, bigoted, spiteful, polar opposite of Jesus, legalistic, homophobic moralists who think they are the only ones goin’ to heaven, and relish the notion that everyone else is going to hell.

I don’t blame anyone for walkin’ away from the church and organized religion due to the above; because they're 'on' to it, they see right through it, and consequently they want nothing to do with it.

And the most vocal proponents of the church and organized religion will not take any responsibility for it, they relieve themselves of any accountability for it. They’ll instead blame their failure on anything or anyone other than themselves.

They’ll blame it on Marxists, or they’ll blame it on homosexuals, or they’ll blame it on the unchurched, or they’ll blame it on the disenfranchised; and then they’ll justify it with a cherry-picked Bible verse. And then when person after person after person tells them that they’re pushing more people away from Jesus than Satan himself does, they’ll justify that too with a cherry-picked Bible verse.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I don't get it either, how can the church decline, looking at the draw of HC and oldhat, it should be standing room only.

Kent

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I have always considered myself a Christian, that's how I was raised. That's why I became a Christian. My parents determined my religion.
Had I been raised in India I would probably be a Hindu.
Had I been raised in Egypt I would probably be a Muslim.
Had I been raised in Japan I would probably be a Buddhist or a Shinto.

I do not believe that being a Christian is the only path to Heaven.
I do not believe that going to Heaven is predicated on how well versed you are in the Bible.

It is estimated that only 7% of the people who have lived on earth were or are Christians.
Do you really believe that Heaven is denied the other 93%?
I really couldn't believe that God is that inefficient.

The label you wear is less important than the life you live.

You sound like Thomas Paine..............and that's a good thing. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
I don't get it either, how can the church decline, looking at the draw of HC and oldhat, it should be standing room only.Kent
Maybe they should listen to Jesus. Jesus himself in Matthew 23:15 "Woe to you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you compass the sea and land to make one convert; and when he is made , ye make him twice the child of hell than yourselves".

Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Page 29 of 35 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 51 invisible), 17,949 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,955
Posts18,539,564
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.