Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Going on a .338wm so need tough and reliable. Will be used in harsh conditions. Will dial on occasion but not regularly. Still want reliable tracking and RTZ. Capped turrets are ok. Regular plex reticle is a must.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Going on a .338wm so need tough and reliable. Will be used in harsh conditions. Will dial on occasion but not regularly. Still want reliable tracking and RTZ. Capped turrets are ok. Regular plex reticle is a must.

With those stipulations I would go nightforce SHV 3-10 with forceplex and not worry about the loss on the top end.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ll be watching this thread for the opinions. I’ve been using a 338wm for almost all of my hunting for the last 14 years. I started with an Leupold VXII1.75-6 and then went to a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 about a year later. It’s been on and off ever since with out issue. I don’t dial for hunting distance. I’ll rarely even shoot out to 250 yds. The only time I even use the higher magnification is at the range.

Cool build you are going into! Keep us posted.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42 Precision Hunter that has been on a custom Smokeless muzzleloader for the last 7 years or so and has several hundred rounds through it. The recoil is pretty substantial and I was nervous about the scope holding up. I do dial with it and it continues to track perfectly. I bought it when Europtic had a too good to pass up sale on them and the scope has thoroughly impressed me. My other pick would be the Nightforce SHV that was recommended above.

https://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-bender-precision-hunter-3-12x42-p3-mildot-rifle-scope.aspx

Last edited by jdunham; 11/21/21.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The regular Plex reticle is somewhat limiting. But, with it being a factor, I'd give another vote for the 3-10 shv NF. I have 1 on a .338 that has killed 3 scopes, and it's still tracking and rtz after about 200 rounds, which is, admittedly, a small sample size. I also have dialed on it and other SHV's quite a bit without a hiccup. 10x is plenty for anything you'd point a .338 at, and if you want to use any of the subtensions on a SFP Duplex for additional aiming points and wind holds, I personally don't care to be constrained to be over 10x anyway. Too much X with a SFP can be a liability on game.

If you'd like to expand your reticle choice, You could try to find a used Bushnell LRHS 3-12. More purpose built for long range, it has an FFP that is usable throughout the X range.

Last edited by Starbuck; 11/21/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would anyone want to saddle themselves with a plex reticle if they plan on dialling, if only 'occasionally'?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a 3-12x44 Zeiss Conquest. Never had it on a .338 but it’s been perfect for 3 years. Dialed it to 1k on a .308 and then verified at 100. Came right back. I would not hesitate to put it on any .338 I have owned or shot.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Find yourself a used Bushnell LRTS 3-12. They pop up from time to time. I have three. Love them all.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This ain’t my first rodeo. I’ve tried many times and just can’t get on board with a busy reticle. I don’t mind some basic wind holds like a Swaro 4w, but that’s it. I want nothing on the vertical. 35+ years of hunting with a plex crosshair and it’s what I like. End of story.

The SHV 3-10 is what I’ve also come up with as the best compromise, but my eyes at the range like a little more than 10x. In the field it’s enough. And yes I am aware of the limitations with fov and SFP at max range.

Has anyone torture tested a Zeiss V4? I have one on a .270, not much of a test tho but it’s been flawless. I also have a V6 on a 7mag that I love, but no V6 in the size I want.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the old dog/new tricks thing is true......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This ain’t my first rodeo. I’ve tried many times and just can’t get on board with a busy reticle. I don’t mind some basic wind holds like a Swaro 4w, but that’s it. I want nothing on the vertical. 35+ years of hunting with a plex crosshair and it’s what I like. End of story.

The SHV 3-10 is what I’ve also come up with as the best compromise, but my eyes at the range like a little more than 10x. In the field it’s enough. And yes I am aware of the limitations with fov and SFP at max range.

Has anyone torture tested a Zeiss V4? I have one on a .270, not much of a test tho but it’s been flawless. I also have a V6 on a 7mag that I love, but no V6 in the size I want.

IME, 2x one way or the other isn't going to make or break your ability to precisely place shots. I've shot some ofy best groups at 500 with SWFA 6X and 3-9. What I've found most important is the size of the target used. I try different sized dots and diamonds for each reticle until I find sizes that make any movement or change of position highly visible.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good point on the target.

Another knock on the SHV is that the tube is so darn short. Going on a long action I am sure to need a rail, which being a stubborn traditionalist, is a bit hard to swallow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine wears a vx3i and has had zero issues. Before that is was a zeiss conquest and before that was a bushnell elite. None lost zero and ive owned this gun for a long time and put many rounds down range

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I put over 1000 miles on mules/horses with a browning A bolt 7 Mag with a Leupold 4x12 AO, Vari X-II Rifle was carried in a scabbard, and the scabbard looked like it had been though the Indian Wars.

The older Burris Signature(made in USA) 3x12's are battle tanks, and they made a Posi-Loc that was bomb proof.

We rode ridges, deer were bedded down on the sunny side of the opposing ridge. Mules always spotted the deer in their beds as they flicked an ear. Shots were 300-450 as a rule, and my 7 mag was sighted in at 1" high at 200, and I knew the holder over out to 500. No deer ever took a step. Elk were shorter range shots.

Last edited by keith; 11/21/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good point on the target.

Another knock on the SHV is that the tube is so darn short. Going on a long action I am sure to need a rail, which being a stubborn traditionalist, is a bit hard to swallow.

I have them mounted on long actions without and special considerations. Warne makes some nice extended bases that will get the job done while preserving a more traditional look.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As well as Leupold dual dovetail rings on this long action Remington 700. You could also use a reverse front base if you wanted to move the scope back some.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve had 2 scopes on my .338wm in the 30 years that I’ve owned it. For the first half of it’s life it wore a Simmons Aetec since that’s what I could afford back then. I put around 500 rounds through that combo over 15+ years and it NEVER missed a beat. It always shot sub MOA and never needed adjustment. One night (early morning) after a big party and band in the barn I was walking to the truck to head to the bunkhouse and I slipped on the ice and landed hard on the scope. I put a big dent in the objective and figured it was toast. The next morning I took it to the “range” on my buds ranch to confirm that I ruined it. First shot dead center bullseye and the next 3 rounds printed a large ragged hole. I was completely amazed that NOTHING was knocked out of whack by that abuse. I hunted that afternoon and shot my elk, killing it with one shot. I didn’t like the dent in the scope so I replaced it with a Leupold VX-II which is still sitting on that rifle. It too has never missed a beat, never needed to be re-zeroed or faltered in anyway but it’s only had maybe 250 rounds and thousands of miles on it by truck, airplanes, hiking, horseback, ATV and snowmachine. While I have many more scopes that are much more expensive I ain’t fixing something that ain’t broke so it’ll keep getting used. That rifle doesn’t get dialed so that isn’t a concern, holding zero under all conditions is however and that combo has done it in spades for the last decade+.

A guy that knew me well bought the Aetec off me and put it on his .338wm. He died unexpectedly a few years ago and I don’t know what happened to the scope but as of his passing I know that he had total faith in a dented Aetec and his .338.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for those pics of the SHV mounted. Very helpful!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
SDHNTR, I think those are medium height rings, I did have to grind a little off the top of the back of the rear base for the power ring to clear. Of course I could have used high rings, but I wanted the scope mounted as low as possible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (Amos63, 7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.