Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mach3: I would NEVER under ANY circumstance intentionally shoot a Deer (Elk or Antelope) "high in the shoulder"!
I have seen Deer, Elk and Antelope that other people have "shot high in the shoulder" and the results are disgusting and wasteful.
PERIOD!
If a person has time to "shoot a Deer high in the shoulder" then that person has time to correctly shoot said Deer in the heart/lungs avoiding the shoulders and the wastefulness of that.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I’ve done it and sure enough they lock up and fall over like flipping a table, I audibly laughed the first time I saw it…. Pretty funny.

but it did damage more meat so I shifted to neck shots for the most part….

Now if I’be not been shooting enough- or don’t trust the firearm, I do what Varmint guy doesn’t and center on the vitals.. smile

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/21/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mach3: I would NEVER under ANY circumstance intentionally shoot a Deer (Elk or Antelope) "high in the shoulder"!
I have seen Deer, Elk and Antelope that other people have "shot high in the shoulder" and the results are disgusting and wasteful.
PERIOD!
If a person has time to "shoot a Deer high in the shoulder" then that person has time to correctly shoot said Deer in the heart/lungs avoiding the shoulders and the wastefulness of that.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Lighten up Francis.

High shoulder 4 life!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by wink_man
I don't like to waste meat so I always try for right behind the shoulder through the lungs.

Shot a doe like that yesterday morning with my Jambomatic in .308, destroyed the lungs and the top of the heart, she ran about 30 feet and dropped.

Did it jam? Mb

It hasn't yet, still waiting for it to happen.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I slip it right behind the shoulder....no way I'm wasting meat for absolutely no reason.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's a good shot, if you've got it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been on my hands & knees crawling through prickly pear, mesquite following a virtually no existent blood trail in the Texas hill country. Kept a lookout for rattlesnake the whole time. No thanks. High shoulder shot for me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the deer does not present a high shoulder shot, do you pass on the deer?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the major advantages of "monolithic" bullets, such as the Barnes TTSX and a bunch of others, is they "waste" almost no meat, even with the high shoudler/spine shot, yet drop 'em right there. This is because they don't fragment nearly as much as lead-cored bullets.

Apparently many hunters still haven't realized this, because they've only used the same bullets for decades. The other factor, which is also obvious after somebody's used monos is that you can use a significantly smaller bullet, which will still kill very well (especially with the high shoulder shot), yet ruin very little meat.

A good example would be the pronghorn my wife killed on opening day here in Montana. She shot it through the shoulders at 200 yards with a 70-grain Hornady GMX from a .22-250, started at 3300 fps. This would ruin a LOT of meat with a typical lead-cored bullet, but the antelope dropped right there--and we lost maybe 2-3 ounces of meat.

But whatever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I take whatever reasonable shot I’m offered. Dead is dead and little bit of lost meat if far preferable to losing an entire animal.

On the mono metal bullet theme, I prefer them for hunting when I can get them. Sadly they are really hard to find now.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
PERIOD!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I`d 10X over purposefully ruin shoulder or neck meat rather than the heart. I do tend to aim for forward lungs though if the right shot is presented that will take the lungs out but not the heart.

Most "ruined" meat is just superficial surface jello anyhow, unless frangible bullets at high speed or bone shrapnel is involved.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the major advantages of "monolithic" bullets, such as the Barnes TTSX and a bunch of others, is they "waste" almost no meat, even with the high shoudler/spine shot, yet drop 'em right there. This is because they don't fragment nearly as much as lead-cored bullets.

Apparently many hunters still haven't realized this, because they've only used the same bullets for decades. The other factor, which is also obvious after somebody's used monos is that you can use a significantly smaller bullet, which will still kill very well (especially with the high shoulder shot), yet ruin very little meat.

A good example would be the pronghorn my wife killed on opening day here in Montana. She shot it through the shoulders at 200 yards with a 70-grain Hornady GMX from a .22-250, started at 3300 fps. This would ruin a LOT of meat with a typical lead-cored bullet, but the antelope dropped right there--and we lost maybe 2-3 ounces of meat.

But whatever....

I’ve been a slow starter on the monos but was pleasantly surprised when a 120 TSX in a 7mm-08 broke both shoulder bones of a 150 lb buck and did not destroy the surrounding flesh. Didn’t mean to put it there and knew I was a little forward when I shot. But as MD says, it sure works. Next deer was a doe that was hit with meat in mind at the rear of the shoulder, no bone. 50 yd dash and done. Many of you have more stories than I but I’m sold.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mach3
This should be a fun discussion. I've never had a deer take one step when putting a hole through them in the high shoulder area with any of my rifles. Always straight down to the dirt and DRT.

Where does everyone else like to hit 'em?

Lots of factors left out on your part. Location, hunt conditions, shooting over bait, from a blind, etc…

I have no idea what your experience level is. Your question leads me to assume it’s limited and location specific.

For me high shoulder works, but is not a one size fits all solution to shooting deer

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It's true about the heart. Right up there with tenderloin around here. I don't know anyone who eats the lights, though.

The family favors the shoulder shot. The kids are strictly limited to broadside on calm animals. I take the first make-able shot presented on older bucks.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hillestadj
[quote=VarmintGuy]Mach3: I would NEVER under ANY circumstance intentionally shoot a Deer (Elk or Antelope) "high in the shoulder"!
PERIOD!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Lighten up Francis.

High shoulder 4 life!
———————————

laugh laugh laugh

Hear! Hear !

PREferred doesn’t mean ONLY.
Center neck is just as reliable, deadly & instant.

I specified ‘spine”’ In my post.
Spine is above the shoulder meat.

“sheesh” whistle whistle to you VG.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always try my very best to put it in the front half. If it happens to be high shoulder I’m good with it. I absolutely crushed a buck yesterday with a shot through both shoulders. I was pleasantly surprised at the minimal amount of meat lost considering it was relatively close range with a 130 Scirocco at warp speed out of my 270Wby. And like Tinman says, I’d way rather lose some shoulder that’s to be canned or ground than the heart.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have done high shoulder it drops them with any adequate for deer caliber. About like shooting them in the head.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Preferred for me depends on where I'm hunting. If I walked in going up the mountain (majority of the time) I really like lung shot deer. If I walked in going down the mountain I'm a HUGE fan of the high shoulder shot.

Regardless of what I prefer, the shot I get is what I take...time is very limited and in most cases if I don't take the first clean, ethical shot there won't be another chance. Last two weeks have been hard quartering to me angles. One from the ground shooting up the mountain, one from a stand shooting down the mountain. I'm using cup/core and in both cases the near side shoulder was pretty ugly on damage.

I should probably give more TTSX bullets a try. I've really only used them in .224 calibers. Cup/core's have been good to me but I can see where the trade off and less bloodshot meat on shoulder shot deer would be a pro for the TTSX.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hit a mule deer doe at approximately 212 yards with a 140 AB high shoulder shot out of 7mm-08. She was dead before she hit the ground. No blood or anything. No tacking either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's my preferred shot. I will gladly give up that 5# of silver skin and connective tissue infested meat for no tracking in a wooly ass creek bottom or having a deer cross a creek. And no I don't pass if all I have is a standard lung shot, I just shoot em like I would with a bow and watch em run for 30-50 yards wondering how far into the bottoms or down in a ravine this ordeal is going to take me.

Plus like others have said I get to keep the heart for slicing and frying, liver too even though that doesn't get messed up with a lung shot.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/22/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.