Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Insurance company would love that idea......lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ted, all kinds of whitetail. More here on the rez than off.

Does feed all day long out in the open on our hay fields. Not uncommon to see 30-50 in a bunch.

Bucks....not so much....lol

Geno, we let local guys hunt but they gotta walk, no vehicles.

I've tried to get 'em to shoot does but it's a tough sell.

Dwayne, happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Rez life....it's different.

But we get along.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FFS,

how far they gotta walk to get a doe or two?

And it's a riverbottom, no? Not like it's a scree slope or boulder field.

Sheesh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Geno, just sounds like a crazy idea.

Half the acres of our local rez is privately owned but no way in hell would I attempt to run a game farm here.
(or anywhere...)

I bet they have guys patrolling and fixing fence 24/7.

Ya.....I have been on a lot of Reservations.....the Northern Cheyenne, Rocky Boy, Wind River, Blackfeet. Not a deer to be seen other than the Flathead. I couldn't imagine Fort Peck being ANY better.

You haven't looked very hard then. I have lived on two of those reservations, Wind River and Fort Peck, and there were definitely sufficient deer for hunting.

Was married to an enrolled member of the Fort Peck Reservation and could legally hunt there--and did for several years with her grandfather, a noted hunter. Could always find sufficient deer to fill the freezer, even though it was a period with miserable winters, one getting as cold as -58.

Have also hunted on other reservations in the general region, from Montana to Nebraska, after buying a license, for animals from deer to upland birds. The hunting was always at least as good as areas outside the reservations, and sometimes better.

That said, I would not attempt to run a "game farm" on a reservation--but then would not run a "game farm" anywhere.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno, short walk, deer everywhere.

We had mule deer does last night in front of my house, in town.

It's all about the buck pics on Facebook. Meat hunters are few and far between.

Lost track of how many headless deer I've found over the years.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

Hope you, Eileen, and any four legged critters in the family had a great Thanksgiving Day.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd drive up there to shoot does and have a few beers.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I'd drive up there to shoot does and have a few beers.

Kind of what I was thinking.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Down here in Dixie you can't even keep a whitetail in a fenced enclosure...

In Alabama, keeping a wild animal as a pet is illegal - and not too smart
Updated: Mar. 28, 2019, 12:51 p.m. | Published: Feb. 27, 2011, 3:40 p.m.

By Michael C. Bolton
Fawn-0227-11.jpgA fawn is really cute, but it has no place in a human family. (The Birmingham News file / Joe Songer)
It seems harmless enough. You find what appears to be a helpless abandoned fawn in a meadow. Your first instinct is one of compassion. You take the helpless creature home with you and feed it and take care of it. You name it Bambi, of course, and your friends marvel at what an incredible pet it will be.

Over the past 25 years I've witnessed dozens of well-meaning people make pets of deer, raccoons, gray squirrels, flying squirrels, skunks and other wildlife. I visited a couple that had a female deer living inside their home, another that had a small buck that followed their kids around like a dog.

These stories rarely have fairy tale endings. One family had a fawn killed inside their home by the family dog. Another had a fawn killed in their yard by neighborhood dogs. Others have been forced to take deer away and release them after they became too aggressive. Others have been bitten by seemingly tame raccoons and squirrels.

A wise person talking about keeping wild animals as pets once said that ego plus denial equals death. That may seem a little dramatic, but maybe not. A recent incident in Cleburne County could have had fatal consequences. A 12-year-old boy that had a raised a buck from a fawn in a backyard enclosure was attacked by that buck. The boy was hospitalized with serious puncture wounds.

No amount of human kindness and loving can turn a wild animal into something other than what it is. Owners of such "pets" are often shocked when the animal turns on them, using a behavior that is the animal's normal behavior. Wild animals have short memories when it comes to how kindly that they have been treated by humans.

Keeping native wildlife as pets has been unlawful in Alabama for decades, but it has always been a fairly common practice in rural areas. Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries actually issued permits on a case-by-case basis for anyone keeping wildlife in captivity, but most of those with deer in backyard pens or a squirrel in their home ignored that step.

By 2002 the number of people keeping wildlife in captivity and the problems it was causing was so severe that the state ceased issuing permits. Now, any individual keeping wildlife for any reason is in violation of state law. Only zoos or wildlife exhibits can still receive permits.

White-tailed deer are probably the most commonly illegally kept wildlife in the state and they can be the most dangerous, especially in the case of bucks.

Bucks raised from fawns tend to be peaceful toward their human owner most of the year and likely consider humans one of them. That creates a false sense of security for the human. Certain times of the year it is natural for a buck to fight other bucks and that's when humans are drawn in. Since humans have no antlers or slashing hooves they stand no chance.

If you're considering skirting the law you might want to tune to "Fatal Attractions" on the Animal Planet cable network on Sunday nights at 9 p.m. The show details the lives of humans that have taken in wild animals as pets and the often fatal consequences.

It will make you want to get rid of your goldfish.

Mike Bolton's outdoors column appears on Sundays in The Birmingham News. E-mail him at mboltonbhamnews.com.

And you cant keep an Indian Axis deer either. Interesting how the DNR laws vary from state to state.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Half the acres of our local rez is privately owned but no way in hell would I attempt to run a game farm here.
(or anywhere...)

Ya.....I have been on a lot of Reservations.....the Northern Cheyenne, Rocky Boy, Wind River, Blackfeet. Not a deer to be seen other than the Flathead. I couldn't imagine Fort Peck being ANY better.

You haven't looked very hard then. I have lived on two of those reservations, Wind River and Fort Peck, and there were definitely sufficient deer for hunting.

Was married to an enrolled member of the Fort Peck Reservation and could legally hunt there--and did for several years with her grandfather, a noted hunter. Could always find sufficient deer to fill the freezer, even though it was a period with miserable winters, one getting as cold as -58.

Have also hunted on other reservations in the general region, from Montana to Nebraska, after buying a license, for animals from deer to upland birds. The hunting was always at least as good as areas outside the reservations, and sometimes better.

That said, I would not attempt to run a "game farm" on a reservation--but then would not run a "game farm" anywhere.

That's good to hear.
It hasn't been my experience but I also haven't gone out of my way to actually look for critters on any reservations.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A fair few elk get shot in the Rocky Boy shidt hole. Lots of big bulls there too. If they could restrain themselves and manage it within their special “sovereign nation” bullshidt rules they could actually make money.

But they’d rather smoke meth and shoot elk when they get hungry.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

(or anywhere...)

I used to rent a small hatchery, the third oldest in the state, as a matter of fact, that was a private in holding on the res.

It was.....interesting. The people I rented from was a famous out of stater that didn’t even know they had bought property on the Rez until I told them.....

Usually, we deal with the enough agencies to get your fill, EPA, State DEQ, state water resources, corps of engineers on some construction projects.... then add another layer of tribal bureaucracy over the top of it, including TERO. Felt like being back in the old country, regulation wise.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

(or anywhere...)

That's good to hear.
It hasn't been my experience but I also haven't gone out of my way to actually look for critters on any reservations.

I always thought John and Sam looked alike...

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch

(or anywhere...)

I used to rent a small hatchery, the third oldest in the state, as a matter of fact, that was a private in holding on the res.

It was.....interesting. The people I rented from was a famous out of stater that didn’t even know they had bought property on the Rez until I told them.....

Usually, we deal with the enough agencies to get your fill, EPA, State DEQ, state water resources, corps of engineers on some construction projects.... then add another layer of tribal bureaucracy over the top of it, including TERO. Felt like being back in the old country, regulation wise.

Sheesh,

I don't envy you that.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the criticism of high fences.

Guys bait, use stands, blinds with HVAC, use scents. Compounds and crossbows, expanding broadheads, carbon arrows, in archery season. Game cameras, radios, hunt from trucks/ATVs/snowmobiles. Use in lines, sabots,
Even smokeless powder in muzzleloader season.

All legal, somewhere.
Hopefully, where you all do it.

But let some one pay to hunt inside hundreds of acres fenced.
In a situation where a fence never enters the equation, and the
hypocrites climb on their pulpit and display their piety.

Hunted hogs in a fenced operation once.
My biggest complaint was being forced to use a stand.
It wasn't hunting, it was waiting. Then shooting a target.
I could have more engaged in hunting there, if allowed, then
many ever sctually do in unfenced areas.

The point is,
Shut the heck up, and let a man hunt as he sees fit. If it's legal.
If you know he bought a buck shot it in a pen, then claims otherwise,
call him out as a liar. That's fair.

But his buck is as good to him as your "fair chase" buck.
The one fed supplements, crops raised to feed him the best nutrients.
The one genetically manipulated, by systematic culling and even
importing bucks. Then you brag like it was a true product of nature.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Guys bait, use stands, blinds with HVAC, use scents. Compounds and crossbows, expanding broadheads, carbon arrows, in archery season. Game cameras, radios, hunt from trucks/ATVs/snowmobiles. Use in lines, sabots,

All legal, somewhere.

The point is,

Fugg him in the neck.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Dillon,

you make a lot of good points. But in regards to the OPs story, it is not clear as to whether a fence enters the equation or not. It does mention 7000 acres or something, and if not cross fenced and cross fenced again, then it would likely be more of a fair chase hunt ............but just for farm raised, stocked animals.

However, it is mentioned in the story that the fella in question paid, in advance, for THAT particular buck. And the "ranch" guaranteed he'd get it. 100% success rate. Which would lead a person to believe they either have him in a smaller enclosure, where they know they can get to him when the hunter arrives, or they have a tracking collar on him so they can find him in that 7000 acres of theirs.

So I'm thinking a fence of some sort is involved and that hardly seems like "hunting", not even similar to your hog hunt. I'd guess those hogs on that property didn't have to walk under your stand, and you might not have gotten a shot?

And by the way, I hope you had a Happy Pennsylvania Thanksgiving.

Deer season starting tomorrow? Or Saturday nowadays?

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

All legal, somewhere.

The point is,

Fugg him in the neck.

Lol

Mechanical broadheads = high fence livestock hunts.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know my point.
And a comparison isn't a claim of equal.
Only examples in various ideas and pushing the envelopes.

It's about choosing your own standards within the law and ethics.
Ethics being the issue.

That point was exactly what is primitive hunting.
For most today. It's not. At all.
It's another opportunity.
With every technology advantage legal.

Here's one for you.
We used to butcher hogs and beef.
Often had a newbie show up on butcher day.
Most would want to shoot an animal.
Hunters, they had never killed a hog or cow.
Or anything in a pen.
It was the experience, I guess.
But it meant something to them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel
Not going to lie when we were teens we use to road hunt, and go into the king ranch and poach, pretty much a right of passage back then. Then if you got caught it was a 250 dollar fine, defiantly not worth it now that they can hit you with a felony. We even had a police scanner in my buddy's truck and would listen to the game wardens. Once in a while, we'd go out spotlighting but not take any guns and let them catch us just to mess with them.

It was like a war zone at night near my dad's ranch in North Central Texas about 90 miles west of Fort Worth. We lived about 15 miles from the nearest town and it was just a spot in the road. Rarely saw a game warden, but plenty of poachers and spotlighters...

My dad drug a big post oak log across a blind curve in a road one night where he knew some poachers were getting a deer. Only way they had to get out of the place was on this road. They came around that curve hauling arse and phugged up there daddy's new truck really bad on that log...They had a long walk back to the highway...
lol

one time we were running from the game warden and we were coming up on a curve that you had to slow down to about 30 to make the curve. we were running with the lights off Allan downshifted to slow down as not to hit the brake lights, and we made the curve. game warden didn't and went out into a plowed field. the whole time we were listening on the scanner. Allen did get caught years later on George Strait's ranch, He never gave up outlaw hunting after we grew up and it cost him big time. he lost his guns for that and 6 months locked up.

That story reminds me of when a good friend of mine bought a Dodge Ramcharger from his father-in-law of questionable reputation.
We were checking it out under the hood when we found a strange out of place toggle switch on the firewall. Well, that tweaked our curiosity and started to check to see what that switch did.
Found out after quite a lot of trial and error that it completely disabled all tail light functions.
We named it the "game warden switch".

The FIL acted like he never knew it was there, Yeah right.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,125
Posts18,483,808
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.