Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Has anyone, aside from me, actually helped SB with a bullet choice for his pew-pew ?

🦫

Hey azzwhole. He din ask about dill doughs. Those dont schhot fer crap outta 357 riffles. wink

He didn’t did he? I figured my buddy already has a case of them and knows how dangerous they are on game animals.

LMAO

🦫

PS

SB, please don’t put me on ignore...LOL

You sumbitch. This almost slipped by, now it’s on.

Oh, hell no. Please dont pound the Beaver!

Beavers love that [bleep].

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barnes XPB?

Have any of you jack offs used this one?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just my two cents, not knowing what rifle, my early Marlin 357 has micro-groove rifling so I would not use cast bullets in mine. I use bigger guns for deer, but have shot maybe a dozen coyotes using factory Federal 158 HP and SP rounds that are from the mid 80's. The results were impressive,big exit wounds, most one shot kills. I recovered a couple bullets and they had textbook mushrooming. These were eastern coyotes averaging 35 to 45 pounds, I weigh them in the field and they stay there. Based on my limited observations I would stay away from bullets designed for handguns for deer if it was me, seem to expand too soon.I have no experience with hogs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Masshunter
Just my two cents, not knowing what rifle, my early Marlin 357 has micro-groove rifling so I would not use cast bullets in mine. I use bigger guns for deer, but have shot maybe a dozen coyotes using factory Federal 158 HP and SP rounds that are from the mid 80's. The results were impressive,big exit wounds, most one shot kills. I recovered a couple bullets and they had textbook mushrooming. These were eastern coyotes averaging 35 to 45 pounds, I weigh them in the field and they stay there. Based on my limited observations I would stay away from bullets designed for handguns for deer if it was me, seem to expand too soon.I have no experience with hogs.
I got pass throughs with broadside lung shots on deer with factory 158 gr. Winchester sp's. A quartering to shoulder shot exited the rear ribcage on the off side with same. Win and Rem 158 hp's were usually found nicely mushroomed against off side hide on broadside shots while 158 gr Hornady xtp's most often exited.. No deer went more thasn 60 yards after being shot. One at just over 200 yards with 158 gr Remington HP exited on a broadside lung shot and the deer was down in 40 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've taken a half dozen whitetails with a Marlin 1894 CB LTD and more than a dozen pigs with the same carbine ... just not big pigs. Garden variety wild pigs that we have a lot of around here.

SWC 158 hardcast work fine on pigs under 100 pounds but but you really need to load for velocities up in the 1500 fps range and keep your shots under 50 meters.

Pigs over 100 pounds you need to hardcast into the 170-180 grain weight range and still keep your velocities over 1250 fps.

Whitetails, your 158 grain White Box Winchester JSPs are just fine inside of 75 meters. If you handload there are a couple of good polymer-filled HPs out there that hold together well and that will allow you to get the speeds on-up-there ... Hornady FTX is one, Federal makes one ... name escapes me at the moment but I keep hearing how good it is, it's a newer line made for straight walled cartridges .... Hammerdown maybe? The Leverevolution stuff is all good, I've used that more than anything on whitetails out of my leverguns. My wife sort of took over my 1894 CB LTD after she had her first luck with it and I went back to my old reliables ... there are a lot more options out there, for levergun hunters, than there used to be. The Leverevolution stuff was ground-breaking but honestly I took so many pigs and whitetails with the old JSP stuff along with some lazercast hardcast stuff, especially with the 44 mag, the 444 Marlin and the 45-70, .... the Leverevolution stuff really helped with the 357 crowd.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
I like hard cast boolits myself. We killed a pile of deer with them last weekend!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nice deer!

LoL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I like hard cast boolits myself. We killed a pile of deer with them last weekend!

Nice deer!

LoL

🦫

Hahaha, tff. Winner, winner...

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Has anyone, aside from me, actually helped SB with a bullet choice for his pew-pew ?

🦫

I did I did!!

Noice!

👊🏽🦫

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Marlin micro groove rifles will shoot cast just fine
with the correct bullet diameter

Slug the barrel like you're supposed to, and you'll
learn the correct diameter bullet for your specific rifle

I keyholed a goodly quantity of .429 cast before I
realized that I didn't slug the barrel to see what I
needed to use with one of mine. The correctly
sized .433 bullets do just dandy

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SCRooster
I've taken a half dozen whitetails with a Marlin 1894 CB LTD and more than a dozen pigs with the same carbine ... just not big pigs. Garden variety wild pigs that we have a lot of around here.

SWC 158 hardcast work fine on pigs under 100 pounds but but you really need to load for velocities up in the 1500 fps range and keep your shots under 50 meters.

Pigs over 100 pounds you need to hardcast into the 170-180 grain weight range and still keep your velocities over 1250 fps.

Whitetails, your 158 grain White Box Winchester JSPs are just fine inside of 75 meters. If you handload there are a couple of good polymer-filled HPs out there that hold together well and that will allow you to get the speeds on-up-there ... Hornady FTX is one, Federal makes one ... name escapes me at the moment but I keep hearing how good it is, it's a newer line made for straight walled cartridges .... Hammerdown maybe? The Leverevolution stuff is all good, I've used that more than anything on whitetails out of my leverguns. My wife sort of took over my 1894 CB LTD after she had her first luck with it and I went back to my old reliables ... there are a lot more options out there, for levergun hunters, than there used to be. The Leverevolution stuff was ground-breaking but honestly I took so many pigs and whitetails with the old JSP stuff along with some lazercast hardcast stuff, especially with the 44 mag, the 444 Marlin and the 45-70, .... the Leverevolution stuff really helped with the 357 crowd.

Good stuff, Rooster.

Humm, im wondering if the term Leverrevolution dates back to Lincoln's Henry Rifle.

https://amhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=3#:~:text=The%20Henry%2C%20the%20first%20practical,Department%20between%201862%20and%201865.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/01/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SCRooster

Those are all very mild velocities out of a carbine barrel. Factory 158 jsp/hp ammo usually clocks 1750-1800 fps out of my 1894C. Handloads with H110/296 will get over 1800 and almost 2000 fps with Lil' Gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice deer!

LoL

🦫

Should have planted a food plot for em

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

🦫

Hey azzwhole. He din ask about dill doughs. Those dont schhot fer crap outta 357 riffles. wink

He didn’t did he? I figured my buddy already has a case of them and knows how dangerous they are on game animals.

LMAO

🦫

PS

SB, please don’t put me on ignore...LOL

You sumbitch. This almost slipped by, now it’s on.

Oh, hell no. Please dont pound the Beaver!

Beavers love that [bleep].

Umm, no they don’t.

Listen to jag....Don’t pound Beaver.

LOL

🦫

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Barnes XPB?

Tried em, couldn't make em fly straight

I've never had any kind of luck with any
of the barnes products I've tried

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I cast my own 158 semi wadcutter.

Works in 38 as well.

But if i had to buy one i might try the gold dot.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys getting exits?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I got pass throughs with broadside lung shots on deer with factory 158 gr. Winchester sp's. A quartering to shoulder shot exited the rear ribcage on the off side with same. Win and Rem 158 hp's were usually found nicely mushroomed against off side hide on broadside shots while 158 gr Hornady xtp's most often exited.. No deer went more thasn 60 yards after being shot. One at just over 200 yards with 158 gr Remington HP exited on a broadside lung shot and the deer was down in 40 yards.
Already covered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Partitions have been working good for me in 22-250 and 6mm Remington.

YMMV

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.