Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Timney makes an MOA trigger. I bought one and couldn't handle the flat trigger shoe - different from any other Timney I've had (M77 and M700). WTF? Went back to the MOA. I need to put in an Ernie spring this off-season.

It looks like the trigger on the Browning. I wonder if they're interchangeable. BTW, on my FWT even an Ernie spring didn't reduce the pull that much, but a few careful snips off a coil and it was good to go.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by beretzs
I grabbed one of the Supergrades recently. Not a bad gun so. Took a bit to scratch all of the crap outta the trigger weight screw but I milked it down to about 3lbs. So far I only shot the first 20 factory ammo through it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Once I get some empty brass I’ll see what it does with hand loads. I was kinda hoping it’d like the factory 143’s a bit more.

Exceptional wood.

DF

It’s kind of a sweetheart DF.. didn’t think I’d like it near this much but I might just get to hunt.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's a very beautiful rifle!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I replaced a couple of the MOA triggers on my son’s rifles, with Timney trigger. I agree, I would have preferred the curved trigger shoe over the flat. Though after some use, I adapted.

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Does anyone make a different trigger for the MOA'd M70s.

Timney makes an MOA trigger. I bought one and couldn't handle the flat trigger shoe - different from any other Timney I've had (M77 and M700). WTF? Went back to the MOA. I need to put in an Ernie spring this off-season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can’t remember if I posted it or not but the trigger spring took them from 4+ to a nice 2.75’ish. I need to swap the 325’s spring next but the triggers are quite nice now.

The adjustment on the MOA is really there for looks. You could swap the springs over and never put the stud back in and it’d likely change nothing. I put it back to keep crap out but that’s about all it does, at best.

MCarbo has a great video showing how useless the stud is.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They must "clean up" very nicely after you modded them so!

Wow that one is a real beaut, beretzs! happy to see it looks AND shoots well!

The only Portuguese M70 I had was having a lot of feeding issues. A Featherweight in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shot very well but quite a hit or miss feeder. Everything else about the rifle really seemed very nice though. High build quality otherwise. Bet a bit of judicious polishing would have slicked that right up but it was hunting season and no time.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I replaced a couple of the MOA triggers on my son’s rifles, with Timney trigger. I agree, I would have preferred the curved trigger shoe over the flat. Though after some use, I adapted.

Total lateral move to replace a MOA trigger with anything else like the Timney. An ernie the gunsmith spring works just fine. I've done at least 7 and it has brought the pull weight down to 2.5 pounds. one I replaced, even went down to a crisp clean 2 3/8 pounds. What I think is comical is guys replacing the MOA, just because. Its not necessary. The reasons guys bad mouth them is not because they suck, per se. It is because Winchester/Browning replaced a tried and true trigger system that didn't need touched.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Is it possible to put an old style model 70 trigger into a new model 70?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Is it possible to put an old style model 70 trigger into a new model 70?

Nope

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
By the way Scotty, you did real well on that supergrade. That is one beautiful rifle and it shoots great. Chambered in 6.5 PRC too? Damn..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
By the way Scotty, you did real well on that supergrade. That is one beautiful rifle and it shoots great. Chambered in 6.5 PRC too? Damn..

Yup. 6.5 PRC. It’s doing pretty good with the 129 Nosler’s and 26. Good enough to hunt with for sure. I’ll mess with it more once I can get brass.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GeoW
That's telling..

Yea it is. I know what a good trigger feels like.
That cast metal classic trigger is truly trash.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/30/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yup. 6.5 PRC. It’s doing pretty good with the 129 Nosler’s and 26. Good enough to hunt with for sure. I’ll mess with it more once I can get brass.

My buddy found some PRC and Creedmoor brass when we were out elk hunting. He asked me how good the 6.5 PRO is.. I told him he needs to get some new glasses... Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s a neat cartridge. It doesn’t spin my head but performance wise it seems pretty good on first glance. I’ve got a good load for it right now. I’ll mess with it after hunting more.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I did not replace the trigger because of pull weight. I am well aware of replacing springs. The factory MOA trigges were functional in stock form. I don’t recall exactly but think both measured around 3-1/4 lbs on my trigger pull gauge.

I did not like the trigger shoe metal, the look or the feel of it. I assume it is sintered metal. Nor did I care for the forward movement of the trigger shoe. I did not care for the visible spring connection when looking at the trigger inlet. Each to their own, I replaced the trigger.
I assume the one piece bottom metal was sintered metal also. It too was replaced. It was also functional. I will suffer the weight penalty of more traditional steel.

The aboves were on a South Carolina stainless laminated Alaskan and Portuguese stainless extreme weather.

Originally Posted by ldmay375

Total lateral move to replace a MOA trigger with anything else like the Timney. An ernie the gunsmith spring works just fine. I've done at least 7 and it has brought the pull weight down to 2.5 pounds. one I replaced, even went down to a crisp clean 2 3/8 pounds. What I think is comical is guys replacing the MOA, just because. Its not necessary. The reasons guys bad mouth them is not because they suck, per se. It is because Winchester/Browning replaced a tried and true trigger system that didn't need touched.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I recently bought the Model 70 Alaskan In 300wm. Nice rifle, and I can't think of anything about the rifle that I do not like. Trigger, stock, finish, barrel profile, sights, everything is super nice.

So far, I have only shot it with the irons but I'm planning to put a scope on it soon with some QD mounts.
Accuracy with the 40 rounds I have put through it so far has been impressive IMO.

For comparison, I also own a pre-64, featherweight .270.

The new rifle seems just as nice. The action is not as smooth but I would expect this when comparing a new rifle to one made in '61 that has been well used.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad you are liking it!
Why they stopped making the Alaskan in stainless is beyond me however - I’d be surprised if 20% of new rifles sold in AK are blued/wood.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Glad you are liking it!
Why they stopped making the Alaskan in stainless is beyond me however - I’d be surprised if 20% of new rifles sold in AK are blued/wood.

Stainless or even ceracoat would be nice options in my opinion. I've made two trips up North so far and both times I brought blued guns because that's what I happened to have at the time. They definitely needed a lot more attention in the field then what I was used to up until those trips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Centurion75
I recently bought the Model 70 Alaskan In 300wm. Nice rifle, and I can't think of anything about the rifle that I do not like. Trigger, stock, finish, barrel profile, sights, everything is super nice.

I have one in that caliber. .300WM is a caliber I have absolutely no use for in my neck of the woods. But the rifle is flawless. It's a sub MOA rifle even with cheaper Remington Core Lokt and and Norma Whitetail ammo. I wantyed one in .30-06 but found this and and decided it would be my only belted cartridge rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Glad you are liking it!

The stainless steel and dark maple featherweights are still on my radar.

Semper Fi
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.