Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Love the criticism of high fences.

Guys bait, use stands, blinds with HVAC, use scents. Compounds and crossbows, expanding broadheads, carbon arrows, in archery season. Game cameras, radios, hunt from trucks/ATVs/snowmobiles. Use in lines, sabots,
Even smokeless powder in muzzleloader season.

All legal, somewhere.
Hopefully, where you all do it.

But let some one pay to hunt inside hundreds of acres fenced.
In a situation where a fence never enters the equation, and the
hypocrites climb on their pulpit and display their piety.

Hunted hogs in a fenced operation once.
My biggest complaint was being forced to use a stand.
It wasn't hunting, it was waiting. Then shooting a target.
I could have more engaged in hunting there, if allowed, then
many ever sctually do in unfenced areas.

The point is,
Shut the heck up, and let a man hunt as he sees fit. If it's legal.
If you know he bought a buck shot it in a pen, then claims otherwise,
call him out as a liar. That's fair.

But his buck is as good to him as your "fair chase" buck.
The one fed supplements, crops raised to feed him the best nutrients.
The one genetically manipulated, by systematic culling and even
importing bucks. Then you brag like it was a true product of nature.

When you say the fence "never enters the equation" you need to qualify what that means. There's a reason B&C doesn't recognize high fence animals.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As in the guy hunting that day, in that place isnt affected in that hunt,
by the fence.
It's big enough that "natural movement" isn't impeded
in a way to contain the animal and assist in the hunt.

A guy forced to sit in a stand, on hundreds of acres, isn't going to use the fence as part
of his hunt.

Sounds like a lawyer!

I always though of it as driving game to a pinch point.
Or maybe sitting on the fence near food or water, using the
fence to force travel. Kinda like how a good hunter does with
natural terrain? Only with an impenetrable fence. blush

Wasn't like that at all.

But from a B&C standpoint,
You can't risk the fence being used as a corral.
And unnaturally controlling predators, genetics, food, minerals,
all impinge on the integrity of a record book created for ranking
wild animals.

How to deal with the various public and private
schemes to manipulate genetics and nutrition on unfenced deer,
is something on one wants to think about. It would impede interest,
and an enormous flow of money.

There is also the legitimate argument that no matter what people
do, wild animals with free range aren't "controlled".
Results aren't a given.
True. Beyond a shadow.

But, if control isn't desired or being intended,
they why all the efforts?

Thing here is I'm not a big proponent of fenced hunts.
Did it once. Would do it again.
But it's like Dutch's talk of stocked ponds.
Who wouldn't enjoy catching a catfish from a friends
stocked pond/lake/water tank, and frying it for supper?
All the while knowing it's just not the same as fishing
a river.

The whole point of the first post was,

"Why in the Hell do guys worry so much about someone,
somewhere, hunting in a way they personally dont?"

If it's legal and ethical in the place they do it, IDGAF!
Even if it's not, I'm not the Worlds Possum Cop.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
IDGAF either. But to say that high fences don't change things is not accurate IMO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

If it's legal and ethical in the place they do it, IDGAF!

I totally agree. What is, and what is not "ethical" though varies widely and is often the source of these disagreements.

This isn't directed at you Dillon....but to the thread in general.
The deer in the OP sounds to be a totally pathetic canned hunt deal. I won't say the ranch's business model is "wrong", as I just DGAF however not all high fenced hunts are that way. A classic example is when I spent 4 days inside a somewhat small fenced area in Argentina in 2013 hunting fallow deer. I believe it was around 3000 acres. There were holes in the fence that allowed some critters to come and go, but that is besides the point. I spent 3 days before I even saw a fallow deer, and finally on the 4th day I killed a young buck. Nothing special. It was a pretty tough hunt, despite being guided IMO.

Contrast that to the DIY dall sheep I killed this past August...yes I hiked my ballz off, but the critter was way easier to outsmart and other than the physical aspect, the hunt was WAY easier.

There's lots of ways to look at these things.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BIG difference in that Argentina hunt and what the OP hunt appears to be.

I bet the outfitters down south didn't have you pick your fallow deer, pay for it, then guarantee you'd be able to take it................100% guarantee as I recall.

But, if a dude, or gal, wants to spend $20K for a set of antlers they like, maybe I don't care if they shoot it or by it from an antler merchant.

I do have this tendency to believe it shouldn't be called a "hunt" though. Leave that language out and I'm ok................mostly.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I bet the outfitters down south didn't have you pick your fallow deer, pay for it, then guarantee you'd be able to take it................100% guarantee as I recall.

But, if a dude, or gal, wants to spend $20K for a set of antlers they like, maybe I don't care if they shoot it or by it from an antler merchant.

I do have this tendency to believe it shouldn't be called a "hunt" though. Leave that language out and I'm ok................mostly.

You'll get no argument from me on that Geno.....but that is why I specified: "The deer in the OP sounds to be a totally pathetic canned hunt deal. I won't say the ranch's business model is "wrong", as I just DGAF however not all high fenced hunts are that way".

I was responding to some posters who were indicating that they felt all high fenced hunts are easy and unethical.
I most certainly have never "picked" an animal out, paid for it then got a guarantee to kill it. It just isn't how I roll.

I do know of one BC outfitter who (back when they could hunt griz) had I believe 1 griz on their quota and had game cam pics on his phone of the bear that whoever his client was for that year was going to hunt. I guess there was no guarantee his client could kill that particular bear, but that was how he sold his bear hunts. I was talking to him at a trade show when I was trying to decide on where to go in Canada for a mountain caribou/griz combo hunt. It didn't interest me at all.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Valsdad

You'll get no argument from me on that Geno.....but that is why I specified: "The deer in the OP sounds to be a totally pathetic canned hunt deal. I won't say the ranch's business model is "wrong", as I just DGAF however not all high fenced hunts are that way".

I was responding to some posters who were indicating that they felt all high fenced hunts are easy and unethical.
I most certainly have never "picked" an animal out, paid for it then got a guarantee to kill it. It just isn't how I roll.

I do know of one BC outfitter who (back when they could hunt griz) had I believe 1 griz on their quota and had game cam pics on his phone of the bear that whoever his client was for that year was going to hunt. I guess there was no guarantee his client could kill that particular bear, but that was how he sold his bear hunts. I was talking to him at a trade show when I was trying to decide on where to go in Canada for a mountain caribou/griz combo hunt. It didn't interest me at all.

some of the high fence ranches down here are huge, I've been on 80000-acre high fence ranches doing oil field work.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For me and my perspective alone,

I don’t hunt because I need meat. I hunt because I relish the experience. If all I wanted meat I could plug a doe I in my yard any given day with a .22. Or buy a steer/pig and feed it out. Turn it loose and say “Remember Goliad!” when I blew its guts out.

I’d absolutely go someplace and get hammered drunk around a campfire then go out and shoot a pig. I don’t give a fugk. That’s just hanging out with buddies and shooting things. Which is fun. And I have more respect for a guy that does that at a hunting camp than I do the guys that buy hunts at high fence operations.

A non fair chase hunt inside a high fence just doesn’t do it for me. Sorry not sorry.

Not debating the “legalities” or the conservative bona fides of somebody with money to burn. Have at it. But own it.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Billy and T,
We don't disagree.

Before I went with my Dad and a few of his old friends on that hunt,
I had a 100% negative opinion of them.
Now, it's about 25%. On the good ones.

The deer for sale in the OP?

That's at the bottom end of the spectrum.
Both the hunt and the amount someone would pay.

But, as to my 1st post.

Their show, its legal, its his money.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.