Hop To
Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by wyoming260
. . . all marking would vanish over night. .

I presume it's not lawful to molest or destroy survey monuments in WYO.

Laws are only useful if they are enforced. I have seen a mile of Lathe, ribbon, paint and corner stakes with caps disappear between 4pm and 7 am the next morning , as If I was never there. The law enforcement in that area could not understand why there was a problem.

Last edited by wyoming260; 12/01/21.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The one area that people do not realize about the limited access is that if the ranchers are protecting it as their own then the individual Government agencies feel they do not have to bother. The get free stewardship of our land and don't have to lift a finger. They collect their use fees and mineral rights were applicable and spend the rest of their day shuffling papers and looking busy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems to be a couple of misconceptions rumbling thru here.
1. The ranches that have the bam, forest service, or school trust lands within the boundary of their private lands, do not get it for free. They pay leases to the controlling agencies, and maintain the land at their own expense. It ain't free.
2 . Many of these "landlocked" parcels and the trouble getting access to them stems more from either large money operations owning the "ranch" for their own little private hunting/fishing retreats, and often times the big kerfuffle on trespass stems from an outfitter that has leased the hunting rights on the private land.

Probably not many folks with enough gray hair around here to remember back when the Safari Club used to lease ranches, and post everything, and block roads...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I think all the western states have the same problem. This map is where we saw a bunch of elk a couple days ago. It's not a corner but they sure have you locked out of public land. The blue is state land, the white is private and posted on every fence post. Needless to say, the landowner also 'owns' the state land for all practical purposes. All we could do is sit at the gate and glass them. I don't know if it's true but I've heard that this landowner will let you hunt it for $1000.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Can you access it via a waterway, e.g., wade down a creek?

805 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranch13
1. The ranches that have the bam, forest service, or school trust lands within the boundary of their private lands, do not get it for free. They pay leases to the controlling agencies, and maintain the land at their own expense. It ain't free.
2 . Many of these "landlocked" parcels and the trouble getting access to them stems more from either large money operations owning the "ranch" for their own little private hunting/fishing retreats, and often times the big kerfuffle on trespass stems from an outfitter that has leased the hunting rights on the private land.

Probably not many folks with enough gray hair around here to remember back when the Safari Club used to lease ranches, and post everything, and block roads...

I’m well aware that ranches pay for the leases of OUR public lands and while I agree that they do maintain that land they also use it to hopefully make a profit every year. This I have no problem with. When they treat it like it’s “their” land and don’t want any of the public to use it that’s what gets me.
Also regarding the “landlocked” parcels I understand how many of these came to be and don’t have really have a problem with it. If a parcel of public touches another parcel of public at a designated corner I don’t understand why public access is an issue.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The easiest way to solve the issue, would be in instances where the "public" land is unfenced from the private land, would be to set 4 posts on each corner providing a 4ft or smaller access across the corner from the "public" to the "public", and then increase the trespass fine to something on the order of 2000$, that way it might ensure that the "public" doesn't "inadvertently wander off onto the private land. But then again somebody is going to have to pay for the posts at the current price of about 7$ a pop, not counting the labor expense to get the survey right and the posts and signage installed.
I do find it interesting that the story goes a Game Warden watched the whole thing, and didn't issue a trespass citation, they can and do do that. Seems to me if he/she saw no trespassing going on it would be a simple matter to have him testify in court, the case would be dismissed and no need for a go fund me page. Supposedly the same 4 "hunters" got in the same pickle with the same "landowner" the year before. I'm thinking there's probably a bit more to this than what is cruising around on the internet, and it will be interesting to see what does come about, when it gets to court..
It's a damn shame that the money involved in "hunting" in these modern times is pitting "sportsmen" against landowners. I wonder when TR used the antiquities laws to bust the part of the constitution clearly defining what land the federal government can own, even had a clue as to the nasty mess that would follow 100 and some years down the road.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 805

I’m well aware that ranches pay for the leases of OUR public lands and while I agree that they do maintain that land they also use it to hopefully make a profit every year. This I have no problem with. When they treat it like it’s “their” land and don’t want any of the public to use it that’s what gets me.
Also regarding the “landlocked” parcels I understand how many of these came to be and don’t have really have a problem with it. If a parcel of public touches another parcel of public at a designated corner I don’t understand why public access is an issue.

Snivel and whine all you want. There is a bonded and legal agreement to the possession of the right to lease public land for agricultural use. Too bad you don't like it, but that is just the way it is. Stay off or go buy or lease your own damn land and then you can let everyone on for a big picnic.

Surface Leasing

B. Procedure for Leasing the Surface of Trust Lands

viii. Additional considerations
(i.) Posting against trespassers
“Any leaseholder of sixteenth section land, or land granted in lieu thereof, shall be authorized to
post such land against trespassers; provided that such posting shall not prohibit the inspection of
said lands by individuals responsible for the management or supervision thereof acting in their
official capacity.” Miss. Code Ann. Section 29-3-54.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Wyoming, if the state land is publicly accessible you can not prohibit or inhibit access to that parcel. You also are forbidden from leasing it as part of a hunting lease, and prohibited from allowing forbearing trapping on it. It is possible in some scenarios to get the access controlled by making a very compelling case to the state land board.
BLM land you will loose the BLM lease if you prohibit access to the blm ground if it is publicly accessible, ie from a public road. It's also possible in addition to loosing the lease to face a civil fine.
Parcels of State or Federal land that do not have public access you are under no requirements to allow free access to it, as neither the State nor the Federal's have an easement to it other than administrative purpose, by the state or federal employee's.
Lots of problems with irrational land owners and irresponsible "concerned sportsmen" have got all of us into a just nasty damn mess, every fall it seems.

www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just a reminder: this is about corner crossing, not accessible public lands.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is there a law against corner jumping in Wyoming? If yes, they will be found guilty. The time to challenge a law is when it is proposed, published in the State Register and comments are requested. Once the law is enacted, you will have a tough time time changing it. I'm all for accessing public land, there's a lot of money keeping the public out.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

Parts one and two both true. I have enough grey hair to remember when ranchers welcomed antelope hunters. Used to be a coupon on the license that allowed the rancher a small payback for letting hunters come on the land with the intent of thinning the population. The landowners I met would go over the locations, give helpful advice, allow camping, etc.This was before hunting became an Industry.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Many of these ranches are no longer family owned. They've been bought out by big money, people like Bill Gates and the Koch brothers, 2 of the biggest landowners in the US. Their decisions are made from an office in a big city high rise, not by the guy in the cowboy hat out feeding cattle. They aren't the people who you want making the decisions affecting your outdoor recreation.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Many of these ranches are no longer family owned. They've been bought out by big money, people like Bill Gates and the Koch brothers, 2 of the biggest landowners in the US. Their decisions are made from an office in a big city high rise, not by the guy in the cowboy hat out feeding cattle. They aren't the people who you want making the decisions affecting your outdoor recreation.

The Koch Brothers allow access on most of their nearly 300,000 acre Montana ranch.

805 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The easiest way to solve the issue, would be in instances where the "public" land is unfenced from the private land, would be to set 4 posts on each corner providing a 4ft or smaller access across the corner from the "public" to the "public", and then increase the trespass fine to something on the order of 2000$, that way it might ensure that the "public" doesn't "inadvertently wander off onto the private land. But then again somebody is going to have to pay for the posts at the current price of about 7$ a pop, not counting the labor expense to get the survey right and the posts and signage installed.
I do find it interesting that the story goes a Game Warden watched the whole thing, and didn't issue a trespass citation, they can and do do that. Seems to me if he/she saw no trespassing going on it would be a simple matter to have him testify in court, the case would be dismissed and no need for a go fund me page. Supposedly the same 4 "hunters" got in the same pickle with the same "landowner" the year before. I'm thinking there's probably a bit more to this than what is cruising around on the internet, and it will be interesting to see what does come about, when it gets to court..
It's a damn shame that the money involved in "hunting" in these modern times is pitting "sportsmen" against landowners. I wonder when TR used the antiquities laws to bust the part of the constitution clearly defining what land the federal government can own, even had a clue as to the nasty mess that would follow 100 and some years down the road.

The Game Warden can only write a civil trespassing ticket. This was a criminal trespassing ticket thus the Sheriff being called.
Also the hunters have taken a few elk from this public land so I’m sure that has got something to do with it.

805 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by 805

Snivel and whine all you want. There is a bonded and legal agreement to the possession of the right to lease public land for agricultural use. Too bad you don't like it, but that is just the way it is. Stay off or go buy or lease your own damn land and then you can let everyone on for a big picnic.

Surface Leasing

B. Procedure for Leasing the Surface of Trust Lands

viii. Additional considerations
(i.) Posting against trespassers
“Any leaseholder of sixteenth section land, or land granted in lieu thereof, shall be authorized to
post such land against trespassers; provided that such posting shall not prohibit the inspection of
said lands by individuals responsible for the management or supervision thereof acting in their
official capacity.” Miss. Code Ann. Section 29-3-54.

No sniveling or whining from me. I’ll continue to hunt Wyoming as often as I can draw and legally access all the public lands I can.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The way I see donating to BHA go fundme on this issue is YOUR MAKING A PACT WITH THE DEVIL!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805

The Game Warden can only write a civil trespassing ticket. This was a criminal trespassing ticket thus the Sheriff being called.
Also the hunters have taken a few elk from this public land so I’m sure that has got something to do with it.

Sorry but you are just flat wrong on the trespass thing. The trespass ticket issued by the Game Warden carries the same affect as the one from a county sheriff's deputy.
Now I am wondering if this incident is the reason a large HMA in the Shirley Basin is now marked as closed on the HMA maps.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by specneeds
If the BLM really gave a darn they would be doing land swaps or condemning 6’ wide easements into any public parcel greater than 500 acres that was landlocked. I’m fine with no vehicle walk in access only but no access is idiotic.
Land swaps often get way above the local BLM office level. IIRC most would require congressional approval. That makes "common sense" land swaps very messy...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It takes approximately 6 years to get even the simplest and common sense land swaps thru the process, IF some "concerned" group doesn't file a lawsuit in a friendly court 1000's of miles away from the proposed swap.

www.historicshooting.com
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The charge is civil trespass not criminal and yes a GW can write for criminal trespass if you trespass to hunt.

Money not used in the court case will be donated to Access yes in Wyoming.\

There is no law on the books in Wyoming about corner crossing and our legislature does not want to address it it seems. This case may change that though.

Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,622
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.